Author Topic: Kumoricon Location / Area Questions  (Read 998122 times)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Kumoricon 2011 Location / Area Questions
« Reply #300 on: August 28, 2011, 02:29:54 pm »
^ That was the Red Lion they were talking about.  I laughed when I heard Pidgy Wings, because my girlfriend & I, along with a couple of her co-workers, call the cheap chicken sandwiches at Arby's Pidgy Sammiches.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #301 on: August 31, 2011, 02:50:23 pm »
This has probably been asked before but I don't want to go read through all the pages. DX
What does the Red Lion rooms come with? Mini Fridge? Microwave?

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline TalaRedWolf33

• Bunnygirl
    • Full Moon Crochet
« Reply #302 on: September 03, 2011, 07:06:42 am »
Can someone tell me where its free to park?

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #303 on: February 24, 2012, 04:39:44 pm »
So.... I e-mailed Hilton and asked them about parking. They said, " Since our parking lot will be used for Kumoricon events, and the other lots are not run by the hotel, we won’t be the ones handling any of those arrangements, it will go directly through your Kumoricon team."

What does this mean for parking? What did people who kept a car with them during the convention do about parking and price? I've only ever been dropped off, but this year we need to keep a vehicle with us.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #304 on: February 27, 2012, 09:43:19 am »
So.... I e-mailed Hilton and asked them about parking. They said, " Since our parking lot will be used for Kumoricon events, and the other lots are not run by the hotel, we won’t be the ones handling any of those arrangements, it will go directly through your Kumoricon team."

What does this mean for parking? What did people who kept a car with them during the convention do about parking and price? I've only ever been dropped off, but this year we need to keep a vehicle with us.

The Facilities Team is working on new and better ways to solidify Parking for convention guests. Be advised that the Red Lion Hotel will be checking to make sure you are a guest of the Hotel and giving out Vouchers or Passes for entry into their parking lot most likely (as this is what they did last year) so make sure you are a guest there before trying to park in their lot. There are a few other lots in the area, and as the details get confirmed I assure you that the Facilities team will post them so you can enjoy the con without worrying about your vehicle.

The Publicity team is also working on a "How to get to Con" video which will include a few routes on Public Transit for those of you wanting to trek in and out of Portland without your car! We want to make this easy and fun for everyone so the task this year is advance planning and knowledge. It's actually surprisingly easy to get to Vancouver, you just gotta know the tricks!

And as I said, for parking, the details are en-route but we want to ensure it's simple, clear and easy before we get that information out there! Hopefully they will have a real good solution for us to report to you soon!
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #305 on: February 27, 2012, 10:44:37 am »
Are they changing where you can park this year? Last year I parked at a gated parking garage near the Hilton, and after midnight we had to ask the Hilton staff to open the garage door for us to get in so we could get our car. We could get out fine, and it wasn't an issue. Is that garage not going to be available? I don't recall it being affiliated with the hotel, the garage had just made it more convenient for the customers to get their car over the weekend because of the con.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #306 on: February 27, 2012, 11:20:34 am »
OK.

I'm just worried about the fact that because my friends and I are staff, and our other roommate is not.... We need to drive up and keep our car with all our stuff there (we can not afford to stay Thursday night), whereas he will be dropped off after work from Salem (and we'll put the hotel in his name so he can check in at 4pm and go up when we'll be busy) So... we need a place to keep our car before the check in time for Hilton. >< Then when we're not working we'd grab our stuff and unload ourselves into our room.

When I asked Hilton if this was possible, to keep our car in their lot since we're guests but will not technically be "checked in yet" and if our non staff roommate can register the car to our room even though it's not his but he'd have all the info, they simply responded they're not responsible for Kumoricon attended parking.... ><

Same thing goes for Monday. We can't stay Monday night but want to stay later to help out. So... we need a place for our car after "check out" time.

We figure if we're needed Thursday before Day 0, and Tuesday, after Day 3, we'd rather drive up from Salem again then stay the night. It's much cheaper. >.> So hopefully there's a free parking lot anyway or that the Hilton would allow us to park somewhere in their lot then.

Oh, and did any Kumoricon attendee have to pay to park for staying at the Hilton? What about this year?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2012, 11:22:45 am by kimiski »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #307 on: February 27, 2012, 01:17:51 pm »
We just parked on the street. Had to pay for Friday when we got there (metered parking), but the weekend was free because it was a holiday. I assume it will be the same next year. Was really easy to park actually.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #308 on: February 27, 2012, 01:19:26 pm »
 :o Free holiday parking!!! SUCCESS!!! *tears of joy*

Offline veraca

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #309 on: February 27, 2012, 01:36:10 pm »
We were at that garage right near there... It's like kiddie-corner from the Hilton by the clock tower kinda. It was pretty cheap, like 5$-10$ a day, considering it was gated.
And we had no problem going in and out getting to the car, only when it was after midnight and the gates were locked did we have to ask the Hilton staff to open it for us. The only thing about the garage was the spots filled up fast if we arrived too late in the morning. We got there mostly before 9am and were ok finding spots, but my car's a compact so it made life easier.

I don't think the Hilton even has access to their parking garage, do they? Last year it was where registration was, and the last time we were at this location, the Dealer's room was in there.
Dreaming is easy, dreamwalking is hard.
Kumori'15
Kanata (Trinity Universe)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #310 on: February 27, 2012, 01:41:21 pm »
^ No they don't, that's why I was wondering what on earth I was going to do or what's being done. xD

Offline RonitheBear

• Oni
    • My Art Tumblr
« Reply #311 on: July 01, 2012, 09:20:51 pm »
Does anyone know the policies of the area next to the Hilton (the square/park area with the clock tower)? I was thinking of doing some chalk drawing there, which can be cleaned up easily, but I don't want to upset anyone too much.
25. And the Lord spake unto the Angel that guarded the eastern gate, saying Where is the flaming sword that was given unto thee?
26. And the Angel said, I had it here only a moment ago. I must have put it down somewhere, forget my own head next.

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #312 on: June 09, 2013, 06:56:54 pm »
There was a large chalk mural in the park last year, so I highly doubt it's frowned upon (especially since it looked like it hadn't even been attacked with a hose by the graffiti patrol or anything)

I myself am planning some sidewalk chalk art to do a cosplay photoshoot, since it went over so well at Fanime (myself and a friend drew a large pair of black wings in the park for the Supernatural cosplayers to use, and the San Jose public works guys even liked them :D )

If anyone tells you to stop, offer to clean it up for them if they get you a hose. No harm no foul, it's just chalk after all.

Edit: WOW WHOOPS TALK ABOUT A LATE REPLY I thought the date on your question said "June 1 2013". I hope your chalk mural went well at con last year.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2013, 06:58:20 pm by LtCommanderRichie »

Offline DufenDorgen

• Cabbit
Re: Food Options in Vancouver
« Reply #313 on: August 09, 2013, 07:30:09 pm »
I am just wondering..... what are my food options in the Vancouver area?

I know, per google maps, there's a Joe's Crab Shack and other stuff..... what else ya got? Any fast food? Please help me!

(Note: Merged in from a separate thread. ~randompvg)
I highly recommend Joe browns, they maybe closed on holidays and they do close everyday at 3pm. Though they're food is amazing and serve in large portions. It's an old 50's diner that never changed. It's located on main street near Kiggins theater.

There's also the very good "Vancouver pizza" on upper main street and Peeking gardens is a good chinses resturant, though they are nazi's when it comes to changing things on they're menue. There is a mcminamins and beaches right next to each other on the waterfront. In grand central plaza there is a red robin, "Rock pizza" and panda express.
I sell snake oil and snake oil accessories. ;)

Offline amdreamer

• Oni
« Reply #314 on: August 30, 2013, 10:31:08 am »
So we can just park anywhere on the curb free because of the holiday weekend?  I won't have to worry about getting towed :P

This issue has been freaking me out all week.  I don't really mind walking 1 mile + for parking if it is affordable or free ^_^

Offline PandaPanda

• Cabbit
    • Instagram
Re: Kumoricon Location / Area Questions
« Reply #315 on: June 22, 2014, 04:21:05 pm »
Does anyone know where the actual con will be? I know it's near red lion and the hilton, but I'm not staying in a hotel so I was wondering where the con itself will take place.
2016:
Day 0: Panda kigirumi
Day 1: Konan am, school girl am
Day 2: Lolita
Day 3: Panda kigirumi or normal clothes

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #316 on: June 22, 2014, 04:43:52 pm »
Does anyone know where the actual con will be? I know it's near red lion and the hilton, but I'm not staying in a hotel so I was wondering where the con itself will take place.
It's not NEAR Those hotels. It's IN them both hotels have rooms like the meeting rooms and such that are the con stuff. So like panels and main events and such are INSIDE the hotels. There's no separate building with the con in it.

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
« Reply #317 on: June 22, 2014, 06:33:07 pm »
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the park this year... I've heard that the park is rented to a different event this year, which sounds like there will be no room for us con-goers. I was hoping to find a topic on it, but I have yet to see one. Anyone know anything about this?

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #318 on: June 22, 2014, 06:53:06 pm »
Hey all. I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about the park this year... I've heard that the park is rented to a different event this year, which sounds like there will be no room for us con-goers. I was hoping to find a topic on it, but I have yet to see one. Anyone know anything about this?

Hmm..I have not heard that..You'd think the hotels or con staff would have heard something and would try to talk to them..I didn't know you could rent out a public park that anyone can just walk right into..I man it's different if it were a gated part or something where there is a way to stop people from entering in such an occation, but I don't believe a public, OPENED park cxan be rented out to where non eventees are not allowed there..

Offline PaperRoxas

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • My Cosplay deviantART Account
« Reply #319 on: June 22, 2014, 09:20:08 pm »

Hmm..I have not heard that..You'd think the hotels or con staff would have heard something and would try to talk to them..I didn't know you could rent out a public park that anyone can just walk right into..I man it's different if it were a gated part or something where there is a way to stop people from entering in such an occation, but I don't believe a public, OPENED park cxan be rented out to where non eventees are not allowed there..

Well I know that they've had a farmer's market type thing during the con weekend the past few years, so I'm wondering if they decided to hold it in the actual park this year... it's just a rumor, but if it's a true one... that's gonna suck .-.;;;

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #320 on: June 22, 2014, 10:01:24 pm »

Well I know that they've had a farmer's market type thing during the con weekend the past few years, so I'm wondering if they decided to hold it in the actual park this year... it's just a rumor, but if it's a true one... that's gonna suck .-.;;;

Yea I know about that. I was gonna go see but I wasn't in the mood..lol But I looked up the policies for the park uses in seattle (which I assume are very similar to vancouver, seattle just happened to come up), and it looks like there might be a permit that allows a private party to rent out a park, but it is very vague and hard to understand..From what I gather, they need a specific permit (called a non park use permit) which I have not found anything yet on if they make it so they can take an entire park for a whole weekend while a closer yearly event is going on that uses that same park. I'd assume that if the con knew this was happening, they'd try to resolve it, as it's already been used in the past by con attendees and anyone in the area that's been there as long as the con has should be able to say the same.The market seems to run just fine the way it was, so there's no reason they should take up an area other people already are known to enjoy..It won't get them any more customers..In fact it might get them less because no one from con would want to go..

Also, another thing is (and I just thought of this, literally after typing all that), it's a public market where the general public is allowed in at any given time..So they are not a private party..Meaning that they legally can not get a non park use permit.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 10:02:05 pm by Sailor-Jeimi »

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #321 on: June 23, 2014, 03:44:28 am »
OxFest happens in Esther Short Park every year. That may or may not be what you're thinking of. It is a festival celebrating people's recovery from addiction, and tends to happen on the Sunday, if I remember right.

It has never been an exclusive thing. No one forbids con-goers from still visiting the park; it just tends to get pretty crowded and the majority of OxFest participants have been notoriously unfriendly to Kumoricon attendees. Not saying that's how it will be this year, but that's been the trend so far, unfortunately.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #322 on: July 07, 2014, 08:13:42 pm »
Man I been lookin for this thread all day. I have a reply about the market taking over the park. They can't. That wouldn't work if they do. A farmers market is a public market, which means it's open to the general public. Meaning they can not forbid the public from there because if they did, they'd get no business.

Offline Ryo~T.B

• Sailor Scout
    • Twitter
« Reply #323 on: July 08, 2014, 08:25:30 am »
Nothings rented out. Kumoricon, the farmers market, and and any other small event would share the park like previous years. The park is not reserved to any one due to it being a public park. Thus saying sailor-jeimi said. So don't worry its ok.
--------------------------------
You. Ya, you. Hi. Have a nice day. You're beautiful inside and out. ( ^ω^) 🐼

Offline Sailor-Jeimi

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Twitter
    • YouTube
« Reply #324 on: July 08, 2014, 01:42:31 pm »
Nothings rented out. Kumoricon, the farmers market, and and any other small event would share the park like previous years. The park is not reserved to any one due to it being a public park. Thus saying sailor-jeimi said. So don't worry its ok.
Just wanna say..just because it's a public park, does not mean it can't be rented out. I already stated above, but if a company it event wants to, they can submit the proper paperwork to make it so the public can't enter the park. Public park or not, it can still happen. If the recovery people want the park for the weekend try are legally allowed to put in the papers and get a permit for that. So just the fact that it's a public park does not mean it can't be rented and closed to the public with a proper permit. Just thought it'd be a good idea to clear that up.

Offline Ryo~T.B

• Sailor Scout
    • Twitter
« Reply #325 on: July 08, 2014, 08:30:24 pm »
They shared it with us last year. We're fine and thats all we need to think about. Don't worry anybody.
--------------------------------
You. Ya, you. Hi. Have a nice day. You're beautiful inside and out. ( ^ω^) 🐼

Offline Soahc Eht

• Oni
« Reply #326 on: July 17, 2014, 04:22:38 am »
I'm wondering if anyone as had problems getting the kumoricon rates at the Comfort Inn & Suites.
I booked there quite some time ago and the kumoricon website says i could get a $95 per night deal for the con. I called the hotel and they said kumoricon does not have a contract with them.
Any thing i can do?
Cosplay for 2014
~Ready~
Lazard Deusericus - Final Fantasy Crisis Core
Sollux (Humanstuck) - Homestuck
Kanaya (Humanstuck and gender bent) - Homestuck

Offline milk.

• Oni
« Reply #327 on: August 28, 2014, 01:55:16 pm »
Because the convention is held on a weekend ( or half of it, anyway) parking is free downtown. There is a parking garage literally across the street from Esther Short Park (under the Vancouver center building) and its like $10 for all day parking, if im not mistaken. There will also be a Maid Cafe held at LUXE  (across the street at ground level of the vancouver center) on Saturday starting at 1pm. Farmers market, CouvFest and some other events will be taking place near the park, but nothing is reserved/off limits for con goers.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #328 on: July 05, 2016, 09:17:45 pm »
Ladies and gentleman,

As a public service to my fellow Kumoricon goers. I will use this thread to provide some important information.  now we all know Kumoricon this year is going to be at the Oregon Convention Center in downtown Portland. And as many if not all of us know Portland traffic can be a real bear sometimes. So why deal with it? There are four MAX/light rail lines you can use to get to the main location for Kumoricon this year.

1. First we have the Green Line MAX. That line goes out to Clackamas town center. if you live near a bus line that can get you to Clackamas Town center, live near Clackamas Town Center itself, or live near any of the Green Line MAX stations then you can hop on and let it take you to the Convention Center Station.
2. Next we have the Blue Line, the biggest of the MAX Lines. This one goes all the way from Hillsboro to Gresham. If you live around any of the stations there, or know buses that can get you to them you can use the Blue Line MAX to get to the Convention Center.
3. If you live near any of the Yellow Line Stations or can take a bus to any of them the Yellow Line MAX will drop you off at the Rose Garden Station and it's a short walk to the Convention Center area.
4. If you know anyone who lives outside of Portland who's planning to fly in to attend the Convention they're in luck. The Red Line MAX goes out to PDX Airport. And Let's face facts if you've ever been to the airport for any reason you know traffic there can get ugly. Well for those coming into Portland from PDX or know a way to get to any of the Red Line stations this is a very handy way to avoid airport traffic and get downtown in good time.

For more detailed information at Tri-Met's website it's free for all. Thanks for reading this post folks.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2016, 10:59:24 am by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Lamoni

• Oni
    • Facebook
« Reply #329 on: August 06, 2016, 04:08:06 am »
As a further public service to all Kumoricon goers,

Here is a list of the nearest supermarkets, and convenience stores, along with how far away they are from the Oregon Convention Center:

Safeway
1100 NE Broadway St
(1.0 miles)

Fred Meyer
3030 NE Weidler St
(1.7 miles)

7-11
310 NE Weidler St
(0.6 miles)

Plaid Pantry
4 SE Grand Ave
(0.4 miles)

Please plan your snack/food/drink runs accordingly.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2016, 04:13:15 am by Lamoni »
K-CON 2018 PLANS: Susanoo from Akame Ga Kill! .