Author Topic: Elfen lied discussions, now with ~ (*spoilers warning*)  (Read 17833 times)

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
Elfen lied discussions, now with ~ (*spoilers warning*)
« on: March 17, 2010, 06:27:03 pm »
well I have just finished the series again, and was wondering how many of you guys have seen it too

[Mod edit by JeffT: Added spoilers warning to subject]
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 07:09:54 pm by cloud-9 »

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
Re: anyone want to discuss elfin lied?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2010, 07:16:30 pm »
I've seen the first few episodes, I got into it but loss of wifi access left me at a loss so i wasn't able to finish it. I though it was really good for what I saw.
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2010, 10:23:46 pm »
I've watched the opening sequence a few times, but haven't watched it al over again. I'm one of those people who remember too much, and don't get much out of seeing it again.

But it left enough of a mark on me that I went and bought the series, so that when I want to see it again, having forgotten much of what went on, I'll have it.

Other than the opening, the one part that disturbed me was watching a 13 year old girl sitting in the bath having a conversation. For some reason that part bothered me a lot. Gee, you don't suppose that me being in my 40s has anything to do with that do you? I know you can get married at 13 there, but still, I was raised here, where 21 was the legal age.

I did look up Gustav Klimpt's works, to see where Lied got the inspiration. I always thought his works were wonderful, ever since I was little. Here's to having mother's who were art education majors in college!
Have Fun

Jay

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 10:47:17 pm »
hey konan you can find it on youtube in parts if you have access to it. yeah and i dont think its just you or your age, some parts do seem a little hard to believe, and with this being so short of an anime they really went straightforward with the story.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 08:47:18 am »
My G/F & I just finished watching this last week...we loved it. I like anime's that are short because of how little time I have away from work & this one was great.

I did find the same parts disturbing as Jaybug did, because of how young the girl was in comparison to myself...but at least it was animated so I didn't feel completely disgusted. Also thought it was a bit strange that Yuka is wanting an intimate relationship with Kohta when they are cousins. To me, that is just a bit gross...again, it's how I was brought up in this life that makes me feel that way.

Other than those 2 things...I loved the story. I tend to like disturbing & violent anime most of the time & this did not disappoint.

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 10:43:40 am »
oh i agree too. I think it could be a cultural difference, if you are say marring your cousin. but i have no idea so im not one to speak in that subject. the main part that was wierd for me was when lucy's schoolmates were attacking her dog. An important scene but unsettling for me.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 11:22:22 am »
Oh ya...that part made both me & my girlfriend happy that Lucy killed those brats. Kinda sick thinking I know...but we were appalled by those horrible kids & their actions. Funny thing is, I was talking to the person who showed Elfen Lied to us & she was telling us how in the Manga, Lucy was laughing while they did it...

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 08:22:45 pm »
My G/F & I just finished watching this last week...we loved it. I like anime's that are short because of how little time I have away from work & this one was great.

I did find the same parts disturbing as Jaybug did, because of how young the girl was in comparison to myself...but at least it was animated so I didn't feel completely disgusted. Also thought it was a bit strange that Yuka is wanting an intimate relationship with Kohta when they are cousins. To me, that is just a bit gross...again, it's how I was brought up in this life that makes me feel that way.

Other than those 2 things...I loved the story. I tend to like disturbing & violent anime most of the time & this did not disappoint.

I wouldn't say I was disgusted for seeing the tub scene, but felt more like I was an involuntary pervert. Don't let the Feds see me watching this, kind of feeling.

But culturally Japan is closer to what the state of Mississippi was like as opposed to Oregon. It was legal to marry your 13 year old first cousin, I think until shortly after Jerry Lee Lewis at any rate. See Great Balls of Fire starring Dennis Quaid for reference.

I was reading something recently about genetics and how even first cousins would have a very minor chance of producing children with serious birth defects. I think it was in another forum about anime, I just don't remember where I saw it, I didn't finish reading the essay. It did go on to mention that the problem of marrying first cousins, is if it continues generation after generation, a la Hapsburgs of Europe.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 09:29:31 pm »
oh i see. i dont know how i felt when i saw half the scenes in this show << you know what i mean... my friends have said this show was bomb (shout out to KHking) but since im like 12 almost 13 i really did feel like a perv... lol

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 10:18:34 pm »
Yeah, and you just wish we had more onsen around here so you could peek through the bamboo screen separating the men's side from the women's now don't you?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2010, 09:23:36 am »
ha now you sound like my school friends  ;D

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2010, 12:23:02 pm »
ha now you sound like my school friends  ;D

0_0

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2010, 02:35:43 pm »
nick between you and the other nick and jennifer you make me feel like a major perv. but ill blame jennifer for shoving loveless down my throat, and jaybug, are you going to con this year?

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2010, 08:18:16 pm »
Probably not, as I will be needing the monies for going to Knoxville, Tn. the following week. A family outing at a football game. lol

I think the key to feeling a bit pervy for watching the tub scene, is the innocence that the girl seems to radiate. The moment is a quiet time, peaceful, and we are rudely staring at her. That and American Puritanism at play.

Did the show end for you as you thought it should have gone, or felt right? I think it ended not as well as maybe it could have, due to my getting a bit confused after the crazy soldier made his appearance.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 09:57:22 am »
Couldn't get into the show. I watched Chobits once, I didn't need to watch it again paired with blood and guts and girls peeing on the floor. I watched up to when Nana and Lucy had their fight. Nana was the only good thing to come out of that show and after she became immobilized I found no reason to watch it anymore. I've been told it's a good thing I didn't, because all I would be watching is her failing at everything which would be slightly depressing.

Also the vectors? What the hell? Not the idea of them but the animation. It looked sooooooo awkward and out of place in the whole show.
Anyways, just my two cents.
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2010, 12:00:46 pm »
you bring up the things i didnt like in it. those were depressing at times depending on if you did like nana to begin with. I didnt like how the anime cuts short but the manga continues. it might awnser you questions jaybug

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2010, 06:16:11 pm »
What?!? You mean to say that watching this series was not depressing to begin with? lol

What opinions do you have about diclonii? Would that be the plural of diclonius? Are they just gengineered organisms, and could be theoretically patented? So they technically are not necessarily granted automatic human rights? Or are they endowed by other than their creator with certain unalienable rights?

Me, if it can think for itself, not slaughter everyone in sight for cutting them off on the road, I think they have the same rights as everyone else.

Rights are not granted, those are priviledges.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2010, 09:27:37 pm »
its very odd how i came about watching elfin lied... i saw a little animation of nana losing her fingers and went "=O?!?!?! wth is that?!" and got a friend to lend it to me.

i realy liked the anime... its one of thouse that makes me want to go watch it again and again to find things i missed... i still cry at the dog part and i can see how she got so corrupted...

and the cousin thing? ....kinda weirded me out but then again... it is japan >.>; thier culture is SO much differnt...

and jaybug: yes i do think they have the same rights. and i for one wouldnt want to stand in a dilonii's way if they had to fight for such right like many people did.
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2010, 10:49:34 pm »
i didnt understand, if diclonius are supposed to immedeatly kill their parents when their vectors apear why didnt nana kill her dad? some kind of paranormal attactchment or did i doze off during important info time...? i want pocky... jaybug do my bidding kk?

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2010, 08:48:25 am »
I believe that the Diclonius were very mis-treated personally...if they hadn't been treated like monsters from the beginning, they may have never become so violent towards humans. I feel that it also put prejudice in a perspective that made you think about the way humans treat things they don't understand. There is a very great chance that man-kind would behave EXACTLY this way if it was introduced to a more superior race. Don't hate me...that is just how I feel...prejudice never did make any sense.

Although a good one, this anime was also very depressing as mentioned before...I wasn't a huge fan of how it ended.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #20 on: March 23, 2010, 09:46:30 am »
cloud: kurama wasnt nanas real father >.> he was just the only way for her to go though all the experaments and not go compleatly insane...
kumoicon 2013:

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2010, 12:16:14 pm »
ohhh i see. have you guys seen the movie avatar? this reminds me of what was going on.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2010, 12:31:08 pm »
ohhh i see. have you guys seen the movie avatar? this reminds me of what was going on.
I might watch that today if it's still in the theaters today...

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2010, 06:39:03 pm »
only in theatres that have 2 3d projectors... they might bring it back in the fall.... jaybug where the **** is my pocky? i said i wanted some like 2 days ago... lol i kidd you... time to go trollin where i am unknown...

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: March 23, 2010, 08:17:58 pm »
Do I look like the Pocky man. Go bug Tom.

Talking about the creation of Diclonii and relating it to perceived Japanese culture; are all their scientists insane? In every anime, they are performing some diabolical research on children; Elfin Lied, Railgun, Evangelion, name me one where they aren't torturing some kids! And it seems as if they are bent on creating monsters. Yeah, you use human DNA and you get instant monsters. Geez, even Frankenstein's creature was not immediately a monster, even if it was a French speaker! lol Seems to me that Mary Shelley had more sense than anime scientists are allowed.

Or would that just make writing anime screenplays that much more difficult, if you couldn't tell right away that the scientists are the monsters?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2010, 08:26:00 pm »
i wish i had an awnser but i dont, so good point. okk jay why dont you go trollin or buy me some ramen or feed my dog... wait i dont have a dog... uh time to talk about something elfen lied-ish... uh how about that ending? wasnt it like OMG THATS IT? the clock dinging and a mystery guest at the gate... errrrriiiieeeee............................................

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2010, 06:39:34 am »
Just a heads up...might want to put **SPOILER WARNING** in the title of this thread if we are going to have important details about the show. Such as ending info :P Don't want the mods to delete any posts.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2010, 07:46:33 am »
speaking of insane doctors in "amazing agent luna" (a manga based in america) the cia mutate human dna to make a super fighting weapon... thats a teenage girl... but then thiers two more mad sicientists trying to distoy her! >.< are thier SANE scientists anywhere?
kumoicon 2013:

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #28 on: March 24, 2010, 10:19:55 am »
i dont think so... but wait what about in... nevermind their crazy too

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #29 on: March 24, 2010, 08:47:35 pm »
are thier SANE scientists anywhere?
Real life?
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2010, 03:56:58 pm »
i think anywhere. but i think we meant in anime

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2010, 11:28:02 pm »
Jake, you're my hero for posting this.

Elfen Lied:
I had a friend once. She loved anime as much as I do. One day she came to school talking about diclonius, and vectors, and just random stuff. I was baffled and investigated the series. I watched it in two sittings.
In it's own gory way, Elfen Lied is beautiful. I don't think I'll forget the final scene with Kouta and Lucy. People have told me the manga has a more complete ending, but I was impressed with the anime's.
It can be unnerving sometimes, and once, I almost had to stop watching. But in the end, it is very moving and emotional. Elfen Lied is one of the best series ever created in my opinion.
I love the series so much that I'm actually doing my first ever crossplay from it. Not as a joke, but actually supposed to be convincing.
So, I really enjoy the series. If you have a good sturdy stomach and aren't intimidated by nudity, you should put some thought into the series.

Save Caprica!!

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2010, 12:06:18 am »
Cool zach! I loved it's beauty as well and would love to crossplay Lucy to convince but alas I would look strange in a skirt... Lol

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2010, 07:52:31 am »
i too loved it so much that i cosplayed from it. >.> of corse it was a early cosplay but it was one of bmy better ones ( not a crappy "oh look i can do this ad get away with it" cosplay but a thought out one. i even diyed my hair xD

did anyone else want to pummel the little boys from lucys childhod to death?
kumoicon 2013:

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2010, 07:58:15 am »
i too loved it so much that i cosplayed from it. >.> of corse it was a early cosplay but it was one of bmy better ones ( not a crappy "oh look i can do this ad get away with it" cosplay but a thought out one. i even diyed my hair xD

did anyone else want to pummel the little boys from lucys childhod to death?
My G/F & I literally screamed a cry of triumph when she ripped them apart...they deserved every bit of it! God that part made me so mad...I wanted to jump in there & beat the living !@#$ out of those horrible excuses for human beings lol. Ok...I'm calmed down now...
« Last Edit: March 26, 2010, 02:10:49 pm by Cyprus »

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #35 on: March 26, 2010, 02:06:30 pm »
I LOV-ED DAT PUPPEH!!

Offline JeffT

• Administrator
    • Facebook
    • Google+
Re: anyone want to discuss elfin lied? (*spoilers warning*)
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2010, 04:17:02 pm »
Moderator's reminder: If your post contains a major spoiler, please put a warning at the beginning of the post. I've added a generic warning to the subject. However, the moderators are not necessarily familiar with this series to tell what may be a spoiler or not so it would be really helpful if posters would observe this point of courtesy.

Thanks!
2023: Website Development Coordinator
2020-2022: Assistant Secretary, Website Development Coordinator
2011 - 2013, 2016-2019: Secretary
2007 - 2019: Website Manager
2015: Assistant Secretary
2014: Chair
2007 - 2009: Director of Publicity
2006: Copy Editor

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #37 on: March 26, 2010, 07:54:49 pm »
thanks jeffT. I didnt expect this to become a spoiler thread and after it had become one wasnt sure how to edit it. ill add that in advance in future threads K?

Offline Mew*Haruko

• Chibi
    • My YouTube. Subscribe! <3
« Reply #38 on: March 26, 2010, 07:56:29 pm »
I've seen some episodes, eh.
I'm a fan, I really love the story plot.

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #39 on: March 26, 2010, 10:13:16 pm »
its very well thought out and is kind of blunt about a lot of things. i can see why its a 18+ like other animes; like hellsing.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2010, 07:40:29 am »
~~~spoiler~~~~~?

>.> the ending was kinda... left open
kumoicon 2013:

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2010, 09:39:13 am »
unless its the manga,i have heard its ending wasnt as open as the animes.

Offline Konan-ChanX3

• Bunnygirl
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2010, 10:47:51 pm »
hey konan you can find it on youtube in parts if you have access to it. yeah and i dont think its just you or your age, some parts do seem a little hard to believe, and with this being so short of an anime they really went straightforward with the story.
I would watch it on youtube but dial up makes it hard. I think I'd be better off asking for it for my birthday or something. I really would love to finish it though.
*All puns to be taken literaly, and not towards any one individual.
Kumo '11
Ventus - KH BBS
Ciel Phantomhive - Kuroshitsuji
Ezio Auditore - Assassin's Creed II

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2010, 08:48:39 am »
Or if your otaku buddies have a good internet connection have a party and watch it at their house.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2010, 08:40:13 pm »
Netflix has it, that's how I watched it.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #45 on: March 29, 2010, 06:59:35 am »
~~~spoiler~~~~~?

>.> the ending was kinda... left open
Ya...I kinda felt that way too...just an empty feeling inside when it ended.

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #46 on: March 29, 2010, 07:49:49 am »
and the ova was kinda weird in itself too
kumoicon 2013:

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #47 on: March 29, 2010, 08:10:30 am »
Indeed...it kinda felt like it didn't quite belong even though it did.

Offline cloud-9

• Chibi
« Reply #48 on: March 29, 2010, 05:50:13 pm »
didnt watch the ova but now i think i wont

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2010, 07:50:40 am »
you should still watch it >.> it cures your "omg lucy!" fix xD
kumoicon 2013: