Author Topic: Planning to join staff? Do it now!  (Read 14232 times)

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
Planning to join staff? Do it now!
« on: June 18, 2010, 09:53:01 pm »
There is NO CAP on staff, but there is a DEADLINE.  Because we have to order things like staff shirts and staff lanyards, and do things like staff TRAINING, we need everyone who intends to be staff to register as early as possible.

Please sign up by the meeting in July (which will include a barbecue).

If you can't do that, sign up at the FIRST meeting in August.  This is the "hard" deadline.

If you can't do that, you are still welcome to volunteer, and your contribution will be acknowledged, but certain staff benefits (such as T-shirt, staff badge, and staff lanyard), will not be available.

Here's how!
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 09:54:23 pm by kjayers »
2015 Secretary & MSO Manager
2014 Secretary & MSO Manager
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary
2008 Assistant Secretary & Parliamentarian

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
Re: Planning to join staff? Do it now!
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 02:13:03 pm »
What is with all the meetings in salem/eugene the last 3~ months?  That takes up to much time to go to for some people, esp. if they don't have their own transportation and have to bum rides.  :(

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2010, 06:43:35 pm »
What is with all the meetings in salem/eugene the last 3~ months?  That takes up to much time to go to for some people, esp. if they don't have their own transportation and have to bum rides.  :(

When we set the tentative meeting schedule at the beginning of the year, we consider the people for whom Portland/Vancouver is a long trip, and we schedule a few of the meetings for more southern venues. 
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline @random

• Bunnygirl
    • Google+
    • Cosplay.com account, dreadfully outdated
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2010, 06:44:27 pm »
(derail)

I hear ya. Try living in Seattle and getting to a Eugene meeting while working the day before and/or after. (^_~)

But since the con's roots are in Eugene with UO and there are still a lot of Eugenites, the idea is to split it so that they aren't always the ones who have to make the road trip or bum a ride. Better to let everyone attend some meetings than to let some people attend every meeting.

(/derail)

Out of curiosity, will people who miss the hard deadline still be allowed to work in non-heavy-duty staff roles, just without the benefits or the Official Title?
This is my serious voice. Otherwise, I'm just another anime fan, not a moderator.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2010, 06:55:14 pm »
I would love to see some form of skype meeting setup for those long trips to eugene

for us portland/beaverton/etc people who dont want top drive 2 hours each way
for a 20 minute meeting

Just my 2 cents
Yojimbo Assistant Manager, Hopeless Flirt
Work: Monday-Friday 12:30-9:39pm
We don't need Kira... we have kylite.  - randompvg

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2010, 02:03:44 pm »
*snip*
Out of curiosity, will people who miss the hard deadline still be allowed to work in non-heavy-duty staff roles, just without the benefits or the Official Title?

Absolutely!

If you can't [make the registration deadline], you are still welcome to volunteer, and your contribution will be acknowledged, but certain staff benefits (such as T-shirt, staff badge, and staff lanyard), will not be available.

Here's how to register!

PS @kylite: Maybe someday, but there isn't anything in the works right now.  Sorry.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2010, 02:05:45 pm by kjayers »
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2010, 07:46:50 pm »
Ya, I was wondering why there was no webcam/skype at the meeting.  Easy to set up using blogtv or ustream or something. 

On the first note, I realize why we have the meetings down there, I just wondered why there were so many in a row down there.

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2010, 05:15:57 pm »

YEP!
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline jessieku

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2010, 11:18:02 pm »
I was wondering if you still had any opening that deal with photography? If you do then I would love to volunteer but there is not much else I am really go at.

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2010, 04:58:15 pm »
I was wondering if you still had any opening that deal with photography? If you do then I would love to volunteer but there is not much else I am really go at.

Contact publicity@kumoricon.org about the requirements for Photography Staff.
2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline zetetic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 12:48:25 pm »
I know that for this year, asking to be staff is a little late... but I would love to join the staff for next year. I really enjoyed myself at the con and would love to be a part of what made that convention a possibility. So how do I go about doing that? Do I just request being staff when I sign up for my badge in December?? I'm a really curious ( now Non-Convirgin ^ ^) and would love to help out.
"Only Shinigamis who know the significance of life will be granted Shinigami glasses... The glasses of Life..." (for which without,I can't see a damned thing)

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2010, 01:29:36 pm »
You need to come to at least one of the general meetings throughout the year to sign up as staff.
Did you volunteer any this year?

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2010, 02:43:40 pm »
I know that for this year, asking to be staff is a little late... but I would love to join the staff for next year. I really enjoyed myself at the con and would love to be a part of what made that convention a possibility. So how do I go about doing that? Do I just request being staff when I sign up for my badge in December?? I'm a really curious ( now Non-Convirgin ^ ^) and would love to help out.

As soon as the new Board is in place, and we do a quick review of staff policies, Kcon will be set up to sign up staff. 

I encourage everyone to shop around departments and find a job that really suits them.  Directors may decide that certain staff positions are only up to people with prior staffing experience.  Though, if you sign up early you have months and months to get up to speed, get a good variety of positions to choose from and can come to any staff parties or dinners we have during the year. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2010, 07:34:17 pm »
*points to the very large empty space where yoji need to be* FILL ER UP!

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2010, 08:56:30 pm »
*points to the very large empty space where yoji need to be* FILL ER UP!

Yoji squad was amazing this year.  Get us all of those lot back and we are set.  The ones I worked with were great.  Especially the guy who was stuck watching dealers hall overnight.  
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 09:00:21 pm by Rathany »
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2010, 09:30:54 pm »
Nobody was stuck specifically watching dealers' hall during the night. We had private security for that. Though, we had one watching the gaming exit for the times that it was open. (He was sitting at the end of the main ramp where people entered the dealer's hall during the day)

But ya, I am bugging a lot of them to return next year. And most of the good ones have already agreed to. Aside from some drama here and there, we Yojis are usually a dedicated group.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2010, 10:25:54 pm »
Nobody was stuck specifically watching dealers' hall during the night. We had private security for that. Though, we had one watching the gaming exit for the times that it was open. (He was sitting at the end of the main ramp where people entered the dealer's hall during the day)

But ya, I am bugging a lot of them to return next year. And most of the good ones have already agreed to. Aside from some drama here and there, we Yojis are usually a dedicated group.

He was also watching that one entrance into the hall.  I know about the private security, I was the one who contracted them :)
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2010, 11:02:13 pm »
You're probably talking about Brian, Dawn. Was he dressed as the Old Spice guy? (I.E. wearing a towel?) :P
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2010, 11:12:54 pm »
You're probably talking about Brian, Dawn. Was he dressed as the Old Spice guy? (I.E. wearing a towel?) :P

Nope, though I did see him Brian elsewhere. 
2008 - Vice Chair
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline LexManos

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2010, 12:08:43 am »
Timber was down there for a large chunk of the night.
Tall guy, had a wolf mask thing, trench coat.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 06:40:54 pm by LexManos »

Offline zetetic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2010, 01:16:09 pm »
You need to come to at least one of the general meetings throughout the year to sign up as staff.
Did you volunteer any this year?

Unfortunately no. But I'm going to try my hardest to make it to some of those meetings.!
"Only Shinigamis who know the significance of life will be granted Shinigami glasses... The glasses of Life..." (for which without,I can't see a damned thing)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2010, 01:24:10 pm »
As soon as the new Board is in place, and we do a quick review of staff policies, Kcon will be set up to sign up staff. 
That's great. :) Would you be thinking, October meeting? Or November?
Are staff policies, unlike bylaws, something that can be modified just within the Board, without going to a vote? Do you need any additional betas? (I helped beta the bylaws when then-Chair Mike formed a committee.)
I encourage everyone to shop around departments and find a job that really suits them. 
Great idea. A lot of people (myself included) don't even know what kinds of positions/opportunities are available in other departments besides whatever they've been in before, and probably don't even know all the options within that.
Directors may decide that certain staff positions are only up to people with prior staffing experience.  Though, if you sign up early you have months and months to get up to speed, get a good variety of positions to choose from and can come to any staff parties or dinners we have during the year. 
Agreed, plus, another good idea is see if you can come to any of the public mini-events & volunteer to "try on" your potential staff role there.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline kjayers

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2010, 07:55:19 am »
That's great. :) Would you be thinking, October meeting? Or November?
I'll be pushing for as soon as possible, but it depends on when the various Board Members will be able to assemble for said review.

Are staff policies, unlike bylaws, something that can be modified just within the Board, without going to a vote? Do you need any additional betas? (I helped beta the bylaws when then-Chair Mike formed a committee.)
Correct.  The bylaws empower the Board to set policies. There technically is a vote, just not of the Membership.

I encourage everyone to shop around departments and find a job that really suits them. 
Great idea. A lot of people (myself included) don't even know what kinds of positions/opportunities are available in other departments besides whatever they've been in before, and probably don't even know all the options within that.
Exactly!  This is the purpose of the Open Positions page: so people can find out what kinds of positions/opportunities are available.

2010 Secretary
2009 Secretary

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2010, 08:52:26 am »
Cool.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2010, 06:32:42 pm »

Yup, you guys usually are, and we greatly appreciate it!
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline zetetic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2010, 01:12:07 pm »
The only question I have right at the moment , I don't have transportation to get to the meetings at this present time. I am working on getting driving hours to get my license but until then I'm pretty much bumming rides.. So how does that work out?  Can I still be a staff member if I am unable to go to all the staff meetings? How many meetings are required to attend if you can't attend all? I still desperately want to be a part of the staff for 2011 but I'm afraid of missing meetings. Is there anything I can do besides regularly checking in through the forums? I'm just curious but I'd hate for something like transportation get in the way of volunteering for the greatest experience.

Offline kylite

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2010, 01:14:15 pm »
Atleast one General Meeting and Training is required to be staff last time I checked.

Other then that just keep in contact with your Director and Managers

Offline zetetic

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2010, 01:08:18 pm »
Atleast one General Meeting and Training is required to be staff last time I checked.

Other then that just keep in contact with your Director and Managers

Alright thanks!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2010, 07:12:11 am »
It helps to find one that's closest to where you live (obviously), but you'll also want to try to find one a.s.a.p., so that you can get into the feeling of staff better, which is quite helpful for many positions.  The one coming up this Sunday will be kinda near the Lloyd Center Mall, so if you can get near there, please come!  (It's within walking distance of the MAX line, which is a bonus!)
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh