Author Topic: ~~ 2010 VIDEO GAMING TOURNAMENT/ROOM RULES AND REGULATIONS ~~  (Read 6604 times)

Offline Griffion

• Cabbit
~~ 2010 VIDEO GAMING TOURNAMENT/ROOM RULES AND REGULATIONS ~~
« on: August 23, 2010, 10:14:40 pm »
OFFICIAL TOURNAMENT SCHEDULE AND VIDEO GAMING RULES FOR KUMORICON 2010

This year we've made several changes to how we are running things so please read this post completely (twice if need be) before asking any questions.

-----------------------------------
| SATURDAY      SEPTEMBER 4, 2010|
|           7:00 AM - 2:00 AM       |

ROCK BAND   12:00PM - 12:00AM

SetsunaEarth has graciously offered to return and lead our Rock Band division this year. You can find a comprehensive explanation of her tournament's scoring system and rules in the thread located at http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=13574.0

NOTE: Unlike our other tournaments this is going to be audition based. Those that qualify will be invited to perform before a live audience on Sunday in Live Events.

SUPER STREET FIGHTER IV    2:00 PM - 5:00 PM

Format:      2/3 Rounds, 2/3 Games, Double Elimination, 3/5 Finals, 99 Seconds, No Handicap

Console:   PlayStation 3

Rules:      If the players do not agree on a stage within 15 seconds, the match will be random stage select.
              Winner must keep the same character, but can select a new ultra in game 2 or 3, but has to pick the ultra before the opponent picks theirs. This does not apply to blind pick.

BLAZBLUE: CONTINUUM SHIFT   6:00 PM - 9:00 PM

Format:      2/3 Rounds, 2/3 Games, Double Elimination, 3/5 Finals, 99 Seconds, No Handicap

Console:   PlayStation 3

Rules:      Latest version will be used (Current version: 1.01)
              DLC characters (ie. Makoto) are allowed
              Unlimited Characters are banned
              Beginner mode not allowed
              Astral Heats allowed

------------------------------------
| SUNDAY         SEPTEMBER 5, 2010 |
|          8:00 AM - 2:00 AM             |
------------------------------------

SUPER SMASH BROTHERS BRAWL!    10:00 AM - 10:00 PM

Format:      QUALIFYING HEATS: 3 Stock, 8 Minute Timer, Items Set to OFF and NONE, 2/3 Games, Single Elimination, 3/5 Finals
              PRO BRACKET: 3 Stock, 8 Minute Timer, Items Set to OFF and NONE, 2/3 Games, Double Elimination, 3/5 Finals

Console:   Nintendo Wii (GCN Controllers ONLY)

Rules:      

BOTH BRACKETS:  No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
                         -If the timer runs out, the victor is determined first by stock and then by percentage.
                          -Metaknight's Infinite Cape glitch is banned
                          -If a game ends with Bowser doing his suicide klaw and it ends in sudden death, the sudden death will be ignored and that game will count as a win for Bowser.
                         -You are responsible for your own controller and name tag. Any malfunctions or errors that occur are your responsibility,
                          so bring an extra controller if possible and always check to make sure you're   using the correct settings BEFORE a match is played. If a match is to be restarted due to controller functions,
                          it must  be agreed upon by both parties.
                         -Any action that can prevent the game from continuing (i.e., freezing, disappearing characters, game reset, etc.) will result in a forfeit of that match for the player that initiated the action.
                          -You are responsible for knowing your own character, and must be wary about accidentally triggering one of these effects.
                          -Stalling is banned.
                          -If both players cannot agree on a stage in the first round RANDOM must be selected. Thereafter the loser may choose any accepted stage.
                          -ONLY Battlefield, Final Destination, Smashville, and Yoshi's Island stages are available.

Stalling: The act of deliberately avoiding any and all conflict so that one may make the game unplayable. Running away from an opponent to reach a better position is not stalling, while doing an infinite grab endlessly against a wall is. Any infinite chain grabs must end quickly after 300% has been reached so as to prevent excessive stalling.

PRO BRACKET:   No player may choose a stage they have already won on in that set unless agreed upon by both players.
      During stage selection Each player will take turns banning a stage from the Starter list until only one stage remains. They will also choose one stage from the Counterpick list to ban for the entire set
      After the first round the loser may choose to repeat the stage from the Starter list or choose a stage from the Counterpick list that was not one of the two banned at the start.

STAGE LISTS

STARTER:
            Battlefield
            Final Destination
            Smashville
            Yoshi's Island
            Lylat Cruise

COUNTER:
            Pokemon Stadium 1
            Halberd
            Castle Siege
            Brinstar
            Delfino
            Frigate Orpheon
            Jungle Japes
            Pictochat
            Pirate Ship
            Pokémon Stadium 2
            Rainbow Cruise

~~ HEAT SYSTEM ~~

This year's SSBB tournament will be completed in heats that will be filled in a First-Come First-Served Basis to prevent the inordinately long waits times we experienced last year. What this means is once 16 people have signed up for a heat the bracket is set to go and will be played to its end before the next is started.
Signups will be availible from the start of con so we expect that at least two full heats will be filled by the 10 AM start time on Sunday. Each heat should take 2 hours to complete as they will be conducted using a fast paced single elmination style meant to whittle contenders down to a pro bracket of 12 to 20 players.
These finalists will then be invited to compete in the double elimination tournament, which should begin between 6 and 8 PM. Once 6 to 10 heats have been completed (Highly dependant on how the day is proceeding) the pro bracket will be drawn up, including the top 2 players from each heat.
How each player fares in the single elimination rounds will determine their seeding in the pro bracket. The rules in the pro round are nearly identical to the qualifiers except that this tournament is double elimnation and full counter pick rules will be implemented.

ROCK BAND FINALS   1:30PM - 3:00PM in LIVE EVENTS 2

(PLEASE SEE SATURDAY'S ENTRY FOR MORE DETAILS)

| OTHER TOURNAMENTS SCHEDULED|
|DATES AND TIMES BELOW            |

HALO 3 is Saturday from 4:00 PM to 8:00 PM
SUPER SMASH BROTHERS MELEE is Monday from 10 AM to 2 PM

| GENERAL RULES AND REGULATIONS|
ABOVE ALL RESPECT AND FOLLOW ALL CONVENTION RULES

In addition...

- Please respect others and promote personal cleanliness.
- Controllers will be available for loan at the Gaming Desk. You'll need to trade your badge to check one out.
- Systems this year are preloaded with games. Talk to a staff member if you would like a game changed.
- Attendees may play unrestricted for 30 minutes at a time. After this period allow others a chance to play.
- Please be kind to the equipment and to others. While a game may cause frustration, causing a scene will only make things worse
- We do not have a bag check this year. As such all bags must be kept sealed inside the Game Room.
- Oversized weapons and other potentially awkward props should if possible be left outside of the Gaming Area. If an item is deemed a hazard to others due to crowding its owner will be asked to leave.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2010, 06:43:49 pm by Griffion »
2013 - 2014 - President/Chair
2011 - 2012 - Director of Operations
2010 - Console Gaming Manager
2009 - Assistant Gaming Manager
2008 - Volunteer

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
Re: ~~ 2010 VIDEO GAMING TOURNAMENT/ROOM RULES AND REGULATIONS ~~
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 12:37:32 am »
Just a few pieces of advice for BB and Super4

Pad/Wireless Stick Players

I would highly suggest that if anyone decides to play on pad, they should use a pad from K-con staff instead of their own, and after they play, they either hand it to the Tournament Organizer, or anything like that.  This is to prevent people from Raging and if they lost to someone, then they can't just hit home on a synced controller to DQ them.

If a player is found doing the whole "Imma push the menu button to mess this game up" Then DQ them out of the tournament and tell them they need to leave the room for the duration of the tournament.  Just an opinion.

Note: This wouldn't apply to Controllers or Fightpads that need a dongle to be plugged in to play because if the dongle is unplugged, then the controller will not respond.

Double Jeopardy

Deal with it. Don't make one person suffer, just because someone lost to the person they're playing already.

Pausing/Menu button during game play

You forfeit the ROUND that is played.  If the person who paused has the life lead, then the player who is behind hits the opposing player with attacks UNTIL the non-pausing player has the life lead.  Try to keep the meter bars as close as possible, and if that means they need to use an ex attack to help fix it, then so be it.

IF you pause during an ultra and are about to die, or if the person executing the ultra pauses and the player is dead, then no DQ.  Why?  Because it won't change the outcome.

IF you forgot to check your buttons and you pause midmatch, the round is still forfeited.  ALWAYS CHECK YOUR BUTTONS!

Double KO Rule
IF the set is tied final game, and at final round and a double KO occurs, then the game is replayed, not the entire set.  

DQing people

It needs to be stated that if you are going to go somewhere i.e. bathroom, personal break, etc., then the TO needs to be notified.  If they don't and they are up and they are nowhere to be found, and it is vital they play in the tournament, then they get DQed.  Nothing hurts a tournament more than it being held up because someone decided to sneak out for a bit and not let anyone know.

Just opinions after all.

Good luck to everyone at K-con and hope you all have fun.  I'll be curious to see a posting of the placings and brackets.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 12:38:08 am by Slash5150 »
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline Griffion

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2010, 01:01:26 pm »
Thanks for the suggestions Mike, I'll pass them by our coordinators and we'll get them implemented :)

Anyways it has come to my attention that the way in which we are conducting SSBB! this year may have been confusing. So I will therefore elaborate a bit.

If you sign up for the tournament before the start time on Saturday it is highly likely that you will be playing your qualifiers either at the 10 AM bracket or around noon at the second bracket. The sign-up sheets will be given a start time once they are full. As a contender you should expect to play for around two hours in one of the qualifying brackets in which you will have the possibility of playing up to 5 games depending on how far you progress. If you end up being in the final 4 of your bracket you will then be invited to join the pro-bracket along with the 11 to 19 other finalists from the Qualifiers. This pro-tourney is scheduled for 8 PM or at least 30 minutes after the final qualifying tourney ends so that we have time gather together the best players who played throughout the day.

Since we are running staggered brackets it may seem appealing to show up later in the day to sign up. However, I would highly suggest that you sign up early as we have imposed a 160 contender cap on the entire event. There will be NO exceptions for late arrivals this year. If we end up not having a full bracket by the time a tourney is scheduled to begin, we'll cap at a lower threshold. So do not assume that you can just show up 5 minutes before 6 PM and sign up for the last heat as it will likely have already been closed.

Beyond these clarifications, remember that only Gamecube controllers are allowed at our tournament this year because of cross-connection issues. You may bring your own, but it will have to be cleared and marked by our front desk before you can use it to set it apart from our organization's controllers.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 01:01:43 pm by Griffion »
2008 - Volunteer

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2010, 02:20:51 pm »
Just wanted to add this in, I had a really long post going, but it was kind of pointless haha.

Brawl might work better (speed/time wise) if you ran it in 16 man brackets instead of 32.  Would get people in and out a lot quicker, especially to see more of the con.
Hey ya'll I'll be starting school so time on these forums will me limited.  I will still respond to PM's so if you need to get a hold of me, PM me or send me a message on MySpace.

GGPO

Offline momotenshi

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2010, 03:42:35 pm »
so ssf4 and blazblue strictly ps3? no chance of 360?

Offline Griffion

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 08:39:32 pm »
Sorry Momotenshi but we decided that given our resources we can only offer BB and SFIV tournaments for the PS3 this year. If you are worried about having to borrow a fight stick I know for certain at least one will be available for loan during the tournaments.

As for the question of 16 man versus 32 man brackets, the coordinators and I are currently discussing the merits of each and will make a decision by the end of the weekend. Thank again Mike for offering a tempting solution ;)
2008 - Volunteer

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 10:18:34 pm »
Sorry Momotenshi but we decided that given our resources we can only offer BB and SFIV tournaments for the PS3 this year. If you are worried about having to borrow a fight stick I know for certain at least one will be available for loan during the tournaments.

As for the question of 16 man versus 32 man brackets, the coordinators and I are currently discussing the merits of each and will make a decision by the end of the weekend. Thank again Mike for offering a tempting solution ;)

Basically this is what I think could happen.

16 vs 32 tournament

Length/Time
16--Shorter tournament.  If you were to take the top 2 (one out of losers, one out of winners) then they are free and clear to do whatever they want till the bigger grand tournament.  PLUS, if someone gets eliminated and wants another shot, they don't have to wait for a long 32 person tournament to finish.
32-- Longer tournament. More people play but its just longer. 

Players
16 player -- If you cap it at 160 players, then basically thats 10 pools of 16 players each.  taking 1 person out of each pool gives a final bracket of 16, 2 gives a final bracket of 32
32 players -- You'd have 5 brackets of 32 players each (with 160 cap) so with that, top 2 our of each for 16, top 4 for 32.

Finals -- I think that if you do finals, I honestly think all records should be set to 0-0 for finals, meaning if you lost in the pre-pools, you come into the finals with a 0 loses.

Also with a 16 person tournament, if you want to take a break and pass it off to someone else, you don't have to wait a real long time.  On average a 16 person tournament should get over, I'd say within 1.5 to 2 hours depending on skill levels and the amounts of setups.

GGPO

Offline Griffion

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2010, 06:31:00 pm »
We've decided to go with a 16 man pool system along the lines of what Slash5150 was saying. The plan was initially to have 5 heats of 32 so converting to 10 heats of 16 is perfect. Since we are staying with Single Elimination it should only take an hour with 4 systems running. As a result our schedule should roughly stay the same length.

Thanks again for all the constructive questions and input :)
2008 - Volunteer

Offline DMStudios

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2010, 11:47:10 am »
In Brawl, are standing infinites allowed? (AKA Dedede downthrow infinite on Mario, Donkey Kong, Samus, etc.)
There's no "I" in D-Man. . . .But there's an honorary YATTA!

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 01:19:59 pm »
In Brawl, are standing infinites allowed? (AKA Dedede downthrow infinite on Mario, Donkey Kong, Samus, etc.)

I'm not in the mood to copy and paste on droid...mainly cause idk how to lol

Anyways, under "Stalling" in the rules, it states that infinite grabs are a form of stalling and MUST end after 300%

I do believe though, that with this, if you are caught stalling and it is deemed so by the judges, you forefit one stock and both players must resume play on opposite sides of the stage.  If that makes sense.

GGPO

Offline DMStudios

• Cabbit
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 03:20:44 pm »
In quite a few tournaments, Standing infinites ARE banned, but small step chaingrabs are not. It kinda makes certain characters un-viable if the Dedede is good.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2010, 03:53:44 pm »
In quite a few tournaments, Standing infinites ARE banned, but small step chaingrabs are not. It kinda makes certain characters un-viable if the Dedede is good.

authors note: I am not running tournaments, this is purely my opinion.

The way I think about it is like Marvel and deadbody infinites, you can use it as long as its for position enhancement. 

I think it may be best to talk to people there, in the meantime, I'm going to ask one of my friends who does Brawl in AZ his feelings towards it

GGPO

Offline DMStudios

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2010, 04:01:38 pm »
Well, I attend tournaments fairly regularly, and the standing infinite rule has always been a touchy subject lol. People just say. "Don't get grabbed", but it still happens. Who is running the tournament this year? Cuz I know GC Guy is gonna be up at PAX.

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2010, 04:25:17 pm »
Well, I attend tournaments fairly regularly, and the standing infinite rule has always been a touchy subject lol. People just say. "Don't get grabbed", but it still happens. Who is running the tournament this year? Cuz I know GC Guy is gonna be up at PAX.

I would just say 300% MAX and that's it.  Heck, you should be able to ring out at 200%.  But, unless you are blind picking, you can render D3 useless by taking out all the walled stages.

GGPO

Offline DMStudios

• Cabbit
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2010, 04:50:21 pm »
But, unless you are blind picking, you can render D3 useless by taking out all the walled stages.

Actually, D3 can standing infinite quite a few characters without walls. Then, proceed to chaingrab to the edge of the stage and kill with a forward throw. It's quite absurd.

Offline Griffion

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 12:54:33 am »
The tournament this year is being run by mostly the same crew that ran it last year. That being said there have been several serious developments in the meta-game since K-Con '09 and that is why our ruleset has changed accordingly. Slash5150 was correct in stating that one can chain-grab up to 300% before stalling charges can be levied. However, this stipulation may be reconsidered before the tournament begins pending an in-person discussion between myself, Hellsap, and Fevenis. Regardless, the rules put in place before the first match begins will be locked in for the entire duration of the tournament. It will be made clear in a public announcement if we decide to make any last minute changes before the qualifying heats begin.
2008 - Volunteer

Offline DMStudios

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2010, 01:18:00 am »
Alright. I'm there every year, and I enjoy really good rulesets. I know Hellsap is pretty thorough on good tournament rulesets.

Just don't want potential players fairly new to the competitive scene to get infinited and not want to play anymore lol

Offline Slash5150

• Chibi
    • slash5150.smugmug.com
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2010, 01:10:01 am »
Results?

GGPO

Offline legoman60

• Sailor Scout
    • M.E.W.con
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2010, 03:25:50 pm »
Halo 3 winner - Nathan D

SSB:Melee winner - known only as Tudios
2008-2010 MEWcon Staff

2008 Kumoricon Attendee
2009-2010 Kumoricon Staff
2012 Kumoricon Attendee

2010 Sakuracon Staff

Offline DMStudios

• Cabbit
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2010, 12:27:44 pm »
Brawl winner - Skullrama
2nd place - Tudios

Melee - Tudios (previously known as D-Man)

Offline Lord Daberkis

• Oni
« Reply #20 on: September 15, 2010, 02:18:50 pm »
Thanks for putting on the gaming tournaments! Will the complete list of players/results be posted at some point?

Offline legoman60

• Sailor Scout
    • M.E.W.con
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 09:44:44 pm »
Not unless TJ gets around to it, he is the only one with a complete list at this point.
2008-2010 MEWcon Staff

2008 Kumoricon Attendee
2009-2010 Kumoricon Staff
2012 Kumoricon Attendee

2010 Sakuracon Staff

Offline Griffion

• Cabbit
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2010, 07:43:53 pm »
Once I get the list from my Console Coordinator I will be sure to post it for all to review. Thank you all for your patience ;)
2008 - Volunteer