Author Topic: Anime Theater  (Read 20561 times)

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
Anime Theater
« on: May 11, 2004, 11:26:32 pm »
Okay, this is just a probe for other people to reference, but what anime would people like to see shown at the convention?  Do you prefer subbed, or dubbed?  Do you prefer newer shows?  Older shows? Shows very few people have heard of yet?  There are a lot of options, we're just looking for any and all response.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
Anime Theater
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2004, 01:20:04 am »
Ick. Please, for the safety of my ear-drums, stay away from dubs. :(

As for anime, it seems like a general mix of both would be a good idea. I like watching uncommon Anime, but there's plenty of popular ones I might never watch of my own choice, but would like to check out without having to buy a whole DVD...

Offline ScorpioEyez

• Cabbit
Anime Theater
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2004, 02:35:28 am »
As for the dub vs. sub issue, generally I will watch an anime once subbed and then once dubbed and choose which one I like better for that particular title. Sometimes I like the subbed better (sakura wars for example) and sometimes I like the dub better (Azumanga Daioh).

As for shows and such, I tend to prefer shows that came out no earlier than the 90's. As for titles, I like seeing a big variety.

Offline mechaps-com

• Oni
    • http://mechaps.com
Anime Theater
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2004, 02:49:11 am »
I will sacrifice some voice acting in a language I barely understand, just to be able to see what is going on. I watch anime for the animated pictures, not to read. =)
Earle Bishop
Project Coordinator
Mechanized Propulsion Systems
http://mechaps.com

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Anime Theater
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2004, 03:22:21 am »
bad dubing ruins anime for me

like evangelion or chobits or inuyasha all very badly dubed
it hurts my dantiy little ears :P

i would like to see some brand new anime with some good classics
basicly the best of the best and the yet to be seen for most people

o and show gundam seed :)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2004, 07:00:16 am »
I don't know the exact name of it, but how about you reshow the second season of the Tenchi Muyo OVA since technical difficulties seemed to have limited the amount of time to watch it.
My other suggestions are ones that I have the manga of and have heard that they are becoming an anime (not sure on the ratings):
-Asagiri no Miko
-Chrno Crusade (and yes, it's spelled this way in the manga)

My other suggestion is that if you have a dubbed and subbed room, please make sure you don't have the screenings so close or that the walls aren't so thin.  It was hard to hear Full Metal Alchemist in Japanese with the background noise being Angelic Layer in English.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2004, 07:36:07 am »
I prefer subbs, but there are a few VERY good dubbs out there that can safely be shown to even the most devoted fans.  Grave of the Fireflies and Jin-Roh are the best dubbs I've ever seen.

And both classic anime and new is a good mix.  Watching some of GitS:SAC and finishing it off with Cowboy BeBop is always great. ^.^
No, I'm not insane.  I'm just... happy.

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
Anime Theater
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2004, 09:04:02 am »
I think showing some unknown animes of known mangas would be good... (Well... at least the ones that aren't as popular) Like Fruits Basket, and Gravitation (tee hee)  

I think Dubbed would be good, cause then you don't have to spend all your effort reading the subtitles and you can just sit back and watch.  And if you like the general idea of the show, then buy the dvd and listen to the Japanese version there!
Sweet Times

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2004, 09:07:10 am »
Yes, but some dubbs are so bad that they make people HATE a series, and never want to buy it!  Hoshi No Koe has a dubb so bad that it makes me gag, and I love that movie to death.

Sailor Moon also has the same problem.  It's so edited in its dubbed form that the plot line sucks, but it actually has a decent plot in its original Japanese form.

So, each series should be decided on an individual basis.

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Anime Theater
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2004, 11:54:44 am »
I agree with PrincessFrodo.  I adore the Cowboy Bebop dub to death, but watching dubbed Inuyasha makes me think thoughts that, if carried to completion, would result in headlines like OTAKU RAMPAGES IN DISTRIBUTOR'S HQ, MASSACRES STAFF WITH BLUNT SPORK.  Therefore, I think a case-by-case basis would be best.  It would also depend on the availability of versions; for example, the uncut version of Blue Sub No.6 is bloody hard to find in America.  (But I have it, haha!  *triumphant*)

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2004, 12:50:02 pm »
Fansubbs are technically legal until a US release.  ^.^

So we can show stuff like Gunslinger Girl and Tsukihime.  ^.^

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2004, 01:29:14 pm »
one reson for dubbed instead of subbed, at kumoricon when i was in a crowed showing of a anime, i couldn't see the words at the bottem of the projection,  the room was too crowed peoples heads were in the way (why dibs head soo big, WHY dibs head so big!?) people were laughing and i didn't know why, this wouldn't be a problem with dubbed
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2004, 02:09:30 pm »
I'm sure programming can find a solution to this, like aiming the projector higher. ^.^

Offline modab

• Founder
  • Sailor Scout
Anime Theater
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2004, 02:56:27 pm »

Fansubbs are technically legal until a US release. ^.^

Fansubs are technically ILLEGAL, no matter if if the original is ever released in the US or not. However, thanks to the understanding of most anime companies, they permit fans to view them until US licenses have been bought. The reason there is little litigation against this is that the parties who would sue fans are based in Japan, and don't care enough about what's going on state-side.

Anyway, about fansub visibility:

I'm sure programming can find a solution to this, like aiming the projector higher. ^.^

That's a decent idea, I have another one:
I have no idea if we can work this, but I would like to see subtitles at the TOP of the screen when we are projecting anime during the con.
Peter Verrey, Founder

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2004, 03:18:47 pm »
I have no idea if we can work this, but I would like to see subtitles at the TOP of the screen when we are projecting anime during the con.

I have a top screen subtitler to test out, but I need a translation and raws.

Also, most people have vision that is distracted upwards, not downwards, so most people will miss more of the anime by looking at top screen subbs than none at all. ^.^;

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Anime Theater
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2004, 04:24:10 pm »
if it wasent for fan subs i wouldent never have been hooked on gundam seed

Offline YariChuu

• Sailor Scout
Subs
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2004, 04:41:25 pm »
Subs are bestest in my humble option, but only the decent ones...At SakuraCon we were watching the One Piece, and it was just awful. XP No joke. Broken sentances, misspellings, I don't even think they bothered to put any plurals...Me and my friends kept joking about how someone had to be behind the screen typing it as the show goes along. o_O But we l0vez0rz t3h One Piece, so we watched anyway. ^^

Conclusion: Subs, but good ones. Some dubs are good though, like Jing and Kino's Journey.  

Two cents deposited! ^^
No No Four times no I'm not your daughter!

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
Re: Subs
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2004, 05:29:51 pm »
Quote from: "YariChuu"
Subs are bestest in my humble option, but only the decent ones...At SakuraCon we were watching the One Piece, and it was just awful. XP No joke. Broken sentances, misspellings, I don't even think they bothered to put any plurals...Me and my friends kept joking about how someone had to be behind the screen typing it as the show goes along. o_O But we l0vez0rz t3h One Piece, so we watched anyway. ^^

Conclusion: Subs, but good ones. Some dubs are good though, like Jing and Kino's Journey.  

Two cents deposited! ^^
I hope it wasn't a fansub that I have? I downloaded this one that was so horrid, I couldn't watch it all the way. It featured the "Adventures of Monkey D. Roofy"... o__O;

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2004, 06:44:54 pm »

You were probably watching Hong Kong subs. (Japanese translated into English by Chinese people who don't actually speak English ^.^; )

Watch the Hong Kong subs of Naruto, they're even funnier.  The subber was a Sasuke x Gaara fan, and the translation proved it! ^.^

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2004, 07:36:43 pm »
Hong Kong subs can be a little odd sometimes and funny too.  Just to give a few stories, there was one Hong Kong sub where the sentences were off by three lines.  In other words, you had to wait for three people to speak until you knew exactly why they were surprised.
There was another time were they misspelled a word at the wrong time.  I believe it was in a Hong Kong sub version of "X" and someone was down on the ground seriously hurt.  His friend came over, noticed the red blood stain on his shirt and said, "Oh no, you're hurt.  You're breeding!"  Everyone in the room fell over laughing.

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
Anime Theater
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2004, 08:12:30 pm »
Quote from: "Negima"
Hong Kong subs can be a little odd sometimes and funny too.  Just to give a few stories, there was one Hong Kong sub where the sentences were off by three lines.  In other words, you had to wait for three people to speak until you knew exactly why they were surprised.
There was another time were they misspelled a word at the wrong time.  I believe it was in a Hong Kong sub version of "X" and someone was down on the ground seriously hurt.  His friend came over, noticed the red blood stain on his shirt and said, "Oh no, you're hurt.  You're breeding!"  Everyone in the room fell over laughing.
Now I can't stop giggling. XD

Offline TomtheFanboy

• Bunnygirl
    • Twitter
    • Kumoricon Archives
Anime Theater
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2004, 08:18:30 pm »
I voted against what I want on behalf of my friends. My girlfriend and I love anime way more than my other friends. We really love subs and can't stand some dubs. However most of my friends can't keep up with subtitles either because of lack of reading skill or poor eyesight (I'm the one in fifteen around here without glasses). I don't care personally since bad voices are fun to me.

I'm all about the accessibility, if it's a more dramatic/romantic (plz don't read "slash romantic" ;) ) then I say sub. However, if it's action or kid drawing then I say dub.
Tom the Fanboy
Passion over Pedantry!
Pocky Club President 2005-2010

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2004, 11:20:50 pm »
There are definately the preferences between subs and dubs.  So far, the only dubs that I've like have been for Cowboy Bebop, Princess Mononoke, and Big O (only because Roger Smith sounds like a twit in the original Japanese)
Though, when I watched Evangelion, I watched it all on BAD VHS tapes, that were dubs, and had horrible tracking problems.  I'll eventually watch the Director's Cut last 5 episodes or so, just to actually understand (yeah right) the ending.
~Sean Larson~

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Anime Theater
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2004, 11:35:50 pm »
Evangelion o god that got to be in the top 10 of worse dubs

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2004, 07:32:30 am »
I believe it was in a Hong Kong sub version of "X" and someone was down on the ground seriously hurt. His friend came over, noticed the red blood stain on his shirt and said, "Oh no, you're hurt. You're breeding!" Everyone in the room fell over laughing.

/me falls out of chair laughing

Yeah, that is so great. ^.^  Fansubbers misspelling things are also amusing.

For anyone who has a subbed copy of the six minute Innocence trailer, they use the last lines of the first movie, but the fansubbers misspelled it: ".... when we meat again..."

^.^

Though I fully support showing all Godzilla movies dubbed. ^.^

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
Anime Theater
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2004, 08:02:33 am »
Lol, Hong Kong subs... one time I got a copy of FMP before the US release and the subs were so aweful, though I have to say I was very amused when Sousuke started calling Chidori "a special man". The gender was messed up through the whole volume. I loved the fansubs though. They usually - usually- put more effort into good translations and easy to read subs. There are times though, when even I have to admit the dubs are good. Cowboy Bebop as mentioned, is definately one, and I have to say I'm kinda partial to some of the dubbing in Haibane Renmei... hmm I'm sure there's more, I just can't think of any atm >.< oh, and sorry but I can't STAND the Excel Saga dub. It's not that it's really that bad, but her voice is so high pitched it gives me a headache. I usually end up watching them at least once in the dub to give them a chance though.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2004, 08:20:30 am »
That's right, the Hellsing dubb!  It was BEAUTIFUL!!!!!

Offline Sheltie

• Cabbit
Anime Theater
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2004, 09:21:45 am »
Oh! Oh!  
1. Saiyuku Reload (subbed)
2. Samurai Troopers (subbed!!!  please no dubbed, this series is serious, and the dubbed sorta counteracts that.... )
3. CCS (Cardcaptor Sakura - Subbed) The dubbed on this was HORRIBLE.....  but it did get me into Anime..
4. Generator Gawl (Either works! - This series has a surprizingly good dubbed version)
5. Pretear (I've always wanted to see it, the DVD box art is nice, and the summeries are nice, I just want to preview it before I buy..  8O)
6. Digimon Frontier (The MOST important one... - SUBBED)  This is the best series ever....   :P  

Oh, yeah, and make sure to show new stuffs, and classics, too!  I like to watch a bit of the series before I go and buy a (most of the time expensive) DVD of the series.

Okay, well, that's my two cents!

Sheltie
[The Secret Place
His voice... It's left me...
This time... I'll fight...]

[We'll go together.]

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
Anime Theater
« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2004, 11:14:58 am »
Quote from: "Sheltie"

6. Digimon Frontier (The MOST important one... - SUBBED)  This is the best series ever....   :P  
Amen to that. XD That show almost makes me want to change my cosplay idea.

Offline sassy_lassy

• Chibi
Anime Theater
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2004, 03:27:43 pm »
Quote from: "QEvil"
There are definately the preferences between subs and dubs.  So far, the only dubs that I've like have been for Cowboy Bebop, Princess Mononoke, and Big O (only because Roger Smith sounds like a twit in the original Japanese)

Big O, the man that dos Roger Smith's voice is the very same one that does Shishio from Rurouni Kenshin, and many other ones in the industry, I think he has one on Wolf's Rain... and perhaps in Fruits Basket.
Sweet Times

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2004, 03:40:08 pm »
Hooray, I made people laugh.  ^_^

I consider myself open-minded when it comes to sub or dub.  I'll go with either depending on the situation.  From what I understand, I'm one of the few who likes "Slayers" dubbed.  At least "Next" and "Try", not the first series.  I couldn't stand Amelia's voice in the first >_<.  And I think we can agree to never say the name of the dubbed version of CCS.  That had to be THE most slaughtered version of anime brought to the US.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2004, 03:40:48 pm »
He's also Tom Servo from Toonami, and Spike Speigel from Cowboy BeBop.  He's a very active voice actor. ^.^;

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
Anime Theater
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2004, 07:06:54 pm »
No dubbed Slayers. Please. Oh, it would make me cry if I had to hear David Moo at my first con...

Offline zenix

• Chibi
Anime Theater
« Reply #33 on: May 14, 2004, 05:53:02 am »
the bad thing about slayers subed is how hard to read the subs are
but i can deal with missing a few word i cant deal with dubed

i think we just need a list of ones you hope to show at the con and make a list of good dub bad dub 8)

Offline YariChuu

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: May 14, 2004, 08:01:41 pm »
Quote from: "RebeccaLynne"

Two cents deposited! ^^
I hope it wasn't a fansub that I have? I downloaded this one that was so horrid, I couldn't watch it all the way. It featured the "Adventures of Monkey D. Roofy"... o__O;

o________o;;;; Well, they called Luffy "Roof", Buggy "Bachi", and Zoro "Saron". I kept thinkg " The Dark Lord Saron, with the three katana to rule them all..."
No No Four times no I'm not your daughter!

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #35 on: May 14, 2004, 09:01:00 pm »
haha, I remember the HK-subbed One Piece, I watched several of those.  Sometimes one must have a certain tolerance when you don't understand the language >.<  Alas, if only I knew Japanese.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Teh Becca

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2004, 02:33:26 am »
Quote from: "RebeccaLynne"

Two cents deposited! ^^

o________o;;;; Well, they called Luffy "Roof", Buggy "Bachi", and Zoro "Saron". I kept thinkg " The Dark Lord Saron, with the three katana to rule them all..."
Yes, that would be the one I had downloaded. Oh, it was indeed good times.

It's a hobby of a friend of mine and I to find bad subs and mock the dialog. That one was a veritable goldmine.

Offline jessiek

• Cabbit
Anime Theater
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2004, 02:32:07 pm »
I Hate Things that are dubbed. I mean they are funny to listen to but I prefere subtitles all the way :D

Offline Fade

• Cabbit
Anime Theater
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2004, 10:20:28 am »
*sigh*

You fanboys/girls and your subs.

Heh, just kidding, don't hurt me.

Seriously though, I'd much rather listen to dubs.  And if the dubbing happens to be atrocious (and I'm relatively tolerant to such things) then simply don't play the anime.  We all know there are plenty of good dubs out there.

Listening to a language I only know a few words from, and keeping my eyes peeled to the bottom of the screen and missing all the action, has just never been very fun for me.  I don't know why other people seem to enjoy it so much. :)

Offline Marik

• Sailor Scout
Anime Theater
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2004, 11:49:43 am »
I love a good dub.  Problem is they are few and far between.  America simply doesn't have the pool of talented voice actors that Japan has, primarily because voice actors get no love in America (except at cons :-)) so people don't want to do it.

Offline Takmai

• Sailor Scout
    • http://takmai.deviantart.com
Anime Theater
« Reply #40 on: July 09, 2004, 01:03:05 pm »
Find me the all powerful first season of Yugioh and I will bow down... I've only seen the first 4 episodes or so.  I suppose its better than having that season dubbed as well.  Ack.

I wuv Japanese, so gimmie some subtitles. :3 Or none.  Just no dubs, pleease.
It doesn't matter whether you win or squelch, but how you play the tuba.

Offline princessfrodo

• Catgirl
Anime Theater
« Reply #41 on: July 09, 2004, 02:19:42 pm »
Heh, speaking of good subbs, http://www.narutopower.com has hillarious subbs.  They're purposfully botching Naruto, but it's so funny it's worth it.

Jiraiya has been renamed James, Kabuto likes immitating movies, and Orochimaru has an alien about to pop out of his chest. ^.^

Some of the jokes you'll have to knows what's really supossed to be happening to understand.  Which is relativly easy, as the manga has been out for a loooooong time. ^.^  Well, at least the manga this far into the series. ^.^

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
Anime Theater
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2004, 08:33:56 pm »
Quote from: "princessfrodo"

I have a top screen subtitler to test out, but I need a translation and raws.

Also, most people have vision that is distracted upwards, not downwards, so most people will miss more of the anime by looking at top screen subbs than none at all. ^.^;

True, but people will miss even more of an anime trying to shift back and forth sideways or up and down to read the subs through the gaps between people's heads  :roll:

Don't get me wrong, I MUCH prefer subbed to dubbed anime, but at cons it just isn't practical if you can't see the subs through the sea of heads in front of you...
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Magnus777

• Sailor Scout
Either
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2004, 09:52:15 am »
I am in the minority.
I like dub's more then sub's.
If it's subbed only though I'll watch it that way with no prob.
Sometimes though it is very entertaining too watch it sub'd, and dub'd at the same time, compare the words, it can be funnier then the show.
Zombie bunnys are edible play toys

Offline Nyco27

• Chibi
Anime Theater
« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2004, 11:07:34 pm »
I grew up with fansubs so that of course will always be my first choice but the vast majority of my friends like the dubbs so that's what I've been watching for a long time now, especaily with everything on Dvd now, I'll watch it in both forms, if nothing else to see where the differences are.

Nyco
Kumoricon Programming Director 2006, 2007
Cosplay Manager 2006
Kumoricon RPG Coordinator '03 - '05

Long live the D12!

Offline Kei-Kei

• Chibi
Anime Theater
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2004, 11:33:16 pm »
I've seen more Anime  dubbed than I've seen it subbed or fansubbed and I am extremely picky. I would prefer to see some subbed anime. Some of the really good classics and some new stuff. Please, no dub unless you can guarantee I won't run from the room, clutching my ears and screaming in pain.....like I did when I heard the Inu-Yasha dub...

[size=9]"I laughed, I cried, I died; inside."[/size]

Offline Luana-neko

• Chibi
    • http://www.forefront-nw.com/Sanctuary
Anime Theater
« Reply #46 on: August 01, 2004, 07:41:25 am »
Dear god, the Inu Yasha dub is so horrible!!!! Kagome is the worst, but as much as I love Ranma's voice actor, he's NOT a good Inu Yasha. Inu Yasha is NOT supposed to sound like he's going to cry every time he's hit!!! And there's no attempt at making the cute lil' Inu Yasha growls  :cry:
Exodus: Faded Spirits
Assitant Director and Head Programmer

www.ronime.net

Do not anger the sleeping cat, for its claws are sharp and quick to slash! [img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v360/Luana-neko/Avatars/predatory.gif[/img:d8831

Offline Riyuki-chan

• Cabbit
Anime Theater
« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2004, 01:35:16 pm »
If there are more than one anime video rooms, why not just make a sub room, and a dub room.  That seems logical.  That way, people who have dub-phobia can just avoid that video room altogether.  Then people who enjoy hearing characters speak their own language, can go watch dubs.

i agree with showing some new stuff that maybe just came out.  I'd like to view some things to see if I will enjoy a new series.
Riyuki-chan XD

Offline riverspree

• Chibi
    • http://www.kitzerkief.deviantart.com
RAW!~
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2004, 04:22:18 pm »
Dubs...ewwie I'm okay when it comes to playing with subs...although some of my fav animes have cruddy ones....Personally I play hardcore. If I can get away with no subs or dubs...which I usually can...I'm all for it!
Kumo 2007 Cosplays
Aya Natsume & Natsumi Tsujimoto
We'll just see how well River can keep these two names straight...

Offline Magnus777

• Sailor Scout
Anime Theater
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2004, 04:43:32 pm »
Oh, I am a major minority here!
I like dubs!
I like too be fully able too concentrait on the art.
Zombie bunnys are edible play toys