Author Topic: A question or two about English songs.  (Read 3501 times)

Offline emasik

• Sailor Scout
A question or two about English songs.
« on: June 19, 2010, 02:51:21 pm »
So then, it's the basic idea to choose (primarily) Japanese songs, and ones that have been created expressly for anime etc. Though my question is, would it be alright to do an English song that has been featured in an anime? I'm quite fond of Serial Experiments Lain, and I was thinking of Duvet by the non-asian BOA. What's the consensus on that? :3

Offline Chiroyo

• Chibi
    • My deviantART
Re: A question or two about English songs.
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:41:27 pm »
uhh, I'm not an admin or anything, but here's the section of the rules pertaining to song selection. hope it helps=3

Songs must be from the following categories: Anime, Video game, J-rock/J-pop, K-pop, C-pop or Filk. (Filks—anime-themed song parodies—will only be allowed during the Karaoke Cosplay Hybrid contest).

English or other non-Japanese songs from the dubbed version of an anime series or video game are acceptable. (For example: The German theme to Sailor Moon, or songs from Robotech.)

English songs which were not originally created for an anime series, or straight covers of such songs (for example, Fly Me to the Moon, or a “popular” song used as an anime series theme song) are not allowed. English songs which are significantly changed or adapted from the original version (for example, has Japanese lyrics) might be okay. If you are in doubt as to whether a song is acceptable for the contest, please ask us before signing up, and we will make a ruling.

Be prepared to sing at least two different songs. If two people make it to the final round with the same song, one or both will be asked to sing an alternate for the final round. You may sing your first choice for the audition round.

You may sing the same song for both the audition and the final round. Contestants competing in both Kumoricon Idol and Karaoke Cosplay Hybrid must have a different song for each contest. At auditions, you will be required to sing a piece from both styles so that you can be judged for each category separately.

Songs are limited to the following lengths:

•Audition round:
◦Individuals – 2.5 minutes (TV version, or 1 verse and 1 chorus)
■Individuals competing in both contests – 3 minutes (For both pieces)
◦Groups – 4 minutes
•Final round: 6 minutes.
Songs longer than these limits will be faded out when the limit is reached. If the contestant wishes a song to be faded out early, he/she must indicate so to the Karaoke staff either by placing the microphone back on the stand and bowing to the audience, or giving the “engine shutdown” (hand across the throat) signal.
cosplay 2011

Offline Haru

• Cabbit
Re: A question or two about English songs.
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010, 06:42:29 pm »
Yes that is an acceptable song. If you are planning to enter the contest with it i will ask you to have a karaoke version of the song. Thanks you.

<2012 Karaoke Manager>