Author Topic: An unusual cosplay request  (Read 1844 times)

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
An unusual cosplay request
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:45:23 pm »
Well, as you guys can tell from my sig, I'm planning on going as Lina Inverse this year.  (On a side note, I may change the Kusanagi on the right for the return of Ranma Saotome, at the request of a close friend).

Anyway, here's the unusual request.  Part of my costume will feature a bag of gold coins.  These coins will be the original Sacajawea dollors from a decade ago.  I have a goal of getting at least $250 by Kumoricon; right now, I'm at $239.  I need 11 more.

If anyone comes acrossed one, can you save it for me, and trade it with me?  (I'd prefer to meet up for this before the con)

Oh, also, does anyone have an idea on where to get some Lina boots?  I can't find any costumes online that have boots or anything, except one, and that costume is way too expensive (and they don't accept credit cards).  And I'd like some help on how to make her earings.  My ears aren't pierced, and they're gonna stay that way, so need them to be clip-ons.  Does anyone have an idea on how to make something like that?
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Re: An unusual cosplay request
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:08:47 pm »
You could potentially get them from a bank. I also see them every so often from the change machine we have at work. If I see any I'll make sure to hold onto 'em
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Gryffinclaw Princess

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook - Just tell me your Screenname
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 01:54:19 pm »
For the earrings you'll want them light. That is, if you don't want your ears hurting and it's harder to have clips on heavier items.

What I would suggest is getting a small Styrofoam ball and cutting it half. Spray paint it gold with a few coats to make sure it stays on. (If this doesn't work then hot glue fabric over them.) Then, you can buy the clip-on accessory and hot glue them to the back.

If you want something shiny you'll have to find glass half circles but it might not work depending on how heavy the glass is. You will still be able to hot glue the clips onto them.

Wit Beyond Measure is Man's Greatest Treasure

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 04:59:51 pm »
^you could use plastic instead of glass.
You can buy the clip-on part, or if you can't find them anywhere buy a cheap pair of clip-ons somewhere like Goodwill and take them apart.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 08:38:17 pm »
Thanks, Trumby!  (The banks have been helpful, but as of late, not much from them).

Any recommendations on where to get clip-ons and balls for this?  Would Michael's or JoAnn's be logical places to look at?

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 09:04:04 pm »
Washougal, I'm sorry. I have nine of them, but I like them so I'm not willing to part.

On the bright side, I know where to get them. The Max stations when you buy a ticket and put in a twenty, you get the coins for change. I found this out about a month ago when a patient at my clinic gave me some to pay. I'm pretty sure this still works, and I really can't see how it wouldn't.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2010, 10:13:06 am »
That's okay.

I've gotten one from one of those things, too, as well as a bajillion of the presidential ones; I guess that's to be expected though.  I go to one every time I venture out into Portland anymore with this idea in mind.

Oh, on a side note, my need now is only 4.  We had a fortunate day at work recently where we had 7 of them come in!  YAY!

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2010, 11:13:25 am »
Too bad you don't live in Central Oregon...the company that stocks our vending machines at work always uses a tone of them in the machines. I hate them so I avoid anything that isn't exact change lol...but you could have always just dumped a $20 for a soda & been done :D GL on your last 4.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2010, 02:15:44 pm »
That'd do it for sure!  I just gotta find one that takes 20's...

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2010, 02:39:20 pm »
o.O ours do here...come visit & take all our gold coins away! I don't want them...

Offline xRIxKUx

• Bunnygirl
    • D.A
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2010, 07:17:17 pm »
Put in $20 in the ticket thingy for a MAX. It will give you those coins like you won slots!

I like goats.

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2010, 05:39:05 pm »
They accept 20's?

Offline nekovamp13

• It's over nine THOUSAND!!!!!
    • DeviantART
« Reply #12 on: June 12, 2010, 05:50:51 pm »
Usually...Though, it might only go up to $10...
~Sakuracon/Kumoricon 2014~
King Candy (Sugar Rush)
Dot (Animaniacs)
Ice King (Adventure Time)
Beetlejuice (Animated Series)
Cosmo (FOP)
Octodad (Octodad)

https://www.facebook.com/smilingmooncosplay

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 10:26:50 pm »
Hmm... well, I'll be heading into Portland this Wednesday, maybe I'll try then...