Author Topic: Who wants to help me run a panel at K-con 2010?  (Read 6239 times)

Offline RoscoeTEHclam

• Chibi
Who wants to help me run a panel at K-con 2010?
« on: September 10, 2009, 08:42:08 pm »
i want to have a panel at kumoricon 2010, but i don't know what it should be. any ideas? anyone want to host a panel with me?

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
Re: Who wants to help me run a panel at K-con 2010?
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 11:42:22 pm »
my panel/website Oftenly Renamed runs what we call a panel network. this is completely new, and will be starting for next years panels. if you would like to be a part of it, PM me.

Basically we sponsor panels by having people come in and help you set up, or even become a part of the panel.
all we ask for is our name in the description, or title of your panel.

such as oftenly renamed presents:
or presented by oftenly renamed..

basically we will offer our services for whatever you may need help with.

Offline RoscoeTEHclam

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 05:39:48 pm »
 ;D neato!

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 06:28:50 pm »
you beat me to it cthulhu i was going to tell him to talk to you well anyways i will help you

Offline RoscoeTEHclam

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 06:58:43 pm »
I don't know anything about how to register for a panel, and I'm still working on ideas for what to do

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 10:17:45 pm »
there is a panel registration form, and you can also register for a panelist badge, which is a ton cheaper.

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2009, 07:08:28 pm »
I don't know anything about how to register for a panel, and I'm still working on ideas for what to do

After elections, talk to the Prog Directer and that person can help you.  Panel forms are not yet available for next year. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2009, 07:35:12 pm »
Make a panel for making masks for the masquerade ball :)

Offline Kristy

• Cabbit
    • The Echo Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2009, 07:43:18 pm »
Coming from someone that has hosted a lot of panels, make sure that you're hosting one for the right reasons.  Putting on a panel is harder than a lot of people might think.  It took weeks of preparation for me to get everything together for the three I hosted this year.  Sure, it's fun, and it's gratifying. . . But you want to pick a topic that you know about and preferably are passionate about.  I don't understand putting on a panel about a topic that you don't know very well.

So, that's what I'd say.  If you're going to do a panel, really put some thought into it.  Make sure it's something you're passionate about.  You want people to come back, so put the work in.  Make it entertaining, but also informative.

Just my two cents. :)
Check out the TEC voice over auditions being held at KumoriCon this year: http://teccomic.com/auditions/

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2009, 10:05:50 am »
Coming from someone that has hosted a lot of panels, make sure that you're hosting one for the right reasons.  Putting on a panel is harder than a lot of people might think.  It took weeks of preparation for me to get everything together for the three I hosted this year.  Sure, it's fun, and it's gratifying. . . But you want to pick a topic that you know about and preferably are passionate about.  I don't understand putting on a panel about a topic that you don't know very well.

So, that's what I'd say.  If you're going to do a panel, really put some thought into it.  Make sure it's something you're passionate about.  You want people to come back, so put the work in.  Make it entertaining, but also informative.

Agreed.
Our panel is a discussion panel about con-going, anime, manga, and general otaku stuff.
i think thats why we had a decent amount of traffic, as we were at a convention full of otaku.

Offline HardstyleZombie

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2009, 05:35:55 pm »
so think about what you know alot about and start it we can find some one to help you that also knows alot about it

Offline melchizedek

• Bunnygirl
    • Don't play with fire
« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2009, 09:13:38 am »
Sometimes, just being a facilitator for people is fun too.  Look at the anime that scarred me for life panel.  Mostly of it is people sharing their stories.
Yaoi crossplay... is actually Yuri.

Offline THE POPE

• Cabbit
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2009, 06:48:49 pm »
i dont know some of the most entertaining panels i went to were pretty aimless lol but im always looking forward to seeing new panels so keep us con-goers updated
I'LL ALLOW IT

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2009, 02:15:11 pm »

While this is true, there are a lot of panels out there that are hosted by people who don't have any particular qualifications except they know how to lead a group in having a good time.  These types of panels usually fall into the "meet and greet" category or the "discussion and screwing around" category.

Either way, your panel will benefit greatly from 5-10 hours of pre-con preparation, or more. But not all panels have to be led by experts.

Another type of panel you can run without being an expert on a subject is a game panel. Game show knockoffs and trivia games are both popular these days.  However, those often require MUCH more than 10 hours of preparation, and you still have to know what you're doing, which means research.
A member of Eugene Cosplayers. Come hang out with us.

Kumori Con 2010 Cosplays:

Link (The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess)
Apollo Justice

Offline RoscoeTEHclam

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2009, 12:18:28 pm »
the leading idea right now could be described as a "narration contest"
take a random funny or awesome image, and have panel-goers come up with witty captions.
for each picture, the person with the best caption wins a prize

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2009, 01:38:46 am »
take a random funny or awesome image, and have panel-goers come up with witty captions.

That's a great idea; I've seen it done on the internetz before. :)

Would people's narrations be written down, or spoken on the spot?  (Personally, I recommend written.)

Apollo Justice

Offline RoscoeTEHclam

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2009, 07:09:03 pm »

That's a great idea; I've seen it done on the internetz before. :)

Would people's narrations be written down, or spoken on the spot?  (Personally, I recommend written.)

Nothing set in stone as of yet. why do you think I'm asking you guys

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2009, 02:33:12 am »
Nothing set in stone as of yet. why do you think I'm asking you guys

Well, you have my first suggestion in my last post. Anything in particular you want to ask our opinions on?

Apollo Justice

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 12:53:38 pm »
if you would like, we can sponsor your panel.
that is a really great idea.

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2009, 06:13:23 pm »

we could do  a "name that sushi!" where contestants take a bite of sushi blindfolded and try to figure out what type it is.

Save Caprica!!

Offline Radien

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 02:13:00 am »
we could do  a "name that sushi!" where contestants take a bite of sushi blindfolded and try to figure out what type it is.

Just be aware that having food at panels often leads to various hoops you have to jump through. I'm not sure what exactly, but it'd be a good idea to ask.

Apollo Justice

Offline xcthulhux

• Bunnygirl
    • MAI BLOG
« Reply #21 on: November 24, 2009, 03:14:57 am »

Just be aware that having food at panels often leads to various hoops you have to jump through. I'm not sure what exactly, but it'd be a good idea to ask.
this.
a lot of people are allergic to fish.

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: November 24, 2009, 01:19:46 pm »
I love fish...

Save Caprica!!

Offline RoscoeTEHclam

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »
It's looking like i wont be able to have the panel this year, but i have a great idea of what to do. It will be a caption contest sort of thing, and will primarily serve as a way to recruit members for my new idea for an otaku group. Basically, think Mystery Science Theater 3000, but with anime. Testing has proved it to be a good idea to execute it as a club that meets monthly (or more often) to watch and satirically comment on what we're watching.