Author Topic: Mewcon - new Year eve convention  (Read 69739 times)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
Mewcon - new Year eve convention
« on: July 15, 2010, 07:06:26 pm »
Hey, anyone interested in attending Mewcon? It's Anime/SF/Fantasy convention to be held at Sheraton Airport hotel (PDX airport) over new year's weekend. Website = http://Http://www.mewcon.com   
Oh, and they're looking for panelists - there's a submission form on the site, and if you submit at least 4 panels (that are accepted) you can get in FREE - w00t what a deal!!!

Mewcon has a forum,too

Also, they are seeking additional minions, er... staff.... so check it out.   Bang Banb Neko will be there and so will be a bunch of other really cool people like the Anime Hunters (at least the really cute and sweet ones!)

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
Re: Mewcon - new Year eve convention
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 10:42:23 pm »
I have been to 8 or 9 conventions and this past Mewcon has been my favorite. I like how there wasn't a lot planed. I heard from Bronte that this years mewcon might be more adult oriented. Is that true?

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 11:11:05 pm »
I just did a quick look over there, and saw in the staff announcements something about the age rating. I'll be looking into it more this weekend (if I can, anyone going to the meeting from portland and has an extra seat?)
There is a meeting this weekend in Beaverton, I encourage all to come who want to help out the small con.
I wen't and staffed last year, and I have to say, MEW is great, its laid back, it's a chill out con for after K-con!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 08:41:47 am by LexManos »

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 12:09:28 pm »
I love MEWcon so much! :'3 There's no beating the chill atmosphere and the friendly people. I wouldn't miss it! Best New Years party EVER.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline asdfAnimeProductions

• Sailor Scout
    • asdfAnimeProductions-youtube!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 02:17:04 pm »
Im going for sure!~ :D

Offline SgtGhostAlecMW2

• Cabbit
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2010, 05:24:22 pm »
Second year i am going to mewcon
Cosplays i plan to go as at kumoricon:

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 08:38:37 pm »
I....THINK I am still photography staff for it, so yeah.

oslapedo

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 09:15:23 pm »
MEWcon's really fun, I'm glad they changed it to three days.

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 09:55:13 pm »
I....THINK I am still photography staff for it, so yeah.
Actually yah we were talking at the meeting today and we would love to have you and maybe some others be "THE" con photographers. You and the others will have all access to the main events and such and get photos for use for next years publishing. So yes your photography staff ^-^

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2010, 10:07:54 pm »
haha- I was mostly referring to the fact I have not posted on the forums in months and I still need to attend a meeting...

I was hoping I was not kicked out be default ha.

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2010, 10:19:44 pm »
About the rumors of MEWcon being Adult, is all true. This year MEWcon will be an adult con 17+ and up, Minors are still welcomed but will need a gaurdein to be with them since there's going to be adult themes 24 hours. But why 17+ well it means;

#1: No curfews!! So 24 hour prgramming is open to everyone. If your under 18 and your parents are ok with you going to a panel then you can go. No ID checks!! (Besides the wine tasting panel which will only be 21+ and you NEED to bring idea if it gets through)
#2: Panels,skits and other things that are not allowed at other cons are allowed at MEWcon ( within reason of course ^_-) So that means skits DON't have to be censored with cussing, risque panels are welcome, many other things.

So why should you go to MEWcon 2010 New years party? Well were "THE" party con, To young to drink (20 and under) or want something to do for New Years and three days, well don't be sad MEWcon is the place for you, we have; long late night dances, panels with various acts and shows, more adult themed cosplay skits and panels, burlesque dancers, Belly Dancers, GoGo Dancers, Glow/Rave show, Themed days for everyday,anime dating games, Steampunk, Costume contests, Fashion shows, special celebrity guests, and EVEN MORE TO COME!!

Want to know more please visit our website and fourms.  ;)
http://www.mewcon.com/

Want to run an event or show of your own then come on by and send in your forms were still looking for more shows,events and panels.

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2010, 10:21:23 pm »
haha- I was mostly referring to the fact I have not posted on the forums in months and I still need to attend a meeting...

I was hoping I was not kicked out be default ha.
no no it's ok she was a little worried that you didn't want to do it, but after we talked we figured you'd love to do it and to help you out so you won't have to be running back and forth we'll have some others ^-^ Hope that's ok.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2010, 10:36:20 pm »
About the rumors of MEWcon being Adult, is all true. This year MEWcon will be an adult con 17+ and up, Minors are still welcomed but will need a gaurdein to be with them since there's going to be adult themes 24 hours. But why 17+ well it means;

#1: No curfews!! So 24 hour prgramming is open to everyone. If your under 18 and your parents are ok with you going to a panel then you can go. No ID checks!! (Besides the wine tasting panel which will only be 21+ and you NEED to bring idea if it gets through)
#2: Panels,skits and other things that are not allowed at other cons are allowed at MEWcon ( within reason of course ^_-) So that means skits DON't have to be censored with cussing, risque panels are welcome, many other things.

So why should you go to MEWcon 2010 New years party? Well were "THE" party con, To young to drink (20 and under) or want something to do for New Years and three days, well don't be sad MEWcon is the place for you, we have; long late night dances, panels with various acts and shows, more adult themed cosplay skits and panels, burlesque dancers, Belly Dancers, GoGo Dancers, Glow/Rave show, Themed days for everyday,anime dating games, Steampunk, Costume contests, Fashion shows, special celebrity guests, and EVEN MORE TO COME!!

WHOO HOO!

and of course I would want the part, helpers would...help as my main cosplay does not involve a camera so I could have a bit more freedom. But I would still love to do it.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 09:55:33 am »
Sounds like a lot of fun. I want to hear more about these themed days XD

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 10:56:40 am »
At first I was like "AWWW 17+?" then I remembered I'm 17.

...By 17+ you mean 17 and older, not older than 17, right?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 12:46:15 pm »
17's are allowed. At least how it was explained at the meeting yesterday.
People under 17 ARE ALLOWED but they need a parent/guardian there.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 02:26:59 pm »
Small Note: I have three people who don't post on this forum who are more than estatic about the new changes.

So- Good move MEWcrew.

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 04:55:46 pm »
At first I was like "AWWW 17+?" then I remembered I'm 17.

...By 17+ you mean 17 and older, not older than 17, right?
Were kinda going with rated R rating; so yes 17 and older.
Here's the post from the site.

In official unanimous vote by all present at the June meeting have officially changed M3's rating to R.

Other year round events, dances, meetings will remain all ages. New Year's is no longer all ages.

What does this mean for you?

-Greater variety in AMVs and viewing room content.
-Less restrictions on panels, art, writing and discussion content.
-A broader selection of novels and manga.
-No dance or main event age curfews.
-The elimination of age based pricing.
-Group pricing breaks to encourage clubs and guardian attendance.

MEW 3 will be applying the same age restrictions as theaters, anyone under 17 must be accompanied by a legal guardian.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:34:07 pm by BangBangNeko »

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 05:11:46 pm »
Small Note: I have three people who don't post on this forum who are more than estatic about the new changes.

So- Good move MEWcrew.

^-^ Thanks, we thought about it and looked at who went to the con last year. Most of the con attendees were 18+ and only a few were under 18. (Me being one of them XD till now lol) so a lot of adult theme stuff was going on. (I mean it is new years) But we also noticed some of the minors were just being dropped with NO guardian and since a lot of adult things were going on, we deiced it would be best to make it 17 and older that way we don't get trouble with parents just dropping off their kids and then blaming us for what they saw. XP Also it means we won't have to check ID for every panel. (Some may still want you to bring it so bring just incase) and if people think about it there are THREE all ages conventions. Sakuracon, Kumoricon, and AKIcon. But no older aged cons, so here it is MEWcon. So people should tell your friends, and have them tell their friends. lol

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 05:24:31 pm »
what are in the works for events and panels? Or do we have to PM that since they are still in the works?

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2010, 05:24:48 pm »
^-^ yep yep

The days are like so ( but you don't have to dress with the themes if you don't want to)

Day #1: PARTY TIME
Day 1 is going to be free for all, think party time and new years. So go crazy ^-^

day#2: Villains day *Evil laugh*
Day 2 you guessed it it's gonna be villain day, so come as the meanest,cruelest, evilest villain you can think of. The dance is even themed Villain, so get ready for all the chaos to come down and rule the world with us.

day#3: Steapunk/ labyrinth world
Day 3 will be Steampunk so come in your best steampunk garb and enjoy steampunk themed panels and shows. Or come in your fanciest dress or masquerade garb. Then dance the night away in our labyrinth themed masquerade. Don't have a mask or don't want to wear one don't worry it's not required to wear a mask, so you can still come and dance. But we will be having a mask contest, giving out prizes for the best masks.

And these are our themes ^-^

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2010, 05:31:44 pm »
what are in the works for events and panels? Or do we have to PM that since they are still in the works?
Nothing is set in stone yet since were months away. But we have everyday having a dance, BangbangNeko's dirty show, anime dating game, speed dating, and maybe a wine tasting. These are what we've only got panel submissions for atleast. Others panel and events are still being worked on, so for these you'll have to PM XP sorry.

But if anybody wants to submit an event or panel or anything really you still can. here are the emails and forms for submitting.
http://www.mewcon.com/panel-registration
Panel Manager: panels@mewcon.com 
Main Events Manager: mainevents@mewcon.com 
General Questions: info@mewcon.com 

There's also the forums for people to advertise their panel/events and such.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2010, 05:57:56 pm »
^-^ yep yep

The days are like so ( but you don't have to dress with the themes if you don't want to)

Day #1: PARTY TIME
Day 1 is going to be free for all, think party time and new years. So go crazy ^-^

Day 2 you guessed it it's gonna be villain day, so come as the meanest,cruelest, evilest villain you can think of. The dance is even themed Villain, so get ready for all the chaos to come down and rule the world with us.

day#3: Steapunk/ labyrinth world
Day 3 will be Steampunk so come in your best steampunk garb and enjoy steampunk themed panels and shows. Or come in your fanciest dress or masquerade garb. Then dance the night away in our labyrinth themed masquerade. Don't have a mask or don't want to wear one don't worry it's not required to wear a mask, so you can still come and dance. But we will be having a mask contest, giving out prizes for the best masks.

And these are our themes ^-^
Oh I know what I am going to wear for Day two XD

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2010, 07:33:04 pm »
So my friends I'll be going with are 16. Since I'm 17, do I get to be their guardian? They'll have parental permission and all, I'm just making sure they'll be allowed with me since idk if we're going to have parents tagging along.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 08:13:15 pm »
So my friends I'll be going with are 16. Since I'm 17, do I get to be their guardian? They'll have parental permission and all, I'm just making sure they'll be allowed with me since idk if we're going to have parents tagging along.
If their under 17 then yes a parent or gaurdian wil be needed. It's like a rated R movie, if your under 17 you need someone older to go with you.  18+,  it's because some things that are going to be going on are going to be "ADULT" So having you be their gaurdian though it would be cool . But we could get in trouble if their parents don't like to see or hear certain things then it's better for them to be their and make sure. Not to say everything is going to be just adult we have other things going on it's just now that we got rid of the ID check your gonna need an adult. And if your parents don't have to worry about being bored, this con is not an anime con alone, we have Sci-fi, fantasy, comics, video games, and the hotel it's being held at is very nice so i'm sure they won't get bored too fast. I mean we've got a nicewine tasting panel in the works .

I hope i'm not sounding like i'm pushing your friend's out, we would love to have them and anybody it's just we're gonna be a bit more mature than your normal anime convention. If that makes sense. ^-^
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:13:39 pm by BangBangNeko »

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 08:22:11 pm »
Would it be acceptable to have a signed parental consent form with a legal guardian attending to them? I know some places accept legal (non-related) guardians with parental consent and someone who is over 18 or 21 who is willing to take responsibility for them.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2010, 09:16:02 pm »
^ And I think that's what she was asking...

I am so going this year! I heard it was great last year and I really wanted to go, but I am defiantly going this year ^^
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline BangBangNeko

• Chibi
    • BangBangNeko Cosplay
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2010, 10:01:28 pm »
Would it be acceptable to have a signed parental consent form with a legal guardian attending to them? I know some places accept legal (non-related) guardians with parental consent and someone who is over 18 or 21 who is willing to take responsibility for them.
No it has to be a related guardian.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2010, 10:42:57 pm »
Alrighty- question answered for all you youngins.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2010, 10:56:02 pm »
Oh hm I guess I won't be going then, since they'd be the people I'm going with :/ Maybe next year.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2010, 11:13:57 pm »
...I might do something.
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline flyinvee11

• Chibi
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2010, 11:19:30 pm »
I'm totally there! Looks like I'll need a roommate!

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2010, 11:23:08 pm »
I have to say this as a staff member last year and an attendee it's first year.

I find it AWESOME that so many people are interested in going this early. This is more buzz then we received last year I am pretty sure- hopefully it continues to grow as it gets closer to the con.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2010, 01:12:15 am »
I was gonna go last year, b/c friends wanted to kidnap me and such, but sadly couldn't...

What's the cost going to be for it? Any clue?
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2010, 01:17:11 am »
Derail: Ms. Neko- your icon is mesmerizing.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2010, 01:22:54 am »
lol
Thanks?
And your's is going to steal my soul...
>>

I think I have all my cosplays for this planned already ^^
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2010, 01:37:17 am »
Yeah me as well, only going to be two (and they will be at Kcon)

hmmm- maybe a third one that will be kinda closet cosplay.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2010, 02:12:47 am »
Oooo, what you doing? I don't think I've ever heard of what cosplays you're doing.
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2010, 02:32:17 am »
Well I will be re-doing my Frank West cosplay in my icon for a day or so

But my headlining and debuting cosplay will be Henry from No More Heroes: Desperate Struggle.

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2010, 02:45:00 am »
Sounds awesome ^^ Can't wait to see!
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2010, 02:50:18 am »
Thanks-

and go to bed, young people need to sleep.

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2010, 12:32:11 pm »

You have no idea how all over this I am. ;D

I am SO stoked that you guys are making it an adult con. I noticed that a ton of the attendees were 18+, so this is going to work out extremely well. And we all know that all the fun panels are the innuendo-filled ones.

MEW this year is going to rock HARDCORE.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 12:32:43 pm by Shadow »

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline legoman60

• Sailor Scout
    • M.E.W.con
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2010, 04:48:36 pm »
Sorry for the confusion, its parent or adult legal guardian.
2008-2010 MEWcon Staff

2008 Kumoricon Attendee
2009-2010 Kumoricon Staff
2012 Kumoricon Attendee

2010 Sakuracon Staff

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2010, 01:42:50 am »
(Sleep is for people with lives >>)

I'm excited to not have to deal with little kids running around @___@ And most of my friends are older than me anyways ^^
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2010, 01:56:47 am »
I work and I sleep....at like 4 AM.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2010, 11:50:41 pm »
I'm going to try and attend. Not sure what costumes I'll bring if any. Nothing to extravagant. But this con will at least give me some fun plans for new years.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline nekovamp13

• DeviantART
« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2010, 11:55:56 pm »
I think people are still wanting to get a Vocaloid Magnet group together, yes?
So I'm gonna be Kaito...
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

Offline Fuyuko

• Catgirl
    • Facebook
« Reply #47 on: July 24, 2010, 02:24:52 pm »
Oh maaaann, I wasn't planning on attending this year but after reading about the themed days... gah, I'm already getting psyched about it. Must... go... >.<

Offline asdfAnimeProductions

• Sailor Scout
    • asdfAnimeProductions-youtube!
« Reply #48 on: July 24, 2010, 03:34:15 pm »
Last years was good also.

Offline nikkiolie

• Facebook
« Reply #49 on: July 24, 2010, 06:23:03 pm »
Oh maaaann, I wasn't planning on attending this year but after reading about the themed days... gah, I'm already getting psyched about it. Must... go... >.<
I would say go, but make sure you have some friends going there too. There isn't a whole lot of panels (not that I typically go to them anyway) but it is a lot of fun. I normally hang out with friends at cons and mew con has been the absolute, hands down, best con I have been to (2009/2010 at least).