Author Topic: foreign exchange student cosplay help  (Read 2040 times)

Offline tas110

• Chibi
    • The Depp Squad
foreign exchange student cosplay help
« on: August 10, 2010, 10:28:20 am »
so we are having a foreign exchange student from poland come live with us for 10 months and she will be here for kumoricon she is up for going to the con but does not know anything about anime I know you guys will give her a warm welcome at the con

my dad says it would be weird for her not to cosplay so who do you think she could cosplay 

I was thinking maybe poland from hetalia

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
Re: foreign exchange student cosplay help
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:33:30 am »
Lolol she should cosplay Poland for sure, hurdur.

Offline Auricle

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:44:08 am »
You should ask her what genres of fiction she enjoys, and introduce her to a few animes of that genre. See if she likes any of them, and if she wants to cosplay any of the characters.

If you want you can include Hetalia, but keep in mind that Polish people are generally a more conservative and traditionalist set (or so I've heard). The character of Poland might be offensive to her. Talk with her about the basic premise (personified countries) with her first, and then maybe you can go from there...? ' w ';
Possible Future Cosplays:
Sergio - Minor Acts of Heroism
Nero - Devil May Cry 4
Maybe something from Homestuck
? ? ?

Offline tas110

• Chibi
    • The Depp Squad
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 12:23:53 pm »
I dont even know if she wants to cosplay it was my dads idea but if she does it has to be something simple

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 01:12:09 pm »
How about asking her if she wants to cosplay first. I mean if they dont and you make them that's just not right.

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 02:22:21 pm »
How about asking her if she wants to cosplay first. I mean if they dont and you make them that's just not right.

This. I've been to conventions before and not cosplayed and been perfectly fine.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 02:57:32 pm »
Also, you might need to warn her ahead of time, if she cosplays, she might be stopped for a hug/glomp/picture. You don't want to just spring those things on her, especially if she cosplays a popular character. *^*

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2010, 07:25:56 pm »
The people who took me to K-con last year really had no idea what to expect. It made for a very uncomfortable arrangement. Make SURE this person knows what to expect. Being glomped is an important topic, as is what one might see.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline Hawk_Gyrl

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2010, 09:38:30 pm »
I'm sure she will have an opinion one way or another about wearing a costume, but once she sees it she may get in the spirit and change her mind! I thought dressing up was really dumb before I learned about con but it was really cool once I learned about the spirit and met the people! So keep a really simple idea handy so if she wants to, let her go as L (super easy cosplay) or something. Also I would advise trying to get her to like and pick a costume, it will be way more fun if she really digs it!

Offline Serika

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:45:14 am »
I kind of don't understand why people are making cosplay suggestions for characters she might not even know exist, or even LIKE if she's introduced to the series.  Personally, if I were going to a foreign country and someone told me to dress as the character America (or China, or England, or something else I already am) I'd be kind of offended.  I don't care for the character, or the series, and even if I did I don't want to make a first impression by saying PLEASE, IDENTIFY ME SOLELY BY THIS COUNTRY I'M FROM. 

If she wants to go, invite her to come, maybe wearing a nice dress or something formal and more fun than jeans and a t-shirt... But if I'm in a new country and already a little overwhelmed by adjusting to DAILY LIFE, the last thing I want is to be tacklehugged by strangers who are gross and saying how much they want to make out with my character.  There are awkward people at cons every year every day etc etc, if you wanna introduce her to con life then don't accidentally make her a walking target for those select socially inept people. 
lol peer pressure

Plans:
Kumoricon '11: Catherine (Catherine), Nanami (Revolutionary Girl Utena)
Sakuracon '12: Ryfia (Arc Rise Fantasia), other things

Offline Sugarlat

• Bunnygirl
    • Youtube - Sugarlatdesu
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 12:59:44 am »
http://www.animecharactersdatabase.com/

Is a good site to help make a character if she really wants to cosplay.
If you look into it find one she likes then research the character a bit if she still wants to.
But she doesn't have to cosplay, at Anime Expo there were more civilian clothes then cosplay.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 05:48:31 pm »
^ SEE ABOVE POST FOR OPINION ON THE MATTER.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2010, 05:56:53 pm »
just go with cat ears. . . simple easy and hardly noticable and not a hassle to get ready
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 10:27:21 pm »
How about you stash something for her in a backpack, and if she decides to go, she can always opt to put it on? I could be as simple as some cat ears (as suggested above) or something more complex like a full outfit.

You should also realize that not everyone's as enthused about anime and cosplay as some people. My boyfriend can't stand this sort of thing. Conventions are notoriously loud and harsh on your ear drums what with all the fangirl shrieking.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2010, 12:56:36 am »
Yes, we need more cat ears... MUHAHAHAHA.  Maybe if she likes it, someone might be selling Cat Paws in dealers hall!  mmmmmmmm

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 10:36:53 am »
Seriously. Make sure she likes anime before you drag her along. Otherwise it'll be hell for her I'm sure.