Author Topic: the official 2011 cosplay progress thread  (Read 344467 times)

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
Re: the official 2011 cosplay progress thread
« Reply #50 on: September 16, 2010, 11:14:23 pm »
I get paid tomorrow, So I'm hoping to get out and find some stuff for my Butterfree cosplay for Akicon. =]

A nice pair of goggles and a good base for my wings would be ideal.
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2010, 11:33:40 pm »
EDIT: ^^^ You're doin' Butterfree? Adorable! =D

Right now my greatest problem is that I don't have money. But I need to...

Mew [$30.00]
   Buy top I've been in love with for months
   Make tail
   Fix ear, it fell on the ground. ;_;
   Double check white pants double as shorts
Otacon [$-nothing but time-$]
   Shorten jacket’s hemline and sleeves
   Fix shoes
   Make MGRex
Neil [$70.00]
   Buy wig off epiccosplay, ash blonde flipped wig, $30.00
   Buy dj style headphones
   Buy long sleeve black polo off ebay or JCP or somewhere
   Buy tattoo necklace and bracelet off ebay, $5.00
   Remove charms from DS

And I've got a little over a month and a half to do those things. Plus get hotel and badge money for Aki. It'd be a breeze if I had a job, ha.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:34:39 pm by Mei Long »
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2010, 11:51:20 pm »
So many Pokemon I get to nosebleed over *A*
Coming in for an opinion on a Pokemon cosplay actually.
I'm going to be making Makomo for Akicon this year since I was invited into a Black and White group.
Now, I've come to the decision I'm just going to make the labcoat because it's too ridiculous to buy for. My options for patterns so far are this and this (With heavy modifications of course). Which do you think would be best to use?
Also I was not sure if I should use buttons or a zipper for the front of the jacket....
Finally I was trying to decide on a wig! I was thinking about dying a white wig I have for the job so it would come out with a purple/black. But I've had some people tell me to go with a black wig D: What to do? hahaha.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 11:51:55 pm by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2010, 11:57:32 pm »
I'm going to be making Makomo for Akicon this year since I was invited into a Black and White group.
Now, I've come to the decision I'm just going to make the labcoat because it's too ridiculous to buy for. My options for patterns so far are this and this (With heavy modifications of course). Which do you think would be best to use?
Also I was not sure if I should use buttons or a zipper for the front of the jacket....
Finally I was trying to decide on a wig! I was thinking about dying a white wig I have for the job so it would come out with a purple/black. But I've had some people tell me to go with a black wig D: What to do? hahaha.
First of all, I think a pattern more like this would be better: http://sewing.patternreview.com/patterns/16207
Just make it out of white cotton and do a few alterations. As for buttons or zipper... I think a zipper would look more like the picture but buttons would be more realistic for a lab coat. And dying a wig... I'm not such a big fan. Waaaayyyy too much room for error, so you might end up having to buy another wig anyway. :P
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2010, 11:59:31 pm »
Oh thank you for that! That pattern is much better!!!
And I love dying wigs actually. I've done two so far and it's kinda become a breeze for me. So it's not really the work that's the problem for me. More of a Purple/black or just black since it's impossible to get a pure black with dye (Since all ink black has some purple in it).

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2010, 12:15:33 am »
Her hair is definitely not pure black in that picture. If you have experience dying wigs and already have one you can use, I don't see why you shouldn't try.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2010, 01:15:57 am »
@Felix- Thanks for the opinion. I'm probably going to go with that, I've had a few more people outside of her say "Dye it" so I guess that's what I'll be doing.

Also ordered that pattern Bunny Jean linked (Seriously, that pattern is gorgeous, thank you~) and I worked on my hairclip a bit still has a lot to go through but this is the basic paint, still gotta sand, touch up, then sand again. And then it will be time for paint :>

~2012 cosplay mofos~

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2010, 02:00:34 am »
Boogie:
When do you need the wig by?
If your dye job doesn't work, you can borrow my long black one if you want.
I know you are a good person and can be trusted so I have no issues loaning it to you if you need to use it.

It's not as long as Makomo's actual hair and, as you can kind of see in the picture, it goes to a little below my butt.
But it's better than nothing, right? So yeah, if your dye job doesn't go so well or if you just want to use this instead, I has no issues with that. :P

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2010, 02:11:25 am »
@Gryffinclaw Princess- Akicon by the latest. Thank you for the offer :> I will defiantly keep it in mind.

~2012 cosplay mofos~

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2010, 02:25:36 am »
That wouldn't be an issue since I'll be attending Akicon. XP

I'll bring it with me either way in case you change your mind last second or something. ^^

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #60 on: September 17, 2010, 06:06:39 am »
Soooo~
Zuko... wig... help?
I think for the most part I got this.
Reference
My plan is:
Get a bald cap, make sure it is the right skin tone or I can blend it to match my skin tone.
Get a square piece of brown fabric to weft on.
Weft the fabric, attach through a foam tube, wrap the tube with red fabric, attach the tuft at the top.
The only thing I'm really worried about is that it is going to be too heavy, in which case... I don't know what to do >.e
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #61 on: September 17, 2010, 07:09:44 am »

http://www.amazon.com/Medline-Ladies-Staff-Length-Coat/dp/B000VSZ524/ref=sr_1_1?s=industrial&ie=UTF8&qid=1284732445&sr=1-1

???

I mean, if you want to build it yourself, more power to, but labcoats are CHEAP depending on where you look.

Soooo~
Zuko... wig... help?
Reference
My plan is:
Get a bald cap, make sure it is the right skin tone or I can blend it to match my skin tone.
Weft the fabric, attach through a foam tube, wrap the tube with red fabric, attach the tuft at the top.
The only thing I'm really worried about is that it is going to be too heavy, in which case... I don't know what to do >.e

Depending on if you wanted the baldcap afterward or not, you could also anchor the tube with like a large plastic washer, and cut a hold in the cap, and have the tube come through - rather than glue it on externally.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 07:14:23 am by Venusgate »
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #62 on: September 17, 2010, 07:49:35 am »
n.n i've kinda started on a winter costume (may go to sakura if i can go...) but thats about it thus far. i still plan on either fixing up terra or remaking her for 2011 and ravens going again so not much new there. =/ but omg nikki i will hug you in taokaka <3 D: taokakas are always so warm....
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #63 on: September 17, 2010, 08:18:56 am »
Soooo~
Zuko... wig... help?
Reference
My plan is:

What I would suggest is a theatre trick.
Get come black crepe hair (normally comes in a braid but can be unbraided and straightened out) and tie/glue some red ribbon around one end.
Attach this pony tail to the bald cap the same way you would to a wig.

Another thing you can do is sew the hair into the bald cap. As in, the actual hair looping through! This would take time and patience but would best secure the hair to the wig. You could even do this in the same way you would those hook rugs things. (I have no idea what they are called but you loop the strands around themselves to secure them in place.]

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #64 on: September 17, 2010, 11:01:31 am »
n.n i've kinda started on a winter costume (may go to sakura if i can go...) but thats about it thus far. i still plan on either fixing up terra or remaking her for 2011 and ravens going again so not much new there. =/ but omg nikki i will hug you in taokaka <3 D: taokakas are always so warm....
The jacket is so soft. I love it :3 I need to work on finishing the edges on the paws and finishing up the mask. In order to finish the mask though I need the lights >_>

Here is my list for Tao:
I need to add lining to the hood
Finish the edges on the paws
Paint the claws and attach them
Sew the details into the leg warmers
cover the mask with fabric
Make the LED light setup and attach the eyes
Make multiple mouths that will be attached by velcro
Buy the shoes
Add craft foam for the detailing on the shoes.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 11:05:10 am by nikkiolie »

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #65 on: September 17, 2010, 11:26:45 am »
Oh thank you for that! That pattern is much better!!!
And I love dying wigs actually. I've done two so far and it's kinda become a breeze for me. So it's not really the work that's the problem for me. More of a Purple/black or just black since it's impossible to get a pure black with dye (Since all ink black has some purple in it).
I've found that that website is best for searching for patterns. ^_^ They have ~everything~. If you feel comfortable dying a wig, I say go for it! I would screw it up. XD
Burda patterns can be a little screwy, sizing wise, so you have to follow the sizing chart pretty closely. :3
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #66 on: September 17, 2010, 11:40:59 am »
Quick question for you all, besides American Apparel, where is a good place to shop for Solid color zip-up hoodies.

Getting stuff together for this. I found a jacket that is a little too dark at AA, so I might go with something lighter and dye it. But I would rather avoid that as I am a little afraid of it staining the white zipper.

~2012 cosplay mofos~

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #67 on: September 17, 2010, 11:43:22 am »
Quick question for you all, besides American Apparel, where is a good place to shop for Solid color zip-up hoodies.

Getting stuff together for this. I found a jacket that is a little too dark at AA, so I might go with something lighter and dye it. But I would rather avoid that as I am a little afraid of it staining the white zipper.
Check Value Village. That is where I got the red jacket for Zoey. Also places like Target, K-mart, Fred Meyers

Offline Classy Viking

• Chibi
    • My Random the Thoughts through the Days
« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2010, 12:03:17 pm »

Old Navy, with have them in spades.
BUNCH OF BABY DUCKS
SEEND THEM TO THE MOON~

Junior Cadet of the TD BRO CHAD

My [Censored] belong to Nikki J

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2010, 02:23:42 pm »
Got the goggles for my Butterfree Gijinka today... I just need to paint the base teal, make the lenses red, and add some little antenna action and they'll be good to go. Akicon here I come.

Hoping to get a shot of the wig at some point, but my friend has it at her house. XD
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline Mei Long

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2010, 05:27:21 pm »
Awwwww, those are adorable!!! =D I'm really excited to see them colored teal/red.
Montez Bailey, 1988 - 2009, we miss you, rest in peace.

!~~~No Kumoricon for me. See ya'll at Akicon 2011~~~!

Akicon 2011 Costumes: Genderbent Kim Pine, Marshall Lee

2012: YoYo, Czeslaw, ???

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #71 on: September 18, 2010, 10:30:50 pm »
yayyyyy!!!! So i went shopping today and got a bunch of stuff for my Joey cosplay :333
I should be altering/tearing up the jeans and painting yellow stripes on the white shirt tomorrow.

Also Im looking for good 4 way stretch vinyl and the only good stuff I found was online. Has anyone bought from spandex house? o3o
I just wanna know if its safe to buy from there. I heard some pretty good feedback about it on coscom.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2010, 10:31:05 pm by meep »

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #72 on: September 18, 2010, 10:33:25 pm »
My mom yelled at me for spending college money on con stuff. >.>
She told me to get my priorities straight. She doesn't understand cons are my top priority right now.

I'm still waiting on my Misty wig and to go 'school' shopping to get the shorts and shoes I need for Misty.
I'm going to dig through the bonus room for the stuff I need for her bag and pray I find it all. D|

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2010, 10:59:26 pm »
She told me to get my priorities straight. She doesn't understand cons are my top priority right now.
No offense, but college should come before cons. Even if cosplaying is your OMG FAV thing to do, college will lead to far better things than cosplay.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2010, 11:01:04 pm »
I ripped apart my Kumatora dress for Akicon because I didn't like it.
Hopefully I'll be making a new one. I'm a little upset though because apparently the Joanns here is bare because they are moving, and it's the only Joanns in town.
So I'm going to go there on Monday and pray they have some duck canvas for my Ramona bags. Then I'm going to Hancock to get stuff for Kumatora's dress. 'fraid I'mma have to cancel my cow cosplay for Akicon. It was day 0 cosplay though so I don't really mind.

~2012 cosplay mofos~

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #75 on: September 18, 2010, 11:28:40 pm »
No offense, but college should come before cons. Even if cosplaying is your OMG FAV thing to do, college will lead to far better things than cosplay.
Well, it's cause I already paid for college this term and she told me once I paid, I could use some money for con preparation.
And since my college money priority is past, cons are at the top of the list so I can get ready for AkiCon. She just decided to go back on what she said and scold me for doing something she was was alright as long as I paid for school first. -.-

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2010, 11:51:09 am »
Oh man, instead of doing Ushi I'm going to be doing a secret cosupray instead I'M EXCITED. It'll be from Scott Pilgrim. And all I'm gonna say is "Merge"

~2012 cosplay mofos~

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2010, 12:44:55 pm »

Misty : Buy/Paint shoes

What size shoe are you?
I have a pair of red airwalk/converse you can use if you fit :D

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2010, 01:41:25 pm »
I have no clue what those are but okay, ^^;
Im not a shoe person. I wear boots and my Shape Ups and thats it...
But I am a 6.5-7 in shoes.

Offline Teddy_Bearxx

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2010, 01:55:32 pm »
There a seven in a half; and I'll send you pictures once I get them washed.
[using them for my dad on friday, and will bring them next time I come to portland]

oslapedo

« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2010, 02:26:28 pm »
Ordered my Ritsu wig and sending the money for Maddy's Sora wig tomorrow. I do believe I need to start working on actual costumes~

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2010, 07:57:43 pm »
I've changed my sig so everyone can see what I'm looking at doing for '11...  Is that more progress?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline AgehaIX

• Catgirl
    • tumblr
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2010, 11:13:58 pm »
sldfsndkfns Must get fake blood and my new wig needs to get here so i can figure how im going to do battle damage spaiiiiiiiiiin.
kcon 13': Ranma Saotome, TBA, TBA

Offline frogger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2010, 11:18:39 pm »
i am cosplaying as Chrono from Chrono crusade but i am having the hardest time finding a long purlpe wig that will work for him

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline frogger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #85 on: September 20, 2010, 12:04:35 am »
thrift store

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2010, 02:52:55 am »
^That's probably your best bet unless you want to make it. Long coats are expensive.

I'm done with the blades! (the crossguards are mostly done too but I have no pictures.)
I just need to paint them and figure out what I'm doing for the pommels.

These are for the Blue Spirit from Avatar: the Last Airbender. c:
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #87 on: September 20, 2010, 06:48:19 am »
Ordered my Ritsu wig and sending the money for Maddy's Sora wig tomorrow. I do believe I need to start working on actual costumes~
Wait, which Sora? xDD

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #88 on: September 20, 2010, 07:54:50 am »
my "winter" cosplay is almost finished just need to add 6 more triangles..... i never wanna see another triangle in my life after this though
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #89 on: September 20, 2010, 01:30:47 pm »
I went shopping today to get some stuff for my cosplays. I didn't find much of what I needed sadly but I stocked up on thread, zippers, and patterns at Joanns. They are having a liquidation sale and I got $160 worth of stuff for $40!! I'm pretty pleased. Looks like my Central Oregon projects will be 1.5 subspace purses, a skirt for Makomo, and Ramona's hammer.

~2012 cosplay mofos~

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #90 on: September 20, 2010, 03:25:02 pm »
i am cosplaying as Chrono from Chrono crusade but i am having the hardest time finding a long purlpe wig that will work for him

:o

EPIC!!!

Offline Naruchan

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #91 on: September 20, 2010, 03:36:18 pm »
^That's probably your best bet unless you want to make it. Long coats are expensive.

I'm done with the blades! (the crossguards are mostly done too but I have no pictures.)
I just need to paint them and figure out what I'm doing for the pommels.

These are for the Blue Spirit from Avatar: the Last Airbender. c:
THOSE LOOK SO AWESOME! *is commissioning those because she sucks*
:) I'm excited to see more pictures of your progress!
Next con: Kumori-con

Offline frogger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #92 on: September 20, 2010, 06:02:54 pm »

EPIC!!!
/
well thank you..do you know a good place i can go to find the wig?

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #93 on: September 20, 2010, 06:18:29 pm »
Found some gloves today. A set of brown ones for Matryoshka Luka and a pair of white ones which will be useful for several things. >:3

I also found some other lovely things at fabric Depot I could use. Since their also having a pretty massive sale. =D
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #94 on: September 20, 2010, 06:37:20 pm »

EPIC!!!
/
well thank you..do you know a good place i can go to find the wig?

Um, ebay?  There's also a wig place near the Lloyd Center Mall.  I think it's called Wig World, or Wig Land, or something like that.  They also do a 10% discount for cosplayers.  You know where the MAX line runs, just a block south of the mall?  Well, this place is North of the mall and a little bit West.  (If I remember right, there's a Safeway acrossed the street).

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #95 on: September 20, 2010, 07:13:28 pm »
Wig Land doesn't have very many wigs in strange colours. For long and purple, you'd probably need to order online.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #96 on: September 20, 2010, 07:39:37 pm »
They had quite a bit more than I expected.  Plus, they also have extensions that you could use.  Either way, I'd recommend looking at various options before you pick one; stuff in person first, I'd also recommend.

oslapedo

« Reply #97 on: September 20, 2010, 11:28:43 pm »
Baby progress. Found a white button up shirt I can hem for Meido Yoko and have been playing/watching battle theater SC2 since I got home which has been pumping me up for Xianghua.

Offline Venusgate

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #98 on: September 21, 2010, 12:07:10 am »
Baby progress. Found a white button up shirt I can hem for Meido Yoko and have been playing/watching battle theater SC2 since I got home which has been pumping me up for Xianghua.
Is it still allowed to be abbreviated SC2, now that Starcraft II came out?
...NEVER KNOWS BEST

oslapedo

« Reply #99 on: September 21, 2010, 12:35:26 am »
Fff stupid Starcraft and its getting all up in my acronyms.