Author Topic: What Do You Like About Kumoricon and Anime Conventions?  (Read 3344 times)

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
What Do You Like About Kumoricon and Anime Conventions?
« on: September 16, 2010, 09:00:09 pm »
Hey, fellow forumsters,

I am working on an article about Anime conventions and would like to get some opinions beside my own, so...

What do you like about Anime conventions? Is it the cosplay? Is it the community? What about Kumoricon keeps you coming back year after year?

I may use some of the answers in the article, in which case I'll PM you to get your real name for quoting. ^_^

Thanks, everyone!

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
Re: What Do You Like About Kumoricon and Anime Conventions?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2010, 09:11:48 pm »
For me its The People, The environment, and in the case of being staff, I love helping people and there is ALWAYS someone in need of help at the convention
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2010, 09:36:11 pm »
All of the random occurrences;Something a stranger has done or said to you or around you.

Just being with friends and seeing all the wonderful things people have created around you like their costumes or art. =3

And that fact that I always make new friends.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 09:55:13 pm »
I started going to k-con back in year one in eugene. My brothers and i all liked anime and it had started to become more accessible to those lacking internet. I had bought a anime magazine and learned of anime cons , when at school I searched them and saw the first k con.  I barter  a trip for my birthday. I have been going every year since.  Right after that 1st year my best friend died  k-con helped fill the gap.  I lost the 1 person who understood me but at least I could spend 3 days with a bunch of people who shared my likes and interestswhere we loner nerds could belong  Heck half the time we use THE forums as free counciling So for me k-con in a lot of ways con became like a family  to me. Though sadly k-con as a whole has been there more then my family at times (not counting little bro you rock!).  but think about it say you go to half the meetings and yearly events--its almost like how extended familys get together every so often.  I met my husband thru an after con meet up and 2 of my bridesmaids thur con. so I like the family?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:10:10 pm by superjaz »
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 11:08:51 pm »
The atmosphere is amazing. It's like one giant family reunion (the kind of family that actually likes each other) with activities galore to keep people entertained. Con's have their own heartbeat.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 12:11:16 pm »
I like being able to hang out with a bunch of friends dressed up and no one around me thinks its weird. I also like being around a lot of people who have the same interests as me. It helps me meet new people. I have meet all my close friends through Kumoricon some way or another.

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
    • My Random the Thoughts through the Days
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 12:30:04 pm »
It's the feeling of camaraderie between the group(s) that you going/spend time with at the Con. It's the fact that you have no social obligation, (School, Work, etc.) that crafts many friendships but you can find people and make friends solely based off common interest.
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

Junior Cadet of the TD BRO CHAD

My [Censored] belong to Nikki J

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2010, 07:59:46 pm »
I like the openness of the con- it's just so damn friendly!  And colorful!  After seeing all the bright anime costumes, any other convention just seems boring...

There's also a huge participation atmosphere to Kumoricon- people go there not to see a good show but more to put on a good show...

Offline Hanamaru

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2010, 10:14:20 am »
Hmm, I guess I really like the community?
It's definitely a breath of fresh air to go to a con and meet tons of other people who love the same things I do!
It's especially fun to make new friends, it's really great~

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2010, 11:19:44 am »
Meeting lots of cute nerdy girls ^\\\^
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 11:20:05 am by reppy »

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline BlackLaceAndPearl

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2010, 01:37:18 pm »
I love how open it is. At a con, you can walk up to a complete stranger, hug them, and ask to take their picture. Everyone is there because of a common interest, and it's easy to see one of their favorite animes just by looking.
Plus, it's a nerd convention, so I don't feel so alone.*cue fake melodramatic tears*  ;)
And, I found that at the Kumoriball, people could dance. That was a big deal for me, because I love waltzing.  ;D
I met so many wonderful people too. At the ball, I was hanging out with some Kuroshitsuji-ers, and the photoshoots were great. I was at the FMA shoot with my sister, and we called an unofficial Ouran photoshoot. I loved meeting so many people who love the same things that I love.
Thank you all for making my first anime convention so wonderful.  ;D
Kumoricon 2011

Elizabeth Middleford - Kuroshitsuji
Alois Trancy - Kuroshitsuji II

Offline Invader spleen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2010, 05:14:59 pm »
Each con is different for me. Most of the time I like the ambiance. Everyone is excited, entranced and exhausted. No matter where you look someone is happy to see or learn something about the Japanese culture, focused on something interesting they have found, and there is almost always someone snoozing off against a wall. One year it was just the energy level around the main events- the dances, tea party's and such. Another con (my first con) I was caught up in meeting all these new people, and oddly enough the glomp circle was the height of it all. This last con, everything came together really well. Everyone worked together to get excited and have fun, and there wasn't as much stress about anything. It was carefree, and a great end to the summer!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2010, 05:20:30 pm »
Meeting and connecting with people and organizations that relate to anime and Japanese culture.

Getting ideas for future cosplays.

Buying anime, manga, video games, and other random stuff at a reletively cheaper price.

Meeting people in the business.

Seeing lots of sexy women in sexy cosplay (until I realize that they're badges indicate that they're minors, then this reason sucks).

An excuse to get out of the house.

POCKY!!!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2010, 05:58:56 pm »
I enjoy the easy going vibe.

I wnjoy the anime.

I enjoy the cosplayers.

I enjoy meeting the differing people in the business.

Chatting with friends and participating in panels.

When i first came to Kumoricon back in 2006 at the Red Lion near Jantzen Beach I'll admit I felt out of place and a little freaked. But as I've been to more Kumoricons I've actually become more comfortable with meeting people and enjoying that  I'm not alone in my love of anime. I'd also like to thank you guys at Kumopricon for giving my school U.S. West Coast Taekwondo a new event to go to  and show our stuff off at. I know that Kumoricon is going through puberty right now. Growing up is never easy but I know you'll get through this.

AAnd that's all i have to say.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 05:12:44 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2010, 06:54:42 pm »
When i first came to Kumoricon back in 2006 at the Red Lion near Jatzen Beach

lol

That was my first KCon, too!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2010, 07:46:36 pm »
When i first came to Kumoricon back in 2006 at the Red Lion near Jatzen Beach

lol

That was my first KCon, too!

And mine!  ;D

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2010, 07:48:17 pm »
^ AWESOME!!!

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2010, 08:03:47 pm »
Indeed!

And I guess to answer my question, I will echo pretty much everyone else's sentiments. I love the community that Kumoricon has formed and has become. It feels like a family reunion, coming back every year. It is warm and welcoming, no matter what may be going on throughout the rest of the year.

Also, I love the cosplay. I couldn't imagine a convention, let alone Kumoricon, without cosplay. It gives me something to look forward to, something to plan and create and collaborate with friends on, and then I am always amazed, inspired, and (sometimes) terrified and permanently scarred by other people's costumes. And I like that. It is fun and, I love how Kimiski put it - "Cons have their own heartbeat." QFT.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2010, 08:10:58 pm »
Indeed!

And I guess to answer my question, I will echo pretty much everyone else's sentiments. I love the community that Kumoricon has formed and has become. It feels like a family reunion, coming back every year. It is warm and welcoming, no matter what may be going on throughout the rest of the year.

Also, I love the cosplay. I couldn't imagine a convention, let alone Kumoricon, without cosplay. It gives me something to look forward to, something to plan and create and collaborate with friends on, and then I am always amazed, inspired, and (sometimes) terrified and permanently scarred by other people's costumes. And I like that. It is fun and, I love how Kimiski put it - "Cons have their own heartbeat." QFT.

Absolutely, and, as staff, I feel that this family-like bond has been extremely tigher this year!

Offline Midnight Divine

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook!
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2010, 12:14:20 pm »
For me, it's meeting new people and cosplaying. When you go to a event like this, mostly everyone is cosplaying, and you feel welcomed because everyone is doing the same thing your doing and is into anime :)
"You can make all the excuses you want. But you're the one who decided how to live your life". -Mugen