Author Topic: Advanced Costuming Panels 2010  (Read 2426 times)

Offline Hoshikage

• Cabbit
Advanced Costuming Panels 2010
« on: August 19, 2010, 12:50:28 pm »
Hello again,

I'm back this year for more costuming panels. There will be one on props & accessories (wings, armor, jewelry, light-up pieces, basically anything that doesn't involve sewing) and a sewing-specific panel (how to modify pattern pieces or draft your own, tips on fitting, working with weird fabrics, etc). So as before, I'm asking for suggestions on what to bring for demo purposes. :) I can't bring anything too large or awkward, and I can't do really in-depth demonstrations (like resin casting) because there won't be time, but I can try to bring pieces that people will be interested in seeing in person. Usually I bring things like samples of Wonderflex, corset boning, LEDs and/or electroluminescent wire, and other useful materials; a back plate to illustrate how you can have wings without shoulder straps; and a mockup garment of some sort to illustrate fitting techniques on a brave audience volunteer. ;)

Please feel free to make suggestions, and if I have anything applicable that I can lug to the con I will try and make sure to do so!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: Advanced Costuming Panels 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2010, 01:05:49 pm »
That's very cool. I honestly had no idea these panels were out there (I don't really get out of Creation Station much). If you get a chance, hop by Creation Station & meet Kimmi, who is giving our millinery panel ("The Glad Hatter", 5:30 pm Saturday, Directors suite) & our panel on steampunk/Dickens-era cosplay ("How to Hustle Your Bustle" 8 pm Sunday, Directors suite). She's giving a workshop on making corset boning in our Creation Station at Orycon. If you're involved in Orycon, maybe we could connect you.

Moreover, Andi from Cosplay, and Shelley from Creation Station, are offering another panel somewhat related to your topic. It's "Pattern-Making Software and Cosplay", held at 11 am Saturday in the Creation Station Panel Room (i.e., the Directors Suite, 3rd floor, Hilton side).
Here is its event description:
"How often do cosplayers search for a commercial pattern, only to find it is out-of-print, the wrong size, or simply doesn't exist? Wouldn't it be nice to choose from various pattern elements to create a custom-fit pattern from your home computer, instead? In this panel, we will show the methods to achieve great fit and drafting, using the automatic and manual features of one of today's most versatile pattern-making software programs."

Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline EasilyAmewsed

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2010, 05:39:37 pm »
As one half of the Pattern Software panel, I'd love to chat with you. I will be at the Kumoricon general meet this Sunday at the hotel if you happen to be going.
All the suggestions you listed sound interesting to me already. I'm not sure what time your panel is offhand, but I hope it's something I can catch. So many things to see..so little time! Oh, I am interested in the harnessing for wings for props.
I am glad that traditional pattern making will be offered as many people will prefer traditional methods and will be dealing with purchased patterns. I think this will compliment our software panel quite nicely. :)
Shelley

Offline Hoshikage

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2010, 10:30:38 pm »
Argh, I really wanted to get to that panel, but I promised my friend I'd help her out with the Asian Ball-Joint Dolls panel which is at the same time!  :'( Well, maybe next year I guess... In the meantime, I did plan on covering drafting the old-fashioned way, and concentrating a bit more on modifying existing patterns since that's usually a good skill to start with.

Re: Orycon - I've only been once, several years ago, so I don't know much about what goes on there; I'll try to make it to the Creation Station at some point though to say hi and maybe ask about corset boning or somesuch. :)

As for the general meet, I probably won't make it... I, uh, expect I'll still be frantically working on my costume for the Cosplay Contest at that point. I ran into some unexpected delays and finishing on time is going to be pretty tough. ^^;;

I do hope to see you guys at some point during the con though, either at panels or the Creation Station. :)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 08:37:40 am »
You'll be seeing me at various points during the convention, and I'll be happy to give you a personal demo & let you play with my pattern software. Once you see it working, you'll want your own verison. Oh, and they're coming out with a new version (due sometime October/November) which has LOTS more to it than the current version.  :) I'll have screenshots from new version so you can see some of the cool new things in it. The software makes it so much faster and more accurate to produce a pattern.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2010, 01:34:48 pm »
Re: Orycon - I've only been once, several years ago, so I don't know much about what goes on there; I'll try to make it to the Creation Station at some point though to say hi and maybe ask about corset boning or somesuch. :)

I do hope to see you guys at some point during the con though, either at panels or the Creation Station. :)

Great! See you then.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).