Author Topic: Martial Arts Demonstrations  (Read 19233 times)

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
Martial Arts Demonstrations
« on: September 11, 2009, 02:40:32 pm »
Just a suggestion for next con.
Every con seems to have a taekwondo demonstration. Thats fine and all, we like to watch kicking and people breaking boards.
But I for one grow tired of taekwondo. Its fine for a sport and all but what Id really like to see is a demonstration done by other martial arts.
-San Soo (Shaolin Kung Fu)
-Pukulan (Praying Mantis Kung Fu)
-Bujinkan (Ninjutsu)
These are real martial arts, less sport. And there are schools all around Portland for many different types.

I know that the tae kwon do demonstration doesnt pull a lot of interest on its own, I was at this years. Why not make a bigger event inviting multiple schools of martial arts to do demonstrations/sparing. I think it would gather a lot more interest and could bring more people from each school into the con.

Who wouldnt want to see a Ninja demonstration, or if you could do it, respectful sparing between Mantis Style and Shaolin Style Kung Fu?

Offline Tobis A Good Boy

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
Re: Martial Arts Demonstrations
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2009, 03:18:04 pm »
I agree, I had gone this year and although I did enjoy it, it was also quite boring and original. So a little more variety would be nice, and maybe you could add in a time where it's actually like a class and you get to learn the steps too?....Because just sitting and watching is boring in itself.
Kumoricon 2011:
Harley - Pokemon
Lobelia Haruhi - Ouran
Lyoko Yumi {First season} - Code Lyoko

Kumoricon 2012:
Secret x3

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2009, 03:27:21 pm »
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 03:47:52 pm by bou12345318 »
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)
Shuichi Shindou (Gravitation EX)

Offline Dealrith

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2009, 12:08:31 pm »
One thing you guys need to remember is panels are not made by the convention but by those people who want them. We as a convention only provide a space, give supplies as needed, and provide safety. If you want to see something more then by all means please bring it. This year's demonstration was the first that we have had to my knowledge and they came to us asking if they could perform. If you want to see more then ask your local martial arts schools if they would like to come and see if they could work together to make a performance that you want. I for one would be more than willing to help facilitate something of the nature.
2014 - 2018 - Quartermaster Staff Manager
2013 - Quartermaster
2012 - Quartermaster
2011 - Quartermaster
2010 - Vice Chair
2009 - Director of Operations
2008 - Yojimbo Floor Manager
2007 - Yojimbo

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2009, 09:33:46 pm »
Hey folks Animeman73 here. If you thought the Taekwondo demonstration was boring I do apologize, it's just I suggested the idea and started the ball rolling in June. I've talked with my school heads and we're planning on doing this again for next year. Though this time we'll have more of a chance to rehearse and really put something together that will blow you away I guarantee it  8)!

Also you should be aware Taekwondo IS a real martial art. And there's a lot of people here in Portland that would agree with me. You're welcome to your opinions but I politely but strongly disagree. Taekwondo is a real martial art and therefore deserves a measure of respect. Granted it's more well known then a l lot of martial arts because there's an Olympic event for it but hey that's just the way it is. If you can find any school in the Portland area that practices Kung-Fu or anything like that feel free to tell them about Kumoricon. But as it stands U.S. West Coast Taekwondo will be returning next year for another show and this time we'll be more prepared.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2009, 08:15:19 am by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2009, 12:23:57 am »
Hey folks Animeman73 here. If you thought the Taekwondo demonstration was boring I do apologize, it's just I suggested the idea and started the ball rolling in June. I've talked with my school heads and we're planning on doing this again for next year. Though this time we'll have more of a chance to rehearse and really put something together that will blow you away I guarantee it  8)!

Also you should be aware Taekwondo IS a real martial art. And there's a lot of people here in Portland that would agree with me. You're welcome to your opinions but I politely but strongly disagree. Taekwondo is a real martial art and therefore deserves a measure of respect. Granted it's more well known then a l lot of martial arts because there's an Olympic event for it but hey that's just the way it is. If you can find any school in the Portland area that practices Kung-Fu or anything like that feel fre to tell them about Kumoricon. But as it stands U.S. West Coast Taekwondo will be returning next year for another show and this time we'll be more prepared.

Boards Dont Hit Back
But seriously the reason I dont consider Taekwondo a martial art is because its become more of a sport now. Like fencing with Foils, its all point based. Its no longer about mental growth and development of ones inner energy, its a collection of techniques and striking for the highest score. If it lacked the point system it would just be fighting techniques, which is ok, but it lacks the depth of a true martial art. Now your school maybe different from all the others, maybe it does teach something deeper than fighting technique, but even if that is the case, taekwondo lacks effective fighting techniques against anything thats not taekwondo.

That being said, I encourage you and your school to return to Kcon next year. I would very much like to eat my words and be proven otherwise, but I have never been impressed by it as a martial art. Not that you need to pander your event towards impressing me, Im just a person in the crowd, but if you do things deeper than how awesome it is to break boards and rehearsed choreography Id love to see it.

Offline MichaelEvans

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2009, 12:37:02 am »
Maybe we should make the event more general.  Allow various (any?) artists that want to demonstrate their skills perform various training demonstrations with equipment/partners from their school.

Obviously for liability reasons we should probably not allow them to fight each other...
---
Staff 2007-2010
2010-2008: Website Development (So very very much in the last month before the convention at last; Good thing I'm looking for work x.x and have the spare time ~.~)
2007: Website Administration (Mascot Voting Input, Live Schedule)

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2009, 08:32:09 am »
MichralEvans: I heartily agree with you. I'd love to see more martial arts at the con and a time slot set aside for all of them. Though it would most certainly be a good idea if they didn't fight each other. Liability costs are nothing to be scoffed at.

Daxe: We do teach mental, physical, and emootional discipline. As a matter of fact U.S. West Coast has had students recommended to them by doctors who diagnosed patients with ADHD (Attention Deficit Hyperactive Disorder). We also teach Hapkido (Self-defense) for use against any type of attack.  And Daxe while I may not agree with you on some things I appreciate your agrguements being so civil and polite it speaks well of you. And for that you have my respect.

Offline Daxe

• Chibi
    • my myspace
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2009, 02:06:19 pm »
Its not in my nature to insult people. I try to be open minded and civil in my disputes. Also its not my intention to convince anyone, merely me presenting my opinions.

Im not suggesting an actual kumate here, but I would really like to see some practical sparring.

Offline Higuma

• Catgirl
    • My anime list
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2009, 02:26:29 pm »
Chinese martial arts, sometimes referred to by the Mandarin Chinese term wushu (traditional Chinese: 武術; simplified Chinese: 武术; pinyin: wǔshù) and popularly as kungfu (Chinese: 功夫 pinyin: gōngfū), consist of a number of fighting styles that were developed over the centuries. Those fighting styles can be classified according to common themes that are identified as "families" (家, jiā), "sects" (派, pai) or "schools" (門, men) of martial arts. Example of themes are physical exercises that mimic movements from animals or a history and training method that gather inspiration from various Chinese philosophies, myths and legends. Some styles focus on the the harnessing of qi and are labeled internal (内家拳), while others concentrate on improving muscle and cardiovascular fitness and are labeled external (外家拳). Geographical association, as in northern (北拳) and southern (南拳), is another popular method of categorization. Each fighting style offers a different approach to the common problems of self-defense, health, and self-cultivation from a Chinese perspective.

Kung fu and wushu are popular terms that have become synonymous with Chinese martial arts. However, the Chinese terms kung fu (Chinese: 功夫 pinyin: gōngfū) and wushu (simplified Chinese: 武术; traditional Chinese: 武術; pinyin: wǔshù  listen (help·info); Cantonese: móuh-seuht) have very different meanings. The Chinese literal equivalent of "Chinese martial art" would be 中國武術 zhōngguó wǔshù.

In Chinese, kung fu can be used in contexts completely unrelated to martial arts, and refers colloquially to any individual accomplishment or skill cultivated through long and hard work.[1] In contrast, wushu is a more precise term for general martial activities.

Wǔshù literally means "martial art". It is formed from the two words 武術: 武 (wǔ), meaning, "martial" or "military", and 術 (shù), which translates into "discipline", "skill" or "method."

The term wushu has also become the name for a modern sport involving the performance of adapted Chinese bare-handed and weapons forms (tàolù 套路) judged to a set of contemporary aesthetic criteria for points.[2]

Lets start doing some research before we put down other peoples styles. In China Kung Fu is also used for sport. I do not have a problem with any style but respect others styles. Any good martial artist knows it is not the style that will choose the winner of a fight but the skill of the practicioner of their style. I have never done kung fu or taekwondo so I am not bias toward one or the other.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2009, 08:44:34 pm »
Posted on: Today at 02:26:29 PMPosted by: Higuma  

Chinese martial arts, sometimes referred to by the Mandarin Chinese term wushu (traditional Chinese: 武術; simplified Chinese: 武术; pinyin: wǔshù) and popularly as kungfu (Chinese: 功夫 pinyin: gōngfū), consist of a number of fighting styles that were developed over the centuries. Those fighting styles can be classified according to common themes that are identified as "families" (家, jiā), "sects" (派, pai) or "schools" (門, men) of martial arts. Example of themes are physical exercises that mimic movements from animals or a history and training method that gather inspiration from various Chinese philosophies, myths and legends. Some styles focus on the the harnessing of qi and are labeled internal (内家拳), while others concentrate on improving muscle and cardiovascular fitness and are labeled external (外家拳). Geographical association, as in northern (北拳) and southern (南拳), is another popular method of categorization. Each fighting style offers a different approach to the common problems of self-defense, health, and self-cultivation from a Chinese perspective.

Kung fu and wushu are popular terms that have become synonymous with Chinese martial arts. However, the Chinese terms kung fu (Chinese: 功夫 pinyin: gōngfū) and wushu (simplified Chinese: 武术; traditional Chinese: 武術; pinyin: wǔshù  listen (help·info); Cantonese: móuh-seuht) have very different meanings. The Chinese literal equivalent of "Chinese martial art" would be 中國武術 zhōngguó wǔshù.

In Chinese, kung fu can be used in contexts completely unrelated to martial arts, and refers colloquially to any individual accomplishment or skill cultivated through long and hard work.[1] In contrast, wushu is a more precise term for general martial activities.

Wǔshù literally means "martial art". It is formed from the two words 武術: 武 (wǔ), meaning, "martial" or "military", and 術 (shù), which translates into "discipline", "skill" or "method."

The term wushu has also become the name for a modern sport involving the performance of adapted Chinese bare-handed and weapons forms (tàolù 套路) judged to a set of contemporary aesthetic criteria for points.[2]

Lets start doing some research before we put down other peoples styles. In China Kung Fu is also used for sport. I do not have a problem with any style but respect others styles. Any good martial artist knows it is not the style that will choose the winner of a fight but the skill of the practicioner of their style. I have never done kung fu or taekwondo so I am not bias toward one or the other.

Very well said Higuma. Wise are you, pleased to meet you I am. I love and enjoy Taekwondo and have since I first started in the mid 90's. Although I will admit that Jet Li could beat me as easily a 1/2 a second. I do Taekwondo because I enjoy it and because I enjoy the people I practice it with. Sometimes you can't really enjoy something unless you have the right people around.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2009, 07:52:01 am by Animeman73 »

Offline pepito

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 03:27:11 pm »
I do Taekwondo because I enjoy it and because I enjoy the people I practice it with. Sometimes you can't really enjoy something unless you have the right people around.

QFT

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 05:00:09 pm »
Okay I'm a little out of the loop what does QFT mean?

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 06:09:33 pm »
QFT: Quoted for truthiness—either to show satire or agreement with something satiric.
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 07:05:02 pm »
I see, thanks kylite for clearing that up for me. :)

Offline Akako110

• Cabbit
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2010, 10:54:55 am »
I suggest Aikido, Judi, or BJJ!!

"Always expect the worse, that way you'll never be surprised."

Offline Akako110

• Cabbit
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2010, 10:55:57 am »
I suggest Aikido, Judi, or BJJ!!

Typo.... I meant *Judo

Offline AnimeMatrix

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2010, 01:24:37 am »
I want to see a capoeira panel... but that's not very Asian now is it ^_^.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2010, 05:48:05 pm »
my husband used to take kendo, that's why his nick name is kendo boyfriend
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline TideWalker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2010, 05:22:49 pm »
Martials arts other than Taekwondo would be fascinating.

First k-con and I cannot wait!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2010, 06:50:14 pm »
U.S. West Coast taekwondo would love to come back. And hey isn't there enough room here for ALL martial arts?
« Last Edit: March 01, 2010, 09:53:08 am by Animeman73 »

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2010, 09:19:31 pm »
I personally prefer defensive styles. close styles that fit my being legally blind and not horribly agile. just strong and can take alot.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 09:55:19 am »
Taekwondo has stuff like that Kylite in Hapkido or self defense. And i suspect you'd do quite well in that. And Kylite WOW I didn't know you were legally blind, so am I.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 03:16:32 pm »
I hide it well but thew super thick glasses, a dead give away...

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2010, 07:44:48 pm »
You're not alone i hide mine pretty well. The bifocals of my glasses are the giveaway.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2010, 06:40:45 pm »
NINJITSU.  I vote that one.

Offline Tobis A Good Boy

• Sailor Scout
    • My Deviantart
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2010, 11:14:40 am »
Another thing that might be cool is getting some people who study the four avatar element styles, only have them dress up as the character....and maybe even have a small bit where they can teach the kids.

Water: Tai chi
Earth: Hung gar
Tophs style: Chu Gar Southern Praying Mantis
Fire: Northern Shaolin
Air: Ba Gua {Favorite style to practice}

Just a suggestion.
Kumoricon 2011:
Harley - Pokemon
Lobelia Haruhi - Ouran
Lyoko Yumi {First season} - Code Lyoko

Kumoricon 2012:
Secret x3

Offline DDRmasta

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2010, 03:10:57 pm »
If the martial arts demonstrations you've seen are like the ones I've seen around here, they aren't very special.
If only we could adopt the skills used in Korea... then maybe...
I have never seen a 720, or even a 540 at these things. Nothing hard AND fast AND acrobatic.
So its not surprising Taekwondo demonstrations don't rack up a lot of interest.

Offline Mykath

• Cabbit
    • dA Account
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2010, 01:44:52 am »
I haven't read the whole thread, and I know people are opposed to TKD demonstrations, but what about a beginner and/or intermediate type class? My sister is a 3rd degree and teaches TKD as an instructor at her Dojang (and is the pride of her school, IIRC). I bet she would be more than willing to teach one next year if you guys would be interested in that.

OuO
« Last Edit: August 07, 2010, 01:47:31 am by Mykath »

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2010, 08:06:30 am »
Well i figured here's as good a place as any for this annoucementm although I'll be putting an annoucement in the Live programming sectionas well. I am pleased to annouce that U.S. West Coast Taekwondo, will be returning to Kumoricon. The thing is we heard your requests and coomplaints aboout how a lot of you felt left out last year. So we're going to take a differing approach this year. This time we're going to be having MORE audience participation, yeah you read that right! Further details on what we plan areforthcoming but I think you'll find it VERY enlightening.

Offline Hawk_Gyrl

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #30 on: August 09, 2010, 01:56:50 pm »
What is your opinion of a more hands on Taekwondo performance? My sister and I have been throwing that idea back and forth for a while (we are both Taekwondo blackbelts) and we thought maybe a small, fun, 'get beat up by girls' panel might be fun, although we didn't decide to do it this year. I have never gone to the demonstrations so I don't know how hands on it is, but would a 'we show you how to beat up people by using (but not hurting) the audience' be more to your taste?

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: August 09, 2010, 02:42:52 pm »
Actually my school's idea of fun would be teaching proper streching techniques, and getting in a little exercise, and also teaching some self-defense (Hapikido), though struictly the basic White belt stuff level and teach an actual form Keecho Hyung (Pronounced: Key-choi he-young). That's what i mean by hands on, audience participation and learning.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 11:29:17 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline Mykath

• Cabbit
    • dA Account
« Reply #32 on: August 09, 2010, 03:37:50 pm »
I love the idea of teaching the participants an actual form.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2010, 01:44:08 am »
Sadly animeman, that kind of hands on does not seem vary fun.  While stretching is a must for someone that wants to build this skill, showing it off or talking about it to a bunch of anime fans seems like a waste of time.  As for being show basic techniques, if a person can get up and be given a quick demo on how to throw and or kick a few different ways AND THEN get to use it on a bag (or real person who blocks though I seriously doubt that happening) this might get the interests of a few more people who want to learn 4realz.  As for just those who want to watch, the moves I've seen as mentioned before are usually pretty lame.  I don't want you to take me the wrong way, I know this stuff is all important.  But these are ANIME FANS, they are used to moves that will send a guy across a room or break bones with ease.  Ya most the stuff in anime is not quite right, or totally fictitious, but they would much more enjoy the demo if it had some big moves, and lots of variety at that.  That might just be my personal opinion, but I think many would agree.

What is your opinion of a more hands on Taekwondo performance? My sister and I have been throwing that idea back and forth for a while (we are both Taekwondo blackbelts) and we thought maybe a small, fun, 'get beat up by girls' panel might be fun, although we didn't decide to do it this year. I have never gone to the demonstrations so I don't know how hands on it is, but would a 'we show you how to beat up people by using (but not hurting) the audience' be more to your taste?
I for one would love to go to this "get beat up by girls" panel, as long as when I volunteer the move throws me to the ground with the girl landing on top of me with a big smile ^.^   Okay okay, in all seriousness I would like more hands on.  Though I don't know how much others like hands on, especially when they are knowingly being "humiliated" in front of a crowd.  I just prefer to BE the demo then watch it, IF I was more then a little interested in coming.

Offline Hawk_Gyrl

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2010, 04:01:55 pm »
I think it is unrealistic to expect a martial arts class at a convention! If you want a work out, a convention demonstration is not the place to be! I can tell that you take all your martial arts stuff all seriously by giving pronunciations and feeling superior, but remember, this is about an introduction and fun, and not a 100% authentic sweat your brains out opportunity. We all know that you are trying to show us that you know what you are talking about but take a step back and notice, this demonstration would be about an hour in 3 days somewhere people go to have fun. Chill out and be more realistic maybe?  :)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:04:59 pm by Hawk_Gyrl »

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2010, 04:56:49 pm »
Even if this demonstration is about having fun while watching, and does not have much of a physical participation, I would like to see some moves that don't get shown much because of the difficulty.  No, everyone in the class participating in the show will be able to do these moves.  I don't expect to see a 1-3 minute exhibition of skill ether.  But seeing something crazy would make me enjoy the show a lot more, even if it was 15 seconds out of the whole hour.  That is all I was trying to say in the other post.  While it would be cool to see a string of moves displayed, I know it is unlikely for this event.

I was not thinking of anything like a work out for participation.  However, the younger audience would probably have an elevated amount of fun if it involved something more on the line of what I said earlier.  Getting to do a few things, not just stand in a line then do one punch and you are done (I see this a lot.)  I realize one hour is not much time and you have to do as much for as many as possible in that time.  But if there was a way, it would be nice.

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2010, 11:31:17 pm »
Actually we don't believe in humilation. We team girls with girls and males with males and most of our school are men anyway. And what we're teaching is basic defense. i can tell you we'll be doing some special new combo moves we've been practing and developing. And camname21, you should've come to the performance last year. I actually broke a board with a hook kick...WHILE BLINDFOLDED! You don't see that very often. Also how often have you seem someone leap over a bar to break a board? Or for that matter how often do you see someone break a board with their head. And everyone you're welcome to your opinion and I promise we'll do our best to insure the show doesn't suck. And we WILL have the audience participation still. Everyone who doesn't like the idea of martial arts demonstrations is welcopme to their opinion. But there are people who come to Anime conventions who love the idea of seeing a REAL martial arts demonstartions. Although I do have an idea that I'll run over with he heads of the team.
And Hawk_Gyrl, you're welcome to your opinions as well and i respect them. But a word of sagely advice my Master gave me once, Impossible is short for I-M-PoSSIBLE, meaning nothing's impossible, nothing can't be done. Don't underestimate us. You might just be surprised.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 03:30:58 pm by Animeman73 »

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #37 on: August 11, 2010, 01:58:29 pm »
The humiliation I meant was the getting "beat up" or just standing in front of a crowd, not because of it being girls.  And I would have liked to come to the demo last year but I was working at the convention.  Ether I was asleep or on duty.  I didn't have a whole lot of free time, and most of it was at night after the panels were done. :(  This year I should be able to see it.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 01:59:03 pm by camname21 »

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: August 11, 2010, 03:28:13 pm »
Glad to hear to hear that camname21, by all means please come. And you can talk to us after the demonstration if you'd like and feel free to participate.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 10:10:57 am by Animeman73 »

Offline Hawk_Gyrl

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #39 on: August 11, 2010, 04:32:00 pm »
Dude, seriously you need to stop stroking your ego in public. That is my only point.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2010, 04:37:05 pm by Hawk_Gyrl »

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: August 12, 2010, 02:43:00 am »
Here is my two cents;

In a convention centered around Japanese culture....

Why has no one researched a Shoyrin Ryu class?

My brother and mother took Shoyrin Ryu and loved it... and it's very beautiful when done properly... and
they also do a lot of really cool forms that would be fun. They'd often set them to music and perform them
in class so that would be cool.

Clearly not possible for this year... but if we are interested in a form of Martial Art being displayed at the
con, might I suggest the one from the country to which the convention pays specific homage?

*shrug*
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #41 on: August 12, 2010, 10:13:58 am »
Hawk_Gyrl  again I appreciate your honesty and all opinions are welcome here. I'm not stroking my ego at all. I'm simply being nice. Let's all just relax and chill here. This is after all the palce for that.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #42 on: August 12, 2010, 11:25:56 pm »
I was in Taekwondo for about a year. I quickly realized it is a sport for weak people.

So I joined an after school club called the "Faceless Assassins". I'm brushing up on my knife and chain fighting skills for some real combat. We even have matching paisley doorags. My bros got my back.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #43 on: August 13, 2010, 12:18:08 am »
Okay everyone, clearly we need to set some boundaries in this thread because many people are either
unintentionally or intentionally saying things that are inflammatory.

So lets just clear the air and then drop the subject in this format entirely;

While some people feel Tae-Kwon-Do is a worthwhile martial art and sport, others
feel it is merely a beginners trade and not a true form of art in the martial path.

BOTH of these opinions are valid and have merit, this board will NO LONGER pay either
side any heed. Further discussion on the merits and demerits of Tae-Kwon-Do should be
taken to PM or other message boards where the argumentation may be tolerated.

The problem lies that people have serious investment in one side or the other and it is
affecting the flow of conversation enough that the discussion of Martial Arts Demonstrations
has devolved into a "I think it is," "Well I think it's not" kind of competition, and does not
help or improve any part of Kumoricon.

Respect that the other party disagrees with you and you cannot change that here, and
move on to bigger things, like what you'd like to see at Kumoricon and WHY (not what you
didn't like in the past and why)
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #44 on: August 13, 2010, 12:23:44 am »
*Hugs my ally kitty*

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #45 on: August 13, 2010, 12:29:56 am »
like what you'd like to see at Kumoricon and WHY

I would like to see a panel teaching the "Art of Japanese Gang Wars".
Everyone who attends could get a free criminal tattoo to show their "props" or "respect" and we could have a mock gang war at the end, complete with chains and other gang like weapons.

Why: The bright young people of our time need to learn how they can survive in such a dirty and cruel world while pretending to be Japanese.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 12:31:12 am by ~boogiepop~ »
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #46 on: August 13, 2010, 08:32:52 am »
(Bows) AllyKat i hear you and I shall abide by thias suggestion.

Also if there werw any way possible i would like top see some Shoulin style kung-fu. I find the graceful movements and sudden bursts of power to be fascinating and quite beautiful.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 09:02:04 am by Animeman73 »

Offline Akako110

• Cabbit
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2010, 09:47:24 am »
Aikido would be great, but my dojo can't afford to go to Portland. I'm putting my two cents with Kendo! and Kendo boyfriend!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2010, 11:13:01 am »
Hey Akako110 that's actually a swell idea! I saw some Kendo when i was at Sakuracon this year and I thought it was fantastic stuff!