Author Topic: Artist chitchat  (Read 11599 times)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Artist chitchat
« on: September 14, 2010, 02:39:53 pm »
I thought it'd be a good idea to have a little topic for the artists of Kumori-con to talk about they're art, troubles they've faced, accomplishments, artist blocks, and maybe even schooling.

First things first:

I tend to like to draw myself and my friends more than anything. When something fun happens or my friends and I come up with a silly idea about us, I always get the urge to draw it. It's not like I'm conceited about us or anything, I think I just like the fact that I get to draw us all cartoony like, with a bit of personification.

I do like to draw fanart and my own OC's, but I like my bro's a lot better. I never really post any of it though, because I don't think many would care to see it.

Anyone else?
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Artist chitchat
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:54:11 pm »
I have had shows at galleries, in college and in town, and exhibits at conventions. But my art isn't anime style. Mostly installation pieces, performance art, photos by and of me, often paired with poems (often by me), and collage, and sometimes crafts such as when I have made my own ritual candles and soaps.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

oslapedo

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 09:21:58 pm »
I like to draw things as ugly as I possibly can because ugliness is beautiful, like Quasimodo yo.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2010, 03:09:11 am »
I naturally draw in anime and style, but lately I have been crossing anime style with my realism in order to make my own style that stands out, but doing cartoons is what I love, and what I want to do as a career.

I can do realistic art like they teach in drawing classes, with still lifes and models and all that, but I really only do those to prove I can do something besides cartoons. And most of my art comes from the billion of stories and characters I have floating around in my head.... I need to actually make a full length comic....  :'(

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2010, 04:01:47 am »
@ Kimiski, if you are looking for pointers on starting out, we in Creation Station offer workshops on Making Manga and Webcomics 101. There is also a trio who made a graphic novel that impressed me, whom I am trying to recruit for next year. Stay tuned to your Creation Station for details :)
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2010, 02:26:59 pm »
I guess my art has a slight anime-esque look to it. But honestly its way more original. The only similarity is some what large eyes(but their more realistic) and simple features. I'm not that good at realism no matter how hard I try.

I like to draw things as ugly as I possibly can because ugliness is beautiful, like Quasimodo yo.
I love you man. XD
da/tumblr

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2010, 09:40:36 pm »
I only draw when i am in a drawing mood. I havent had a drawing mood in several weeks though T^T
« Last Edit: September 26, 2010, 09:44:11 pm by Pots »

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2010, 10:50:58 pm »
^ Oh same with me.

It feels good when drawing though, you get that one feeling, you know?

I like drawing with my friends at school because we end up making something crazy, funny , and big, and sometimes disgusting...

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2010, 11:20:05 pm »
I am more into sculpting at the moment.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2010, 07:04:22 pm »
I like jewelry, some of my stuff I made in my classes.

I don't like making regular stuff, because while I may not be the best or have tons of hours making even the simple stuff, I find the challenge not there when the items are not complex. 
« Last Edit: September 27, 2010, 07:06:50 pm by camname21 »

Offline Kero-sempai

• Chibi
    • Kero-sempai on deviantART
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2010, 08:26:21 pm »
That box in your signature is so cute, Camname. <3

I draw manga style mostly, and I'm currently working my way through a lot of different cartooning styles to figure out which one fits me best. (STYLE TRANSITIONING, WHOO~ Dx)

I'm currently involving in a super-obscure doujinshi circle, who will, in all likelyhood, be publishing their debut fan anthology around this same time next year.

I have more running comics than I can keep track of, and a partywagonful of OCs that do whatever they like, usually without my consent. >A>; damn kids

As for me, I'd actually really like for my original characters to stop whoring my brain plz. I need it for school this month. orzlll
« Last Edit: September 28, 2010, 08:26:44 pm by Kero-sempai »

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2010, 09:59:52 pm »
Thanks Kero :)

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2010, 08:41:30 pm »
@Kero-sempai
I wish I could actually start a comic. That's one of my problems is that I can come up with a great comic idea or I have characters that I draw constantly and that have a story but I can't seem to pull anything together. I just don't have that ability.
da/tumblr

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2010, 12:12:14 pm »
Well, I for one am NOT that great of a drawer.  However, I can do okay enough to where I did comics for my college newspaper for a year.  I'm wanting to make a webcomic based off of my experience with McDonald's & Taco Bell.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2010, 06:58:20 pm »
Well, I for one am NOT that great of a drawer.  However, I can do okay enough to where I did comics for my college newspaper for a year.  I'm wanting to make a webcomic based off of my experience with McDonald's & Taco Bell.
Probably a lot of hilarious stories from that eh?
da/tumblr

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2010, 09:37:40 pm »
Probably a lot of hilarious stories from that eh?

Oh, yeah... some of them could possibly scare people away from getting a job at Taco Bell.  When I was originally planning this, I worked on a guideline idea for it.  I made 80-90 comics in a notepad.  However, the backpack I had it in got stolen one day (as did a Ranma 1/2 Music VHS tape :'( ).  I have some friends at school that loved it, as well as both Taco Bells I worked at and some teens that I know at Washougal High School.

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 09:48:31 pm »
Im bad at coming up with stories for comics. I rather draw for the writer.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2010, 09:50:06 pm »
It helps to "draw" from experience (I love puns...), at least for me it does.

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 04:32:54 pm »
I mostly draw OCs and occasionally fanart. I cant seem to draw just "random people" XD
Im almost done drawing chapter 0 (0 because it doesn't feel like a chapter 1 to me) of a story I'm working on. 27 out of 30 pages YEAAAAHHH 8D''
'16 Cosplay
Suzuya (Tokyo Ghoul) // Magic!Betty (Adventure Time)

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 04:47:47 pm »
I love to draw. Recently I've been into drawing dreams, and I finally have some stories, so I'm working on my OC's~
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Pots

• Chibi
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 05:41:12 pm »
I have no Ocs D:. I have to make some up or draw other people's.

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 06:37:50 pm »
I've been drawing lots of fan art lately, though my school [portland AI] came up with a proposition, I can do my regular course work, or create a 10 page manga. I kinda took there offer way out of proportion and wrote a story that's 50 pages. I plan on posting it all on DeviantArt [I have 3 pages done 1,3 are on DA now, 2 got deleted from my computer when he crashed]. As well as turning it in of course. I've also been shying away from creating OC's. They become a pain.

Ffff I want to submit my manga to Dark Horse, but I'm too chicken ._.;
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2010, 07:57:54 pm »
I have about 30 characters (probably a little less now that I got rid of some) and I already have most of complex story thought out I just have to patch up some holes, think up a satisfying ending and draw it, then I'll submit it somewhere.

I like to draw in a more "cartoony" style. Im not too good with colored pencils, and never tried copics so I like to use photoshop. I usally draw with mechanical pencil and then ink and color it on photoshop. Photoshop and I are tight. ; D
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 07:58:57 pm by kit2kit »
'16 Cosplay

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2010, 08:04:17 pm »
that sounds so sad! "got rid ofsome" ;~; I still get confused in your stories! I need to do some studying on them

Where would you submit comics?
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:04:41 pm by nyahaha »

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2010, 08:08:36 pm »
We could have a sleepover and you could sit and listen to me talk for 3 hours about it XD
I got rid of some, not many because I realized they didnt do anything. as in they might of done something like a looong time but not anymore and all they do is sit there and I forget about them D:
Sadly Nothing is one of them. But since I love her to much Im going to use her in something else ;-;

I dunno yet. I guess I should say "try and get it published somewhere" instead XD
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:09:22 pm by kit2kit »
'16 Cosplay

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2010, 08:10:37 pm »
Nothing! ;~; Nothing was a good pal. You better use her in another thing! And maybe I should come over!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 08:11:04 pm by nyahaha »

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2010, 08:14:53 pm »
Yes, yes. : D
Thats how I told Rachel, Elizabeth and Blair about it. Rachel being the first.
Rachel: You've been talking for 3 hours.
me: no wonder Im thirsty D:

Yeah if you want to know about it, you will have to ask me because that way I know you want to listen to me blabber and I dont feel bad for having to make you listen XD

I LOVE NOTHING~<3
And Nobody still loves you ; D
'16 Cosplay

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2010, 03:53:11 pm »
Oh, yeah... some of them could possibly scare people away from getting a job at Taco Bell.  When I was originally planning this, I worked on a guideline idea for it.  I made 80-90 comics in a notepad.  However, the backpack I had it in got stolen one day (as did a Ranma 1/2 Music VHS tape :'( ).  I have some friends at school that loved it, as well as both Taco Bells I worked at and some teens that I know at Washougal High School.
That's terrible! I hate when stuff like that happens. restarting a genius idea after losing it is like...UGH. It's so terrible I don't want to describe.

I mostly draw OCs and occasionally fanart. I cant seem to draw just "random people" XD
Im almost done drawing chapter 0 (0 because it doesn't feel like a chapter 1 to me) of a story I'm working on. 27 out of 30 pages YEAAAAHHH 8D''
I use to only draw random people when I was younger. Now I have a set of OC's I could never live without. But I still keep coming up with more. >_>
I have no Ocs D:. I have to make some up or draw other people's.
Having OC's is fun but you're a really great artist from what I've seen and you make some wonderful Fanart. :3 So not having OC's isn't all bad. Fo drawing for others works quite well too.
da/tumblr

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2010, 05:56:17 pm »
That's terrible! I hate when stuff like that happens. restarting a genius idea after losing it is like...UGH. It's so terrible I don't want to describe.

Thanks, but I'm fine with it; they were only a first draft.  I hope that the thief read them and laughed so hard that s/he felt bad and committed seppuku.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2010, 02:51:40 am »
If any of you like to draw Original Characters for others or yourself, or just want something to draw that is different from what you are used to (it isn't manga-esk), I've got a fantasy character in my head that I would love to have drawn for me.  Anyone who feels up for it let me know and I'll give you a few reference pictures and notes on what it looks like.  Thanks.

Offline kit2kit

• Catgirl
    • Tumblr
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2010, 09:18:09 am »
What do you mean by not "manga-esk"?
Do you mean you dont want it drawn in a manga or cartoonnish style?
'16 Cosplay

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #31 on: December 04, 2010, 09:12:11 pm »
Ya, basically.  I figured most of the drawers here do only or mostly manga type drawings.  Though, if someone is interested in drawing a different style that is what I'm looking for.