Author Topic: superjaz is going to japan (kyoto)  (Read 9163 times)

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
superjaz is going to japan (kyoto)
« on: June 06, 2005, 07:18:16 pm »
only for 22 days from june 23 to july 14th in kyoto we going to stay in mini "apartments" made for use while taking 5 credits, some people are going to take a bullet train to tokyo to viset freinds on our free weekends but i don't know any one to visit but it will be fun seeing any part of japan you know? any sugestions for stuff to take to eat (save money wise and time)and stuff to bring for gifts for the japanese tudors will be much apreshiated i will have some net acess so i'll be able to check kumori threads
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 07:40:38 pm »
-dies- D: Will you bring me back some...
Yaoi Doujinishi?
I bet you could find some at Tora No Ana. :D I'd pay you back in US dollars at K-con.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 11:23:48 pm »
I know a few spots to recommend to you in Kyoto.  Kiyomizudera, The Silver Pavillion, the four Imperial Gardens (you need reservations ahead of time and I highly suggest the Katsura garden), Todai-ji in Nara, and I can't remember the name of the temple but ask for a temple that has a lot of red toori and kitsune statues in Kyoto.

For presents, bring over stuff that are Northwest delicacies (I know I slaughtered the spelling on that word).  It may not sound impressive, but bring things like chocolates, jam, nuts, but kinds you could only get in the Northwest.  You could also hunt around a couple of market places for some locally made goods.

And partially for superjaz3p and partially for Neko_Chan, try a store called "Animite."  There's one in the Nishiki market place.  I haven't checked THAT section before but I'd be willing to bet on it having some.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 11:40:23 pm »
@Negima
wouldn't fruits make good gifts too?  I remember a classmate noticed that Japanese who come here always get strawberry favored 'insert food item' and find out it was due to the fact they're very expensive in Japan due to high tariffs.

Speaking of tariffs, aren't some imported goods in Japan a bit expensive due to some high tariffs(to protect Japanese companies)?
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline -MiYaVi-

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 07:44:21 am »
have fun!!!!! i was gonna go..from june 24th- july 25th,( Tokyo ) but decidid agaisnt it and made the decision to go next year, let us all go TOGETHER! WOo0oT
MiYaVi

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 03:10:53 am »
Quote from: "Kurimono"
@Negima
wouldn't fruits make good gifts too?  I remember a classmate noticed that Japanese who come here always get strawberry favored 'insert food item' and find out it was due to the fact they're very expensive in Japan due to high tariffs.

Speaking of tariffs, aren't some imported goods in Japan a bit expensive due to some high tariffs(to protect Japanese companies)?

I avoided bringing fruits partially to avoid the whole "Do you have anything to declare" thing.  Also, if you do bring fruit, make sure you know when you'll be meeting the person you're giving the fruit to.  Kinda ruins the mood when you hand someone a rotten apple.

I also have a side story abuot Kyoto and fruit.  I was walking down Nishiki Market, checking out the various shops, and I came across a box of what must have been the most perfect strawberries you'd ever see.  There were a dozen of them, bright red, perfectly shaped, and about as long as your thumb.  I then looked at the price, my mouth dropped open, and I looked away.  They costed $40.  If I'm buying any fruit for that much, it had better give me super powers.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 12:28:21 pm »
I would be interested in hearing japan's policies on importing fruits. I remember reading on one of the U.S. goverment sites that there are some wierd policies regarding the importation of that sort of thing. Apparently there have been some incidents in the past where people unknowingly brought some pests along with them and they quickly infested local crops and caused a lot of problems. I wish I remembered more details. Maybe I'll look that up again later if I remember...

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2005, 10:06:09 am »
i'll try neko, thank for the tips Negima, you guys can bet that i'm gonna buy and take anything thats not bolted down, its funny i know some people who are going but not that well they'ev only seen my skool girl side they'ev never neen my otaku, "go crazy n stuff" side, or
my 'your on my list and must pay side' and theres a guy going who's on my list cuz he knows i'm going on the trip and he told a girl who was running a fever to give me her cold, and thats so anti-otaku and wrong to want some one to get sick so they can't go to japan, he was in my jpn conversation class and was always trying to one up or make people feel stupid, jokes on him, the girl he told to get me sick? Hikaru_maxwell , so she bought me cough drops to build me up , as my younger bro said 'they've only seen one side of 9 side dice'

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/airotciv87
^.~
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2005, 10:02:47 am »
cool ^_^ tell me how the trip goes ^_^ my friends and i are planning to go to the cherry blossom festival in kyoto next year ^_^ i want to know stuff "moneywise" since my friends and i are on a budget ^_^;
i am asthenophobic, Cleithrophobic, dinophobic, and geroscophobic.

but i am NOT Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic

Offline black marth 07

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2005, 10:07:26 am »
My sisters goin to kyoto.^_^

But i can't go T_T

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Re: ^.~
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2005, 07:58:32 pm »
Quote from: "shadowfox"
cool ^_^ tell me how the trip goes ^_^ my friends and i are planning to go to the cherry blossom festival in kyoto next year ^_^ i want to know stuff "moneywise" since my friends and i are on a budget ^_^;

I can give you some advice on that if you want.
Everything in Japan is more expensive (except for manga thankfully).  To give you an idea, back in the US, $20 could last me through the week.  $20 (about 2000 yen) in Japan can last you maybe three days, four days tops if you only buy food.

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2005, 08:05:57 pm »
Quote from: "NegimaI can give you some advice on that if you want.
Everything in Japan is more expensive (except for manga thankfully).  To give you an idea, back in the US, $20 could last me through the week.  $20 (about 2000 yen) in Japan can last you maybe three days, four days tops if you only buy food.[/quote

isn't it due to high tariffs on imported goods its expensive(you didn't answer my question!! =(  )

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2005, 08:08:07 pm »
I was wondering... If it's 2000 yen to 20 US... 1000 to 10... 100 to a dollar... (all approx.)  10 yen is a cent right? Then whats 5 yen? Is it like a haypenny? D: OramIstupid?!

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2005, 08:10:52 pm »
Quote from: "Neko_Chan"
I was wondering... If it's 2000 yen to 20 US... 1000 to 10... 100 to a dollar... (all approx.)  10 yen is a cent right? Then whats 5 yen? Is it like a haypenny? D: OramIstupid?!

Last I heard, the exchange rate is about 1 dollar per 100 yen roughly(it fluxs a lot but thats like the given rough rate used).  so 1 yen(I wonder who it became yen when its written/pronouced as en) is 1 penny.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2005, 08:14:28 pm »
Quote from: "Kurimono"
isn't it due to high tariffs on imported goods its expensive(you didn't answer my question!! =(  )

Sorry, but unfortunately I don't know the answer to that.  But some of the things I'm talking about were made, grown, whatever in Japan so it's domestic but it's still expensive.
Oh yeah, buy an all day pass for the uses and/or subway at Kyoto station.  Depending on how much traveling you'll do, it can really save you money.  A subway ticket in Kyoto for one stop, one-way is about 150 yen ($1.50)

@Neko_chan
Approximately 1 yen equals 1 cent.  That's not an exact comparison but I use it as a rule of thumb.

Offline the_wind_the_sea

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2005, 08:14:41 pm »
Jaz! Have so much in Kyoto! If you get the chance, go see Fuji-sama!!! ^_^ I'm going to Japan next year! Hopefully!!! Have fun!!!

Sixteen Year Kumoricon Veteran
Kumoricon'19 Plans-
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Offline Panda0_0

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: June 15, 2005, 09:17:48 pm »
Im going to try to get into my japanese's Exchange Program. go to japan and stuff!

it would be fun as hell!!!!!

Who are you? Whats your name? SUPER BROTHERS!

Offline guspasho

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: June 15, 2005, 11:04:33 pm »
Right now 1 US dollar equals 109 yen. At least according to this site: http://www.xe.com/ucc/
2008 Facilities Liaison

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 10:40:13 am »
Quote from: "the_wind_the_sea"
Jaz! Have so much in Kyoto! If you get the chance, go see Fuji-sama!!! ^_^ I'm going to Japan next year! Hopefully!!! Have fun!!!

fuji-sama?

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 02:12:14 pm »
I thoguht it wsa Fuji-Yama. o__o; Sama is a thing you would add to a last name like 'San' and 'Kun' ect.

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
^.~
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2005, 02:41:32 pm »
of course T_T yama means Mountain and sama means kinda like a high class, like king ^_^

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2005, 12:50:37 am »
In Japanese, Mt. Fuji is called "Fuji-san" even though the kanji for san in this case is yama.

the_wind_the_sea probably decided to bump up the honorifics of its name.
(Sama -> very honorable, use for very high superiors)
(San -> normal level, use for people you don't know yet and people of higher rank)(i.e. a business CEO)
(Kun and Chan -> friendly term, use for people you know pretty well and hang out with.)

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2005, 09:02:43 am »
Wahh. She left yesterday! >D Hopefully she'll go on here sometime during her vaction!
Go to the Inari Shrine (Fushimi Inari Taisha)!!!  It's the shrine with the gaint rows of Torii Gates. I've always really waned to go there. You must go!
;D Have a goooddd timmeeee.

Anonymous

« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2005, 12:00:33 am »
yay i here i been havibg soooo much fun yesterday we went to athe kiyomizu  temple it was soo cool there was a love shrine like from anime i got a fourtune and it was 2nd to worst possible i bought inj on a group bag of rice for food and me and my freinds were passing a daikon radish choping on it abd passing it back and fourth the tudors who are japanese students are soo cool and people i hang out with are super nice
i orderd a japanese kids meal  and played ddr in japan  and had a party with the tudors  (girls who like asin guys theres this guy named satoshi ...just you tpe

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2005, 12:07:07 am »
it might help if i logged in huh? but that was me its 4 in the after noon here on monday, and 12 at night where you are ohh!! and i was awarded a 500 buck scholor ship towards the trip and a girl in the dorm is going to perice my upper ear for free tonight!!!

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2005, 12:26:43 am »
kiyomizu temple?  wasn't that shown in negima manga vol 5?  I ended up seeing a the same picture(a real live one though) of the temple in japanese class.

Offline hikaru_maxwell

• Catgirl
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2005, 01:06:34 pm »
Quote from: "superjaz3p"
it might help if i logged in huh? but that was me its 4 in the after noon here on monday, and 12 at night where you are ohh!! and i was awarded a 500 buck scholor ship towards the trip and a girl in the dorm is going to perice my upper ear for free tonight!!!

wHy haven't you pm'd me?!  *pokes you in head*

Have you gotten any good pics of cute J-boys for me and Andrea yet?

~*~Member of Cannot Unsee~*~

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
^.~
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2005, 05:08:53 pm »
EEEEEEEEEE!!! CUTE J-BOYS?!? POST THE PICYS ON HERE IF YOU GET THEM!!!  do they have those charm thingy's at the temple ^///^

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2005, 03:52:09 am »
Kiyomizudera is fun, isn't it?  ^_^
It's my favorite temple in Kyoto.  I'm kinda jealous that you got to see it now during the summer when everything has already bloomed.  I went in the winter.

And yes Kurimono, it was mentioned in the Negima manga.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2005, 08:56:11 pm »
sorry i haven;t pm or e-mailed you i had like 5 minuts to post and no time to e-mail, yeas lots of pictures i got you some yaoi i went to animete and i got my upper ear pierced and my freinds who are going to tokyo on thursday are going to look for a nice silver loop to put in it and i have some freinds i talked into going to kumori if they can don:t tell me mom about the pierce i want to suprize her i karaoke in japan frecl face and these japanes girls went nuts cuz they love that song and dueted stay away by laruku and spirt dreams inside my self i got a 10 on frecl face sooo much fun

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
^.~
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2005, 12:15:38 am »
glad to know your having fun ^_^ SEND SOME PICYS ON THE THREAD!!!  i still want to go to kyoto next year, hopefully during the sakura festival ^_^ it'd be nice to get advice on where to go by someone who's been there ^_^

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2005, 07:11:20 pm »
you bet, once i get back i ll put up pics and i m saving my 5 yen coins cuz i heard there lucky to give to people at kumoricon  a japanese girl gave me a glay burn tomarro i going to see a japanese base ball game friday we going karaoke again and saterday  danse club whooo party!!!!!! i just got 300 more $$ so i going to animte again they have a full metal acl watch for 210 bucks drool too rich for me tho if my spelling is a bit off the key board i using has hiragana on it droool again i take a picture !!亜ww意tウォンt書  gvふぃえrbfifg  hee heee  過去いい cool huh

Offline BakazokuJoe

• Sailor Scout
    • http://bakazoku.net/
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2005, 07:37:32 am »
Kyoto is so pretty!  I go there every so often just to walk around.
What is your favorite?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2005, 08:56:20 pm »
omg yes we went to a museum and a shrine yesterday and then we were free to walk around with a all day bus card, we went back to animeta i just happend to have all my money with me and i found a naruto key chain that a freind of a freind had lost and had been upset about so i bought it for him to give to his freind and he was like your a goddess i been getting soo many complaments over here the japanese girls think my earings are ka koo ii but they grab my ear and i just got it peirced mimi ga itai des i have been having classes at ryushuu dai gakuu and sessions with tutors are hard little to no english and i@m a first year dont know so much student ,kiyomizu was soo pretty, but the fourtune i got at the shrine yesterday said i was most fourtunate i like yeah in japan right now i spent 120 on stuff yesterday so in dealers room shopping zone