Author Topic: Kumoricon wants you!(to join staff)  (Read 39956 times)

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
Kumoricon wants you!(to join staff)
« on: June 20, 2010, 09:39:39 am »
I'm posting this here to reach out to the people who might not look in the Get Involved area.
 Kumoricon needs more staff, people who will be willing to work to make the Convention happen. I've been staff since the first year and can't really put into words the sense of pride I have in this Con.
We love our staff, the more people helping the less work each person has to do, and then each person has more free time to enjoy the Con
 I won't lie, not every job is easy, but we can find a job for anyone.
If you're not interested in staffing, we also have volunteer positions open. With volunteering you can help the Con when you have free time between panels and events and everything else going on at Con. We love Volunteers, they are the people who let us get away for a bit to get food or use the restroom or go see something awesome.
 We try to come up with nice perks for Staff and Volunteers. If you are interested, please look around in the "Get Involved" Section of the forums, or come to a general meeting(open to the public) and talk with the staff.

Thanks.

Beau G. Con Chair
And now I'm a catgirl?

The voice of the one I love
was all I could hear as I lay broken in the darkness
My own voice faltered
My wings no longer had the strength to fly
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: Kumoricon wants you!(to join staff)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:08:02 pm »
More staff = better con and more free time for everyone!   ^.^

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 08:12:07 am »
Staff registration is closed for this year, but we can always use volunteer help! Maid Squad, Street Team, Gaming, Yojimbo, and others are still looking for people - see this thread.

Please let us know as soon as possible if you'd like to join in; it makes scheduling a lot easier.

But fair warning... once you see what it's like to work behind the scenes, you may not be able to resist the lure of joining staff for next year. The perks can't be sneezed at, but the real clincher is how rewarding it feels to know you've helped make sure your "con family" has the best possible experience. That's how they got me back in 2005, and I've never quite been able to shake the bug. (^_^)
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline IchigoBunny

• Sailor Scout
    • Ichigobunny's deviant art
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 12:48:22 am »
My only prob is that i am a cosplayer and i wouldn't be able to do that if i was on staff.

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2010, 12:51:08 am »
My only prob is that i am a cosplayer and i wouldn't be able to do that if i was on staff.
Whoever said that?
There are a few restrictions, such as no weapons/masks, but for the most part cosplays are just fine.

Offline kalagei

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 12:51:51 am »

A good chunk of our staff are cosplayers :D There are some guidelines on what's appropriate  to wear when on shift, but cosplaying by the staff is generally encouraged.

Just making sure costumes aren't too revealing, and that you're not wearing a mask is the short version of it.

Edit: and what Lex said. Weapons, can't carry weapons on duty.

Thanks man :D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2010, 12:52:16 am by kalagei »
2004 - 2007 Kumoricon Attendee
2008 - Operations Office Staff
2009 - Assistant Ops Director
2010 - Director of Operations
2011 - Registration Manager
2012 - Vice Chair
2013 - I can safely say that I'm not running for a board position :D

Offline xkuroxhanax

• Chibi
    • LJ, gaiz.
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 04:40:52 pm »
Just a quick question about staffing because I'm interested in maybe being Yojimbo for next year. What would it actually entail? Perks, if any? Just trying to find out what I would and wouldn't be able to do as a con-goer if I were to staff, as well? I just kind of need an overview, but haven't really been able to find a sufficient one. Just bits and pieces here and there...
2009 Cons:
~Sakura-con 09
~Anime Evolution 09
~Kumoricon 09

Current cosplays:
~Axel (KH2)
~Kanda (DGM)

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2010, 05:06:38 pm »
When staffers are off duty they can do whatever they want. We want to get enough staffers that everyone can take some time off and enjoy themselves.
 We used a shift system this year that helped sort where and when we needed people. Come to any of the monthly general meetings if you can and ask questions.
 Perks include but are not limited to, staff voting rights,  staff shirt, staff events during the year, food at con and during work parties. And being part of making the convention happen.
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline xkuroxhanax

• Chibi
    • LJ, gaiz.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2010, 05:29:17 pm »
Ahh, thank you, thank you. I'll be sure to come to a meeting at some point.
2009 Cons:
~Sakura-con 09
~Anime Evolution 09
~Kumoricon 09

Current cosplays:
~Axel (KH2)
~Kanda (DGM)

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 12:36:56 am »
If you like panels, best perk is instant entry for staff.  No more lines, or waiting to find out they are full just before you get in :D

(they still did that this year right?)

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 04:35:23 pm »

(they still did that this year right?)

I don't know, but I treated every panel like that, regardless.

"what you're not open yet? It's all good, just taking some photos"

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2010, 04:59:58 pm »
har har.

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2010, 05:01:31 pm »
oh come on- where is your usual snappy response to my controlled anarachy, like last year?

You know it's all in good fun- and I only walked in on a panel early ONCE this year.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2010, 05:12:38 pm »
I actually typed one, but then I deleted it.  BTW you didn't see a Naruto "ANBU" guy or girl and get a pic of them did you?

I miss my free shirt this year, last year's was cute.  Mayhaps I will try to do a skit next year and staff in a position I'm not needed too much on sunday.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2010, 05:13:28 pm by camname21 »

Offline RoscoeTEHclam

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 09:20:52 pm »
Considering the fact that i was pretty much recruited to help with Yojimbo, i suppose actually signing up couldnt be that bad

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2010, 09:26:05 pm »
I am waiting patiently for the elections then I shall sign up
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Tsukinya

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2010, 07:12:44 pm »
Ok, so I'm totally new to the staff idea.  I've been to the past two cons, and I'd love to be more involved!  I'd be excited to be one of the staff..... but.... I'm not willing at this point to give up my con time.  I've already pre-reg'd for next year, and I'm one of the crazies who show up for the first events at 8am and stay until 2am.  However, I know staff are in much need, and I really want to help.  Are there any jobs that can be done before and/or after con?  I've also heard of people talking about official con photographers.  I'm an excellent amateur photographer with my own equipment, and I'd be happy to do that, provided I have the freedom to attend con as well as help out.  I'd even be happy to do both! (help organize/clean up and photograph).  I don't really know what sort of positions are available.  Does anyone have any insight to this?  I'm considering attending the 9/26 staff meeting...  Thanks!!

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2010, 10:22:02 am »
So everyone who showed interest in this thread, keep your eyes open for the next scheduled meeting.

We should be able to sign up for staff at the next meeting or the one after that!
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2010, 10:27:24 am »
It sounds like there are going to be some major reorganizations amongst potential staffing positions/areas, so I wouldn't be surprised if it takes until the Nov. meeting for new Directors to get all that sorted out, especially if in that process they wish to involve the additional positions they will elect amongst themselves.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline CookieCrisis

• Oni
« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2010, 03:33:42 pm »
What is the age limit?
Kumoricon 2012 cosplay plans:
Twilight Sparkle-MLP
Hannah (maybe)-Kuroshitsuji II
Katara Fire Nation- AtLA

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2010, 10:04:30 am »
What is the age limit?

You need to be at least 16yr old to staff.  You can volunteer if you are under, though...
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline CookieCrisis

• Oni
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2010, 10:06:17 pm »
Darn, I'm only 14 >.< oh well.... what do you do if you volunteer?
Twilight Sparkle-MLP
Katara Fire Nation- AtLA

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2010, 04:19:13 am »
Darn, I'm only 14 >.< oh well.... what do you do if you volunteer?

Actually, that mostly depends on what you'd like to do!

This early in the game, we still have pretty much everything wide-open - almost any department would love to have you. Whatever your favorite aspect of Kumoricon is, we can probably find a way for you to work with that department.  :)

Drop a line to volunteer@kumoricon.org, and we'll do our best to get you hooked up.
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline CookieCrisis

• Oni
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2010, 03:37:28 pm »
Okay, Thanks :D I've only been to Kumoricon once so I'm not sure what I like yet but I'll see
Twilight Sparkle-MLP
Katara Fire Nation- AtLA

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2010, 04:42:13 pm »
hint: The yojimbo office loves suprise drop in volunteers
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline Pchan

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 12:44:03 pm »
I think it would be fun to work on staff, Just turned 18 on the 4th so I've got less limitations with my parents riding me. - I dunno if I'm even going to Kcon this year though.
n/a

Offline miko murphy

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2011, 09:29:08 am »
I want to be on staff  ;D. I got lost trying to get to the Salem meeting  ??? though. this would be my first time signing up for staff and I was wondering what are good positions for a beginner?
2009 attendee 2010 attendee 2011 info booth staff

Offline Rayndance

• Oni
    • Ashley's Photography
« Reply #27 on: March 03, 2011, 09:13:31 pm »

Squee! I'm really excited to be staff for Kumoricon. I just moved to Oregon about 6 months ago from Nebraska and I'm totally thrilled to be here! I can't wait to start meeting some more new, awesome people. My name is Ashley, by the way, so nice to meet all of you! -^_^-

Offline MEDIC!!!

• Sailor Scout
    • FBook
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 11:22:16 pm »
I can has yoji?
1f u c4n r34d th1s u r34lly n33d t0 G37 L41D
Liquid Snake: There's A Killer Inside You
I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer.
Boom Baby Boom! I'm The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight

Offline Mog

• Cabbit
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 07:00:32 pm »
I'm so excite to staff next year. I just need to make it to the first meeting this year that isn't elections >w< Next year is going to be sooooo much fun :D

Offline thesirensings

• Catgirl
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2011, 01:02:42 am »
I would actually be interested in joining staff. However, I promised my brother I'd take him to Kumoricon for his birthday. As he also happens to be my autistic brother, I think I'll already be busy looking after him.

I might be able to help the staff out with something, though, if looking after my brother takes far less effort than I think it will. When next Kumoricon rolls around, I will have finished my first year as a Massage Therapy student. I'm willing to offer my massage skills to staff who may need it. ^o^

Every breath you take and every move you make, every bond you break, every step you take, I'LL BE WATCHING YOU.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2011, 08:58:52 pm »
I've been attending since 2004, and been throwing around the idea of joining for the last three conventions. I really want to consider it this year, so please point me in the direction of where to get more information on becoming staff and what I'd be doing and everything that comes with becoming staff. Please and thanks. =D

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #32 on: December 07, 2011, 03:20:09 am »
We'd definitely love to have you on board. A lot of what you'd be doing would revolve around what you're interested in - we have all sorts of positions, especially this early on. The positions are listed here: http://www.kumoricon.org/open-positions

If you want to know more, one good way would be to come to our next staff meeting: http://www.kumoricon.org/calendar?kcmonth=12&kcyear=2011&kcday=10 There's even a staff holiday party afterward. :)

Once the "official" part of the meeting is over and we go into breakouts, you'll need to approach the Director of the department you'd be working with. You can find out who your Director would be from the positions chart (the first link), and you can tell who's who because they each give a report during the official part of the meeting. He or she can tell you about the position, and/or might point you to the manager of your specific area to find out more.

(Fair warning, the Directors will probably be super-busy with people signing up at this meeting, since it's the first meeting where people can sign up for the year. It may take a little while. One way to speed up the process would be to ask around... someone may know who the manager is for your area, in which case they'd be the best person to talk to.)

You'll also need to fill out a staff form: http://www.kumoricon.org/files/forms/2012/staff_registration_2012.pdf  You can print one out ahead of time and fill it out, or you can always just grab one at the meeting - we'll have them there as well. You'll need the Director of your department to initial off on your form to show that you've been approved, then you bring it to the Treasurer to pay the $10 staff fee.

Staff benefits, and I hope someone will correct me if I forgot anything:
Discounted room rate - it's not a hefty discount, but every little bit helps.
Con suite - if you're too busy running around to get food, come see these guys and they'll make sure you get something to eat before you fall over.
Priority seating for all of the main events - no more missing events, or getting a seat too far away to see anything.
Staff lanyard and custom badge - you get to choose the image that appears on your badge, as long as it's family-friendly.
Voting rights in Altonimbus Entertainment - getting to help decide who runs the show.
Getting to be "behind the scenes" and know that you're a vital part of your friends having a great time. It might sound silly, but this is probably the best benefit of all.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2011, 02:32:39 pm by @random »

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #33 on: December 07, 2011, 09:17:29 pm »
Wow.... I had no idea there was so much. A quick question, is there anyway someone could do more than one? For instance, I'd love to do Maid Squad, but I'd also love to do something else when I'm not needed for Maid Squad.

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2011, 03:50:07 am »
Absolutely! A lot of us take on more than one role, especially if it's a combination of pre-con and post-con work. Just be careful not to take on so much that you don't have time to sleep - that does happen sometimes.

(Then there are the really insane people, the Directors... which I gather is much like taking on a little bit of every role in your department.)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2011, 03:29:45 pm »
How should I go about that? Maybe get signed up for one and then talk to my director about what else/when I can be of use in another department, and then get signed up with another director?  ;D

Offline BigGuy

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2011, 03:39:44 pm »
Publicity and Registration are probably the two biggest pre-con departments, at con every Department is going full steam, if you can come to one of the General meetings to talk to the Directors we can find out which jobs fit you best.
And now I'm a catgirl?

My own voice faltered
 -Lagoon Engine Einsatz-

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #37 on: December 10, 2011, 04:05:15 pm »
I have offically turned in my form to become a staff memeber for Kumoricon 2012. WHEE~ =D

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2011, 08:45:46 am »
Congrats!!  :)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #39 on: December 24, 2011, 02:00:02 pm »
Question: Should I register now or should I wait to be approved for staff to register?

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #40 on: December 24, 2011, 06:21:02 pm »
Question: Should I register now or should I wait to be approved for staff to register?

Staff status includes convention attendance... don't register separately as an attendee.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #41 on: December 27, 2011, 02:22:12 am »
I would actually be interested in joining staff. However, I promised my brother I'd take him to Kumoricon for his birthday. As he also happens to be my autistic brother, I think I'll already be busy looking after him.

I might be able to help the staff out with something, though, if looking after my brother takes far less effort than I think it will. When next Kumoricon rolls around, I will have finished my first year as a Massage Therapy student. I'm willing to offer my massage skills to staff who may need it. ^o^

I have an answer then! If you have some free time between events and looking after your brother; join volunteers. If you want some more info just email volunteers@kumoricon.org. I can give you any details you need :) We could also possibly work something out for you to be staff (maybe even your brother if he wants). I hope to hear from you soon 8)

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline Koopa

• Cabbit
« Reply #42 on: December 27, 2011, 02:25:51 am »
I can has yoji?

Idk Medic, we already have enough shanagins (spelling?) from you :p (its Tristan btw)

<(._<) ^(._.)^ (>_.)>

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #43 on: December 27, 2011, 08:13:32 am »
I can has yoji?

Idk Medic, we already have enough shanagins (spelling?) from you :p (its Tristan btw)
*shenanigans ;)
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #44 on: January 11, 2012, 10:02:39 pm »
How do you know when you've offically been accepted as staff?  :o :o :o

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #45 on: January 11, 2012, 10:21:06 pm »
How do you know when you've offically been accepted as staff?  :o :o :o

You will receive an email at the address you specified when registering. The registrations from the last meeting will be processed in the next few days--sorry, there have been some delays in this.

Offline Swift

• Oni
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2012, 12:33:31 pm »
I got the email, but for example if you signed up for maybe a few diffrent staff options, or forgot what position you signed up for, is there a way to find out?

Thanks
Speeding by I make no sound,
Running above the shaken ground.
Seeing the hallow world collide,
My heart breaking deep inside.

Swift, The Flying_Shadow~

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2012, 12:36:49 pm »
The emails have not been sent out yet (for 2012). This is coming in a few days. You'll receive a link to the private staff area which will contain a staff directory and your personal details and position.

Offline Swift

• Oni
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2012, 12:47:33 pm »
Oh ok.. I got some email for staff list.. alright. Ill be waiting on that then.

Thanks again. :)
Speeding by I make no sound,
Running above the shaken ground.
Seeing the hallow world collide,
My heart breaking deep inside.

Swift, The Flying_Shadow~

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2012, 12:52:03 pm »
Yep, the mailing list is separate from the staff directory. Normally we process these a few days after each meeting, it is just the delay this time as we finish changing over to the new system.