Author Topic: 2010 Fanfic, Novel/Novella, Webcomic, & Manga Contest Rules  (Read 6502 times)

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
Hello ficcers and comic creators!

The 2010 Fanfiction contest is now open for submissions!  Link to the full rules - http://www.kumoricon.org/fanfiction-contest

My name is Kate and I'll be returning as the Fanfiction Coordinator this year! (We already have a ton of awesome panels planned for this year, some old, some new, some where you might use the colour blue! Kumoricon 2010 will be my 7th Kcon, my 13th anime con, and my 15th con total!

This is my 10th year writing fanfiction - a whole decade, kinda scary to be honest - and I'm super excited to be in charge of this contest for the second year.

We've already had one entry submitted, so I'm hoping to get some other early ones this year!

Our Judges this year are:
Ellen - Co-founder of the CS, with a background in writing, editing and Sci-Fi before she started attending anime cons as a panelist.
Robert - With a background in writing, editing, and Sci-Fi, he's a new addition to the judging this year.
Jeni - Is currently a graphic design student, but has been writing and reading fanfic for over 13 years. She also has a background in games, Sci-Fi, anime & manga, and some American comics (X-men mainly).
Kate - Personally I'm a history buff, and have been a Sci-Fi, Fantasy, & British Telly fan since I can remember. I got into anime & manga in elementary school, and started writing original fiction soon after. I also happen to work at a movie theatre, so I know movies pretty well too!

This year's deadlines:

Novellas and novel-length fics, and any manga or webcomic submissions over 50 pages must be submitted by Sunday, August 1st, 2010.

All snail mail submissions must be received by Saturday, August 14th, 2010 at the latest.

We encourage all e-mailed submissions to be sent by Saturday, August 28th, 2010 so we have time to send you a confirmation e-mail, and so we are sure we are able to open any attachments or use any links to find your submissions.

At-con submissions must be turned into a Fanfiction Contest Judge by 9:00 PM September 4th, 2010. (If you will not be attending the first day of the convention and have absolutely no other way to turn in your submission, please e-mail us, and we will try to work something out with you.)

Multimedia works may be turned in until the beginning of Fanfiction Bedtime Stories (Sunday Night), and will be judged by the FFBS audience.
Kate Fletcher
Assistant Director of Relations 2013
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
Re: 2010 Fanfic, Novel/Novella, Webcomic, & Manga Contest Rules
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2010, 02:19:04 pm »
Fabulous, thanks, Kate, and happy decade anniversary as a fanficcer!
Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline wankybloke

• Cabbit
    • Livejournal
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 03:52:40 pm »
Yay! Looking forward to entering for the first time since--Oh man. Uh. What year was it Kumoricon was in Springfield at the Doubletree? First time since then. XD

Harukaze Doremi from Ojamajo Doremi
Phillip from Kamen Rider W (Begins Night Costume)
Ai from Birth of Mewtwo
The Slender Man

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 04:57:59 pm »
Yay! Looking forward to entering for the first time since--Oh man. Uh. What year was it Kumoricon was in Springfield at the Doubletree? First time since then. XD
WOW! I thought I recognized your screen name. That was 2003! Welcome home!!
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline wankybloke

• Cabbit
    • Livejournal
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2010, 06:14:41 pm »
Haha, thank you! XD

I also remember meeting you when Gracie made "Otakucon" for her senior project. Looking forward to entering again! I've gone the last few years, but I had been writing much more DC fanfiction than Anime/Manga fanfiction. So it should be fun! :D

Harukaze Doremi from Ojamajo Doremi
Phillip from Kamen Rider W (Begins Night Costume)
Ai from Birth of Mewtwo
The Slender Man

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
Re: DEADLINES COMING UP
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 02:57:33 am »
Hey so we have our first deadline coming up in a little under a month! It's the Novel/ Novella and Webcomics deadline, so make sure you don't wait till the last minute!

Novel Length: 40,000+ words

Novella Length: 10,000 - 39,999 words

Webcomics: 50+ pages

Are all due by: Sunday, August 1st, 2010

Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline 66stripedboots

• Chibi
    • da
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 06:38:30 pm »
can the manga creation be done in pencil?

Visit my DA! http://butteredtoasttt.deviantart.com/
●▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬●
K-Con Cosplays ☆ {{Panty from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt<10%> ☆{{Kirigakure from Ao No Exorcist <10%>☆{{Ex-Boyfriend from Just Be Friends <10%>

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2010, 09:08:24 pm »

Yup, though if you can I would suggest making a photocopy or scan and print out a copy for submission. Rather than submitting your originals.
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline 66stripedboots

• Chibi
    • da
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2010, 06:30:11 pm »

Yup, though if you can I would suggest making a photocopy or scan and print out a copy for submission. Rather than submitting your originals.

Of course : ) thank you!

Visit my DA! http://butteredtoasttt.deviantart.com/
●▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬●
K-Con Cosplays ☆ {{Panty from Panty & Stocking with Garterbelt<10%> ☆{{Kirigakure from Ao No Exorcist <10%>☆{{Ex-Boyfriend from Just Be Friends <10%>

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2010, 06:53:55 pm »
Haha, thank you! XD

I also remember meeting you when Gracie made "Otakucon" for her senior project. Looking forward to entering again! I've gone the last few years, but I had been writing much more DC fanfiction than Anime/Manga fanfiction. So it should be fun! :D

Otakucon, was that the one-day con at a high school where I got 2nd place in the cosplay contest for my Integra, & the award was a cute drawing on a paper plate? I loved that little con :)

@ Kate:
Could you please approximate to how many pages such word counts equate?

@ 66stripedboots:
We have had winning manga entries that were entirely in pencil. In addition to Kate's suggestion, may I add that it would be wise to just be sure that everything is dark enough (not just art, but text), that it copies well.

For every category, we accept works-in-progress, & that includes manga. So, for example, if your work is presently just in pencil, but you intend to color it in later, let us know. It will be eligible either way, and we will be thrilled to receive it!

We also will have various art supplies available in the Creation Station for a substantial portion of the weekend, which may be used for not only art contest entries but also our Onsite Mini-Manga Contest. Anyone may enter manga in the Fanfic Contest and then also start a new project or two in our rooms during con for our Mini-Manga contest! Both are eligible for prizes.

For anyone who is submitting any manga, fanfic, or art for our art contests, who might want their entries back: It is always wise to either submit a copy to us and keep your original, or to make a copy for yourself before you submit your original. We cannot guarantee safe, unaltered return of your entries, though we will try to engage such, if you come to Creation Station during the scheduled time on Monday when we announce contest winners & give out prizes.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 07:02:03 pm by RemSaverem »

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 01:47:41 am »
Just submitted a doozy of a Novella. If I included the chapters not fit for human consumption it would be well into Novel territory but as I just stated, not fit for human consumption lol

Hope to see everyone there!

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 06:56:15 pm »
Just submitted a doozy of a Novella. If I included the chapters not fit for human consumption it would be well into Novel territory but as I just stated, not fit for human consumption lol

Hope to see everyone there!

AWESOME!
Thank you!

Reminder: As of this moment, it's still "on the books" that longer fics & longer webcomics are to be in by 8/1, aka, this Sunday. Due to the rules going up substantially later than we'd have liked, I would like to introduce at least a little flexibility here.
What I could imagine offering are these potential compromises:
(1) If someone has a longer fanfic, but for some reason, can't get it to us by 8/1, I would personally be willing to accept it within a 1-week grace period (i.e., until 8/8), especially if she or he lets us know, by 8/1, that it will be arriving by 8/8.
(2) If someone has a longer webcomic, but for some reason, can't get it to us by 8/1, the same grace period as (1) could apply; and/or, we could still accept the entry, but only evaluate the first up-to-50 pages.

How does everyone feel about these potential extensions?
Judges?
Potential participants?
Others?

I also would like to expand the genres/ types of materials we are able to accept.
(1) I plan to accept "motion comics". These are basically webcomics, but instead of having static imagery and text, bits of it appear over time. For example, you could be looking at a panel, and first you see only the visual, then the first line of dialogue appears, then the reply to it by another person in the panel appears.
(2) I would like to accept pieces that are meta, and/or, that are basically real-person inserts, including of actors into the universes their characters portray.

Though I do not immediately recall any such entries in our, now, 8 years of fanfic contests here at Kumoricon, I am not aware of any reason we could not accept such. All opinions welcome.

<<<EDIT>>> Jaki, our dear & esteemed Prog Chair, has approved all of the above. Thanks, Jaki!

Hope to hear from many of you with your entries really soon!
Many blessings!
Love,
Rem
aka
Ellen
(541) 606-0318 (gets texts)
rem_saverem_was_right@yahoo.com
or
(for entries)
fanficcontest@kumoricon.org

<<EDIT: I'd also love to start accepting graphic novels.>>
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 02:03:37 am by RemSaverem »

Offline mellonemrys

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2010, 12:57:02 am »
Submissions for Novel/ Novella lenght fanfic and comics 50 pages and over are now CLOSED!
(unless you have arranged something with Ellen to turn something in within the next 7 days.)

We will still take fic submissions of 10,000 words or less and comics of 50 pages or less until 9pm on the first day of the convention!
Kate Fletcher
relations@kumoricon.org

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2010, 03:21:04 pm »
Actually, I cleared with Jaki a 1-week grace period, so, submissions of longer fics and of longer webcomics will still be accepted through August 8th.

However, if it is anyone's intent to take us up on this offer, it is best to write to us asap to let us know.

Either post here, PM me directly, or write to:
fanficcontest@kumoricon.org

KATE: <Edit> Please see your PM.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2010, 04:09:51 pm by RemSaverem »