Author Topic: Does ANYONE know how to make karaoke versions of normal song  (Read 13382 times)

lyrafowlpotter

I want to sing the closing theme to Helsing called "Shine", and I don't know where to find a karaoke version.... If anyone has a karaoke version of it or can make me one... Can you either post here for contact me by E-mail at: lyrafowlpotter@gmail.com PLEASE? THANKS SOOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!

God Bless ~Amy

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Does ANYONE know how to make karaoke versions of normal song
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2005, 09:20:57 pm »
*waves*

hi amy.   :D
The trick is not minding.

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
If anyone will do it, let me know!
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 06:42:27 pm »
Wow, you do not know just how much you are asking for. It is really hard to make a track from scratch, and most people just aren't interested (or rich) enough to own the software. Most of the time the vocal fading is bad, or the song sounds tinny. Don't trust anyone who just removes the center channel if you are looking for quality. Its a cheap trick that almost always produces bad results. Its better to just go with the on the spot vocal fading that the karaoke group provides, as its basically the same thing. Tip: for the best fading you cannot use an mp3 track. It is almost impossible to separate out the tracks to fade just the lead singer. Bring a store bought copy, if you can. If I'm wrong on this, anyone, please feel free to point me in the right direction.

Please check out the thread in general discussion called Karaoke AMV. We're trying to get a group together to create good quality tracks.
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 10:45:30 pm »
@Imari
Then I have a question.  If we can't find a CD with the karaoke version of the song, how good of a job does the voice fading work on a normal store bought CD?  I'm getting the idea of doing a filk and I kinda doubt I'd be able to find a karaoke version of the song that will go with it.

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
The loaded question...hmmm
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 10:57:13 pm »
That is a tough one for me to answer. I'm really biased, and can't stand most fading techniques. They are all pretty inefficient. Its because of the way CDs store sound, without a separate vocal channel. In other words, the vocal cannot be removed without loss of other sounds. It can never be 100 percent faded.  

I think if you have the resourses, try fading it yourself first. There are many software programs that you can download and try for free if you are serious about making a good track. Try to fade the vocal just enough that you can sing over it without yelling, and without distorting the other sounds in the file. Its a very tricky balance.  

If you are old enough, you could ask the dj at a karaoke bar to fade it for you, or play your faded track over the system. They are usually pretty good about this. At least you can get a good feel for how it will sound so you're not thrown off at the contest.

*** There will soon be a forum thread where you can ask the experts in the field of karaoke. They are much more experienced then I, and can explain all the details with a little more authority. They will also be running our contest this year. Details soon to follow.***
You'll be loved, you'll be loved, like you never have known. When memories of me will seem more like bad dreams. Just a series of blurs, like I never occurred. Someday, you will be loved.

Offline zenix

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2005, 11:19:05 pm »
what makes a song a karaoke verson? is it Instrumental? or just without the main singer? or ????

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2005, 09:57:58 am »
@ Zenix

Generally, a karaoke version doesn't have the main singer and has a video or text component so lyrics can be read.
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 01:36:12 am »
@Imari
Hmm, in that case I'll search around and see I can find a karaoke version in case it does exist.
But that helps.  Thanks

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2005, 11:58:35 am »
if you dont mind losing some of the instruments, i can actually rewrite the entire song... I can easily write and record piano arrangements for you of most any song... all depends tho...
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

lyrafowlpotter

Karaoke
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2005, 01:03:14 am »
Yeah, I'm not sure... I'm not sure where I can find karaoke versions of songs on CD's, besides Japan... No ones been able to help me there...

I wouldn't mind a total redo of a song on piano... If it were on piano... I've been thinking of singing 'Scarlet' from "Ayashi no Ceres"... I dunno though...

Its all confusing I don't think I'd be able to make my own faded track.... Where could I DL the software at?

Thanks a bunch!!! God Bless ~Amy

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2005, 07:15:40 pm »
@lyra
I did a search on line for 'Karaoke software'. It's been a while. I have to warn you, the free downloads are so you can test out the software, and they won't make a track that you can use outside of the demo. It replaces all of the text with the name of the program once you start to play a finished track. It's really evil. But it will fade a track so you can hear what it's like. If you really like doing it, it costs about $80 for the version that leaves the lyrics as you entered them. Kinda steep. Soory I'm not being more helpful. If I ever buy the software and have the time, I'll make your track for you. :) I'd really love to do that for all the contestants, at least. But that is in the future.

Anonymous

Hafler's Hookup
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2005, 10:42:23 pm »
David Hafler** had a neat trick you can try; it works best if the singer you want to eliminate is mixed 'center channel,' that is, at equal volume on Left and Right and also in phase.

Blazingly simple idea: take your left and right speaker out and tie the two positves to the input plaus/minus wires. You will cancel out anything mixed so as to sound 'front and center,' but you will still hear mosy instruments for which the distance to the left mike in the studio was differnent than to the right. So most instruments show up (except thoes exactly on ceter stage) and most back-up vocals come in as well.

But the main vocalist is usually gone or very much attenuated.

- G

** THIS guy:
http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/inmemoriam.html

And near the bottom of HERE:
http://home.indy.net/~gregdunn/dynaco/index.html

Offline EcchiSpice

• Chibi
    • www.dreamlandjapan.com
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2005, 07:29:20 pm »
Hi Guy!
I was hoping you'd post.
That fading technique is what the group running the contests uses to remove vocals. It seems to be the most prevalant. I just want to warn everyone again that it works best on a bought CD, not an mp3. You can bring your CD and let the group fade it via Guy's suggested method. So don't worry if you can't find a karaoke version.

Anonymous

The Hall Effect
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2005, 11:04:03 am »
Quote from: "Imari"
Hi Guy! I was hoping you'd post.
Nice to hear from you too! :D

One thing to remember is that this was called the 'hall effect' (as in 'music hall,' or 'concert hall,' but no connection with Edwin Hall: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hall_effect and HIS "Hall Effect" for magnentic sensing.)

Specific acoustic characteristics of the HALL are amplified, so that if you have two recordings of a band in (a) a studio vs (b) a particular concert hall, the ambience of that hall is strongly amplified.

If you listen to a LOT of music recorded in concert halls (OK, I happen to be a classical fan) you can actually get a 'feel' for the halls even if you've never been there. My (late) mother used to be able to pick that out and say "Ahh, Carnegie Hall,' etc.)

- G

Offline GaleWolf

• Cabbit
    • http://www.karaokekaizokudan.net
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2005, 11:10:58 pm »
Just wanted to add here that for the contests, you do not need to remove the lyrics from the song yourself. As a matter of fact, it is against the contest rules to modify or alter your song in any way. Instead we will have vocal dampening software to handle the lyrics removal.

I do highly suggest that if you are serious about the contest, that you either consider finding the karaoke track, or at least try out the song on your own as it would sound with vocal dampening first. Vocal dampening can be known to have unpredictable results, especially on songs with heavy instrumentation.

If you use WinAmp, you can try this plug-in which does vocal dampening:

http://classic.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=6295

For folks using XMMS, here's the Linux version:

http://defx.sourceforge.net/
Karaoke Kaizoku-dan: "Under our flag, we sing in freedom..."