Author Topic: Need some help with my AMV please.  (Read 6840 times)

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
Need some help with my AMV please.
« on: March 18, 2010, 05:23:19 pm »
Hmm...I appologize if this isnt the location to post this.

Anyways, I want to enter the AMV contest this year (2010) and I have my AMV made and ready to go.

The part Im having trouble with is getting it into one of the file formats allowed as well as the screen size.
So basically all the formating parts.

Would anyone be able/willing to take my vid and format it correctly so I can use it?
That would be greatly appreciated.

If you can/will, PM me and I can send you the vid via email.
Kumoricon 2014 Cosplay plans:

Kantai Collection Kongou Crossplay (Maybe)

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
Re: Need some help with my AMV please.
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2010, 11:15:36 pm »
What editing program are you using?

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 01:30:04 pm »
ALl I have availible to me is Windows Movie maker.
If there are better programs to use and are free to download, then let me know. lol

Offline thundercatlord

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 10:47:51 pm »
Go here: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech3/amvapp.html get the AMVapp. Read the guides. Use VirtualDubMod (included in the AMVapp)

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 09:58:55 am »
Go here: http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech3/amvapp.html get the AMVapp. Read the guides. Use VirtualDubMod (included in the AMVapp)

Okay, so there are a ton of programs or files to install. I have them unzipped and installed the first one on the list. However, then it occured to me, what are all of these and how do I use them all?
I mean, are they all nessisary? How come I need all of this, when Movie Maker does basically the same thing?

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 05:58:00 pm »
Okay, so there are a ton of programs or files to install. I have them unzipped and installed the first one on the list. However, then it occured to me, what are all of these and how do I use them all?
I mean, are they all nessisary? How come I need all of this, when Movie Maker does basically the same thing?

Hahaha, I felt the same way when I started. But no, WMM doesn't do anything nearly similar to what those programs are doing. Although it is a bit of time and effort to install and learn to use all of them, the AMV guide does an excellent job of explaining most of it and you will NOT be able to make even roughly equivalent AMVs with WMM. If you are just making AMVs for yourself/friends/youtube, then WMM is probably fine, but unfortunately if you ever want to do contests and conventions and stuff, you have to buckle down and learn how to use the AMVapp. Good luck!

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:31:51 pm »
Thats great.... I still think my Burst Angel AMV I posted on youtube is great. Its synchronized perfectly.

So is there a "using these programs for dummys" guide anywhere?

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 07:23:36 pm »
Well umm... that's it. The guide you are reading is the "introduction to these programs". And I certainly wasn't insulting your AMV creation skills (I haven't seen your work so I have no opinion :D) but just know that however good it was it could've been /better/ if you'd done it with a different program. At the very least, you can't overlay very well with WMM and I can't even imagine trying to make a convention quality AMV without overlays.

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2010, 07:32:31 pm »
Well umm... that's it. The guide you are reading is the "introduction to these programs". And I certainly wasn't insulting your AMV creation skills (I haven't seen your work so I have no opinion :D) but just know that however good it was it could've been /better/ if you'd done it with a different program. At the very least, you can't overlay very well with WMM and I can't even imagine trying to make a convention quality AMV without overlays.

no no. its ok. I know your insulting it. Its all good.

I just finished installing all the required programs. I have no idea where to start now....
You seem to have plenty of knowledge in this area. Can you maybe help me get started?

Or maybe point out somthing I have missed.

Thanks a bunch. ^_^

Oh, by the way; Im looking for constructive advice. Will you take a look at my amv and tell me what you think?

Here it is;
http://www.youtube.com/user/animewolfteen?feature=mhw4#p/a/u/0/Dqle0BQwM04

Yes, the quality isnt that great, but as you know, Im using only WMM...
« Last Edit: April 01, 2010, 07:34:36 pm by shadoworganoid »

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2010, 11:44:30 pm »
Watching your AMV was actually very helpful in knowing what sort of advice to give you. Overall, I am honestly quite impressed, a lot of thought and effort went into that AMV and it definitely showed. Unfortunately, your effort was marred by a number of little things that were the fault of your instruments not you; to make a simple analogy you are trying to make a detailed sketch with a thick marker. For example, you get a lot of what I refer to as "vestige scenes", places where the scene switched for just a frame or two but your editing program was too clunky to notice. On better editing software that's really easy to fix but on WMM fixing that is really just a nightmare...

I am more than happy to give you lots of individualized advice, but I think it would be better to wait until you've made your first AMV that isn't with WMM. A lot of your problems will just go away once you do that... I feel like you could be making competitive AMVs very soon with just a little effort. Go back to the guide (http://www.animemusicvideos.org/guides/avtech3/index.html), skip the theory guides unless you feel like reading them, and just follow his instructions. If you run into any problems (I did when I was just starting out) let me know and I can try to troubleshoot...

Edit: Okay, I've now actually read the whole thread multiple times, watched your AMV three times, and given this a lot of thought. I'm going to be honest here and I want you to know I really really don't want this to come across as harsh (I really do think your work shows evidence of a lot of talent): The Burst Angel AMV you linked us to is, more or less, an Action AMV, which wouldn't be an issue except that Action is a /very/ competitive category when it comes to specs. You might be able to make a Retro or a Trailer or one of the other categories (not Effects) with WMM, but you really are unlikely to even get shown with a WMM action AMV, whatever you do with it. The fact of the matter is, WMM's export quality is well, really bad. I would really hate to get your hopes up and I certainly could be wrong, but from my perspective it seems very unlikely to you find success with your current software...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2010, 12:07:50 am by murder_of_raven »

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 11:20:58 pm »

Two answer these two questions:
1) Yes all of them are necessary in their own way, there is very good reason why we all use it.
2) You need it because WMM does not do the same thing. WMM basically only sets your clips in what order you want them to play. The programs in the app can clean up your footage, turn footage into better looking files, compress your video to the proper size, among other things.

The App and guides were made to help out new editors get started and it's quite prudent that you follow and/or consider what it has to say. I've watched your video a couple of times now and its a good concept but there are a few very important points that you have overlooked that can severely help you video. Though it seems a bit daunting it will benefit you to read the guide before trying to submit a video to a convention.

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2010, 12:16:08 am »
Wow smt, you really managed to say everything I meant to say and in a really brief amount of space. From now on, when people ask me for advice, I should refer them to you! XD

Seriously though, I'm impressed. That was very succinct.

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2010, 12:57:43 pm »
Seems like the only thing Im missing is the Main Engine or Movie Editor Program.

What program do you guys use and is there a free download anywhere?

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2010, 01:34:09 pm »
Most of us use either Sony Vegas or Adobe Primer, and neither of those have a legitimate free download. Though the new version of there two programs are quite expensive, you don't need to shell out $200+ to get an editing program. It is possible to find older versions of either for fractions of the price and they pretty much work just as well. A friend of mine just bought a copy of Primer for around $20 at Half Price Books.

It may not be the easiest thing to find but in the mean time I'd tell you to read the guides and keep tinkering with WMM. Like Raven said, it doesn't make the best quality videos, but you're still editing and give you some experience that you can transfer over to the new program. There are accomplished editors out there and on this forum that got started by tinkering with WMM and then upgraded to better soft ware.

Offline shadoworganoid

• Catgirl
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2010, 02:55:59 pm »
What program do YOU use?
This question is directed at both you and Murder_of_Raven.

Offline somanyturtles

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2010, 04:48:49 pm »
I'm using Sony Vegas 6. It's an older version but still does the trick.

Offline murder_of_raven

• Chibi
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2010, 07:53:35 pm »
I run Adobe Premiere CS4 and After Effects CS4. If you want to use both, CS4 is probably the best version, but previously I worked with Premiere 7 and then CS3 and actually liked CS3 best and CS4 worst.  ::) I would downgrade if I didn't need After Effects occasionally for rotoscoping.