Author Topic: Super Sentai  (Read 1830 times)

Offline Paru

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
Super Sentai
« on: August 13, 2010, 11:07:45 pm »
Since I'm the panelist for Sentai 101 I'd thought I'd make a forum thread about this. kinda let people know a little about it what I plan to do and other helpful information.
Super Sentai(task force) is a sub genre of tokusatsu(toku for short). It started back in 1975! It deal with a team of about 5 people who transform typically have a giant mecha and battle some kind of evil force. Each series has different theme's and are generally label <Adjective> Sentai <theme> Ranger.
I'm sure most people here will first think of Power Rangers. They are NOT the same thing.
the Power rangers License the sentai show and basically keep the monster the ranger suits and the cgi(ranger and mecha fights). Everything else Tends to be completely unrelated.
http://sentai.rovang.org/ I'll try to print out some of theses basically it describes each show and when there is a PR show based upon it you can look up what is different. note that this is basic terms not so much the feel for the whole TV series.
I'm still following links but at rough guess there should be 500 episodes of sentai episodes subtitled almost like watching every Gundam episode ever released (thou more like naruto or One piece in terms of total episodes i think)
I'm right now working on the fansub list which shows and episodes, misc releases and which groups are doing it.
I should have every episode of sentai since 2004(Deka ranger) with a small collection of Jet\Zyu\Dai(short for Jetman, Zyu Ranger and Dai Ranger), Hundred Beast Sentai Gao Ranger, Ninpu Sentai Hurricanger, Burst Dragon Abaranger & Time Ranger. I will have a Printed list at the panel.
http://www.supersentai.com/database/index.html is helpful wikipedia and other sites also work just as well.

My plan is to Briefly mention what Toku and Sentai are(few minutes) then Jump into video's. Showing first and 2nd episodes for a few series before taking requests I will have a play list for all 3 hours if no one has requests. I will toss in one of the "VS movies"  if there isn't a request. after about hour or so I'll finish the episode and select any requests at the time. and Play it by ear. Perhaps your a Kamen rider fan and never watch sentai I could then show you the 2 part Shinkenger episode of Kamen Rider Decade!
note: Kamen Rider is another long time sub genre of Tokusatsu.

Besides the TV show each year's sentai normally has a movie (in theater)  & a "Versus" OVA on dvd. Generally they don't really take place at any specific point they will just kinda give hints when it takes place.
VS is basically current sentai rangers meets up with past ranger team and is a little longer then a typical episode.

If you got questions or comments please reply Esp if there is requests.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 11:12:08 pm by Paru »
2009 Table Top staff
2010 Table Top staff
2011 RPG Staff
2012 Table Top Staff
2013 Table Top - MIA
2014 to 2017 Table Top Staff
The Munchkin guy