Author Topic: Annual Meeting Minutes - 2010 September 26  (Read 10944 times)

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
Annual Meeting Minutes - 2010 September 26
« on: September 30, 2010, 06:09:36 pm »
Hey y'all!

Here are the minutes from the Annual Membership Meeting held September 26.
http://www.kumoricon.org/files/minutes/kumoricon-minutes-member-20100926.pdf

Please post any corrections in this thread.  

Thanks!

Edit: The most recent corrected version is here:
http://www.kumoricon.org/files/minutes/kumoricon-minutes-member-20100926-corrected-2.pdf
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:31:32 am by kjayers »
2015 Secretary & MSO Manager
2014 Secretary & MSO Manager
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary
2008 Assistant Secretary & Parliamentarian

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
Re: Annual Meeting Minutes - 2010 September 26
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 10:25:46 pm »
Nothing looks out of place to me.

However I do want to know: why is discussion moved to the forums between meetings if the language of the motion in question must remain static between meetings?  It seemed like a surprise to the process that there was even a different version of the motion to consider.

- edit -

One thing did however strike me as possibly missing.  Elections were part of the meeting as well and I didn't see them in the area I'd expect to find them.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 10:38:13 pm by MichaelEvans »
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 02:16:55 am »
Elections, when they occur, are the first item of new business at a standard meeting.  Although we are not bound by Robert's Rules of Order, I like to conform as much as practicable for this organization.
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 03:13:32 pm »
Okay, I wanted to make sure that I had this right, mainly because Tri-Met didn't recognize what the Portland Central Library was at first, let alone where it is.

Is the address of the PCL 801 SW 10th Avenue?

Also, since the Clark Manga & Anime Club is having its first guaranteed meeting of the school year on that day, I will be a little bit late; I'd say somewhere between 2 and 3.  I'm hoping we'll be able to sign up for staff at this meeting, because I plan on getting on board ASAP.

Yeah!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 03:27:43 pm »
Hint: Max stop: Library sw 9th
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 06:44:48 pm »
Okay, I wanted to make sure that I had this right, mainly because Tri-Met didn't recognize what the Portland Central Library was at first, let alone where it is.

Is the address of the PCL 801 SW 10th Avenue?

Also, since the Clark Manga & Anime Club is having its first guaranteed meeting of the school year on that day, I will be a little bit late; I'd say somewhere between 2 and 3.  I'm hoping we'll be able to sign up for staff at this meeting, because I plan on getting on board ASAP.

Yeah!

Official announcement coming soon!  I just want to make sure I have the details right before I post them.

And I have high hopes about being able to open staff registration.
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2010, 07:31:49 pm »
http://www.multcolib.org/agcy/cen.html

Thats the website for the Central Library, on it they have tri-met links and
phone numbers and addresses and all kinds of cool info!

Go forth and know!

-Allykat
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2010, 08:14:07 pm »
Elections, when they occur, are the first item of new business at a standard meeting.  Although we are not bound by Robert's Rules of Order, I like to conform as much as practicable for this organization.

I just expected them to have some higher prominence; their own section, bold text, anything at all to give them their proper importance in relation to a whole page of reports that preceded it.
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2010, 10:05:20 am »
Thanks for the minutes. Here are some suggestions & inquiries:
(1) "Food Band" should probably be "Food Bank".
Although, after watching that "Anime That Scarred Me For Life" ep (at the April General Meeting at Clark College) in which a bunch of vegetables committed sepuku into a curry, anything is possible....
(What show was that, again?)

(2) If the amount of the check to the charity was named, that would be worth listing.

(3) If there are any details that could be purveyed as the "frequently asked questions about retention and quality", that would be worth listing.

(4) By whom are "post-con evaluations" performed? For example, should each Manager or Coordinator provide them, or only Directors?

(5) I *think* our dear Cosplay Coordinator spells her name "Andie" rather than "Andy".

(6) Boldface for the titles of each Directorship would be ideal in both the section about the positions already elected and the section about the positions for which folks were nominated.

(7) The line re: Symphonic Anime Orchestra presently has awkward diction. A suggested fine-tuning: "It was suggested that Symphonic Anime Orchestra be invited to perform at the next Kumoricon."

Thank you! Love, Rem.

Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 05:42:54 am »
There is now a corrected version for review:
http://www.kumoricon.org/files/minutes/kumoricon-minutes-member-20100926-corrected.pdf

I declined to add additional formatting to election results. Formating would not change the meaning or interpretation of the text, only how quickly it's noticeable.  It should be easy to find because elections should always be the first item of New Business.

If there are any other corrections to content, please let me know.
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2010, 11:50:11 am »
Thanks. Mostly looks good. I'm only glancing at it at the moment, but did notice that in this sentence, "Volunteers will be needed next year for game days and other thing.", "thing" should be "things".
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 10:28:34 am »
Yay for you always  being so on top of things!

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2010, 12:23:09 am »
Question related to 'motions' for amendments and such; as the minutes frame it, the fact that I had a version of the prior motion on the table seemed completely out of nowhere; yet my suggested version had been in the discussion area since well before the official copies of the older motion were prepared.
  • Was there some procedural way for having the fruits of the 'between meeting' discussion included that I missed because I was unaware of it's need or even existence?
  • Is there some way of correcting this so that in the future variants to the old proposal that are created before a given deadline are already on the table as a result of the old business at the next meeting?
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2010, 11:41:20 pm »
Question related to 'motions' for amendments and such; as the minutes frame it, the fact that I had a version of the prior motion on the table seemed completely out of nowhere; yet my suggested version had been in the discussion area since well before the official copies of the older motion were prepared.
  • Was there some procedural way for having the fruits of the 'between meeting' discussion included that I missed because I was unaware of it's need or even existence?
  • Is there some way of correcting this so that in the future variants to the old proposal that are created before a given deadline are already on the table as a result of the old business at the next meeting?

Although we are not bound by Robert's Rules of Order, they are generally useful as a guideline for conducting business meetings of this organization.  For reference, a version can be viewed at http://rulesonline.com/.

Using this as a guideline, the minutes are not meant to be any sort of narrative.  They need report nothing of discussion and there is no necessity for transition statements (leading to an appearance of topics arising "out of nowhere").  Technically, the content of reports given is not even necessary, but I believe it to be a good practice for this particular organization because minutes are published.  As previously mentioned, we are not bound by Robert's.

Short answers to your other questions:
  • No.
  • No, and this would be inappropriate.  Nothing should ever be in Unfinished Business that was not in the New Business section of a prior meeting's minutes.
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2010, 01:08:32 am »
No, and this would be inappropriate.  Nothing should ever be in Unfinished Business that was not in the New Business section of a prior meeting's minutes.

While I agree with your general statement, I disagree with your classification of my example to the category the statement covers.  Revisions to a given motion that are still within the same spirit but which are of variant detail should be classified as derivatives of the same procedural process and thus I feel they should be presented with the original wording of the motion.  Otherwise there seems to be little benefit to discussing the prior motion between meetings and no formal way of revising the motion before it's initial introduction that I am aware of.
---
Staff 2007-2010

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2010, 02:28:05 am »
No, and this would be inappropriate.  Nothing should ever be in Unfinished Business that was not in the New Business section of a prior meeting's minutes.

While I agree with your general statement, I disagree with your classification of my example to the category the statement covers.  Revisions to a given motion that are still within the same spirit but which are of variant detail should be classified as derivatives of the same procedural process and thus I feel they should be presented with the original wording of the motion.  Otherwise there seems to be little benefit to discussing the prior motion between meetings and no formal way of revising the motion before it's initial introduction that I am aware of.

The benefit of the interim discussions is to allow people to be heard and allow more back-and-forth discussion.  Some organizations hold "open hearings" outside the regular business session to allow this.  As the discussions in-meeting get longer and more derailed, I am more likely to recommend shorter speaking limits.

When a motion is first presented, it comes under New Business.  All amendments proposed at that meeting are also recorded under New Business, even if they were discussed prior to the meeting.

If the motion is tabled, it returns at the next meeting under Unfinished Business.  Any further amendments presented at that meeting, regardless of whether they were discussed prior to the meeting, will also be recorded under Unfinished Business.

A motion can be revised prior to its introduction in discussion with the committee or small group intending to present it.  In the end, however, if you are not the party presenting the motion, you do not have a right or privilege to modify the motion except by proposing an amendment.
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary