Author Topic: School Based Anime Club  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
School Based Anime Club
« on: March 15, 2010, 10:30:30 pm »
I'm not sure if this is under the right category, but I'll give it a try here all the same.

This year, I was put in charge of my school's anime club--the previous president graduated. She left me with all this years anime and suggestions for next year's, but I haven't seen nearly as much as she has, and my taste is usually much different then that of other club members. I was hoping other Kumoricon-goers might be able to suggest anime for me? I'm looking for a mix of anime genres (com-rom, horror, drama, what have you.)

I've been considering these: Noir, Noein, Okami Kakushi, Durarara!, Claymore, Seto no Hanayome, and Toradora!

So far we have watched: Darker Than Black, Kimi ni Todoke, Baka to Test, Pandora Hearts, Nyan Koi, Sora no Woto, When the Seagulls Cry, Eden of the East, and a few others.
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
Re: School Based Anime Club
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 11:25:10 pm »
Everyone loves Gurren Lagann :0
Natsume Yuujinchou's pretty good for a club, since there's no focus on the overall plot, just a bunch of one- or two-episode short stories which are sometimes really touching |3

A few movies in there might be nice, too. Aside from the usual Miyazaki stuff, I'll suggest Paprika and Tokyo Godfathers.

And while Durarara!! is awesome, it's still airing and shouldn't be done until at least June ono

Offline Wuntvor

• Catgirl
    • http://wuntvor.home.comcast.net/anime_list.htm
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 12:41:54 am »
Might as well throw in the popular ones:

K-ON season one - Season 2 will be airing next month.
Lucky Star (Slow to start, but worth the wait)
Full Metal Alchemist - Brotherhood (Much better than the first one!)
Inuyasha - The Final Chapter (YES they are finally ending it!)
Ouran High School Host Club (High School never ends  :D )
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (You can decide what order to play them, and if you want to include the endless eight)
Shounen Onmiyoji  (It has an Inuyasha feel to it)
KenIchi: The Mightiest Disciple  (One of the best fighting shows ever!  Has a Ranma like feel)
Combat Butler Hayate  (One of the best parody animes ever)
Shugo Chara (For the young at heart, or just plain young)
Azumanga Diaoh (Try not to laugh yourself to death, remember to breathe)
Zetai Karen Children (Has guest appearances of CB Hayate)
Kobato (You gotta have some CLAMP!)
Nodame Cantabile (Learn your orchestral pieces and composer history while enjoying a good comedy drama)
Saiunkoku Monogatari (Better than Fushigi Yuugi in my opinion)
Cross Game  (One of the only sports anime I ever liked, Have tissues handy for the first episode)

These should all be OK for a school club.  Let me know if you need more.   ;D

I can provide you with all these files, plus the other anime you mentioned, if you bring over an external drive, or a pack of DVD+R's
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 11:35:25 pm by Wuntvor »
(\,@/)  Quote from -  Rock & Rule
(=','=)  Stretch: MOK! Don't let him get us!  He'll put a heck on me!
 //_\\   Dizzy:    Hexx, Stretch.  Hexx.
  d b    Stretch: Aw!  Two of them!  That's even worse!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2010, 01:34:55 am »
I'm not sure where the legal standings are for high school showings, but colleges legally have to have consent from the licensed companies, assuming that the anime in question has even been nabbed yet.  My club is allowed to show anything by ADV, Geneon, Pioneer, and Bandai.  We've also made contact with Funimation, stating that we can show their stuff, if we ask for specific moments beforehand.  VIZ used to do the same, but they've been nearly impossible to get in contact with; we've kinda given up on them.

I say have plenty of somewhat newer anime, as many have suggested, but from time to time have some older things, too.  Also, show some movies once in a while.  Show a variety of genres to offer diversity to possible viewers.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2010, 01:49:31 am by Washougal_Otaku »
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2010, 06:56:10 am »
Hey! I was vice pres of my anime club (Though if you've seen Ouran High, I was the Shadow King, muwahaha)  so let me see if I can help

I don't know how your club is set up, but the way ours was ran was we could actually watch anime that had some mature content, as long as it wasn't hentai and was still rates 17 and up it was okay because we had permission forms and made it clear in the slips that nudity in their culture, etc, is perceived differently, so during anime club anyone not part of the club was locked out of the room our instructor.

Ouran High Host Club was a bit hit, as well as Claymore (The guys REALLY like that one)
I've seen Eden of the East and that's a really good one to show too. I wanted to show Tide Line Blue while I was there, but never got around to it. Shakugan no Shana is another good one. Kino's Journey was popular too. We watched Elfen Lied one year, but I'm not sure if you could do that one. Macross Frontier. Fruits Basket. 

We also had "president choice" "Vice President choice" and then we did voting on some series. One year we the president and I decided on genres, and picked a few anime's from each genre, then we brought in descriptions (One year even some anime trailers/short AMV's) to give them a feel for what the anime was about, and they voted on which one they wanted. You could always try something like that, that way they feel more involved as well.

We also had a rule that said no anime was allowed to be shown if it was airing on t.v, like FMA, Bleach, etc, because we wanted to expose the members to new anime... *cough even if that means some downloaded anime cough* But hey it wasn't licensed yet so... xD

:3

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012