Author Topic: Events taking place in portland during Kumoricon.  (Read 2612 times)

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Events taking place in portland during Kumoricon.
« on: August 25, 2010, 12:52:04 am »
       I just wanted to list a few fun things that people can go do while they are at the convention. I'm making a list for everyone, whether you are from out of town just here for the con, or live in and around portland.  Here are some events taking place around Kumoricon when you want to take a break from the convention and get some fresh air.  

At Pioneer Courthouse Square and Director Park there is going to be some sort of "Lego Games Tour," I think this is to show off one of their new games and their legos in general.  If you go two blocks north of the Hilton you will run right into the square,  while the park is two blocks west from taylor street located next to the hotel.  This event is running from the 3rd until the 5th at Pioneer Square, and on the 6th it is moving over to Director Park for the final day.  Hours are 9am-5pm.

"Art in the Pearl" is an up beat fair with all types of art.  It features music, painting, crafts, and much more to enjoy for anyone who likes or loves art.  From the website: "Art In The Pearl, is located in the Northwest Park blocks, between W Burnside and NW Glisan at NW 8th Ave in Portland, Oregon.  Hours are 10am to 6pm Saturday and Sunday, 10am to 5pm on Monday."  Just go 2 blocks west of the Hilton hotel to 8th and then go north 7 or so blocks.  You will hit the green space next to burnside where all of this is happening.
http://www.artinthepearl.com/index.php

Along with the art, you might want to check out the Portland Saturday Market which goes on every weekend until december.  There is a lot of stuff to see and buy, including a good sized food quart filled with lots of yummy stuff.  If you walk east until you hit the waterfront park, then go about 8 blocks north along the river you will walk right into the market around Ankeny St.  The saturday market is Saturdays 10am-5pm and Sundays 11am-4:30pm.
http://www.portlandsaturdaymarket.com/

For anyone who is 21 that will be in portland friday night or who wants something to do before the convention the Kumoricon 2010 Official Pre-Party is going on.  That's right, friday night there is going to be a pre con party hosted by Disko Warp over at Ground Kontrol.  This is an arcade bar with music playing for everyone to enjoy, nifty huh?  Ground Kontrol is located on Couch st. between 5th and 6th, about 9 blocks north of the Hilton.  Its free to get in and goes from 9pm to 2:30am, I believe it says.  All the info from here and more can be found on the Kcon website below.
http://www.kumoricon.org/calendar?kcmonth=9&kcyear=2010&kcday=3

Mini list of things to see:
  Pioneer Place Mall, one block east of the Hilton on 5th st. between Taylor and Morrison st.

Those are the main, big or unusual, events that are happening around the weekend Kumoricon is taking place.  If anyone has any more to add to the list, or corrections they want to point out, feel free to let me know.  I'll keep the main thread up to date.  I hope everyone enjoys Kumoricon, and everything Portland has to offer.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:26:21 am by camname21 »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
Re: Events taking place in portland during Kumoricon.
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2010, 10:09:32 pm »
Oh, I forgot about the Lego event!  That'd be cool to attend!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 09:47:45 am »
For clarification.. according to their website, the Lego event is at Pioneer Courthouse Square Sept 3-5, and Director's Park Sept 6.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 11:15:46 am »
Thanks for the info. The only thing about it on their website I found was with a bunch of really old posts.  Not a fan of their website.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 11:22:26 am by camname21 »

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 12:34:27 pm »
Oh, well that's good to know, not just for those who'd possibly like to attend, but also for other congoers interested in photo shoots and other what-nots.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 06:42:12 pm »
Yep, anyone who had something for director park should be able to still do it, unless it is on the 6th.