Author Topic: MANLY ANIME  (Read 32784 times)

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
Re: MANLY ANIME
« Reply #50 on: February 15, 2011, 10:45:41 pm »
Fourth(?)-ing Gantz. That is some manliness right there. And since we're counting manga too, Lone Wolf And Cub.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #51 on: February 15, 2011, 10:50:53 pm »
^ Gants looks really manly. The cover looks nuts.

Ummm..Is Claymore manly? All the characters are mainly women and like one or two guys...-_-

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #52 on: February 15, 2011, 10:56:50 pm »
^Claymore is kiiiind of manly. It's definitely shonen, but...I dunno if it's really manime (<--I need more reasons to use this word)

Gantz covers are sort of hilarious. At the beginning they were mostly canon characters, but later on they're pretty much just random girls in really skimpy outfits holding guns (not that I'm complaining).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #53 on: February 16, 2011, 01:42:31 pm »
XD!!!

Actually, Pokemon is very manly, manly indeed.

Like when Brock hits on all those ladies and whenever Ash saves some Pokemon or in the movies.

Okay, those basic concepts DO seem manly enough to be mentioned in a manly thread, though these can be found in Sailor Moon, too...
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #54 on: February 21, 2011, 03:48:02 am »
Uh ya, I think Claymore is fairly manly.  Besides their high voices and thin girlish looks, there isn't anything else that would make me realize these were not a pact of silent type tough guys running around the country killing demons on a quest to keep the world safe (while hiding a their soul shattering reasons for doing so deep inside, where almost no one can ever find {and if someone were to find out they die, LOL!}).

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #55 on: February 21, 2011, 09:44:21 pm »
Uh ya, I think Claymore is fairly manly.  Besides their high voices and thin girlish looks, there isn't anything else that would make me realize these were not a pact of silent type tough guys running around the country killing demons on a quest to keep the world safe (while hiding a their soul shattering reasons for doing so deep inside, where almost no one can ever find {and if someone were to find out they die, LOL!}).

I dunno, I think of 'manly' anime as stuff that's a bit more...over the top? Not necessarily goofy, but...it's hard to explain. Like, most of the anime that I would think of as manly tend to be more driven by plot and less by the characters (which is not necessarily a bad thing, it can work out great.) OTOH, I've only read the first few volumes of Claymore, so I may be completely off base.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: February 21, 2011, 09:45:24 pm »
There was one little spot in Lucky Star that was manly. That was when they went to Comiket, and saw the doujinshi of Full Metal Panic, the Yaoi years or something. lol Aye, manly yesh! lol ewwwwww
Have Fun

Jay

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #57 on: February 22, 2011, 01:22:11 am »
I dunno, I think of 'manly' anime as stuff that's a bit more...over the top? Not necessarily goofy, but...it's hard to explain. Like, most of the anime that I would think of as manly tend to be more driven by plot and less by the characters (which is not necessarily a bad thing, it can work out great.) OTOH, I've only read the first few volumes of Claymore, so I may be completely off base.

Ah, I've been watching the anime.  The plot and sometimes characters are rather vague so I'm not even thinking of that.  The manly aspect I'm describing would be the quiet thinking side, if you are not a man you probably don't see it as much in general interaction.  There really is nothing goofy about how these manly chicks act.  And I would say the "over the top" stuff you are used to is just another type of manlyness, Needless fits this description perfectly.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #58 on: February 22, 2011, 08:39:13 pm »
I would say that the characters are more "realistic" in Claymore, and yes, it is more driven by plot. I think that way is better unless it's something like Bobobo.

Chibachi Nero, you said you only read the first few manga, I've seen the whole anime and the show just gets way more bloodier and crazy. I mean one of them yomas drilled into one of the Claymore's stomachs and made a gut smoothie...It's pretty bad-ass.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 08:40:02 pm by NARUNIK »

Offline Chibachi Nero

• Catgirl
« Reply #59 on: February 22, 2011, 08:55:58 pm »
Chibachi Nero, you said you only read the first few manga, I've seen the whole anime and the show just gets way more bloodier and crazy. I mean one of them yomas drilled into one of the Claymore's stomachs and made a gut smoothie...It's pretty bad-ass.

I dunno, I guess I don't really equate 'bloody' with 'manly'. But like I said, I've only read the beginning, it could be totally manly later on. Just my initial impression wasn't that it was manly.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2011, 08:58:11 pm »
Does anyone think Speedgrapher counts as manly? I was thinking this is like Clint Eastwood's Play Misty for Me, sort of.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline seshetaxhikaru

• Sailor Scout
    • my random blog- Life Affairs
« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2011, 01:54:02 pm »
What about:

Blue Gender? The monsters look like female genatalia...It has a plot and is very action oriented

Zombie loan? - I haven't read too much of this yet though so not sure...
Zombie Powder?
High School of the dead?
Dead Space Downfall-although I don't know if this counts as manga/anime
Majin tokyo?
Hellsing??- Though personally I loved this one- so maybe a good co-ed

Trigun?? - again a good co-ed but It seems like cowboy bebop so it should count right?

Fumofu and its counterparts?- thought it was a great co-ed anime.
Desert Punk? -hillarious dirty humor
Street Fighter (all)- Again not sure if this counts as anime/manga-but the boring fight scenes seem guy enjoyable to me

Maize is adult related content, does that count?
Girls Bravo-was a bit more sexual than I anticipated...
Burn up -Probably not very manly- but the boob jiggle counter seems like they tried to make it more so....

And then of course there is the taboo world of anime pron that I wont step into-but I would assume they count as manly manga/anime.
I'd rather be a first rate me, than a second rate someone else.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2011, 02:02:00 pm »
Street Fighter (all)- Again not sure if this counts as anime/manga-but the boring fight scenes seem guy enjoyable to me

It depends on which movie/series and who the characters are...

Maize is adult related content, does that count?

It works for me! ;D

Burn up -Probably not very manly- but the boob jiggle counter seems like they tried to make it more so....

I'd call it manly, (though I'm thinking Burn-Up!) even though the main two good guys that are awesome are female.  (Remi is awesome!)
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2011, 04:00:13 pm »
=P Air Gear seems pretty manly to me. Japanese swearing in English, undeniably shounen morals, fanservice that is most definately targeted towards the male populace (including those scandalous camera shots when the girls pull off tricks and the protagonist's general fantasies), those epic fight scenes.

It's hardcore, man,
cosplay 2011

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #64 on: June 02, 2011, 04:14:54 pm »
Gantz. I think I may have seen this, but Gantz.

Save Caprica!!

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2011, 05:47:42 pm »
Girls Bravo-was a bit more sexual than I anticipated...
Agreed.  Though the main character kept it in check with his school boy innocence.

Girls Bravo is so not a manly anime. 

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2011, 11:50:26 pm »
Just my opinion... but it doesn't make an anime "manly" to have lots of gratuitous female nudity and outfits that look painted on, or lots of sexually-titillating situations. Lust is almost the polar opposite of heroic resolve, strength of will, and self-denial.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Saiyusa

• Cabbit
« Reply #67 on: June 04, 2011, 01:48:26 am »
I can't believe no one mentioned this one because it's amazing. SENGOKU BASARA. Someone mentioned earlier about "over the top"-ness and this would definitely be it. It's my favorite anime ever I think. The characters are just...o_o Please someone just know what I am talking about so I do not besmirch the reputation with my feeble attempts at properly explaining this manime and it's manlyness.

Man standing on a horse holding a giant ax as the horse runs up a vertical wall. Did I mention the giant hair?

@randompvg: Yukimura is the epitome of heroic resolve, strength of will, and all that any man would hold dear to his unshaven heart.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2011, 01:52:25 am by Saiyusa »
Why yes. I did draw that myself. How could you tell? I'm sorry too.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #68 on: June 04, 2011, 03:05:23 am »
You'd be absolutely right to say that boobs and butts and panty shots don't disqualify an anime from being manly... Yoko from Gurren Lagann is one of the manliest characters there is, in one of the manliest animes there is.

But they don't make an anime manly, especially not if they're the primary defining characteristic.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline Saiyusa

• Cabbit
« Reply #69 on: June 04, 2011, 03:56:13 am »
You'd be absolutely right to say that boobs and butts and panty shots don't disqualify an anime from being manly... Yoko from Gurren Lagann is one of the manliest characters there is, in one of the manliest animes there is.

But they don't make an anime manly, especially not if they're the primary defining characteristic.
I am in full agreement. In the Sengoku Basara anime, the outfit that Kasuga wears is ridiculously scandalous to the point that it adds to the hilarity in its conspicuity XD It's not displayed so much in a sexual way but more in a way that it makes it more difficult for me to take her supposedly ninja character seriously. The whole anime to me combines fighting with involved strategy and simplistic yet engaging plot. But what really got me right off the bat were the personalities. I mean c'mon. Biker gang parody samurai? Touchdown; Slam Dunk; GOOOAAAAALLLL!

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #70 on: June 07, 2011, 04:09:16 pm »
Interesting, I will check out this Sengoku Basara anime soon.

Offline Saiyusa

• Cabbit
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2011, 03:07:11 am »
You definitely should :3 Apparently it is also a video game series but I didn't know that before watching the anime

Offline Drauska

• Catgirl
« Reply #72 on: June 10, 2011, 10:12:36 am »
Total testosterone, action packed weekend ahead of me.  I got me a good list going here from all of your responses and hope that netflix has some of these on instant, cause that 3 day wait just sucks.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #73 on: June 10, 2011, 11:00:21 am »
You want manly anime? Watch Wolverine. Seriously. So manly and yet so sparkly. Only Japan could take Wolverine from X-Men and make him sparkle.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Agent47

• Chibi
    • MySpace
« Reply #74 on: June 20, 2011, 10:39:27 pm »
The Guyver.

'nuff said.
Who wants a hug from the Hitman/Generic Turk/Vergil?

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2011, 02:35:30 am »
Watched 2 episodes of Sengoku Basara, and I've got to say it has the right stuff for manly anime.  I haven't noticed much of any ecchi aspect in it, so I still favor Needles more.  That is just my personal taste however.  Presented to a cleaner audience, Sengoku would be the #1 choice for viewing to show off a REALy manly anime

Offline Halycon Galanodel

• Cabbit
« Reply #76 on: July 03, 2011, 10:01:52 pm »
Toriko. Nothing is manlier than DBZ sized dudes hunting down animals with the sole intention of eating them.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #77 on: July 06, 2011, 07:54:42 pm »
That does sound pretty manly, I'll have to check it out and see if they are manly or just big dudes with little voices in jump suits. (Be there no camouflage, if they be on the hunt?)

Offline jianna

• Cabbit
    • Deviantart
« Reply #78 on: July 22, 2011, 10:13:05 am »
Akagi and Kaiji, in which blood and bodily harm are viable bets for gambling, and manly tears are shed.

Current Planned Cosplays: Stomp The Enemy, Chinchirorin Kaiji, Kyrie Ushiromiya, Lat Miku

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #79 on: July 25, 2011, 09:35:54 pm »
TWO WORDS:

SOUTEN KOURO.

Set in 3rd century China and following Cao-Cao and several other generals; most if not all women in this story are entirely peripheral to the political and military operations of society. Whether decorative or treacherous, in this setting they are at best side ornaments to the MEN who MOVE HISTORY.

The generals themselves are drawn as MASSIVE hunks of muscle.
No pointy-chin, gaunt, 135-pound J-pop male-waifs here.
Barrel chests. Balding. ( = high testosterone) Hooked sideburns. Jowls.

NO POINTY CHINS.

They have a scene where the emperor has ordered the arrest and execution of one of his own generals, for treason.
The poor dude reading the edict is sweating bullets.
The general's rage alone EXPLODES the palanquin.

An assassin is dispatched to do the dirty work, but transfixing a MAN with three spears from behind merely pisses him off a little more and slows him down a bit.
Also, a solid wooden beam from the temple - to the face - just rub it off and keep going.
A MAN cracks the stone pavement when he falls over.

Sorry; Vash and Spike and Gene Starwind just don't cut it next to these guys.
I bailed on TTGL, but from what I've seen of Kamiya, one of these generals could sneeze and blow Kamiya over.
DBZ characters look like baby-faced kids next to these MEN.

the scene I am describing runs from 10min 48sec to 16min 46 sec.

Daaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyymmmmmm ......................

edit by dancingtofu: removed DL link; please do not post downloads for unlicensed media on the forums.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:01:38 am by DancingTofu »