Author Topic: What would you do?  (Read 2391 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
What would you do?
« on: May 18, 2010, 02:58:59 am »
I'm in a spot, and looking for opinions
There is no way I am NOT going to Kumoricon.
However, I am in desperate need of a job.

Recently my father put doubts in my head if I got hired for part-time over the summer (though not JUST for summer, but part-time carrying into the school year) that they wouldn't let me have the dates off for Kumoricon, and then if they didn't I would have to quit to go, which I don't want to do, but I wouldn't miss K-con though, so I don't even want to put myself in that situation.

There's the option of just looking for summer work, but I really am after a part-time job, as I plan to go part-time school next year just to build up my art portfolio and start getting ready to transfer, while holding down a job. I also don't want to take out any loans, but rather pay from my job's money and start paying off some student loan interest. Plus, I need to help my family a bit by paying some rent.

So I could look for a job after Kumoricon, or start putting in applications sometime closer to the end of August saying I can start work the day after the con, but not as many places will be hiring since summer would be ending, but I'm wondering if this even matters since I want part-time anyways and not just a summer job, though the summer job could lead to part-time. Plus it would only give me a month to land a job before school starts (My college starts at the very end of September, near the beginning of October) and then I would need to apply for part-time loans as a back up just in case.

So if you were in my situation, and not going to K-con is not an option, what would you do?

:-[

« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 03:02:16 am by kimiski »

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
Re: What would you do?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 11:35:37 am »
While applying for jobs tell them the only time you can't work is that weekend, because you'll be out of town/state/whatever. I did that back when I got hired in the summer before my first kcon.
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 01:22:49 pm »
While applying for jobs tell them the only time you can't work is that weekend, because you'll be out of town/state/whatever. I did that back when I got hired in the summer before my first kcon.
I second this.
I got a job a while ago and told them I couldn't make it that weekend.  Just show them that you are an excellent worker and they'll give you a little bit of slack for missing those days.
Also, helpful tip, don't say you can't make it because of an anime convention.  They might be less inclined if that's the reason.

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 09:49:03 pm »
You don't state what kind of hours you are expected to work or what type of part time job it is.  When I think of work I always think Mon-Friday from 8:00AM to 5:00PM.  I realize that there are plenty of jobs that don't fit this schedule.  Almost all food service positions, for example.  Anyway, Do you work weekends?  One of the things that is so great about KumoriCon is the fact that it is on a holiday.  Many businesses are closed on Labor Day and the weekend so you don't even have to ask for it off.  I also don't know where you are coming from.  Do you live in Portland?

As stated previously, If you tell them now that you need Labor Day weekend off, you will most likely be allowed to have it off.  The biggest trick is to let them know as soon as possible.  Some businesses wont even allow you to ask for a vacation or time off until a specified time before the event.  This is so all employees have a chance to request the days off.  "I want Christmas off in 2015."  "Sorry you can't request it off this far in advance."  Grumble... grumble.   >:(

Good luck.   ;D
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2010, 03:53:35 am »
I second this.
I got a job a while ago and told them I couldn't make it that weekend.  Just show them that you are an excellent worker and they'll give you a little bit of slack for missing those days.
Also, helpful tip, don't say you can't make it because of an anime convention.  They might be less inclined if that's the reason.

Lol, of course. I would just say it's a family vacation I have had planned for over a year or something like that.

You don't state what kind of hours you are expected to work or what type of part time job it is.  When I think of work I always think Mon-Friday from 8:00AM to 5:00PM.  I realize that there are plenty of jobs that don't fit this schedule.  Almost all food service positions, for example.  Anyway, Do you work weekends?  One of the things that is so great about KumoriCon is the fact that it is on a holiday.  Many businesses are closed on Labor Day and the weekend so you don't even have to ask for it off.  I also don't know where you are coming from.  Do you live in Portland?

As stated previously, If you tell them now that you need Labor Day weekend off, you will most likely be allowed to have it off.  The biggest trick is to let them know as soon as possible.  Some businesses wont even allow you to ask for a vacation or time off until a specified time before the event.  This is so all employees have a chance to request the days off.  "I want Christmas off in 2015."  "Sorry you can't request it off this far in advance."  Grumble... grumble.   >:(

Good luck.   ;D

I would work whatever days they wanted me, whatever hours, as long as it's not during my Astronomy and Writing class I intend to take over the summer. I never though of my work having those days off, mostly because I've only worked there fair, and they really want you there those days. They even ask you if you can make sure and come labor day when they hire you for the job. And I live in Salem.

Yeah I'm starting to think honesty is the best way to go. Maybe that will show them I'm an honest person *shrugs* lol
P.S.... I HATE interviews Dx
I'm a  hard worker, just hire me and let me prove it!

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline shikyo

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2010, 01:06:27 am »
I just got a part time job a few weeks ago and the first thing I said was that I have a few dates off that are in the future that I've had planned since 2006(which was when I first started going to KC) so my boss let me have the dates off for KC. She thought it was funny that it was an anime convention, lol. Of course if you show that you can really excell in your work, I'm sure your boss will be so impressed that you'll be able to have it off. :)

Offline Kawaii Punkd

• Catgirl
    • My Cosplay Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2010, 03:03:09 am »
I had told Jamba that I worked for the con as a volunteer and that it was a commitment I had already set up, which tells your employer that you have follow-thru enough to tell them it's something you're committed to.

I later on found out the manager was a total geek and would have hired me on the spot had he known I was a geek. I still got the job on my own merits and that was worth it. I'd say go to Jamba they're flexible around schooling, and even do a scholarship every year :3
MAX'in it from Beaverton all 3 days~