Author Topic: Anyone else pumped for the SSBM tournament this year?  (Read 50964 times)

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
Anyone else pumped for the SSBM tournament this year?
« on: August 06, 2005, 01:43:52 am »
I am so pleased they're doing another Smash Bros. tournament this year. Just wanted to know if there is any people that have been looking forward to the Smash tourny this year? There was a lot of great competition at last year's Kumoricon, and I hope that there is even more people that will prove to be worthy opponents this year. I did decently well last year (got to the final four...I was the ganondorf player named "Dorf"...lol) and I hope to do even better this year...possibly even win (one can dream, can't they? :P)

Dman was one of, if not the best players there...props go out to you man :D

Pyon.
Baby seals make me smile...

until they start talking...

:(

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2005, 05:01:48 am »
I didn't enter last year. But I've been playing the game far more than is healthy, and I think I may enter.

Generally, if I use an alias for SSBM, it's 'IJIT'. Look for me.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2005, 12:30:33 pm »
I'd really like to play SSBM but I doubt I would last the first or second round.  I usually play Mario when I'm playing with friends and I consider myself to be one level above "button-mashing".

If I had more practice I would consider it though.

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2005, 11:42:25 am »
Mwahaha Im entering. this will be the second ssbm tourny i win >:D this will be my first time at kumori btw, i will give the one called Dman a worthy match

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2005, 08:50:16 pm »
ehh...you're pretty confident huh?

Don't worry though, i'm sure either my friend or I will win the tourny this year...you can have fun trying though :P

Pyon.

Heavensclone

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2005, 01:36:00 am »
I'm calling Dman out.  I might even do it during the opening ceremonies.  I'm not too great at melee.  My first two round were first place victories with Falco, then I failed.  But I want a one on one match on Final Destination, three stock, with Dman.

I'll be the Dante at the con, and I'll put my SSBM nickname is Dane.

I can do it!

Offline Waffles

• Bunnygirl
    • http://myspace.com/skelewhore
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2005, 01:40:23 am »
dane oh my god is a god  god god godo god god god
Good, Bad,  i'm the guy with the gun.

Offline iorichaos

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2005, 08:14:55 am »
I cant wait to have dman fall by my marth...this will be fun >:D

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2005, 06:36:51 pm »
Ehhh...everybody at cons either plays:

Falco

Marth

Fox

Shiek

Peach

...well...everybody except the pro players.

Anonymous

Good luck!
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2005, 10:28:03 pm »
It's nice to see everybody getting excited over this year's tourny. I won last year (just by a hair) and it'll be great fun to play again! I can hope to win again, but we'll see. Good luck to dman and dan(t)e!

I was the green Marth - names take too long to write in.

Heavensclone

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2005, 12:22:23 am »
I thought Dman won the tournament?

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2005, 12:50:01 am »
Quote from: "limeloverj2x"
Ehhh...everybody at cons either plays:

Falco

Marth

Fox

Shiek

Peach

...well...everybody except the pro players.
\
I was in the tourny last year and I played as a Link so :p

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2005, 02:16:11 am »
Therefore, you have my respect since you didn't play one of the constantly picked characters :P

No, Dman did not win, he got eliminated at about the second round of fights. Dman is a great player, but melee screws over even the best of them.

I think I remember the guy who won last year....he's the guy who eliminated me in the semi-finals in the last melee battle....kudos to you.

Dman is good competition, but I assure you, my friend and I are on par with Dman, so it's not going to just be him you need to defeat.

I look forward to meeting you all and having a good time playing SSBM....:)

Pyon

Offline iorichaos

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2005, 10:19:24 am »
Are the matches one on one? I hope so because at some of the tournys ive gone to, people get tripple teamed at times.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2005, 11:12:07 am »
Quote from: "iorichaos"
Are the matches one on one? I hope so because at some of the tournys ive gone to, people get tripple teamed at times.

I kinda doubt it.  If it were one-on-one, I can see this tournament taking a long time to finish.

@limeloverj2x
I usually play as Mario when I play with friends and one of my friends like to play as Ness.

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2005, 03:51:27 pm »
This is what it said under the tournament rules and schedules thread in this forum.

Quote from: "Kalira"
Rules have been modified from the Penny Arcade Expo site with permission.

Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)
- Single elimination
- 1 vs 1
- 4 stock
- 6 minute time limit
- Items set to Low
- Banned Items (tentative): Heart, tomatoe, food, star, hammer, cloaking device, party ball, metal box, red koopa shell, mushroom
- Banned Stages (tentative): Hyrule, Termina, Brinstar Depths, Yoshi 64, Icicle Mtn., Flatzone, Big Blue

I would have thought that it would have been melee, but the rules that were posted for SSBM seem to say otherwise, but if i'm reading it wrong, or you know otherwise....please tell me :)

I am in full support of a 1 Vs. 1 tournament. Kinda wish it was only 3 stock, I can understand the time limit completely, but with 4 stock, there is a good possibility that people will go to Sudden Death...which, in my opinion, is really lame. I don't really like playing with items, but as long as they ban the really cheaps ones (which they have) then I can deal with it. I am completely for banning all of those joke levels that are on the ban list....I hate Hyrule soooo much.

Pyon.

Anonymous

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2005, 04:44:34 pm »
I'm really hoping they do a team tournament as well as a melee tournament.  They did a team one for Naruto last year, so it would make sense.

All of us should gather on like the first night of the con or the night before if they have the game room open and practice with each other!  I really wanna see all your guys' skillz!

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2005, 05:16:08 pm »
I agree. I actually think it would be a really fun idea if they had a team tournament in addition to the regular tournament...although I don't know how possible it would be.

I am planning on practicing before the tournament in the game room, i'll be playing Ganondorf (as usual)...looking forward to seeing you all there.

Pyon.

Offline Digital Watches

• Oni
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2005, 10:35:14 pm »
Yes.
What I DON'T like is people who play Sheik but not Zelda, or vice versa. It's an insult to us Zelda/Sheik players.

Anonymous

« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2005, 12:22:24 am »
I used to be a Sheik player and never would use Zelda.  Now I use Zelda more than I use Sheik.

Lime, I'll be playing as Fox, or the occasionally Jigglypuff yelling out "RAAAAAAPE!" everytime I do Jiggly's down-grab.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2005, 11:14:53 am »
Quote from: "limeloverj2x"
This is what it said under the tournament rules and schedules thread in this forum.

Quote from: "Kalira"
Rules have been modified from the Penny Arcade Expo site with permission.

Super Smash Bros. Melee (Gamecube)
- Single elimination
- 1 vs 1
- 4 stock
- 6 minute time limit
- Items set to Low
- Banned Items (tentative): Heart, tomatoe, food, star, hammer, cloaking device, party ball, metal box, red koopa shell, mushroom
- Banned Stages (tentative): Hyrule, Termina, Brinstar Depths, Yoshi 64, Icicle Mtn., Flatzone, Big Blue

I would have thought that it would have been melee, but the rules that were posted for SSBM seem to say otherwise, but if i'm reading it wrong, or you know otherwise....please tell me :)

Pyon.

Whoops, didn't read that so scratch what I said.
And I'm probably not going to play in the tournament, but I like the party ball and Hyrule level.  What I don't like is that small level based on Link: Majora's Mask (Lot's of Water, there's a turtle, small cottage; sorry, don't know the name)

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2005, 06:45:41 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
I used to be a Sheik player and never would use Zelda.  Now I use Zelda more than I use Sheik.

Lime, I'll be playing as Fox, or the occasionally Jigglypuff yelling out "RAAAAAAPE!" everytime I do Jiggly's down-grab.

lol.

Negima-You're refering to Termina (AKA Great Bay), which is on the list of banned levels. While I personally like the level, I can see why it should be banned from the tournament, as there is many ways to get screwed over really easily on that level.

...Sheik players need to use Zelda too...if you can't see the amazing advantages that Zelda has to offer, then you're just playing blind.

Pyon.

Cyclone

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2005, 12:18:10 am »
i am so excited about this years ssbm tourny
last year i came in second (i was the pink C. Falcon)
but now my best character is.... Peach
i cant wait to play everyone this year
mabey Southern Oregon will dominate again last year we took first second and third

Deahawk

Heh...
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2005, 12:23:38 am »
I didn't go to last years tourny, but I heard Dorf was good, but my friends dominated.  I'll be going this year, and so far I'm ranked #1 in southern Oregon, a lot better than the winner last year.  I promise to give you a good run for your money.

And remember the scary death Marth that took third?  I better than him too...

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
Re: Heh...
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2005, 12:37:39 am »
Quote from: "Deahawk"
I didn't go to last years tourny, but I heard Dorf was good, but my friends dominated.  I'll be going this year, and so far I'm ranked #1 in southern Oregon, a lot better than the winner last year.  I promise to give you a good run for your money.

And remember the scary death Marth that took third?  I better than him too...

Haha...finally some respect.

I really don't know what to make of the competition this year, but all I can say is that it's going to be an interesting tournament this year.

As good as I was last year...well...let's just say I was a trash player then, compared to how good I am now. I can't even believe I got 4th with the skills I had last year, so i'm praying that everyone's skills have matured as much as mine have. I love good competition :)

Pyon.

Deahawk

I'm ecstatic
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2005, 12:47:20 am »
I'm getting really excited!   I want to play in the tourny and meet new challenges!  I look forward to fighting you.  My main is fox, and use Y. link, Ganondorf, sheik, falco, C. Falcon, Link, and sometimes Marth as secondaries (yeah...lots of seconds)

Are we going to be using names this year, because that way we could identify each other, and in official tourny's they use names.  It wouldn't take a whole long time to set up, even if it is around 60 people.  just when a person goes up to fight for the first time, they put in their name and use it next time.
 In official tourny's they also do best two out of three matches, because items and stage conditions can make it so that the better one doesn't really win (like last year when the third place guy got third instead of first and way way more skilled than the first placed guy, being a free for all and items)

Deahawk

double post (I'm so excited)
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2005, 12:56:22 am »
I forgot to say that I also heard that you knew to use ganon's kick as recovery.  That means your serious about the game, and you'll be good.  and a samus that bomb jumped and would graple to the side (not hard, but if your a newb you wouldn't know) and unlock the graple beam the first time everytime he did it.

Where did you learn how to do this kinda stuff?  Do you know what wavedashing, shining, and all the advanced stuff is?  I've always wanted to fight a Ganon like this.

Anonymous

wee
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2005, 12:58:52 am »
I'll probably use my best, Fox, in the tournament.  As confident as I am in 1v1 matches and stuff, it's still very nerve racking when you enter competition like this.  My legs kinda get numb and my arms start to tingle.  Strange, ne?

I remember when I was in the SSBM tournament at Sakuracon, some yelled, "Fox in a melee??" .....

Maybe it's time for some Ice Climbers action!

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2005, 01:16:19 am »
It would be wonderful if we could do best 2 out of 3, but since there is time constraints, I don't think it's very possible...but I agree with you, really really talented players can get screwed by a stroke of luck, and it's really frustrating when that happens.

It would be awesome if we could all identify by names in the game, but I don't believe people would like it very much...i'm sure they would be complaining with "hurry up!" etc....it's kinda lame, but oh well. I'll try to be sure to remember everyone and who they play as and ask something like "did you post in my thread on SSBM on the kumoricon forums?11!!1!1!1!!!eleventyone"

or something stupid like that...lol.

If everybody's as good as they say they are, we'll notice each other :)

Deahawk-Where are these official tournaments you play at, because if they're not too far away, I might have to go road trippin :P

Yeah! I know how to use the kick as recovery...I am serious about the game. I just recently mastered wavedashing. I think I know what shining is, but i've never heard it refered to as such...so just in case...explanation please? I know pretty much all the advanced stuff in the game, most of it I learned playing with my friend, others I learned just from looking around online.

The Samus who could do the advanced stuff was Dman, the one who should have won the tournament (at least in my eyes).

As far as how good I am with Ganon, all I can say is that i've never played, or heard of, another person who plays him as well as I do. But you never know, there is always the possibility of someone better.

And btw...how do you know these things about me?...do you know a guy named Nick?

Deahawk

yay
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2005, 01:28:01 am »
Nope, when my friends came back they told me billions of story's.  I didn't get to go last year because I had no money, but I have a job now, so it's all good.

the tourny's are very far away...sadly, usually in southern california or accross the country. :(

Shining is when....you know what...I'll show you...don't wanna give away my weapons now do I?  you should be able to find it online easily enough, and i'll be the one doing it and probably saying something about it.

I will tell who you are by a ganon that wavedashes, you will probably see a wavedashing fox with the name of Wench, or Deahawk or something if we use game names, Garrett if it's our real ones.

I will tell you something to practice that is very important for Ganon.  L- canceling!  you hit L or R right before you hit the ground when performing an aerial to decrease your lag by half.

If you can't tell i'm pretty serious about the game, and know pretty much all the advanced tricks.  don't worry, I don't infinate.

Deahawk

Oh right
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2005, 01:29:57 am »
and I haven't really played at an official tourny, I talk to the people who are considered pros online and watch vids, and play the game with friends.

I would say I am almost pro level, not quite, but i'm catching up quickly.

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2005, 01:45:26 am »
Dude, it's cool, I am very serious about the game too, so I know where you're coming from...why else would I have started this thread?

I would say I am at the same level...almost completely pro, but not quite.

The first thing that I thought of when I heard "shining" was using Fox's reflector, in general, as an offensive weapon...(i.e. dragging someone off the stage by repeatedly using the reflector while wavedashing at them.)

And after I looked it up, I found I was right...lol.

I'll be looking out for you, now that I know that you know how to shine offensively...the stakes have been raised. Dude...L-canceling...that's like second nature to me now...that stuff was learned long ago. Like I said, if I can enter my name in the game i'll be "Dorf", but otherwise, my name is Andrew :)

Haha, it feels cool that someone noticed my skills at last years tourny.

You're getting me really pumped for the tournament, and I have a feeling that you just might be my greatest competition.

Deahawk

NICE!!
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2005, 01:48:30 am »
Your even better than they said!

I can't wait, and yes, your right.  If we get a match together I can tell it'll be a good one.

Deahawk

oh wait
« Reply #33 on: August 12, 2005, 01:52:20 am »
the repeated wavedash shine is called a waveshine, and that is hard as hell.  I can usually do a three part one, but it's an unreliable skill against most characters except bowser and dk, and I don't practice that move much anyway.

so yeah, shining is basically hitting with the shield.  Shine spiking is using the reflector to kill them when they are off the side.

Great, now i reveiled my playing strategy.  but don't fret, I have other tricks up my clever sleeves.  I got a throw combo I haven't seen or heard of anybody else using yet :)

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #34 on: August 12, 2005, 02:04:54 am »
Haha...this is exciting.

Don't worry, your tactics will go straight over most player's heads, so no need to fret about people seeing your tactics.

Even if we don't have a match in the tourny together, we gotta get together and have a couple matches together in free play.

Also, my friend is so pro as C. Falcon, so you have him to contend to with as well. He's my regular sparring partner, so we're pretty much on the same skill level.

As far as the advanced stuff, I pretty much know how to do all of it.

Meteors, spiking, wavedashing, L-canceling, teching, short jumping, chain-throwing...you name it. Mastering this game has been my main video game endeavor for about 2 years straight now...and it shows.

We'll probably end up hanging out in the gaming room, so i'll see you there.

Deahawk

« Reply #35 on: August 12, 2005, 02:36:34 am »
you even know the difference between meteor smashes and spikes!!  Chain throwing too!  I think this tourny will be really fun.

I kinda like the hyrule temple stage...but yeah, it's gotta be ban if we have a match, or if any of the people around here have a match with anyone.  It'd never end.
  Final Destination stage is good for Marths though...I don't really like him much.  Too many people use him, and he's all I fight, so I have more practice than I think I need to take them out easily enough.

Maybe I'll see a decent bowser.

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #36 on: August 12, 2005, 02:50:30 am »
I really wanna see someone play a decent Bowser...that would be cool.

Blech, I know what you mean about too many Marths, but I guess the main advantage would be that since so many people play him, i'm used to his play style, thus I have an easier time when so many people pick him.

Hyrule is all right, but with the rules given, it would be too easy for someone to stall out a victory, or force a sudden death (since each match in the tourny is gonna have a time limit).

I prefer final destination for 1 Vs. 1 battles, but as far as melee goes, i'd rather play somewhere else.

...I just hope I don't get screwed early on in the tourny by some fluke incident, which is what happened at this year's Sakuracon.

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: August 12, 2005, 03:58:49 am »
Oh. If I DO play, I always try to play as somebody weird. Expect to see me as Pi(ka)chu, Ness, Mr. Game and Watch, Ganon, or Young Link.

Mostly Pikachu and Ness. They're my two best.

Deahawk

« Reply #38 on: August 12, 2005, 04:09:27 pm »
How many characters will we be allowed to use in the tourney?  Official rules are two (although they use the best two out of three rule, so you counter pick characters)

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #39 on: August 12, 2005, 04:15:51 pm »
I'm sure they won't even check (or care)...you could use as many different characters for as many different rounds you play...this could give advantages to certain skilled individuals. Then again, this could always change, but that's how it was at sakuracon this year, and how it was at kumoricon last year.

I'm trying to improve my Roy for that very reason :)

Offline Zenn

• Chibi
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2005, 06:41:48 pm »
heh. with Deahawk in the tourney, its gunna be a slaughter. even though im doomed to fail against him, Im still going to enter the tourney. cant w8!
2008 Kumoricon costumes:

Cap'n Power(Applegeeks)...maybe
Mousse(Ranma ½)

Anonymous

« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2005, 06:42:40 pm »
I feel so ashamed....Wavedash shine? Wave shine?? Oh man....I'm good at SSBM, but I've never heard of those two, I've only heard of wave dashing.  Gah........

Is there a glossary or index online somewhere that will explain every term?

Cyclone

« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2005, 10:10:42 pm »
w00t for torneys!!!
i am getting so excited. People are talking in my languge (even though i hang out with deahawk almost everyday). Lime i dont know if you remeber me but we played together in a couple matches (at least the last one) i too have gotten so much better.i was the pink C.Falcon but now i play about a hundred times better with Peach.
Cant wait!

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #43 on: August 12, 2005, 10:31:25 pm »
Haha...I remember you. I remember that tournament very well.

Glad to hear your skill has improved :)

Pyon.

dmstudios3

SMASH
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2005, 12:06:38 am »
I will be coming to kumoricon this year.  I would like to play against anybody who is willing.  I haven't played in a while, but my skill remains largely intact.  I've been using Ness, Link, and Bowser.  They are the most fun characters to play.  I have a pretty good Bowser.  

I got third at Sakuracon with Bowser.  Everybody was chanting his name.  It was great.  Oh, and by the way, this is D-Man to anybody who is interested.  Challenges are fun!

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2005, 12:18:26 am »
Ahh...D-man. I don't know if you remember me or not, but we played a couple of times at Kumoricon, I played Ganon. You're one of the best players i've ever played, so i'm glad you can make it this year. I look forward to playing you.

Haha, it's funny now that I think about it, but you got screwed at Kumoricon last year (I remember watching your match) and I did pretty well (4th), and then at Sakuracon this year you did well and got 3rd, while I got eliminated early on. Melee is crazy like that sometimes :cry:

Also, are you planning on entering any AMV's this year? I believe you entered 1 (or 2) last year, and they were good. Just curious.

Pyon.

Deahawk

Cycypoo
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2005, 01:20:45 am »
Yeah, Cyc's insane now.  With this line up we'll have a lot of fun matches even for the people watching.  
  We'll have to freeplay, yeah.  Get the superstars together for a few rounds.

Offline limeloverj2x

• Cabbit
« Reply #47 on: August 13, 2005, 01:42:50 am »
Yeah man, we gotta round up all the exceptionally good players and have a couple of rounds together...it's a must now that we have so many good players. Looking forward to it.

Pyon.

Heavensclone

« Reply #48 on: August 13, 2005, 05:08:13 pm »
Hey Dman, who are you going as this year?  I'm sorry, but I can't remember faces too well.  I just remembered sitting next to ya at Sakuracon and saying "Wow, your pretty good.  There was a guy at Kumoricon called Dman who was pretty awesome too."

You're like, "That was me, I'm Dman" or something.

I felt kinda stupid.  I'll just yell out your name as loud as I can and see who responds.

Heavensclone

« Reply #49 on: August 13, 2005, 05:09:48 pm »
Oh yeah, do you guys wanna set up some kind of time we can meet in the game room for some matches?  I was just about to email some kumori staff about if the game room will be open on Friday night.