Author Topic: Anime fandom research  (Read 2431 times)

Offline ZenKitty

• Oni
Anime fandom research
« on: April 12, 2010, 12:01:09 pm »
A friend of my brother has some research questions on American "Anime Otaku" (preferably adult males around 30, give or take a few years). A few questions, and to get a general idea of what you would like. My brother passed it along to me because even though he is a gamer, he doesn't deal much with general conventions or other areas of fandom. He knows that I do. So, anyone up for answering some questions? I'll leave names/screen names out, and give a general consensus.

1. What anime do you think is popular now?
2. Which places in Japan would you want to visit?
3. Do you want to go to the "maid cafe`" and "costume play cafe`"?

(I have a feeling, from perusing the forums, what the answer to #3 would be, but just want to make sure)

Thanks!
ZK

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
Re: Anime fandom research
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2010, 01:10:13 pm »
American "Anime Otaku" (preferably adult males around 30, give or take a few years)

... Wait, so do you think that the majority of anime fans (otaku is offensive to some people, but meh.) are middle-aged men? Since really, I think there are only a small handful on this forum.

Offline ZenKitty

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2010, 09:15:50 pm »
Actually that was what they put down. I fixed the English, as it was a bit broken (the proofreader in me). I didn't write the questions or what demographic they were looking for. That was them. I'm sure any age/gender would be fine. (ahem, 30 is NOT middle aged. 45 is) I had to look up the term myself, and I'm aware that some may consider it offensive or demeaning, but I don't think they intended it that way. Just more like 'devoted fan' ... I don't even know if she was aware it can be considered negative over here. I don't know her personally.

ZK

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 06:27:17 pm »
What we think is probably a lot different from what actually is popular in Japan. AS there are a lot of shows that either don't get fansubbed, or licensed here in R1 land.

1.I'd say Kimi ni Todoke would be popular, A Certain Scientific Railgun, Major, Naruto, One Piece, Bleach, anything that has more than 26 episodes, and is still airing. But those I wouldn't know.

I'd like to visit Osaka, Kyoto and all the historic places there. The island of Hokkaido, because of Noein, and it's probably more like here than most places in Japan, and is famous for good seafood, especially crab! Go visit the Tokyo Tower, to see why so many shows and films crash it to the ground! lol I'd like to see Nagasaki more than Hiroshima. And I'd like to see the home port of the battleship Yamato. (See Kamichu). If I ever learn how to read Japanese, it would be nice to visit the Jimbo-chou and go to all the bookstores. And go see Yokousaka again! Go to an onsen in the mountains. Find Totoro's forest. Hike the trail from Edo to Osaka, just like people used to do before the railway.

A maid cafe would be lost on me, unless I could learn to speak Japanese, in my opinion. That and my wife would kill me! lol
Have Fun

Jay

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 08:50:26 pm »
lol jaybug, nice awnser. now get me pocky or i will send my yaoi fangirl friends after you and you dont like them when they angry... you have been warneed?