Author Topic: Why do my contacts hurt?  (Read 10992 times)

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
Why do my contacts hurt?
« on: August 19, 2010, 04:02:26 pm »
So this might seem like a dumb question, but I'm still fairly new to contact use so I just want to make sure this isn't a major problem...

I bought some new contacts from pinkyparadise a few weeks ago, and since then I've tried wearing them a few times just to practice getting used to them before con. The only problem is everytime I put them in my eyes seriously BURN to the point that it's hard to keep my eyes open once they're on. This has happened each time I've tried them on, and I wanted to see if anyone had any tips or anything so this wouldn't happen. My old contacts always kind of bothered me too, but it was more of a constant itching sensation I could just ignore.

Maybe my eyes are just overly sensitive? I'm not sure, but any help would be really appreciated guys. =/
Junior Cadet of TD BRO CHAD

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
Re: Why do my contacts hurt?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 04:05:05 pm »
I've never worn contacts, but maybe if you try eye drops?

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2010, 04:08:15 pm »
So this might seem like a dumb question, but I'm still fairly new to contact use so I just want to make sure this isn't a major problem...

I bought some new contacts from pinkyparadise a few weeks ago, and since then I've tried wearing them a few times just to practice getting used to them before con. The only problem is everytime I put them in my eyes seriously BURN to the point that it's hard to keep my eyes open once they're on. This has happened each time I've tried them on, and I wanted to see if anyone had any tips or anything so this wouldn't happen. My old contacts always kind of bothered me too, but it was more of a constant itching sensation I could just ignore.

Maybe my eyes are just overly sensitive? I'm not sure, but any help would be really appreciated guys. =/

Step 1: Make sure your hands are completely clean before putting in contacts. This includes glitter from soap or lint from towels or makeup.
Step 2: Use saline solution not contact cleaner.
Step 3: Try a product like Blink that lubricates the contact and helps with dry eyes (like mine).

If they're costume contacts then it's possible it's just because they aren't perfectly fit to the curvature of your eyes. If they're regular contacts then it could be the brand. I have really dry eyes so for normal contacts I use Acuvue 1 day Moist contacts. I've never used costume contacts, but that's as much advice I can give! Hope it helps!
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2010, 04:10:33 pm »
Have you been washing after and before every use with contact solution? How about keeping your case for them full of the contact solution? Did you buy the correct contact solution? Have you been applying them right side out? Have you been applying them correctly?
A million and one things could go wrong, choose your poison.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2010, 04:17:03 pm »
@Bunny_jean: Well they are costume contacts but they fit to the base curve and diameter my doctor said I needed. I think I might try some eye-drops that are contact friendly though and see if it helps. I've ben using saline solution and doing all the proper cleaning before using them so yeah, I have no idea. =/

@The_Geek: I've been washing them before and after use, changing the solution often and keeping the case full, and applying them just as I was taught at the optometrists office.... I'm seriously stumped on what the problem is.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 04:17:21 pm by Dubaby »

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2010, 04:32:24 pm »
Make sure you're not putting them in backwards. I had a lens that burned every time I tried to wear it and then I took a very careful look at it and it turned out I was wearing it backwards the entire time. Now I have no problem wearing that lens.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2010, 04:33:46 pm »
@Bunny_jean: Well they are costume contacts but they fit to the base curve and diameter my doctor said I needed. I think I might try some eye-drops that are contact friendly though and see if it helps. I've ben using saline solution and doing all the proper cleaning before using them so yeah, I have no idea. =/

@The_Geek: I've been washing them before and after use, changing the solution often and keeping the case full, and applying them just as I was taught at the optometrists office.... I'm seriously stumped on what the problem is.

I think it's probably just the costume contacts. They aren't made to breathe like normal contacts. I would try Blink. That's what I use and they're *amazing.* Also, I don't think you have to worry as much about putting them in backwards if they're costume contacts because they're white on one side and colored on the other right?
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2010, 05:32:43 pm »
No, if a contact had two layers of color it would be all manner of uncomfortable due to the thickness of the plastic and paint. All my contacts are the same color on both sides, even if that does make it difficult to distinguish back and front.

A real close look ought to have you sorted right out, Dubaby, because this sounds exactly like what I went through with my backwards contact. If you're doing everything else right then what else is here to check?

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2010, 05:45:50 pm »
A lot of the time mine burn when going in because of the solution I am using. Sometimes if it is really old it burns or if it is something I am not used to then it burns too.

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2010, 08:01:18 pm »
i have a similar situation with my contacts, both my prescription lenses from an eye clinic and the colored lenses ordered online. I imeadiately use eye drops made for soft contacts and it goes away just as fast.

I think the ultimate reason for the pain is that my contact solution remains on the lenses and causes the pain, the proper solution for this would be to get saline solution and rense the lenses before putting them in.

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2010, 10:11:19 pm »
My contacts are the same color on both sides like Richie said... and they're not backwards, I tried the whole seeing if it makes a "U" shape or not, and even tried flipping them the other way to see what happened and that made it REALLY burn... I seriously have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Dumb question but what exactly is the difference between contact solution and saline solution? I've always just used saline because that's what my friends mom who wears contacts on a daily basis told me to use. I'm going to buy those 'Blink' eyedrops on Monday most likely and see if that helps the situation any...

I've looked online for step-by-step instructions and I'm doing everything right... maybe I'm just using bad products?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2010, 10:12:26 pm by Dubaby »

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2010, 10:29:07 pm »
My contacts are the same color on both sides like Richie said... and they're not backwards, I tried the whole seeing if it makes a "U" shape or not, and even tried flipping them the other way to see what happened and that made it REALLY burn... I seriously have no idea what I'm doing wrong.

Dumb question but what exactly is the difference between contact solution and saline solution? I've always just used saline because that's what my friends mom who wears contacts on a daily basis told me to use. I'm going to buy those 'Blink' eyedrops on Monday most likely and see if that helps the situation any...

I've looked online for step-by-step instructions and I'm doing everything right... maybe I'm just using bad products?
Saline solution is just a fancy name for sterile salt water (mild salt) so it's more like tears. Contact solution is a cleaning agent for contacts that has other chemicals in it. So you can clean and soak the contacts in contact solution when not wearing them, and then rinse with saline solution when you're about to put them in. Sometimes I'll put a drop of Blink in mine before putting them in (because I use one days I don't use any solution). Sometimes other contact solutions can help with lubrication, keeping them wet, etc. but they're not necessary.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2010, 07:59:55 am »
I have been wearing contacts for around 14 years now I think. From all the posts I've read, it sounds like you might have gotten a poorly made set of contacts. If you are making sure they are properly cleaned, you hands are clean & free of debris, the contacts are right-side out, you order the right size recommended by your eye doctor, & your using blink or another product to help moisten...then that is more than likely the issue. I have had FX lenses that no matter what I did, they were always VERY un-comfortable for me. I also had this issue with other types of contacts that were doctor prescribed (Day & Nights lenses are HORRIBLE! :P). Everyones eyes are different & you will run into lenses that just don't work for you.

Before you get discouraged though, go through all the steps again & try switching to a different brand of solution. I've found that there are certain brands that don't seem to get the job done right for me. After all that I have tried, here is one that I have stuck with for years & has served me well. You also might look into a protien remover drop or enzyme tablets to keep lenses cleaner & more comfortable to wear over longer use...however I doubt you have too much protien build-up up brand new lenses lol.

Hope you get this figured out though...nothing worse than spending money on something you can't use :( GL!

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2010, 10:52:39 am »
Okay I feel like an idiot... so should I be keeping the contacts in actual contact solution when in the case and THEN pouring some saline solution over them before I put them in?

If this is the case then I'm going to be really frustrated because that means my friends mom totally taught me the wrong way. =/

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2010, 11:47:56 am »
Okay I feel like an idiot... so should I be keeping the contacts in actual contact solution when in the case and THEN pouring some saline solution over them before I put them in?

If this is the case then I'm going to be really frustrated because that means my friends mom totally taught me the wrong way. =/
Well, sometimes contact solution (not saline) can make your eyes burn (chemicals), but it all depends on the solution and your eyes. I would rinse them with saline just to be safe, and use a lubricating drop before putting them in and throughout the day. If you feel like your contacts get clean with just saline then there's really no need to rinse, just change the saline everyday.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2010, 12:09:50 pm »
You also could have gotten something on the contacts that won't wash out.
This happened to me a few weeks ago when I get a new prescription for my contacts.
I was at the boat races and it was really hot and sunny so, duh, I was sweating. I had put on sun screen and the sweat made the sun screen run into my eyes. My eyes were burning and I had to go to First aid where the lady took a huge syringe (no needle in it) and filled it with saline and emptied the whole thing into one eye, then the other, and then did it again. Of course this was after I took the contacts out. I had to toss the contacts and get a new pair because there was a risk they could still hurt my eyes.

Before all this I tried to use eye drops and it only made the burning worse because it just moved around the sun screen in my eyes.

So I would suggest a whole new set of contacts...

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2010, 12:10:54 pm »

it's okay, I've been doing the same thing. I've only worn contacts a few times so I just dealt with it for about 10 minutes until it would go away once my tears washed out all the contact solution. I didn't know about Saline solution, definitely gonna use that next time.

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2010, 12:23:49 pm »
You also could have gotten something on the contacts that won't wash out.
This happened to me a few weeks ago when I get a new prescription for my contacts.
I was at the boat races and it was really hot and sunny so, duh, I was sweating. I had put on sun screen and the sweat made the sun screen run into my eyes. My eyes were burning and I had to go to First aid where the lady took a huge syringe (no needle in it) and filled it with saline and emptied the whole thing into one eye, then the other, and then did it again. Of course this was after I took the contacts out. I had to toss the contacts and get a new pair because there was a risk they could still hurt my eyes.

Before all this I tried to use eye drops and it only made the burning worse because it just moved around the sun screen in my eyes.

So I would suggest a whole new set of contacts...
I've gotten waterproof mascara on my contact before, and that **** NEVER washes out. I don't know if she'll want to buy brand new contacts, especially because costume contacts are like, $40 per pair. XP If they were more of a natural color she could go with Acuvue colors. They come in non-prescription and prescription, and they're like $50 for THREE PAIRS that last 2 weeks each on 1-800 Contacts.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2010, 02:35:14 pm »
it's okay, I've been doing the same thing. I've only worn contacts a few times so I just dealt with it for about 10 minutes until it would go away once my tears washed out all the contact solution. I didn't know about Saline solution, definitely gonna use that next time.

Yeah, I think part of the problem is simply that my eyes are overly sensitive.... I'm out of classes now so I'm going to go to the store and buy some eyedrops and just spend the next week trying on the contacts for periods of time t osee if that can get my eyes adjusted to the conacts.

I've only worn them a few times, just in the bathroom, and without any make-up on so it doesn't seem like there should be anything foreign stuck to the lens that could have ruined it.

I'm beginning to think more and more that the problem isn't with the contacts but with me... I mean even my old pair that I used at Sakuracon irritated my eyes pretty bad but I just ignored it. XD

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 07:03:26 am »
I would use some sort of storing solution for when you aren't wearing them...but always rinse/clean them before you put them in.

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 10:55:37 am »
Oh definently, I keep them in a saline solution when their not being worn and change the solution every day to keep it fresh.

I talked to one of my coworkers this weekend who wears contacts and we kind of decided that the problem is likely that my eyes are extremely sensitive to solution, so if I start using eyedrops it should cut down on the burn a lot. If I start wearing them around to get used to them it shouldn't be a problem either.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 11:02:55 am »
Just carry a contact case & a travel size cleaning solution with you that way you can take them out to let your eyes rest if they get irritated. I know for new contact wearers, a lot of eye doctors recommend starting out with 1 hour the first day, 2 the next, 3 the next, etc...to help your eyes get used to wearing them. If it works that way for you, you could be ready to wear them most of the day at con. :D

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 12:12:28 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys!!!

I went to the store and bought some 'Blink' eye drops and after using them was able to keep my contacts in for over 2 hours with only a little bit of irritation (was even able to drive with them in and shop.)

Tomorrow I'll try to keep them on for 3 hours or so, and work my way up like Cyprus suggested so I'm good to go by K'Con. =]

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 12:17:29 pm »
So glad we could help you out! Sounds like you will be all set by K-con :D

Offline Dubaby

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay.com account
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 12:20:10 pm »

My victory face....

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 12:22:52 pm »
Mine...

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 08:11:08 pm »
Thanks for all the help guys!!!

I went to the store and bought some 'Blink' eye drops and after using them was able to keep my contacts in for over 2 hours with only a little bit of irritation (was even able to drive with them in and shop.)

Tomorrow I'll try to keep them on for 3 hours or so, and work my way up like Cyprus suggested so I'm good to go by K'Con. =]
Woot woot! Blink is amazing <3
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)