Author Topic: what is with the dance and closing ceremony?  (Read 6024 times)

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
what is with the dance and closing ceremony?
« on: August 16, 2010, 08:29:06 pm »
So I see that the closing ceremony is going to be ticketed, I don't know if it was last year or not, but this doesn't seem like a good idea.  There are only three things listed so far that will be going on during closing, if there are more events that are big enough to draw people in that's cool.  The listed events so far however, do not seem anything most people would care to see if it was ticketed.  Will there be other things that might make it worth wild to go see?  Most closing ceremonies I've seen were a wind down and cap stone of the con.  They were something you wanted to see because they meant the convention was over and you complete the visit.  To have to pay for that just seems so.. wrong.

I also notice the dance says guys need a tie to get in, are you trying to make this a girl only event?  When I was the age most the guys are, that will be going to the con, I and all my friends hated ties, I bet most guys dislike ties regardless of their age.  To make that a requirement is fairly rude to any males who are not in a cosplay.  Ya you want this to be formal-ish, but a button up shirt should be enough. 

These were just two things I noticed looking at the rules part of the main website.  I probably wont make a difference for the closing ceremony, but I hope this gets someone's attention who can attempt to change or at least discuss the issue of the dance.  Thanks.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
Re: what is with the dance and closing ceremony?
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2010, 08:30:55 pm »
By dance do you mean the formal dance? cause if you are speaking of the late night "rave" then that is quite an odd rule. If you are speaking of the Formal dance well...it's formal. Plus there has been issues with the dress code before but at least a tie sounds clear cut enough- if they dont like it, buy a clip on- it helps!

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2010, 08:46:03 pm »
No I'm talking about the formal dance, which is semi-formal actually.  The rules in the past for dances were problems for this same reason this will be.  They required something that was out of the ordinary, or people didn't look up the rules before hand and didn't have what they needed at the door (mostly the second option, because if they had they would bring it).  Guys will not have a tie, period.  I never went to any semi-formal dances that required a tie, button up shirt however, yes. 

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2010, 08:48:43 pm »
If you have a major problem with this- please do bring it up with the programming director or whoever is running this particular event. I BELIEVE this is atendee ran this year as well frankly- this is the last chance these Semi-formal/formal/whatever dances get at Kcon before they get the Ax. We have had quite a few problems relating to dress code and if you feel this one is going to be the nail in the coffin for this- please bring it up right away with someone (you know...besides the forums)

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2010, 09:13:41 pm »
Guess I might have better luck talking to the club running it then the staff.  Easier to change stuff then wait for a committee to decide.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2010, 09:21:51 pm »
By the way the only ticketed event that cost money is the sake tasting. Everything else is free you just need to get a ticket at a booth before hand to make sure they don't over fill the room. You don't have to pay to see the AMV contest, Cosplay contest, and closing ceremonies.

As far as dances, I always remembered them being tie for men.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2010, 09:31:58 pm »
I've never heard of a semi-formal that makes you wear a tie.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2010, 09:50:30 pm »
*looks up clip on ties on google* they range 10-20 bucks dependsin on how much you want to spend and how nice you want to look.

FINALLY! A tie I can wear! I cant tie a tie to save my life!
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2010, 10:19:07 pm »
The problem is the same as before, as mentioned above.  And seeing how this is a new rule (I think it is?, don't remember it last year,) even less guys are going to look it up on the website before they come, and know to have a tie.  
« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 10:19:37 pm by camname21 »

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2010, 10:44:21 pm »
The formality of the Masquerade Ball (which is what the Formal Ball is replacing) is a standing tradition. The reason being is this is supposed to be a CLASSY event, the Host Club has gone out of their way to fight to make this event happen with elegance and prestige, despite the Programming staff warning them that it is a HUGE undertaking and that many people will revolt on the dress code.

The dress code is about looking the part of the situation. This is supposed to be a ball not a "dance". It is meant to have that air of the Ouran Academy's ball, put on by the Host Club to it. That means things like slow dances and foxtrot and waltz (assuming those hosts known any of those forms of dance, or something similar if not)

I am neither for nor against the Ball and I am also neutral on a dress code. But I can see why something like a Ball might want to require a little more effort from its attendees.

Besides, I think if good natured anime boys want to meet good natured anime girls and dance with them in a beautiful ball, they might bite the bullet and put on something so horrible as a tie. Young men have been doing it for years you know.
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2010, 11:48:04 pm »
I have a question regarding this. I thought the reason it got made into a semi-formal ball was because we (the people wanting to bring this back) wanted to get rid of the need of something, like a mask (hence the dropping of it being a masquerade) so more people would go. The tie is kind of like the mask?

That being said, you can get ties at goodwill and value village for as little as $1 (I know, I bought mine for my Ouran Host uniform at Goodwill) But at the same time, it's still a 'thing' needed to get in. Though I suppose, someone could just wear their cosplay in then?

And yeah, tickets don't mean you have to pay separately to get in. They are just so they can make sure they don't over stuff the rooms and follow the fire codes.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2010, 11:51:21 pm by kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2010, 11:55:56 pm »
By the way the only ticketed event that cost money is the sake tasting.
Ah it seems I didn't notice only one had an actual number by it.  Though I could have assumed it was the only one priced so far if I had seen it.  Thanks

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2010, 03:29:24 am »
To have to pay for that just seems so.. wrong.

"Ticketed" does not mean pay money. It means we expect demand to exceed capacity, so we move the "line" so to speak to the info desk, rather than outside the room. Pay events will be noted with words like "pay", "money", "fee", and "dollars".

So I see that the closing ceremony is going to be ticketed, I don't know if it was last year or not, but this doesn't seem like a good idea.  There are only three things listed so far that will be going on during closing,

That's why it's ticketed.

The timeless attendee complaint (for smaller conventions, at smaller venues) goes "Why did you schedule cosplay, AMVs, and the dance all at the same time? Did you realize what you did?" And the director gleefully stands up, laughs maniacally, and responds with the timeless answer "We didn't just realize it. We did it on purpose." Only a fixed number of people will fit in any room, that number often doesn't accommodate the demand, and nothing can be done to increase that. Counter-programming is one technique to handle such demand.

Ticketing is another. It's just one of the many factors that goes into planning.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 05:01:15 am »
Can I be that maniacal Director? Sounds like fun! If Jaki Doesn't mind of course...

Any way you squeeze it... there are going to be regulations for a semi-formal dance... you have to draw
a line somewhere... if it wasn't ties but instead button shirts. wouldn't boys be asking if they could wear a
"nice t-shirt"? And if it was nice "T-shirts" wouldn't they ask if they could wear Jeans? See the problem?When
you make a dress code, some people are going to disagree... but you gotta draw the line somewhere... this is
where it was drawn...  And for this year, we just have to all live with it... but I'll wear a tie and skirt to the dance
if'n ya'll feel it'll make us square...  :P    ;D

And yeah, tickets for main events and big draws like Closing Ceremonies are just... necessary... think about all the
people who waited in line for Closing last year, and didn't get in, and missed the opportunity to go do something
else
on the off chance they got in. THAT sucks. Having it a ticketed event makes the situation not as... unpredictable.
Either you got a ticket, or you don't... and thats all she wrote.

Maybe if we get a bigger boat this ship'll carry more seaworthy gents and ladies....

But we'll just have to see what the winds brought us...

Wont we?

.....foreshadowing....
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 02:59:55 pm »

Any way you squeeze it... there are going to be regulations for a semi-formal dance... you have to draw
a line somewhere... if it wasn't ties but instead button shirts. wouldn't boys be asking if they could wear a
"nice t-shirt"? And if it was nice "T-shirts" wouldn't they ask if they could wear Jeans? See the problem?When
you make a dress code, some people are going to disagree... but you gotta draw the line somewhere... this is
where it was drawn...  And for this year, we just have to all live with it... but I'll wear a tie and skirt to the dance

true

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2010, 05:39:30 pm »
Can I be that maniacal Director? Sounds like fun! If Jaki Doesn't mind of course...

And yeah, tickets for main events and big draws like Closing Ceremonies are just... necessary... think about all the
people who waited in line for Closing last year, and didn't get in, and missed the opportunity to go do something
else
on the off chance they got in. THAT sucks. Having it a ticketed event makes the situation not as... unpredictable.
Either you got a ticket, or you don't... and thats all she wrote.

Maybe if we get a bigger boat this ship'll carry more seaworthy gents and ladies....

But we'll just have to see what the winds brought us...

Wont we?

.....foreshadowing....

This makes me want to go now. Seriously, I'm glad I saw this thread because I was about to send in my schedule to my manager, and I think I'll add this in. (^_^)

I hate the idea of people feeling excluded, but if this is an event where they're trying THIS hard to make it work and have a... well, you know.... formal, in-character Ouran atmosphere, then I'm interested to see what it'll be like. And I'll pass on the word to other people I know who love Ouran.

Not to mention that it'd be fun to see AllyKat in a skirt and a tie. (^_~)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2010, 06:07:53 pm »
Or maybe I'll dress like a Lobelia school girl...

Ugh... no... Not another cosplay... *sigh*

I'll stick with the tie and skirt then... And I will be there, somehow some way!
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2010, 10:56:00 pm »
I'll stick with the tie and skirt then... And I will be there, somehow some way!
Just tell anyone who asks that you are checking up on capacity :D

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 01:19:47 am »
Hurray, yes come! I will be one of the many hosts there to serve and dance with you!  :D

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2010, 09:40:17 am »
We ticket things in the main events room because we literally can only have as many people in there as the hotel puts chairs in.
For example 750 chairs=750 tickets=750 people max in that room.

The Formal dances have always been a headache, some people want a serious formal dance, then people complain about having to dress up, people come in just formal enough and the serious people complain about the people not dressed fancy enough, see the problem?
 But we should be having dance every night with no real dress code(as long as your covered appropriately) you don't want to wear a tie, go to that one instead.
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Sakurakisser

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2010, 01:44:31 am »
oh as for ties they have those bow ties at urbanoutfitters that look pretty snazzy and easy to wear..if that counts as a tie..
"Be what you would seem to be or, if you'd like it put more simply. Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared"

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2010, 03:36:19 am »
they do indeed count as a tie... and as a plus;

"bowties are cool"
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline devyrae

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2010, 04:36:07 am »
I had a question about the dress code for the formal dance..its probably a silly question, but if your a girl but your..i guess you would say 'crossplaying' as long as you have nice clothes and a tie its still okay right?
Kumoricon 13 plans:
Ari -Okage Shadow King
Axel -Kingdom Hearts
Ash -Pokemon
Nick -L4D2

https://www.facebook.com/Need4Things
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Devysisk-Modeling-Page/496336850429477

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2010, 08:10:58 am »
As long as you look nice, I am sure a lot of ladies'll be crossplaying this event... but i'd verify with one of the event holders to make sure.
2009 - Attendee
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Mister_manji

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2010, 09:57:04 am »
Honestly, if you are sixteen years old or older and male, you should already have a tie. It may not be a tie that matches what you will be wearing. If you don't, ask your parents to buy one for you for "job interviews." Moms especially like that one.
K-Con attendee 2004, 2006
2007 Programming Staff
2008 Programming Staff
2009 Special Events Manager
2010 Assistant Director of Operations
2011 Assistant Director of Operations

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #25 on: August 20, 2010, 01:16:46 pm »
Honestly, if you are sixteen years old or older and male, you should already have a tie. It may not be a tie that matches what you will be wearing. If you don't, ask your parents to buy one for you for "job interviews." Moms especially like that one.

I agree!
At a certain age, every guy should have a suit (at least a tie and button up shirt) and every girl should have a nice dress!!

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #26 on: August 20, 2010, 06:26:19 pm »

I agree!
At a certain age, every guy should have a suit (at least a tie and button up shirt) and every girl should have a nice dress!!

Or if you're an anime character, the other way around?
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #27 on: August 20, 2010, 06:37:58 pm »
I had a question about the dress code for the formal dance..its probably a silly question, but if your a girl but your..i guess you would say 'crossplaying' as long as you have nice clothes and a tie its still okay right?

At all formal dances that Kumoricon has hosted so far, of which I am aware, crossplaying is allowed. Rules which have specified clothing requirements by gender apply to the gender you are dressing as, regardless of your actual physical sex. So I imagine it would be the same here.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline devyrae

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2010, 12:14:01 am »

At all formal dances that Kumoricon has hosted so far, of which I am aware, crossplaying is allowed. Rules which have specified clothing requirements by gender apply to the gender you are dressing as, regardless of your actual physical sex. So I imagine it would be the same here.

Okay, that answers my question. Thank you :)
Kumoricon 13 plans:
Ari -Okage Shadow King
Axel -Kingdom Hearts
Ash -Pokemon
Nick -L4D2

https://www.facebook.com/Need4Things
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Devysisk-Modeling-Page/496336850429477

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 08:52:02 pm »
The dress code for the Masquerade/Formal/Semi-Formal dance has been debated for the last three years... this has been an ongoing discussion for quite awhile.  And like has been stated before, where do you draw the line?

This is a semi-formal event.. the dress code stands as is.  You have the choice of dressing semi-formal, or dressing in cosplay.  Crossplay is allowed, you just have to dress accordingly to the gender you are crossplaying.

And while yes, this is being hosted by our wonderful volunteer Host Club, it is still an official event, and is subject to the posted dress code.  If you do no meet dress code, you will not be allowed into the event.  This has been the same rule for the last three years, and the dress code is not substantially different than it has been in the past.  It is in the con book, it is on the website, it will be posted at con.  I'm not really sure how much easier/clearer we can make this...

If you do not want to dress semi-formal, then there is another dance each night you can go to.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline ishpumalibu

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: August 29, 2010, 06:43:53 pm »
Yes! I love dressing up.