Author Topic: SO MANY EPISODES! how much money do they want from me?>>  (Read 6228 times)

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
SO MANY EPISODES! how much money do they want from me?>>
« on: March 18, 2010, 09:37:18 pm »
okay guys i have a question for you. bleach and naruto episodes. i mean bleach has like 350 episodes right now and naruto and shippuden i think easily have 400+. so if a dedicated otaku who loves 15/16 of their anime filler and you buy all of these animes on DVD how much are you spending. lets just say each episode costs 1.50$ roughly every episode of bleach so far. so you have spent about 525$. i wonder who the lucky head corpurate sitting at his desk is just smiling in awe as dvd box sets fly off the shelves... well thanks guy and let me know how you feel.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
Re: SO MANY EPISODES! how much money do they want from me?>>
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 10:17:21 pm »
Well, I think you explained why anime hit bottom the past couple of years. Money got tight. And you also explained why piracy is so popular right now. Why buy the cow when you can get your milk for free?

You have to throw money at the creators one way or another, or you just won't get your anime fix period. That basically goes for just about everything you can think of.

Look on the bright side, at least the DeBeers diamond people are not in charge of anime marketing. If they were you would be spending $525 per episode for Bleach.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2010, 12:21:15 am »
That's a lot better than it used to be (I know, may not be relevant to fans now, but it puts things in perspective). The typical ~26-episode season cost around $200 in the early days of DVD. The VHS and LaserDisc days were worse.

Some series still cost that much if you buy single-disc volumes, but at least now, most series come out in collections roughly around $50 (higher for popular series, lower for the less popular ones) not that long after initial release.

In Japan, it's still super-expensive to buy anime. Though more people there obviously see it on TV. Also, I have heard anecdotally from fans that anime DVD rental is more popular there than here.
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2010, 09:21:46 am »
when my brother was my age he was raised on the NES and the origional super nintendo, and by the time i was born into the family we had like 2 crates of games. my dad later told me they spent thousands on all the games and with the new consoles out they werent worth a fraction of what they were bought for. I found that kinda true to anything you buy nowadays. I just got the new DSI and the next day i see an AD for a new one? sorry nintendo you make your games faster than i can get my weekly allowance.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 12:46:33 pm »
Ok Ok Ok.....*sigh*

BLEACH has 262 episodes!

NARUTO AND NARUTO SHIPPUDEN HAVE ABOUT 360 EPISODES....    Naruto is almost finished....

As for Bleach im not sure....   But these are great stories!

( Nintendo has been cheap and lazy lately..Go with SONY.)

Cool thing is I get sweet deals from Sony. They had one day when ALL NARUTO EPISODES WERE like 50 cents! The movies were half priced also!

Also dont forget to watch NARUTO SHIPPUDEN MOVIE 3- KAKASHI'S ADVENTURE.

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2010, 12:52:17 pm »
I remember paying $29.95 for 2 subtitled episodes of Neon Genesis Evangelion on VHS.

Eughhhh..

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline kagekara

• Cabbit
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2010, 01:05:42 pm »
I like to own my favorite anime to support the creators. My solutions are:

1. BUY THE ORIGINAL MANGA when it comes out in English, especially if it's better than the anime. SHIPPUUDEN qualifies here; the anime is very poorly done, but the manga rocks out, totally.

2. BUY YOUR ABSOLUTE FAVORITES... own your top ten or twenty anime, the ones that you'll view and show to other people again and again.

3. AVOID FILLER ARCS unless a reissued box set is a great deal. Bleach has clearly identifiable filler arcs you can avoid if you wish, and it's like 25% of the episodes!
064-109 Bount Arc
128-137 Karakura Town
168-189 New Captain Arc, plus 204-205 princess from New Captain Arc
203-? the current Zanpakutou Unknown Tales.
(Corrections or additions to my lists of filler are always welcome.)

3. BUY USED and SALE copies... from reputable sellers at eBay, for example, or check out the bargain basement at RightStuf; I've bought great anime on sale for as little as $4 a DVD.

Good luck!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 01:14:29 pm by kagekara »
2009, 2010 - Staff
2007, 2008, 2009 - Go (baduk, weiqi) workshop

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2010, 01:22:41 pm »
Thats exactly why I stopped watching Bleach and started reading. Besides...

all mangas are better then there animes because its usually straight from the author. No people to edit it with fake crap. ( except for cuss words....awww....)

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2010, 02:30:44 pm »
I just limit myself to buying about 5-10 new anime's a year & I do so usually at con or amazon. Ebay is fine but research your seller well as I have seen some pretty iffy stuff for anime on Ebay.

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2010, 06:34:37 pm »
thank you naru(nick) you are a goldmine of naruwad information. see you at school... or will I/ or you?

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 09:08:38 pm »
and coupons plus price check Alway shop around and prepare to wait till what you want is the price you want
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 10:33:32 pm »
thank you naru(nick) you are a goldmine of naruwad information. see you at school... or will I/ or you?

IT'S NIK.............NIK.....NIK NIK NIK

NIK.

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2010, 10:27:16 am »
just remeber i know where your locker is and i know someone who could put mass amounts of yaoi in it... so you have been warned narunick... hahahahaha  :D

Offline reppy

• Bunnygirl
    • http://www.animemsn.com
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2010, 10:32:05 am »
Just take it and re-sell it!!  I bet you'd make a ton of money!

Clark Anime: http://clarkanime.com
Facebook: http://facebook.com/reppy
Kumoricon 2005-10 galleries: http://dunpeal.net/gallery

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2010, 10:56:01 am »
i suppose he could sell it to the idk all the girls in school... freakin yaoi fangirls.. and hunter.. don't get me started with that furry loving... i should stop.......

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2010, 11:47:48 am »
0_0.... Ok..

OFF TOPIC TIME!- IN AMERICA....

Melanie.....says it's going to be YAOI YURI HENTAI TIME.

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2010, 01:39:29 pm »
cough* thats what she said* cough

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2010, 02:07:45 pm »
bump

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2010, 10:45:59 am »
Y'know, you can really save a lot of money when the "complete collection" volumes come out. Which has also ticked me off when I bought the series individually and than a half-year later saw the entire series as a set in the store.
Ugh, that happened to me so many times. Especially with "Kyo Kara Maoh" where I bought season one and seaon two, each DVD individually, which was roughly around $250-300 for twelve volumes (something around there, can't remember how many volumes it has here in the US off the top of my head). I go into the store and find season one and season two box sets for around $30 each... WHY!? Curse my impatience! :'(
That happened with "Kaleido Star" as well. Bought each DVD of each season individually, only for the entire series to come out in a cheap box set about a year later.

Lately, though, for long series I've started to wait until the box sets come out. Like Bleach. There's no way in hell I'm going to buy each DVD buy themselves. I'd rather spend about $40 and get a full season rather than spending $30 for each individual DVD.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 10:48:26 am by Blue Leader »

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline TideWalker

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2010, 01:31:39 pm »
I look forward to the day when I can buy the dvd box sets of all my favorite series and watch them. OVER and OVEr again... what a happy day that would be.

Oh. Comic books/manga get SUPER expensive as well...
specially when the mangas are bimonthly AND released at the same time...

First k-con and I cannot wait!

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2010, 01:37:38 pm »
So...once again I spent around $600 on anime at Sakura-con. I saw a bag there that said it all.

Anime
Crack is Cheaper

Oh well, I plan to keep doing what I do & watch new anime online...then buy what I can around con time.

Offline Kurohime

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2010, 01:45:25 pm »
Good thing they're both available at http://www.hulu.com/channels/Animation-and-Cartoons now.  The first 100+ episodes of Bleach, and the entirety of Naruto and Naruto:  Shippuden.  

And Naruto can be found new for $25/box set, if you look around.  I'm still waiting for Bleach to drop a bit in price.  Especially with Bleach, it's ridiculous to by it by the disk.  I have to recommend the manga for that one too; there's something about Kubo's style that doesn't animate well.  

« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 01:46:59 pm by Kurohime »

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2010, 12:07:59 pm »
lololol my deathnote episode 1-20 cost  50$ and the rest costed 45$ but i watch it about 1ce a month so its worth it

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2010, 12:06:50 am »
Good thing they're both available at http://www.hulu.com/channels/Animation-and-Cartoons now.  The first 100+ episodes of Bleach, and the entirety of Naruto and Naruto:  Shippuden.  

And Naruto can be found new for $25/box set, if you look around.  I'm still waiting for Bleach to drop a bit in price.  Especially with Bleach, it's ridiculous to by it by the disk.  I have to recommend the manga for that one too; there's something about Kubo's style that doesn't animate well.  

Agreed with Kubo's art. Bleach has some good animation I say though. But the anime sucks for the longest fillers EVER.

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2010, 12:24:27 am »
\wanna know what else is random filler? (comment question of the day)? nope! random abridged series!!