Author Topic: The Line  (Read 1991 times)

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
The Line
« on: August 11, 2010, 02:00:51 pm »
Since I'm unable to check-in on Day 0, I'm wondering what's being done this year to help ensure that the line is not a 2-hour ordeal in the elements? I know some of that is out of the staff's control, but waiting in line outside for that long is still unpleasant to say the least. ;)

I was able to go on Day 0 last year, so I don't know what the line situation was last year.

Any staff insight? Any accounts from the line wait last year?

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
Re: The Line
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2010, 07:59:37 pm »
Waiting in Line is always going to be the not-so fun beginning of your entry into the convention..

However, more Registration staff, a more streamlined and efficient set up of the Reg Program as
well as better training for the Reg Monkey's in general has made our current Registration Manager
(Pyro) VERY confident of his plans for Registration on all days of the convention.

There is also a plan in place to make as much of the line under covers as possible. We will utilize areas
of the Parking Garage to attain this!

Also, I was a day 1 weekend badge at-door buyer last year and I know from experience if you bring a
pen with you and have all your information and exact change ready to go so that the moment you
are handed the sheet and fill it out you are ready to be registered - everything can be done in about 2
minutes. So please encourage friends and family waiting in line to have EVERYTHING ready when they
get up to the reg desk, otherwise the little waits add up to congestion!
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2010, 10:10:20 pm »
As a day 0 Yoji line transit operator (self appointed titles are great), all we could do was keep things moving and as smooth as possible.  The only problem I saw was there were not different lines for badge pick-up/pre-registered and those that didn't have their information already given and badge paid for.  This was because after waiting in line, everyone was put up in a different room which was not separated (at least not at the beginning.)   We were literally told how the line was going to move 15 minutes before hand, and changes were still being made.  This could be made better with a line just for those that need to show ID/get badge, at the start of registration.  As for what I heard, the lines were also slow due to not enough experience with the reg staff, this has already been said to have been improved, we will see.

Offline RokusasuKun

• Cabbit
    • Tumblah~
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2010, 10:16:02 pm »
Iunno, for last year being my first con/first badge pick up, it was...okay? It was awesome to have two friends with me at the time so when we were sitting there waiting for a long while, it wasn't too bad.

As for getting my badge, it was actually really fast which surprised me. Just showed my ID (which was my school ID), gave in the form, got badge/holder and I was out of there. I think I was waiting in the actual line, starting outside on the side of ths building from the point of getting inside/close to the place where the badges were for a good...hour and a half, I suppose, while me getting the badge took a good three or so minutes? If I can recall, I was trying to pass the time during the long waitful commotion ^.^;

Offline AllyKat

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2010, 10:55:32 pm »
As far as I know there will be 2 separate lines.
2009 - Attendee
2010 - Facilities Liaison
2011 - Director of Publicity
2012 - Director of Publicity
2013 - Facilities Liaison
2014 - Vice Chair

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2010, 12:39:05 am »
Yay, except I will probably not be there for day 0, and day 1 is fairly non-chaotic.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2010, 04:41:25 pm »

However, more Registration staff, a more streamlined and efficient set up of the Reg Program as
well as better training for the Reg Monkey's in general has made our current Registration Manager
(Pyro) VERY confident of his plans for Registration on all days of the convention.

There is also a plan in place to make as much of the line under covers as possible. We will utilize areas
of the Parking Garage to attain this!

That's what I like to hear! ;D Your guys' efforts to keep the lines down is so greatly appreciated. I'm so glad to hear about utilizing the parking garage as well, hopefully that will keep everyone out of the direct sun and keep everyone a bit more cool as well.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl