Author Topic: Initial comments & info on AMV's Received  (Read 5703 times)

Anonymous

Initial comments & info on AMV's Received
« on: July 29, 2005, 10:57:26 pm »
Hey, everybody! I've just finished testing the AMV submissions, and just about all of them are ready-to-roll as received. A few stragglers have contacted me off-line about re-submitting vids as we work through stuff like codec issues, etc ... Several entrants didn't include 10-second review clips, some have incomplete contact information, some didn't say what category. Three didn't fit in any defined category, and one BARELY passes the indecent exposure definition (not my idea, we just have to run a PG-13 show...MPAA guidelines...) Anyways, those have been the ONLY bumps in the road, and THAT's why I have a nice panel of volunteers to sort things out impartially....

Gripes away - now onto the EXCITEMENT: This looks like it will be an AWESOME show!

Total number of submissions: 30 (including those not yet
placed in a category)

ACTION - 6
TRADITIONAL JAPANESE - 5
DANCE - 2
INSTRUMENTAL - 7
COMEDY/PARODY - 6

Alphabetical by Anime Series
(excluding 'Various' compiled of more than 3 series,
or short clips dropped into a work 'mostly' of one other series.
A couple of these I had not heard of...)

Angel Tales [1]
The Animatrix [1]
Azumanga Daioh! [1]
Blame! [1]
Bleach [1]
Crest/Banner of the Stars [1]
Cowboy Bebop [1]
Dragon Half [1]
Full Metal Alchemist [1]
Gankutsuou de Monte Christo [1]
Gundam Wing [1]
GunGrave [1]
.Hack//sign [1]
The Hakkenden [1]
Kai Doh maru [1]
Koi Kaze [1]
Madlax [1]
Mai HiME [1]
Millenium Actress [1]
Now & Then, Here & There [1]
Noir [1]
Onegai Sensei [1]
Paranoia Agent [2]
Peacemaker Kurogane [1]
Portrait of Petite Cossette [1]
Read or Die (TV) [1]
Resident Evil II [1]
Ruroni Kenshin / Samurai X [1]
Shamanic Princess [1]
Spirited Away [1]
Suikoden [1]
Trigun [2]

Many projects are of excellent video quality - no matter how the judges slice it I really feel this event is gonna ROCK! I also feel good about how the entries come from a well balanced and diverse selection of shows - there's no monolithic BLOCK of any one genre or series. As a whole list, nothing seems mech-heavy, or katana-heavy, or high-school heavy either.

In the USA, we have entries from Oregon, Washington, Colorado, and a couple of eastern states (There goes that incomplete contact info again...) Submissions also came in from Canada, France, Finland, Germany, and an ex-pat American living in Japan.

Lastly, I want EVERY entrant to know how much I thank you - you guys are the ones that make all this fun possible...

GREAT JOB EVERYBODY!!!

- G.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2005, 01:42:09 pm »
incredibly impressive!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2005, 10:08:16 am »
Wow, lots of videos this year.
I'll bring the popcorn. :P

I'm looking forward to the Paranoia Agent videos. *thumbs up*

Anonymous

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2005, 01:49:18 am »
it's all about onegai sensei, that one has got to be impressive.  As well as bleach, cus bleach rulz

Anonymous

All about?
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2005, 01:06:05 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
it's all about onegai sensei, that one has got to be impressive.  As well as bleach, cus bleach rulz

Gotta watch and see, and "your mileage may vary." You can take an otherwise hum-drum anime series and make  a ROKKR of AMV out of it, but you can also take a darn good anime series and LAME-ify it royally.

It's all in how the music and the scenes get spun together!

Anonymous

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2005, 04:41:54 pm »
I'm just a big Mizuho fan :)

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2005, 06:05:58 am »
Coordinator comments:

Although I cannot discuss specifics, and the judges' panel convenes this weekend, I do remember we showed about 11 AMV's last year. Of those, I kept two to burn onto personal DVD's.

This year, we got over 30 and I'm gonna keep about 14 to burn after it's over.

Then we plan for 2006, right?!?

- G

PS: Currently I'm watching MAR, Elementar Gerad, Basilisk, Big-O (old - 1999!) Bleach and HaruToki**. Gonna start Sousei no Aquarion, Emma, Shuffle, Wolf's Rain, and check out Suzuka soon. Currently I'm not watching any flavor of Gundam, Lupin, DBZ, Naruto, or any of Miyazaki's latest. Good AMV material in all of these, though.

** Full title: "Harukanaru Toki no nada de Hachiyousho." Or something like that.

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Re: All about?
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2005, 01:39:57 pm »
Quote from: "Anonymous"
You can take an otherwise hum-drum anime series and make  a ROKKR of AMV out of it

If that's the case I can't wait to start on my MD Geist video :P

dmstudios3

Dragon Half AMV
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2005, 11:49:03 pm »
I made the Dragon Half AMV.  I think I wanted it to be in the New Dance category, but you can put it into whatever category you deem to be necessary. Thanx

D-Man

Anonymous

Re: Dragon Half AMV
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2005, 09:58:53 pm »
Quote from: "dmstudios3"
I made the Dragon Half AMV.  I think I wanted it to be in the New Dance category, but you can put it into whatever category you deem to be necessary.
Congrats and thanks for your submission. [And good to hear from you again!] I am just replying to let you know, and make sure it is understood that decisions to (a) reclassify an entry and run it in a different category than the one preferred by the submittor, (b) select a category for an entry if its creator had not made this clear, or (c) tweak a category definition let in a peripheral work - all are up to the panel judges, not me.

- G