Author Topic: How early should one arrive at K-con?  (Read 2119 times)

Offline emasik

• Sailor Scout
How early should one arrive at K-con?
« on: June 22, 2010, 01:09:01 pm »
It's my first one, and I've both seen and heard of the long..long lines that are an inevitable part of the experience. Though, I wonder, what is the best method to settle in quickly, before the claustrophobia? That said, someone's going to have to explain to me, hotel and con check in are separate affairs, amirite? And do we get a tangible printout of events?  o 3 o

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
Re: How early should one arrive at K-con?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2010, 02:25:09 pm »
I'm not K-con staff or an admin or anything, but....
Hmm, well this is my second K-con. Last year. I got there around 7 AM and since I pre-regged online, there wasn't too much of a line. that being said, there was still a heck of a lot of people there. The con is just being held at the hotel. If you want to rent a hotel room, that's a totally different affair than con-check-in. Um, a little later, closer to con time, the website should release a list of events, where they are being held, what time, etc. Last year I tried to print off all of it and wound up with like over 30 pages, so yeah. If you want a tangible list of the events, you'll probably just have to print it off yourself. By the way, even if you get there early, the lobby will be super crowded and loud as heck. If you want peace and quiet, retreat either to your room (if you have one) or up to the karaoke lounge. Unfortunately, the elevator lines get long and hectic, and the hotel staff starts to get really ticked off after a while. If you wanna get somewhere, but don't want to take the stairs all the way up, just walk up to like the 5th floor and try to join the elevator from there.

ultimately, the crowds are inevitable, but they sometimes just help pump up the excitement. hm, my advice to you would be just to get there early in the morning and try to beat the crowd. Good luck =3
cosplay 2011

Offline emasik

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2010, 04:08:22 pm »
So then, actual con affairs don't officially begin until the 4th, but I keep hearing about 'day 0'...  In my mind, that warrants being there on the 3rd. Which is fine with me, since that's the check-in day I reserved a room with. But again, someone will have to tell me what it's all about. And thanks for your input Chiro. It's nice to hear some people didn't have much of a wait. Then again, I've heard plenty of horror stories, and seen lots of pictures & videos of pre-reg lines stretching 4-5-6 blocks.. Nyaa.  I need someone to take me under their wing or summat. xD

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2010, 05:10:56 pm »
Day 0 is basically just when people who have pre-regged pick up their badges, and usually people who have a room at the hotel hang around. Sometimes there are meet-ups on this day, but it's pretty much a mellow pre-con day.

Since '05 I had done the whole "badge pick-up on the morning of Day 1" thing, and from experience I can tell you that it's really hit or miss on how long you'll have to wait. Some years I had to wait for 3 hours, some I had to wait 30 minutes. It all depends on how early on Day 1 you get there, and how efficient the staff are.

NOW, the only way to go is to pick-up your badge on Day 0. Accept no substitutes. My first time doing that was last year's K-con, and I have to say that I'm never doing another pick-up on the actual first day of the con again. The line was much better, there's no waiting outside, and even IF the line is long, you're not missing anything. So there's also a lack of stress and panic. ;)

Long story short, Day 0 for hotel check-in and badge pick-up is the only way to go. Less stress, and this way you've got all of Day 1 to enjoy instead of spending your first some-off hours of it in line.

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline emasik

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2010, 05:18:50 pm »
Hay, thanks very much, Shadow. That was actually very helpful. :3 I'm quite happy with my planning now.  Hope to see you there then, I'll be on the lookout for Sweeney Todd.  <3

Offline Shadow

• Catgirl
    • My deviantART Page
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2010, 05:29:06 pm »
I'm glad I could help! And major kudos too, you found out quickly what it took me 5 years to figure out. XD Your plans are spot-on, and enjoy Day 0! (Just look for any Depp character, chances are you'll find me too LOL.)

Like TDS? Become a fan on facebook!: http://www.facebook.com/thedeppsquad

Kumoricon 2013

Sweeney Todd
Hit-Girl

Offline leadpoppy

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 10:57:57 pm »
I was just wondering. I pre-ordered my badge for the con online. Do I have to get it on day 0? Or can I just wait until day 1? Again, just curious.

Offline nikkiolie

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2010, 06:04:56 am »
You don't have to get your badge day 0 but it is usually better. Like Shadow said the line length could vary and you could end up missing things you want to do if you get it day 1.

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2010, 07:14:50 pm »
last year I got my badge on day 1 so it should be fine
cosplay 2011

Offline Ticra

• Sailor Scout
    • Deviant profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 08:34:09 pm »
It's totally okay to get stuff on day 1, but why wait? Unless you can't make it on day 0, it's so much easier to pick it up then. The lines are more relaxed (if not shorter) and people are less frusterated and stressed in line. This makes the whole expierance much happier.

Regardless, I find k-con to be a very low stress con, so either way it's no big deal.
Cheers!
I eat toasters 0_o

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
GAT/ED/PA d—s-: a- - C+++ L E W+++N o+ K++w+ O+ M - - V PS+ PE+ Y PGP t+++ 5+ X++ R  tv+ b+++ DI+ D G++ e++ h- !r  x-
-----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 09:03:54 pm »
just so u know there is usually a little bit of events on day 0, we gave it a bit of a test run this last year and it might happen again,

note: this is not guarenteed but guesstimated lol

as for registraiton, show up on day 0 and get it done early. then you dont have to stand in lines on day 1 or 2
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2010, 08:35:30 pm »
I agree there Kylite. Day 0 is DEFINITELY a good day to register. And personally speaking from experience I think it's always good to go VIP if you can afford it. That way you don't have to worry about lines and get on to your K-con experience. And on Day 0 I recommend if you';re going to stand in line get there around 2:30 p.m., 3, or 4 p.m.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 08:37:44 pm by Animeman73 »
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.