Author Topic: Kumoricon PhotoBooth 2010  (Read 7351 times)

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
Kumoricon PhotoBooth 2010
« on: August 09, 2010, 11:27:50 pm »
Lets talk PhotoBooth for a minute. Last years PhotoBooth went off great. Thank you to all who showed up. Great attendees plus Great PhotoBooth crew equaled a good time for all. This year there will be a few changes to make PhotoBooth fit in amongst other sub events better. The biggest change is that PhotoBooth will have a dedicated room all through Kumoricon. Instead of just being open in the evening, we will have open times during the day as well. During major events such as Opening / closeing ceremonies, Fashion show, Rave etc... I will be out amongst the event. The specific, absolute, for sure times that PhotoBooth will be open are still flexible based on the flow of the event & requests from managment / VIP's / GoH's. I have key people on the floor that can spread word about PhotoBooth On The Spott.

The second major change to PhotoBooth is one I want public input on. Last year we set-up so that there was no charge for having photos taken, but there was a charge to download images or order prints / products of PB images. Each subject got about a dozen shots, some stayed longer some were quick. That system led to some long waits for attendees to enjoy PhotoBooth. This year I may set-up with a admission at PB & downloading all your images is free. For the cost of one download you would get to download at least 12 - 20 images from your time in PhotoBooth. 

Please take a minute to post your feedback about how you would like to see PhotoBooth operate at Kumoricon this year. You can send comments & requests to me directly via my web page www.SeeSpottPrint.com

Thank you
Spott

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
Re: Kumoricon PhotoBooth 2010
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 12:02:06 am »
I'm so excited that you are coming back this year! You took awesome pictures last year that are still some of my favorites. I'll defiantly be stopping in to see you this year. :D

Great anime review site! http://www.otakureview.net/

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 12:23:47 am »
Ooow, I wanted to try this last year but couldn't go when it was open! Glad it will be open all the time this con, I'm stopping by!

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 01:12:41 am »
I prefer not to have to pay to get a few shots taken just for fun, and possibly purchase later.  Though I know it may be more profitable for the well deserving photographer (that is if the person is any good.)

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 12:14:00 pm »

Thank you to those that have taken the time to read & reply to my question, as well as those that have sent me messages off the forum. I am looking forward to operating PB again. In response to the most recent post I may not have been clear that there admission with free download OR no admission with charge to order was a either or situation, not a both. It would not be fair to charge both ways at the same time. Nor do I believe it would be fair to bring in 1000's of dollars worth of equipment, over a decade of education / experience, compensate my crew for their skill & labor all without asking anything in return. Profit is not my goal, I have a full time job for how I support my family. Being able to invest in new equipment to make PB better for Kumoricon & other events is my goal, thus why I dont do this below what the real cost / value is. Do you have a preference / suggestion for how to make PB break even rather than going back in the red without dropping PB entirely? Any links you have to a deserving photographer that is any good would also be appreciated, I enjoy looking at the work of other pro's & learning how they find balance between doing what they enjoy vs needing to make profit in a age where everyone with a digital camera is a photographer.

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 03:22:42 pm »
Though I know it may be more profitable for the well deserving photographer (that is if the person is any good.)

I know spott may be new to the forums but he is not new to the con. If any of you went to the Kumoricat Ball over the winter, and had your photo taken, he was the photographer. He has done many shoots for the con and other customers. Please checkout his web site.  http://www.seespottprint.com/

=^_^=

Offline Hawk_Gyrl

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 03:40:49 pm »
I really enjoyed the photobooth but I do wonder about the admission charge... I didn't really get any shots I liked last year (my fault not the photographer, I enjoyed the process of having them taken) so I only payed for one, if I have an admission charge, and I get no good ones, it might suck, and because of the long lines, you feel rushed! Even so I am super excited to take part in the photobooth again!

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 04:13:07 pm »
Personally, I didn't mind paying for my photos after the con. I was able to see how things turned out and help support the photographer and crew. To be charged an admission fee DURING the con... well, in my case -and most others that I know of- don't have much money to spend at the convention and try to save every penny for some really cool PVC they've been eyeballing in the dealer's room. So therefore charging a download fee may be in favor of both parties.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 05:40:39 pm »
Ah, sweet, I didn't realize this was going to be a "before or after" thing.  I must have read it poorly and thought you were deciding which one to go with for the con.

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2010, 06:49:31 pm »
I will need to make a decission on chargeing before or after within the week so I know what to promote at con. Thank you Pyro for mentioning the Kumoricat Ball. I got quite a few images worth being proud of from that event. Plus had fun at a family friendly event.

Here are a few of the factors that influence my decission.

1. Last year many of my images were stolen off my web page. The ones with my URL watermarked across the center are the one I speak of.

2. Longer lines are what made some of the sessions so brief. My desire to accomidate as many people as possible lessened the experience for many people. Chargeing a admission price equal to the price of one download from last year will keep the lines shorter allowing me more time with each PB guest. That will eliminate the rushed feeling some have complained about.

3. Haveing PB open more hours during con will also allow each PB guest to have more time in the studio resulting in better images. If the admission system is used then each PB guest will get to download at least 15 - 20 full size / resolution images for what 1 download would have cost last year.

4. Last year PB was spur of the moment & turned out to be one of the top small events at con. With advance promotion this year the demand is even higher & guest are able to budget a few extra dollars to have studio images made. There is only so much of me to go around & I need to be able to give each PB guest the same level of attention rather than the rushing of last year.

Offline Hawk_Gyrl

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2010, 07:03:04 pm »
That makes sense. Sounds good, I for one am willing to pay for it before, and I wouldn't want to cheat you out of money, you are a good photographer!

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2010, 09:00:39 pm »
That would mean paying for each visit....

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2010, 02:15:01 pm »
That would mean paying for each visit....
That's a good point, so many people have 3 or more costumes.

Offline agpgirl

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
    • Tumblr
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2010, 12:04:53 am »
I prefer not to have to pay to get a few shots taken just for fun, and possibly purchase later.

I agree. And also, I LOVED the photos you took last year ^^ They where really good and you where a great photographer!!
I'm so going to stop by again this year =)
KUMORICON 2017
Mikasa Ackerman | Pikachu

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2010, 12:46:47 am »
A point of clarification I was asked to make. Staff, Guests of Honor, & ViP's will have PB time at no charge for studio time and / or downloads. At this moment I am working on what hours PB will be open to attendees, contest winners, GoH's / ViP's. I know I will be shooting all weekend, just need to work out what sub-events I will be shooting & when I will be running PB. Look for the PB schedule in the con guide & at info booth. PB will be on the 3rd floor again, all the way at the end of the hall.

Offline shanime_panda

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2010, 12:10:07 am »
I am interested in doing this, and would actually prefer to just have a small admission admission fee at the very beginning (assuming it is in fact, small) since it just makes more sense. If it's more expensive, then I'd rather wait to see how the photos turned out before I spend any of my money. I'm not familiar with your services, how much do you usually charge?
Also, where do you set up? I wanted to go last year, but I had absolutely no idea where you were...

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2010, 12:43:44 am »
Read the program guide :D

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2010, 02:07:49 am »
I will be set up on the third floor again & will be at the North end of the building (opposite end as the elevators).

A few comments posted here along with PM's have helped me to see what I need to adjust in PB to make it best for the event, attendees, & me.

This is a link to a new Kumoricon gallery on my web page. The only image is a sample of the poster with the details about PB this year. Some of this info may change a bit by Kumoricon based on feedback from attendees & management.

http://www.seespottprint.com/Events/Kumoricon-2010/Kumoricon-Sample/13388973_hwUCN#973975172_6XQwX

Thank You
Spott

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2010, 09:21:53 pm »
typo in the linked picture above.  In the legal section you say (second bullet) "Any any all..."  I believe you mean "Any and all..."

Offline linachan

• Sailor Scout
    • TMNT Demonic RPG
« Reply #19 on: August 19, 2010, 04:45:01 am »
Where do I look for prices on pictures? Im thinking of getting me and my friends picture taken in our Lolita dresses will your photo booth be up on the first day of Kumoricon?

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #20 on: August 19, 2010, 02:26:21 pm »
Where do I look for prices on pictures? Im thinking of getting me and my friends picture taken in our Lolita dresses will your photo booth be up on the first day of Kumoricon?
there was a link above

This is a link to a new Kumoricon gallery on my web page. The only image is a sample of the poster with the details about PB this year. Some of this info may change a bit by Kumoricon based on feedback from attendees & management.

http://www.seespottprint.com/Events/Kumoricon-2010/Kumoricon-Sample/13388973_hwUCN#973975172_6XQwX

Thank You
Spott

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2010, 09:49:44 pm »
PhotoBooth will be open Friday in the evening. I want to make sure I get good shots of set-up as well as do my part to help. Once the bulk of event set-up is under control I will get PB up & running for a few hours. I did not set specific time for Friday or Monday because of how fluid the con is. Those days I also really want to be at Opening / Closing ceremonies.

This is a link to my main gallery from Kumoricon 2009
http://www.seespottprint.com/Events/Kumoricon-Friday/9521850_J3cPi#650211727_9atGw

Below is my general itinerary for 2010 with the PhotoBooth times in red. (Times subject to change with little notice. This is a Anime con, there is a lot for me to shoot :o)

Saturday
0900 - 1000 = Opening Ceremony
1000 - 1100 = General Event
1100 - 1500 (11am - 3pm) = Attendee PhotoBooth (4)

1530 - 1630 = Tiffany G. Autograph Session
1630 - 1730 = War Stories from the cons
1730 - 1930 = GoH / ViP Dinner

2000 - 2100 = GoH / ViP PB time (This is time for the Vip / GoH to get special request shots on a drop in basis. This is NOT a chance for attendees / staff to get shots with / of the ViP's / GoH's) (1)
2100 - 0000 (9pm - Midnight) = Attendee PhotoBooth (May go longer if there is a line.) (3)

Sunday
0000 - 0200 = General Event

0200 - 0800 = Sleep (Maybe)

0900 - 1400 (9am - 2pm)= Attendee PhotoBooth (5)
1400 - 1530 = General Event
1530 - 1630 = Tiffany G. Autograph Session (or General Event)

1630 - 1830 = Cosplay Contest
1830 - 1930 (6:30pm - 7:30pm) = Cosplay Contest winner PB time (1) (Time reserved for just the winners of the Cosplay contest.)
1930 - 2130 = General Event / Sake Tasteing / Kumori Ball
2130 - 0000 (9:30pm - Midnight)= Attendee PhotoBooth (4)

Monday
0000 - 0130 (Midnight - 1:30am) = Attendee PhotoBooth (1.5) (May go longer if there is a crowd
0130 - 0230 = General Event

0230 - 0900 = Sleep (Maybe)

0900 - 1400 (9am - 2pm) = Attendee PhotoBooth
1400 - 1700 = General Event
1700 - ? = Closing Ceremonies

Here are the details on what PB will be charging this year

1 Person = $10
2 = $15
3 = $20
4 = $30
5 = $40
6 = $50
7 = $60
8 = $65 (Max)

Each group will get,

Together shots as well as solo (pair, trio, quad.....) shots.

A private gallery on my web page for the group where you can download full resolution / size jpgs. From that gallery you will be able to order products with the images (bags, stickers, coffee cups, cards, puzzles, etc...) at a few dollars above my cost. (Not a huge profit margin here)

The gallery will remain active till Kumoricon 2011.

Each photo subject will get at least 12 - 15 shots in PhotoBooth.

The set-up will be much the same as last year with the same style of lighting with the white background. A few background fill lights will keep the background pure white in the images this year.

Looking forward to Kumoricon, only a short time left, hope to see you all in PhotoBooth.

Spott

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 08:20:18 pm »
A few changes had to be made to the open hours for PhotoBooth plus a minor printing error in he pocket guide. Here are the PB hours after making adjustments to accommodate the great variety of sub-events at Kumoricon. These hours will also be posted at PhotoBooth as well as on printed material you will see around con. Just look for the www.SeeSpottPrint.com promo cards that will be on site.

Friday
Sometime in the evening depending on event & demand for PB by attendees allready on site.

Saturday
1100 - 1500 (11am - 3pm) = Attendee PhotoBooth
2100 - 0000 (9pm - Midnight) = Attendee PhotoBooth (May go longer if there is a line.)

Sunday
0900 - 1330 (9am - 1:30pm)= Attendee PhotoBooth
2130 - 0000 (9:30pm - Midnight)= Attendee PhotoBooth

Monday
0000 - 0200 (Midnight - 2am) = Attendee PhotoBooth (1.5) (May go longer if there is a crowd)

0900 - 1200 (9am - Noon) = Attendee PhotoBooth

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2010, 01:42:53 am »
Will there be a place to check our cosplays/wig/makeup before the actual shooting starts? :D

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2010, 09:49:53 am »
Quick question! When do we get to see these fabulous pictures?

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2010, 07:32:43 pm »
I was told at least a week after con  ;D

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2010, 06:10:47 am »
Thank you to all of you that came in to spend some time in PhotoBooth. I had a great time & got many images worth being proud of. Right now I am sorting out over 3800 images into galleries based on sub-event & by subject from PhotoBooth. That is s big project on top of putting in long hours at my full time job & other photo assignments. Thank you to all those that have gotten a hold of me on Facebook with their comments about their time in PhotoBooth. I appreciate all the positive feedback (& even the one "Hater"). Images will be posted in the next few day and I will be sending out links to participants then.

On The Spott PhoTography on Facebook

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=121865314498007

Spott

Offline tas110

• Chibi
    • The Depp Squad
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2010, 03:30:40 pm »
I cant wait to see  them when they are up :D

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2010, 08:37:00 pm »
Squee! I'm so excited to see them!
Trinkets and Tragedy Co-Manager
2013 cosplay: Stocking from Panty and Stocking with Garter belt.

Offline tas110

• Chibi
    • The Depp Squad
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2010, 08:57:18 pm »
I got mine and they turned out amazingly :D

thanks so much spott

Offline astra_sileas

• Oni
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2010, 03:07:35 am »
Are they up? If so, where, cause I can't find D:

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #31 on: September 17, 2010, 09:26:03 am »
Not all are posted yet. Between working 12 hour night shifts since con (no days off) & a few e-mail addys I cant read, there is going to be some delay in getting the images posted.

One email addy that I cant read is "Spock Girl" please send me a email at Dawlmesh@yahoo.com or contact me on Facebook

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2010, 11:47:10 am »
I certainly hope my handwriting was legible when I wrote down my e-mail. I tried to do it as well as possible but I share genes with a doctor.

Offline astra_sileas

• Oni
« Reply #33 on: September 17, 2010, 01:50:20 pm »
Not all are posted yet. Between working 12 hour night shifts since con (no days off) & a few e-mail addys I cant read, there is going to be some delay in getting the images posted.

One email addy that I cant read is "Spock Girl" please send me a email at Dawlmesh@yahoo.com or contact me on Facebook

I don't think I gave you my email addy :O I was the Yoko with Chouji... email is astra_sileas@yahoo.com

Offline Sutie

• Chibi
« Reply #34 on: September 18, 2010, 10:23:26 am »
I understand that you are extremely busy with home and work. I'm just a little concerned that I haven't gotten any sign of photos yet and I was planning on using a couple for my portfolio for my crossplays which I'm running a panel for at a convention that is fast approaching. I think you labeled my friend and I as: "school girl" and "wolf boy". In case you got my e-mail wrong it is: vanilla_bean05@hotmail.com
Thank you so much. Your pictures turned out so awesome last year. I really look forward to seeing these ones! :)

Offline lil-n00dle

• Oni
« Reply #35 on: September 18, 2010, 09:54:49 pm »

Yeah. Spock Girl would be me!! I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything from you!
The address is lil-n00dle@hotmail.com. I'll be sending an e-mail your way and getting a hold of you on facebook anyways.

Offline Kittyrinn

• Oni
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2010, 02:31:27 pm »
I haven't seen an e-mail from you yet... assuming you haven't gotten to me yet, and didn't loos it to a spam filter.

I am disappointed in the pictures I took, nearly everyone I took with my camera is all blurry. ???

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2010, 06:32:42 am »
I have gotten mine!!! But I was only the second person to get mine done.  ;D They are awesome.

Offline SoraKitsune

• Chibi
    • Deviant art account
« Reply #38 on: September 20, 2010, 07:01:33 pm »
Awesome :D I cant wait to receive mine. :3
KumoriCon 2011
Femmy Turkey(aph) Missing pieces: Green hoody, dye hair brown. Mask
Femmy Germany(aph) Missing pieces: Short blond wig, iron cross necklace, Possibly blue contacts

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2010, 07:36:10 am »
We got our pictures, and they look AWESOME!!  Be patient, those who haven't gotten them yet:)  They're worth it:)

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2010, 04:02:33 am »
Here are the links to the Non-PhotoBooth images I took at con. Those of you that have not gotten your PB images yet, don't worry, you are not forgotten & I feel like crap for taking so long but life is happening faster than I can manage the post production to make your images the best possible. Thank you again for your patience & polite inquiries.

General

http://spott.smugmug.com/Events/Kumoricon-2010-General/13388978_Pdkgw#1024123809_5a39M

Cosplay Chess

http://spott.smugmug.com/Events/Kumoricon-2010/Cosplay-Chess/13861483_9ej4Q#1016563556_9pLQQ

Closing Ceremony

http://spott.smugmug.com/Events/Kumoricon-2010/Closeing-Ceremony/13862647_u4FRd#1016665702_D9rZM

Cosplay Skits

http://spott.smugmug.com/Events/Kumoricon-2010/Cosplay-Skits/13902362_8sTmm#1022035875_tYBt8

Rave

http://www.seespottprint.com/Events/Kumoricon-2010/Rave/13902359_MjDT9#1025591385_Po3vf

Offline sinnickson

• Cabbit
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2010, 09:24:37 am »
Hey :) When I was in the photobooth my boyfriend gave you his email address but you didn't get mine. If possible I'd like to be emailed the pictures, I think you labeled us as catboy and catgirl, we were both dressed in all black :) thank you

Offline SoraKitsune

• Chibi
    • Deviant art account
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2010, 03:22:14 pm »
Still cant wait for mine :D it was allot of fun.
KumoriCon 2011
Femmy Turkey(aph) Missing pieces: Green hoody, dye hair brown. Mask
Femmy Germany(aph) Missing pieces: Short blond wig, iron cross necklace, Possibly blue contacts

Offline TheDarkenedElf

• Oni
« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2010, 11:24:10 pm »
Just a curious poke wondering how much longer it might be before the rest of us get our sets?
I'm still waiting on Baseball Couple and pink hair/yellow pants couple.

Offline Spott

• Cabbit
    • My primary web page
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2010, 05:48:02 am »
A few guests of PhotoBooth have contacted me requesting their images. All the private galleries have been posted & I have sent links to everyone I have good contact info for. Quite a few of the emails got kicked back to me as bad addresses. Plus a few folks have said the e-mail from me got zapped by a spam filter. If you have not received the link to your private gallery please e-mail me or contact me via Facebook so I can get you your images. I feel bad for taking almost a month to get all the galleries posted & knowing some guests still have not gotten their images makes it worse.

I learned a few tricks to improve the logistics of PB in 09 & 10 that will make 11 much more efficient. For starters I will focus almost all of my time onto PB rather than trying to cover so much of the event in addition to PB. Trying to do both up to my personal & professional level of standards compromised both general & PB photography IMO. Also, guest will need to type in their e-mail or Facebook contact info rather than hand writing, penmanship was a major problem.

Again, all the galleries are ready to view & download from. If you were a guest in PB & have not gotten your link, please contact me.

Dawlmesh@yahoo.com

or

http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/Dawlmesh

Thank you
Spott