Author Topic: How to get out of con mode.  (Read 2968 times)

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
How to get out of con mode.
« on: July 23, 2010, 12:05:15 am »
Hey everyone, I have a feeling you've all been to at least one con, or are maybe planning on going to one. This also means, that perhaps you have experienced what I'm about to describe. After the con ends, I generally go home, sit in my living room, go to bed, just like I would've before the con. The only difference is after I get home from a con, I have a feeling of emptiness inside of me. There are no longer tons of fun people surrounding me, no more friends, no more hanging out in the lobby, no more dances, no more anything con related! All that's left afterwards are a few things from the dealers hall, and a feeling of emptiness. Sometimes I even find myself cuddling with stuffed animals, because I miss everyone. I'm not exactly sure if this is the correct placing of the thread, but basically what I'm wondering is how to get rid of that feeling of emptiness after you leave an environment full of happiness! I hope I'm not the only one that's felt this way, haha.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
Re: How to get out of con mode.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2010, 12:10:23 am »
Nope, I can totally relate.  It's sad because you realize you met a lot of really cool people and you know at the very minimum you won't see them again for another year.  Or at all! D:

Why else do you think the forums are flooded with people post-con? xD

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline Jacob_Blackfeather

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2010, 12:12:24 am »
I get depressed, and i feel sad about not seeing my friends at all.

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2010, 12:13:02 am »
The best thing you can do is keep in contact with those new friends and go over the experiences and what you got from them. Instead of doing nothing, immediately contact everyone and get their information, start going through your photos or ones on the forum, make a blog or comment on one, look up videos, etc. You don't have only swag after a con, you have experiences, memories, new friends and new expectations!

And instead of thinking that the con is over, think of it as "the next one is only ___ days away!" Turn the ending into excitement and incentive to prepare. :3 The glass isn't empty, it's just getting ready to be filled back up! >O

Offline Saki-the-cat

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2010, 12:15:02 am »
Well, even though i've only been to a con once, I know exactly how you feel. I normally have that feeling after Halloween, My birthday, and now Kumoricon, but i've always had cure that seems to stop the, almost depressing, feeling that comes afterwards. I call everyone ^^ sometimes i even get together with all of the friends i was with at the time and just hang out too. I also go to meetups and things like that now and that really helps as well :3

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2010, 12:19:35 am »
I hang with my bestie. :D

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2010, 12:20:34 am »
Hehe, you all have such good advice, :333
EXCEPT DARKNIGHT, GO AWAY!

Hazu - You are exactly right, wowow! Thank youuu~ And yeah, it's funny because Mew and Aki con come RIGHT after Kumori. xDD But even if I go over memories and stuff, I still feel really empty at night when 'm trying to sleep. :<

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2010, 06:57:16 am »
Although I share this feeling, I have a bunch of con friends that I hang out with on a regular basis & that helps with a lot of it. I would also have to agree with Hazuza on this one...start thinking towards the the next con. As a person who spends a good 80% of his time working, I always have that emptiness whenever a good vacation ends...but at the same time, I have a good life & good friends that help fill that void between vacations.

tl;dr = Hang out with new & old friends to fill the void between cons & start planning for the next con

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 07:03:01 am »
Hehe, you all have such good advice, :333
EXCEPT DARKNIGHT, GO AWAY!

Hazu - You are exactly right, wowow! Thank youuu~ And yeah, it's funny because Mew and Aki con come RIGHT after Kumori. xDD But even if I go over memories and stuff, I still feel really empty at night when 'm trying to sleep. :<
We can fix that :D

lolI'llgosleepnow

Offline pyronine

• Chibi
    • Facebook
    • My anime list
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 10:54:24 pm »
Wait, I can get out of it? I have been in con mode since last con, i found it easier to go 1 month than 1 year. It's funny i started out as a volunteer last year, and in less than 9 months made it to Reg Mgr. I cant wait for con to get here.

See you at Check in.
=^_^=

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2010, 11:45:34 pm »
Lots of forum posting, look at pics, youtubing videos, and reminiscing till it slowly fades away back to your normal life.... *sigh*

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2010, 01:53:30 pm »
Just carry a sketchbook around and have everyone you meet sign it with a forum name or e-mail! I think I'll do that this year...  :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 01:53:48 pm by The_Geek »
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2010, 02:30:59 pm »
I feel that way after every con, but to feel better, I look through pictures and post in forums, email people, and post my pictures on dA. I also think about the next con and how to make my cosplay even better.

And every con I've been to I have school either the next day or the day after that so I mostly worry about homework and crap like that.
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2010, 03:01:22 pm »
Nya - Haha, yeah, this year I have school right after Kumo, so I have like, no time to be sad. xDD

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2010, 05:17:46 pm »
I swear to god going to cons is like getting doped up on some sort of drug. You want more when your done and then eventually you go to so many cons its putting you in debt.

I always feel terrible after a con, I actually cried when I got home after S-con this year because I had so much fun and had friends around me at all times. :T

Just keep in contact with those people and always remind yourself. It helps to share stories with people who didn't go or did go to the convention. Then you can relive those moment again.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 09:54:29 pm »
Nya - Haha, yeah, this year I have school right after Kumo, so I have like, no time to be sad. xDD

I hated that. Especially Freshman year. Freshman orientation was the day after.... D< I was dead to the world.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline wolfy2491

• Chibi
    • My facebook~
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2010, 03:01:17 am »
BAHAHAHA! Well for me, it's also that I'll be walking down the street or something and I'll see someone with like bright pink hair, or wearing 'odd' looking clothes and I'll be like "COSPLAY!!!!" And then I realize that they just dress different. And I get sad. lol. It sucks. Kumoricon is DEFFINETLY a giant drug. Must be in the water. XD
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 03:02:25 am by wolfy2491 »

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2010, 07:01:21 pm »
You are probably sad because you are thinking of con as going away, along with everything about it.  If you don't want to feel sad you have to change your prospective on what is happening.  Con is not going away, it happened, and now something else will happen.  You might not be having the same sense of the "fun" you had while at the convention for another day, month or next year but you CAN have the feelings any time you like. 

The next step once you accept this, is to enjoy the time you DID have.  Ether reminisce, or make new fun things happen with your old/new friends that are as fun or boring as you want them to be!  (To start you can always bring a boy home for that first night to help cope  :D )

Hope this helps.