Author Topic: Geek love: Myth or soon-to-be-reality?  (Read 4033 times)

Offline lover-of-the-pepsi

• Sailor Scout
Geek love: Myth or soon-to-be-reality?
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:04:27 pm »
Last year was my first con, and during the closing ceremony a man proposed on stage to a lady he'd met  and since dated four years ealier at the convention. My question is, does that happen often? Is kumoricon not only a place to express your love for anime, but a place for you to find someone just as geeky as you are, and date?

If so, how could I not have heard about this???

Beware: I just realised my dream of meeting my soul mate on world of warcraft is no more! From now on, my geeky soulmate fantasy has transferred to anime conventions across the (oregon) land! I will brush up on my (not so) witty jokes, and try to tone down the desperation in my eyes! Single male cosplayers in tight pants, you have been warned!

(I'm writing this in good humor, and don't wish to offend anyone with anything i've written. Seriously, i'm not going to prey on poor unsuspecting guys at the convention. Although, I can't make any promises for other people.....) 

"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
Re: Geek love: Myth or soon-to-be-reality?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 11:03:58 pm »
Just be careful! Someone might confuse you for a non-minor :P

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:40:37 pm »
It's like my mom says: "Love comes most easily when you're not looking for it." So keep that in mind. ;3 The more you're looking the less you may be actually interested in someone and more in the idea of being in love in general. Conventions are a great place to make friends, and as last years ceremonies showed possible partners, but it probably wasn't because they were searching. Enjoy the con and if any pleasant surprises pop up then be happy and take them as they come! xD That's just my opinion though.~
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 12:46:04 am »
I need to freaking stop looking man! lol.

@lover-of-the-pepsi

In 2008 they had speed dating for 18+
The next year though they didn't
I don't know how it went cause I didn't goes.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 01:03:10 am »
I need to stop looking and start opening my eyes because I'm the type of person that finds out years later that such and such person had a crush on me.  D:

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2010, 01:26:36 am »
I need to stop looking and start opening my eyes because I'm the type of person that finds out years later that such and such person had a crush on me.  D:

I. HATE. that.
I really wish people you just TELL you, you know?

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2010, 02:11:42 am »
Everyone, just go to the anime spin-the-bottle thing, and we'll all be happy :)

http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=13193.0;topicseen

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2010, 02:33:35 am »
Meh, I was just feeling sorry for myself; my ex keeps showing up everywhere and it brings up some not so fun memories. I posted a thread like that, but I probably won't be dating for a while. As for the spin the bottle activity, I look forward to participating and meeting new people for some good old fashioned awkward kissing fun :)
"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2010, 02:55:17 am »
Laaaaame. Sorry to hear that - exes can really bring down an otherwise decent mood. And yes, spin the bottle will be fun times :)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2010, 03:11:13 am »
I may watch. Too awkward to play. xD

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2010, 09:11:26 am »
I met my now husband at at forum organized meet up in december after con back in oh like 5 years ago, pocky/baka zoku meet up at llyode center
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2010, 12:48:25 pm »
*chuckles* fear is quite the leader in this.

Seeing a beautiful girl form across the room, hearing her soft voice, a sparking laugh. but what happens if you speak to her and she stomps u flat *laughs*

I got lucky finding my girl because I took a chance. I talked to that girl from across the room and she did not stomp me flat :)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 01:55:55 pm »
I'm not one to talk, being is I'm sad and alone.
But, think of it this way. There are single mixers out there all the time where you're shoved together with like 20-30 potentials, and you have no clue if you have anything in common, share any of the same interests, etc..
Well the hard parts done for you at k-con, because its a freakin anime con, they have to like anime is SOME way!
If you do get stomped flat, remember there are what, 4500 people at Kumo.
My friends and I were actually thinking about organizing a sorta "I'm not in a relationship but looking." logo or something people could wear (voluntarily) during con.

Don't go to con expecting to find a soul mate, go to con and try to make friends, see where it goes from there.

I actually had 4 girls, include the one i'd been 'crushin' on for years come up at graduation and admit this to me. It's annoying.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 07:15:02 pm »

Seeing a beautiful girl form across the room, hearing her soft voice, a sparking laugh. but what happens if you speak to her and she stomps u flat *laughs*

Then she's not worth it and that person shouldn't feel personally offended?

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 07:21:28 pm »

Or 'she' is really a he and just doing a great job crossplaying. XD But yeah snoody people who flatten others are not cool.
Secrety secrets!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2010, 07:59:50 pm »

Or 'she' is really a he and just doing a great job crossplaying. XD But yeah snoody people who flatten others are not cool.

lol nice

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2010, 08:13:48 pm »
*chuckles* school is really to blame for this. grade school, middle school, highschool, college.

All divided into groups of either ins or outs.

Its social programming

(wow do i sound like a nut or what)
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2010, 08:42:31 pm »
Well, there's always room to break the cycle. And it's as Lex said: you're already going to be crammed into a building with 4,000+ other nerds. You've already got a point of connection (probably several), and there have to be a few out of all those whom you can befriend!

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2010, 12:28:28 am »
Hmm.....you know what, i'm just gonna stop letting my ex get to me. I will go to con open and a free agent looking for friends, and if we click enough maybe something more. I'm still young, why the heck should I rush into anything?

Thanks for giving my not-so-original-but-just-as-effective-revalation, I hope to see you at con and have a blast   ;)

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2010, 08:27:11 am »
What better place to find someone than one where it's predetermined that you have some kind of common interest with the people around you?

It at the very least sparks a jumping off point!

Then again at Sakuracon I was the guy that was like "Hi my name is....oh she just walked off and is laughing at me...." *ears lose their perk*

But just because I'm bad at the Con dating game doesn't mean you all are! Go forth and find love~!
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2010, 11:06:46 am »
Then again at Sakuracon I was the guy that was like "Hi my name is....oh she just walked off and is laughing at me...." *ears lose their perk*

Sakuracon is to big! Way to much room for error! Gotta start at K-con first to practice!
Secrety secrets!

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2010, 08:31:36 pm »
lol

Offline Lin

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2010, 11:07:38 pm »
Heh I switch back and forth from really quiet if I don't know anyone really well to fun and flirty with my friends. I never know when people like me till my friends tell me later that someone was really diggin me but never said anything. XP I'm just too oblivious I guess!
Secrety secrets!