Author Topic: Aspect Ratio?  (Read 5157 times)

Offline darkhero

• Cabbit
Aspect Ratio?
« on: April 02, 2010, 05:51:20 am »
are there a limitations on aspect ratio
for example 4:3, 16:10, 16:9, 1.85:1, 2.21:1, 2.35:1, 2.39:1
can I submit my amv's with out any problems if I use any of those
I'm asking cause I couldn't find anything about it in the contest rules page

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
Re: Aspect Ratio?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 02:16:34 am »
As far as I know, there's no limitation.

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2010, 12:05:54 pm »
I also don't think there's a limitation and furthermore, I know the contest is specifically set up to allow for both full and widescreen videos so if you're really concerned 4:3 or 16:9 would probably be best. But I imagine it shouldn't be an issue... 1.85:1? I don't think I've ever seen an AMV with that resolution; anybody know what that is used for?

Offline Pie Row Maniac

• Catgirl
    • http://www.pierow.com/
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2010, 05:18:38 pm »
I also don't think there's a limitation and furthermore, I know the contest is specifically set up to allow for both full and widescreen videos so if you're really concerned 4:3 or 16:9 would probably be best. But I imagine it shouldn't be an issue... 1.85:1? I don't think I've ever seen an AMV with that resolution; anybody know what that is used for?
It's one of two aspect ratios for film theaters, along with 2.35:1.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image) Check on the images on the right.

The system Guy uses doesn't have any particular AR standards for viewing videos.

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2010, 08:26:23 pm »
Oh! I was reading it the other direction which left me with a vertical rectangle I couldn't imagine using for video. Thanks and sorry for being so bubbleheaded sometimes. :D

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 11:09:56 am »
This year I will be (trying!) to use Core Media Player for the category playlists.

I will also have one if not two back-up machines with VLC player on those.

In either case, when running maximized, these players fit to the available aspect ratio of the projector in the hall.
So, if we end up with an HD capable projector and you throw an older-style 720:480 AMV on it, it will show as centered within a black field.
Similarly, if we get an old, boat-anchor 640:480 projector and you throw 1:1.85 at it then the player should automatically letterbox it.

We all hope ...

But there are no restrictions on aspect ratios in the contest.
Each entry is individually play tested and confirm notices are sent privately to the creators.
These notices only report whether the playback was successful or not.
If not, I only state things like "Sound dropped out at 2min 38 sec" or other possible playback glitches.
I do not remark on the entertainment value of the AMV, i.e, "the story seemed to bog down around 2min 38sec."

- G

Offline DarkStar

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 10:46:38 am »
Since I'm running Main Events tech, I'll just comment that our projector is 4:3 and will probably be running at 1024x768 resolution.
--Chris ^_^

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 09:17:02 am »
Quote from: DarkStar
1024x768 resolution.
w00t