Author Topic: 2010 Cosplay Chess: Rules & Sign-ups  (Read 95875 times)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
2010 Cosplay Chess: Rules & Sign-ups
« on: August 02, 2010, 12:23:03 am »
Okay, boys and girls... thank you for your patience (and not spamming me with emails :D)

Rules and sign-ups for this year's Cosplay Chess are available here: Rules  Reg

Once again, we are looking for 32 chess pieces and a couple of chess masters for the event, as well as alternates.  You do not have to know how to play chess if you are chess piece, all moves will be coordinated by the chess masters.

As this is Cosplay Chess, your character cosplay will be the deciding factor in who gets to participate.  This is not a first-come, first-serve sign-up - we will be looking for complete cosplays, with a preference for well-known characters.  This is a separate event from the Cosplay Contest, you will not be judged on the quality of the cosplay, or if you made it yourself - you just need to be a recognizable character.

To sign-up to be a chess piece, you need to do the following:

* Read the rules.
    * Fill out the registration form.
    * Submit the form and photos of your costume to chess@kumoricon.org

You must include photos of you in your cosplay, or of your cosplay itself (I can't reiterate this enough, guys... if you don't send pics, you don't get to play).  Images of your character will not suffice.  Since this is not first-come, first-serve, you have time to wait until your cosplay is complete... there is no penalty for being one of the last ones to register.  You are also allowed to submit more than one cosplay (just submit a separate form for each.)

If you are interested in being a chess master, or want to help out in another way, please let us know by posting here, or via e-mail or PM.

Sign-ups will be open until August 25th. Deadline extended to Friday, August 27th  Players will be notified of their team and position the week before con, and will be required to attend a meeting before the event.

If you have any questions, please post here or PM me
(C'mon guys.. we've had Men vs Women the last couple of years... I'd really, really love to see Good vs Evil :D)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 10:57:11 am by Jamiche »
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
    • Kato's mini Japanese Anime, Culture and Hobby Page
Re: 2010 Cosplay Chess: Rules & Sign-ups
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 10:16:09 am »
Edit and update from our fearless Cospay Chess Leader:

The required pre-game meeting will be Monday at 10:30am followed by the game at Noon, just like last year

Mina Konnichi wa!

Well, I'm certainly going to get my pics together and apply. I think I'll submit my night class Vampire Knight cosplay and see about being on the side of EVIL! this year...Bwahaahaahaaaaaa!!!!

Ahem... yes...and I'll be attempting to give our fearless leader a hand with posts and questions here too. So if you have questions just post or pm me and I'll do my best to get you the answers.
Have a good look at the rules, get those cosplay's ready, take some good pics and get your forms in so our leader can set up the teams.

A little fyi about myself: I've been served as the co-coordinator for Sakura-con's cosplay chess games for the past 5 years and was fortunate to be selected for Kumoricon's chess game last year as Capt. Teletha Testarossa (Tessa) Full Metal Panic.
So, I'm just a happy volunteering actor looking for a stage. ^.~

Cheers!
Kato
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:58:25 am by Kato_Shiroi »
To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 11:33:48 am »
Good vs Evil would be great. I know who to submit XD

I would love to try to get Saix in for this but I don't think I would have the costume done and ready for a picture by then. For now I will stick with my fave :D

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 11:40:41 am »
Awesome, I'm looking forward to this! xD
I just have to take some pictures of my cosplay, and I'm ready to sign-up. c:

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010, 11:52:38 am »
Is it going to be improve like it has been before or will it be scripted this year?

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 11:55:05 am »
Is it going to be improve like it has been before or will it be scripted this year?

THIS.

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 11:56:03 am »
man , I have no evil characters lol
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 11:58:44 am »

THIS.
I hope its scripted but I'm sure it will be improv.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 12:00:31 pm »

THIS.

More than likely. It definitely allows for better battles and smoother progression of the game as a whole to have it scripted, but improv battles can be just as good.

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 12:06:44 pm »

THIS.

Current plan is to keep the game at the direction of the 2 chess masters like last year.

"quote from the main page: at the direction of two chess masters, will move, fight and die live on stage. The combats are not pre-scripted—anything can happen!"

It takes a great deal of time to do scripted games and give people enough time to practice (voice of experience from doing Sakuracon's games)
We also do unscripted games because they're alot of fun too.

Cheers,
Kato
To be truly happy, volunteer your talents, treat others with compassion and watch as much anime as possible...Mina san, Kampai!!!

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 12:16:02 pm »
All of the questions I had were already submitted, so I'm just posting in here so when they're questions are answered I'll get reminded of this thread.

Sorry that I fail at contributing.
Next con: Kumoricon
Make sure to pop in to the Tiptoe Through the TARDIS panel this year.
It is going to be...

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2010, 12:21:30 pm »

THIS.

Current plan is to keep the game at the direction of the 2 chess masters like last year.

"quote from the main page: at the direction of two chess masters, will move, fight and die live on stage. The combats are not pre-scripted—anything can happen!"

It takes a great deal of time to do scripted games and give people enough time to practice (voice of experience from doing Sakuracon's games)
We also do unscripted games because they're alot of fun too.

Cheers,
Kato
I think the unscripted ones are alright. I understand that it takes a lot of time to make the script and prepare properly. The one thing I noticed last year was that the games seemed very chaotic, this is mainly do to the fact that everyone kinda wanted to do their own attack even if they were being beaten.

I think about it before I make my decision to enter. I also don't want to enter the same cosplay two years in a row :P

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 12:52:57 pm »
And yeah, good vs. evil would be awesome. xDDD
I totally know who I'd beeeee.

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 12:56:05 pm »
Captain Ukitake should be the white side's King.

Jus' sayin' :3c

I jest. Just as long as I don't die within two moves I will be content.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2010, 01:06:37 pm »
Lololol well, my character IS a Princess. ;3
I'll try to submit my form a.s.a.p~! :DD

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2010, 01:18:09 pm »
Lololol well, my character IS a Princess. ;3
I'll try to submit my form a.s.a.p~! :DD
SHAY, DO YOU WANT ME TO APPLY AS YOUR ATTACK?
Because I could go all "FIGHTING SPIRIT" and attack someone? With Sahara? That would make me so happy *3*
It is going to be...

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2010, 01:31:28 pm »
AW HELL YES xDDD
That'd be really awesome.

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2010, 01:31:50 pm »
I think the unscripted ones are alright. I understand that it takes a lot of time to make the script and prepare properly. The one thing I noticed last year was that the games seemed very chaotic, this is mainly do to the fact that everyone kinda wanted to do their own attack even if they were being beaten.

I think about it before I make my decision to enter. I also don't want to enter the same cosplay two years in a row :P

Oh yes, I totally understand the chaotic feel. That happens alot with this style of chess battle. It's really impromptu acting and depends heavily on the players ability to make it up as you go.
For me that actually makes it more fun as I do alot of impromptu.

One thing I do that helps is if I don't recognize a game or anime character on the opposite side, I'll go and talk with them beforehand to get an idea of their character so that if I do fight them, I can adapt how my character behaves in relationship to theirs.

Hopefully we will have time in the pre-meet to chat with each other and talk about making the combat more dramatic and exciting for everyone, especially the players.

Also for everyone, don't be afraid to submit a cosplay you've done before. A cosplay you love to do is the best one you could choose to submit whether it's new or not.

Cheers,
Kato

Offline soundninja12

• Bunnygirl
    • ILOVEYOUGUYSSOMUCH
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2010, 01:33:32 pm »
AW HELL YES xDDD
Once my new wig comes in I'll take some pictures of my Simon and send in an application :D
It is going to be...

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2010, 01:35:01 pm »
AW HELL YES xDDD
Once my new wig comes in I'll take some pictures of my Simon and send in an application :D
I'll take pictures of my Nia cosplay later hopefully. c:

Offline PepperGabEm12

• Chibi
    • YouTube-PepperGabEm12
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2010, 10:52:01 pm »
i'm debating whether or not i should do this. it seems like it would be really fun and i would be leafeon probably
K-Con '11:
Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)-100%
Rin Kagamine (Love is War/Brainwash)-20%
Hirasawa Yui Summer Uniform (K-On!)-40%
Hirasawa Yui Winter Uniform (K-On!)-20%

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2010, 08:30:41 am »
Yosh! Got my application & photo submitted ~ Shiki Senri from Vampire Knight for the Evil side :D

Remember everyone, you can submit more than one cosplay for consideration (each costume app and attached photo needs to be on a separate form)

I have a new cosplay for Kumori almost done (Aoi Futaba, You're Under Arrest) so I may submit that one too for the "good side" just for fun. ;)
« Last Edit: August 03, 2010, 08:56:09 am by Kato_Shiroi »

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2010, 08:23:51 pm »
One question and rather important as it might effect my travel plans: what day and time will chess be this year?

I'm seriously tempted to submit Akito from fruits basket, though she's not good or evil persay just crimanally f***ed-up.

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2010, 09:18:21 pm »
One question and rather important as it might effect my travel plans: what day and time will chess be this year?

Can't say for sure since the schedule isn't out yet but last year the required pre-game meeting was Monday at 10:30am followed by the game at Noon.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2010, 09:22:10 pm »
Sent my Nia Teppelin form~ :3
I hope I did it right...

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2010, 10:39:04 pm »

Can't say for sure since the schedule isn't out yet but last year the required pre-game meeting was Monday at 10:30am followed by the game at Noon.

I'm aware of when it was last year. This year the train i may be taking home leaves around noon, thus why i'm concerned about what time chess is.

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2010, 07:26:56 am »

I'm aware of when it was last year. This year the train i may be taking home leaves around noon, thus why i'm concerned about what time chess is.

Ah I see. Well, I haven't been told this years schedule so I sent a pm to Jamiche asking. If I get that info I'll obviously post it here to let everyone know.

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2010, 11:16:58 pm »
I only have three weeks to get my cosplay together for this....breathe me breathe. x__x; My summer has been so hectic but I still want to do this! I gotta buckle down and get to work! >8D;;;

Also in regards to unscripted vs. scripted I personally think scripted is better; for many reasons. One, it gives players plenty of time to figure out what they want to do (even able to go as far as contacting their opponents to brain storm cool ideas), it pretty much garuntees that all characters get a chance to move, and it usually ends up more even than one team dominating over another.

This coming from experience. I worked in a scripted on at Sakuracon a few years back, the map out of the moves was what actually took the longest for the staff I belief and after that the players just had to check in with each other and figure out what they wanted to do. Except for the battle music they had us use. That was epic, yet overly complicated for audio operators. xD
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3
- Billy Joe Cobra (Dude, That's My Ghost!)

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2010, 03:31:30 am »
I'm never being chessmaster AGAIN LOL

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2010, 08:32:19 am »
I only have three weeks to get my cosplay together for this....breathe me breathe. x__x; My summer has been so hectic but I still want to do this! I gotta buckle down and get to work! >8D;;;

Also in regards to unscripted vs. scripted I personally think scripted is better; for many reasons. One, it gives players plenty of time to figure out what they want to do (even able to go as far as contacting their opponents to brain storm cool ideas), it pretty much garuntees that all characters get a chance to move, and it usually ends up more even than one team dominating over another.

This coming from experience. I worked in a scripted on at Sakuracon a few years back, the map out of the moves was what actually took the longest for the staff I belief and after that the players just had to check in with each other and figure out what they wanted to do. Except for the battle music they had us use. That was epic, yet overly complicated for audio operators. xD

Well I can tell you that the scripted game takes us about 6-7 months to put together from the time we open up applications to pre-meet planning and game time.
Of course we are putting on 3 separate games at SC which adds to that time but with logistics and music/audio it is quite complicated to put on and currently it's not a staff position at SC. I do this on top of my staff job.

Hey don't feel bad, the audience was entertained and that's a win!...even if us girls kicked butt and won the game....And the mini skirt thing was a huge hit. Absolutely hilarious.

Cheers!

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2010, 01:10:04 pm »
Except for the battle music they had us use. That was epic, yet overly complicated for audio operators. xD

Thank you I guess, I've been running the sound for Cosplay chess at SakuraCon for the last three years.
That first year was overly complicated as while i put all the music together I didn't run it as i was in the game and had to explain it very quickly to the guy who was running it. I"ve refined it since then, and have run it myself. This year I got some complaints but to my defence during the period I would normally be compliling the music I was battling a computer who very much wanted to crawl into a corner and die.
Like Kato I do this on top of my staff job at Sakuracon, most of us who put it together do.

I concur, I had fun with you but I found i have more fun as a piece.

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2010, 01:23:12 pm »

Thank you I guess, I've been running the sound for Cosplay chess at SakuraCon for the last three years.
That first year was overly complicated as while i put all the music together I didn't run it as i was in the game and had to explain it very quickly to the guy who was running it. I"ve refined it since then, and have run it myself. This year I got some complaints but to my defence during the period I would normally be compliling the music I was battling a computer who very much wanted to crawl into a corner and die.

Like Kato I do this on top of my staff job at Sakuracon, most of us who put it together do.

And the awesome work you put into it is Very Much Appreciated!

Your ability to battle other characters and crappy computers while providing sound is indeed amazing.

Arigatoo Gozaimasu!

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2010, 08:18:41 pm »
daw' you both are amazing ! this year I wanna be a piece ' so I gotta get hop'in on finishing

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2010, 08:43:50 pm »
daw' you both are amazing ! this year I wanna be a piece ' so I gotta get hop'in on finishing

*Cracks Whip!* Get that cosplay finished! ... and that goes for the rest of you lurkers too! ... Yeah I see you in the shadows, no point in hiding...Get those cosplays done and those apps in...like NOW!

*and yes flattery will get you everywhere  :-*

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2010, 08:45:58 pm »
FLATTERY WILL GET ME PLACES??!?#!%1
I mean, wow, that top looks REALLY nice on you today. ;3
« Last Edit: August 05, 2010, 08:46:23 pm by StarryShay »

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2010, 09:11:46 pm »
FLATTERY WILL GET ME PLACES??!?#!%1
I mean, wow, that top looks REALLY nice on you today. ;3

LOL, Yes my dear StarryShay flattery will get you places... with me anyway...
Oh I should point out that I'm not choosing the players and chess masters for the game so obviously the flattery doesn't go very far but it's still appreciated. All us volunteers want to be loved after all.

Ja ne!

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2010, 01:06:37 am »
Ahaha, I just wasted my flattery on you! xD
Lolol kidding.
I can't wait for Chess this yeaar! >:3

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2010, 06:57:07 am »
Lolz, Love it.

Ah and just got the update from our fearless Cospay Chess Leader:

The required pre-game meeting will be Monday at 10:30am followed by the game at Noon, just like last year

I'll place this in my first post as well.

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2010, 07:36:52 am »
Thanks Kato,
Now i'll have to see if i can get home another way(time) or a hotel room for another night so I can leave on Tues.

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2010, 08:23:28 pm »
What would you put a Vocaloid as on the Manga, Anime, or Video Game section?
I know they have Vocaloids in last year but...there's no "Voice Simulator of awesomeness" section...

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #40 on: August 07, 2010, 12:29:08 am »
I know they have Vocaloids in last year but...there's no "Voice Simulator of awesomeness" section...

Yeah, you're right. I never thought about it like that. I love the "Voice Simulator of Awesomeness" title too. Very cool.

For Kumori, I would put them in the Video Game section as Vocaloids started as software creations and have been made into video games too due to their popularity.

Hope that helps,
Ja ne
Kato

Offline Raveen92

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2010, 09:30:58 pm »
Mustang Rules. . .From the Itachi who started the whole "HAIL ROY", befor knowing about FMA . . .SELF FAIL!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 09:31:54 pm by Raveen92 »
Kumoricon 2016 Hopes
Human Creeper (Minecraft)- 100% Casual
Phi (Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward)- 95%
Musa (Winx Club: Season 1 Fairy) - 0%
Amy Wong (Futurama) - 0%
???

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2010, 09:39:48 pm »
YEAH, ME AND MY SISTER. >:3
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 11:59:52 pm by StarryShay »

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2010, 10:35:54 pm »
;;Does anxious dance.;; Must finish cosplay in time to send in pictures. Dx;;;
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #44 on: August 09, 2010, 12:22:28 am »
^ Totally with you there ^^;

Also. I'm thinking about making a forum where people would tell a little about their characters, so people can get to know their allies and enemies!
It would make this year more organized, and could make the fights better!
Good plan?
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Romo

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: August 09, 2010, 07:57:40 am »
I like that idea.~ That way there are no epic fail battles that people blink at think: "What just happened?" I had one of those and it was really confusing. So I'd say go for it! :3
Cosplays for 2014:
Day 3

Offline Kato_Shiroi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #46 on: August 09, 2010, 08:04:10 am »
^ Totally with you there ^^;

Also. I'm thinking about making a forum where people would tell a little about their characters, so people can get to know their allies and enemies!
It would make this year more organized, and could make the fights better!
Good plan?

It's always fun and useful to chat about the characters you cosplay. Obviously until the game selections are made you won't really know who will be on the board but I love hearing about others cosplays and why they choose them.

Offline Shout

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #47 on: August 09, 2010, 05:41:30 pm »
Yay! Sign-ups are finally posted, I was getting worried.

Anyway, I'd like to apply to be a chess master. Uh, I'm not exactly sure what else to post, so I'll just say generics.

- Male
- I have thorough knowledge of how to play chess
- I'm 17.
- Cosplays include Battler Ushiromiya, (Umineko no Naku Koro ni) Tamaki Suoh, (Ouran) and Nozomu Itoshiki. (Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei)
- I'm also applying to be a piece.

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #48 on: August 09, 2010, 07:11:47 pm »
TAMAKI CHESS MASTER PLZ

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #49 on: August 09, 2010, 07:33:35 pm »
Totally agree!