Author Topic: fan creation station brainstorming  (Read 11084 times)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
fan creation station brainstorming
« on: July 16, 2005, 11:21:37 pm »
anyone check out the beta station at last year's kumoricon? or the artists' den at sakuracon? the same fine folks are bringing you the fan creation station at this year's kumoricon. and you are all welcome to help us plan exactly what will be offered there this year!

we will have a dedicated room, all con, for on-site creation of, sharing of, contests regarding, and opportunities to showcase for others through live performance, visual art, written art, spoken word art and acting!

improvisational writing/ drama games and spontaneous art contests are part of the fun :) for those looking to learn more about fan-fiction specifically, we'll be having at least 2 panels/workshops.

there will also be times on the schedule specifically for hanging out and writing, beta reading (sophisticated editing of fanfics), networking, drawing..........and during the times that there is not anything pre-set on the schedule, anyone who wishes can come propose an activity and just make it up on the spot!

what would you like to see happen? what have you enjoyed in the past, at our or other cons? what would you prefer to see avoided?

looking forward to hearing from folks,
rem.
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2005, 01:12:26 pm »
Sudden Hour-long Drawing contests are always fun ^_^ THough it seems hard to get people to enter unless you really play it up around the convention with the artists....

What about making a Live-action performance thing if you can find enough willing people and making some sort of contest with Sudden Acting out Fanfics.

You give them a good fanfic (good = dialouge and stuff they can act out) that they have never read or was created there today. And then they read it outloud, sort of acting at the same time.

Those sound fun ^_^
Sweet Times

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 06:06:47 pm »
Quote from: "sassy_lassy"
Sudden Hour-long Drawing contests are always fun ^_^ THough it seems hard to get people to enter unless you really play it up around the convention with the artists....

well, we're not so much going for numbers, as for how much fun it is for those who do choose to participate. however, our wonderful volunteer amanda is making some posters advertising some of our activities, and we'll be mentioned in the con programming book. really, word of mouth is how we thrive :)

Quote from: "sassy_lassy"
What about making a Live-action performance thing if you can find enough willing people and making some sort of contest with Sudden Acting out Fanfics.

You give them a good fanfic (good = dialouge and stuff they can act out) that they have never read or was created there today. And then they read it outloud, sort of acting at the same time.

Those sound fun ^_^

dear! you read our minds! this year, we are debuting "fanfiction theatre", in which folks are going to cosplay their fics. not that many people know it is happening, so not that many people will be pulling it together to have practiced ahead of time. it is absolutely my fantasy that folks will just be so inspired by reading each others' fics, or admiring each others' costumes, or whatnot, that they will just gel into exactly what you suggested, spontaneously deciding to act out fics!

would you like to help us make this happen?

we'd love to have you! as a contestant, event volunteer, planner, whatever you wish.

write back here, pm me, and/or join our kumoricon_fanfiction yahoo group!

anyone else?
love,
rem.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2005, 02:37:07 pm »
^_^ Ideas...

First day of the con, have people gather in the beta station, or whatever it's being called this year, and have them draw computer paper size flyers to promote Fanfiction. I can do a couple for an example for the people. We can give a prize (which I'll provide if we do this) to the person who had the most unique poster.

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Densha_Rockstar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2005, 05:52:53 am »
Have a whiteboard. With some dry-erase markers. Let the imagination of the fans run free. Fly fly!  8)

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2005, 04:43:14 pm »
Quote from: "the_wind_the_sea"
^_^ Ideas...

First day of the con, have people gather in the beta station, or whatever it's being called this year, and have them draw computer paper size flyers to promote Fanfiction. I can do a couple for an example for the people. We can give a prize (which I'll provide if we do this) to the person who had the most unique poster.

excellent idea!
except what is computer paper size?

are you refering to poster board?

i got quite literally over a hundred markers donated, so we can all color to our hearts' content!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2005, 04:44:45 pm »
Quote from: "Densha_Rockstar"
Have a whiteboard. With some dry-erase markers. Let the imagination of the fans run free. Fly fly!  8)

well i don't actually think the markers i got donated are dry erase board markers. however, there are dry erase boards built into the rooms! either at hotel rates, or whereever else we can find them ahead of time, we can get dry erase markers for them, and/or big like desk calendar size pads of newsprint or whatnot, that can be clipped to the dry erase boards (which hang on the walls in various spots around the room)

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2005, 05:03:22 pm »
Oh, I saw this on Black Albino Sheep...
Chalk Board Fights. xDD

http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/image/chalkboard/

-shrug- It would be intresting.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2005, 04:48:34 pm »
wow neko-chan! that's amazing! that would be sooooooo fun! though we don't have a chalkboard, but ......other formats could work.

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2005, 05:17:58 pm »
just a reminder: our Fan Creation Station (last year it was the Beta Station) will have not only fanfic contests, but art contests, as well!

these are the categories that are announced before the con:
best canon-based character, scene or universe
and
best original character, scene or universe

digital, non-digital color, and non-digital black and white art will be evaluated separately.

all art media are welcome.

nothing rated x or nc-17, please.

there will also be spontaneous additional contests throughout the weekend.

each category will be evaluated both by me as judge, and by peers/congoers.

art may be submitted to me ahead of time (online or by snail mail; pm me or post if interested); or it may be brought to the con and submitted at the fan creation station.

art will be accepted through 9pm the sunday of the con. however, public voting will begin 9pm the saturday of the con, so the earlier you get your piece turned in, the better your chances of getting votes from the public.

the fan creation station will have free materials available for those who want to make non-digital art on-site: pencils, pens, paper, markers, crayons.

for those who wish to submit art they have online, there is a tiny office right at the entry to the con hotel that has a free computer and printer.

looking forward to seeing your work!

love,
Rem.

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2005, 05:29:50 pm »
Quote from: "RemSaverem"
^_^ Ideas...

excellent idea!
except what is computer paper size?

are you refering to poster board?

i got quite literally over a hundred markers donated, so we can all color to our hearts' content!

The paper that you use in a home printer. ^_^;; But, is me cooking something as a prize alright?

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2005, 05:38:22 pm »
:shock: you cook, too? how do you ever find the time? don't you sleep??
***hires someone to peek and see if the_wind_the_sea is wearing a wig to cover chobits ears*** are you a persicom???
...............in other words yes of course silly!

anyone can bring prizes.......in fact i'm creating so many contest categories that i figure i'll have to bring a bunch of stuff of my own to give away in case the con doesn't have enough schwag (this was the case at sakuracon)...i'm all about rewarding effort and enthusiasm and creativity so yeah......go for it......anyone!

in fact, i'm all for people besides me giving prizes based on their own evaluations!!

and the prizes could be certificates that the awarders create themselves.....

yeah! let's get creative with this!!!

at the artists den at sakuracon, i let everyone create their own humorous categories for extra mock "prizes" at fanfic bedtime stories. things like, oh, best use of the grim reaper as a sex object.......fic i hope to never hear again.....the wierdest categories you could imagine.

what if we encourage anyone who wants to to be another "judge" for any of the contests, able to award any (non-hurtful, non-x-rated) "title" to any fic, either just verbally or with a certificate or their own creation?

fun eh?

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2005, 05:39:55 pm »
is me cooking something as a prize alright?

this reminds me......i won't have ANY money this year (last con and sakuracon i put in about 200 each of my own money).......anyone into helping bring bedtime snacks/ drinks for fanfiction bedtime stories?

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2005, 06:23:04 pm »
is me cooking something as a prize alright?

this reminds me......i won't have ANY money this year (last con and sakuracon i put in about 200 each of my own money).......anyone into helping bring bedtime snacks/ drinks for fanfiction bedtime stories?

Let's meet up, maybe hopefully, the night before the con or something, and we can go to a local store and get snacks. I'm hoping to have some money with me this year. Possibly around 200 dollars, if my job goes right.

I also have some stuff that I can throw in the pot for prizes. ^_^;; Yay for having random stuff you never use. ^_^;

But, what is everyone's favorite type of cookie or brownie? I need something to do this summer.

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2005, 06:28:20 pm »
you rock and roll and rule my world.
however, as of right now, i work 6:30 am to 4pm con friday, and 6:30 am til at least 9am con saturday. so the absolute earliest i could surface is noon con saturday.....oy vey! not to mention having zero money for a room! oy vey. hopefully someone else could help you shop?

i like lemon bars and magic 7 layer bars (with sweetened condensed milk coconut and butterscotch)

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2005, 06:31:50 pm »
you rock and roll and rule my world.
however, as of right now, i work 6:30 am to 4pm con friday, and 6:30 am til at least 9am con saturday. so the absolute earliest i could surface is noon con saturday.....oy vey! not to mention having zero money for a room! oy vey. hopefully someone else could help you shop?

i like lemon bars and magic 7 layer bars (with sweetened condensed milk coconut and butterscotch)

Find me the recipies and I shall get the stuff to make it!

I'll recruit Max....

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2005, 06:48:48 pm »
oy vey.....recipes are not my thing. can you look online?

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2005, 03:12:04 am »
We can have food at the bedtime story? I thought everything we brought in had to be prepackaged--that is, not homemade.

But hey, I'll bring stuff too! I cook all the time!

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2005, 12:45:32 pm »
Quote from: "BlackjackGabbiani"
We can have food at the bedtime story? I thought everything we brought in had to be prepackaged--that is, not homemade.

But hey, I'll bring stuff too! I cook all the time!

Yay! I won't be the only one cooking! This the list of stuff I'm planning on making.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
Chocolate Mint Snappers
Snickerdoodles
Peanut Butter Cookies
Lemon Bars
7 Layer Cookies (For Ellen)
Brownies
Random things I buy at the store.

Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2005, 02:24:20 pm »
you're both amazing.

well, i think there's a difference between what can be sold, and what can be given away. i also think there's a difference between what "the con" (and its staff such as myself) can provide and what people who pay to be there can share amongst themselves...if you get my drift.

also, this is a new hotel so i'm not sure what its policies are compared to last year's.

Offline BlackjackGabbiani

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2005, 08:11:56 pm »
We should ask before we bring in a host of baked goods.