Author Topic: AMV Panel for 2010  (Read 5671 times)

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
AMV Panel for 2010
« on: May 03, 2010, 11:13:44 pm »
TCL and I have been toying with the idea of hosting an AMV panel this year. I know that a few other editors will be helping out if we do this but I would like to know how many others would be down to helping us out and how many of the fans (if you're watching this part of the forums) would like to see it.

My general idea is to have it be more of a "This is how we do it," kind of panel rather than an hour or two of random questions (don't get me wrong, we will still answer random questions) I would love to shoot for the AMV room (if Guy would relinquish command for a while) so we havd a computer and projector to show stuff so there's context to what we're talking about.

So who's in, and if you got any other ideas lets hear them.

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
Re: AMV Panel for 2010
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 11:54:32 pm »
I think those all sound like lovely ideas! I will probably already have my computer on me for Iron Chef and I'm pretty good at hooking it up to projectors so I know that I could give a brief run-through of my set-up if that would be helpful (and I can be ready to do so on the fly so we don't have to decide ahead of time if we want me to do so or not). I also have a bunch of little pointers, mostly stuff that I didn't figure out until I did four or five videos and wish someone would've told me when I first got started.

From what I remember of the audience reaction at the AMV Panel at Sakuracon I'd say the majority of people were there for insight into making AMVs, whether they were creators (like me XD) or otherwise. So I definitely think this would be a good direction for the panel! :) Oh, and don't panic if we don't get much response here, the AMV section is kind of out of the way for most forum-goers and in my experience the vast majority of convention-goers aren't even on the forums.

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 06:27:16 am »
Quote from: somanyturtles
I would love to shoot for the AMV room (if Guy would relinquish command for a while)
"YOU HAVE THE CON"

I have been working with Programming to open up two or three 2-hour blocks in the AMV screening room for exactly this type of exposition.

One slot will be on or after 10PM in case somebody wants to say 'anything goes.' However, to do that, the studio folks would have to take a moment and sweep the room for under 18's (I did that) but also CLOSE THE HALLWAY DOOR (I forgot to do that and got a comment-slapping about it. Gomen!)

Stay tuned - this thread would be the perfect venue to post the timeslot people have and who's gonna be on when.

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 12:07:52 pm »
I will probably already have my computer on me for Iron Chef...

I was totally relying on the fact that either You, me, Roll, or Thunder Kitty would have have a computer that we could hook up for this. One of the things that Vlad did at one point in the Sakuracon AMV Room programing was he showed one of his videos and then opened up After Effects to show the technical stuff. To me it looked like it held the audiences attention better when they could see everything on screen instead of saying, "Oh that's a mask," and moving on.

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 04:11:42 pm »
Wow, I really wish I could've been there for that actually, AE is something that I've never been able to integrate into my AMVs; I just keep getting better at AP but AE is really hard to sync stuff with and I am unsure how to use them in tandem, although I've played with a little specifically for rotoscoping.

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:09:48 am »
I know I'd be interested in attending something like this (don't know if I'll have the time for it unfortunately), since I like to see how other people do things. My close friends that make AMVs have only ever had a budget for free software, ie WMM. So I haven't ever had the chance to borrow ideas or learn from what they know. I'm a decent self teacher, but I tend to teach myself strange things in an odd way, so other input or methods are always interesting.

If there isn't a spot in the AMV room that works, maybe you could run it in the CS...I might re-direct you to the Art co-Coordinators and Ellen in that case, but I do believe they'll need some more art prog since we are always writing panel heavy. We will have a projector in one of our rooms, and the day time slots would be more open.

Just a thought.

~ Kate
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2010, 11:59:29 pm »
I'd love to help out in any way, be it technical services or discussion regarding editing theories or AMV banter.

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2010, 02:01:01 pm »
I don't know if you've seen the schedule but I did get the all clear to run the AMV creators panel. It is set for Saturday at noon on Sunday and we'd like to invite editors of any caliber to help us with the panel. I requisitioned a projector and sound so we'll be able to show actual aspects of the editing process rather then just talking about them so feel free to bring down a computer or a hard drive and we can keep swapping things in and out as much as we need to. If you're interested in joining us give a little post and we'll be sure to have a seat for you.

Offline thundercatlord

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2010, 07:48:23 am »
Just bumping this up and repeating somanyturtles post, we need a head count of who will be able to join us on the panel. So far we have:

1) myself
2) somanyturtles
3) ?
4) ?
5) ?
6) ?

so who else are we looking at joining? Rollthestampede? Pierowmaniac? murder of raven? Guy?

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2010, 03:56:12 pm »
murder of raven?

I have already confirmed :)

Offline Andrew1716

• Oni
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2010, 09:04:17 pm »
I'll totally be there. I've never made any amvs before, but would love to learn how, and maybe eventually submit one or two for the amv contest.