Author Topic: Masquerade questions  (Read 18153 times)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Re: Masquerade questions
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 01:38:33 am »
^_____^

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline Vysh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 06:02:46 pm »
Sorry if this question has already been asked:
SO is there going to be a masquerade this year? I've heard that there wasn't going to be one.
And another one:
 Could something be done about the music choice for the masquerade? Last year the music was really fancy, which makes since of course, but it was very slow and nobody could dance to it. I think i remember the only time everyone dance together was for Time Warp and that isn't classical at all.
I was a Prinny and Ryouga Hibiki for K-con 2011, got any pictures? I'd love to see them

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 11:53:03 pm »
There's likely going to be a ball this year, though not necessarily a masquerade. How slow was it? The music should be rather fancy and definitely slower than modern music, at least.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Vysh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2010, 03:47:01 pm »
I'll keep that in mind and search out a fancy coat to go over my cosplay... the Ball will be on the second day right?

And about the music, yes, It was fancy and slow which makes since, but It sounded like some Spainish Classical music that could not keep a constant tempo. At some points it was probably half the speed of a normal classical tempo, which is very hard to dance.
I was a Prinny and Ryouga Hibiki for K-con 2011, got any pictures? I'd love to see them

Offline lover-of-the-pepsi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 12:56:02 pm »
What problems have there been with the masquerade?
None, other then dress code issues getting into the dance.  THAT is what the organizers don't like, when people who don't look at the rules ahead of time bitch and complain about how they didn't know.  They don't like dealing with them.  That was the only thing I heard. 

And if we had people running a little event inside the dance, I think we would get even more positive feedback for the masquerade (as mentioned previously.)

Would it be possible to put up signs around the hotel a couple hours before and/or the day before? like, we could have them at the registration point, lost and found, and a few panel sites....
"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 10:16:49 pm »
It will be on the schedule, where and when the dance is.  If people look at the info Kcon gives them, just like for everything else at con, they will find the dance listed there.  We don't lack people coming to the dance, so there will be no need for a sign.

This year there probably wont be a mask involved, making it even easier to have proper dress. (cosplay or nice clothes)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:17:26 pm by camname21 »

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2010, 08:31:20 pm »
Maybe a mix of the two music types?
I enjoyed being able to dance to both the fast and slow music at the black and white ball Fanime has.

I also really liked the mask thing, it was kind of fun to have hidden my face. I brought extra masks (cheap dollar store ones) that I gave to people who didn't have them.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2010, 09:50:34 pm »
Soooooooo I just heard rumor that there was fellatio (male oral sex DO NOT GOOGLE UNLESS YOU ARE 18+!!! I'm trying to be both cautious and gentle given the subject matter)  going on in the last masquerade. I do not know whether or not this is true, but I am pissed off to holy hell if it is.

To prevent measures like this from happening again/happening at all, can we make sure there's plenty of hotel security at the large events? I went to the masquerade myself and didn't see the event (Thank god) but also didn't see any security.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2010, 08:12:56 pm »
I have no idea if this did or did not happen because I wasn't at the masquerade last year but, I do know that the likely hood of anything like it happening this year will be very slim due to the fact that we have our hosts who are volunteering. I'm not the official coordinator so the only thing I can do is make sure to ask the hosts to keep an eye out for any fishy activities.
~Mina aka Annie
Trinkets and Tragedy Co-Manager
2013 cosplay: Stocking from Panty and Stocking with Garter belt.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2010, 10:22:28 pm »
I think that might have some sway. Well, if you guys find someone and don't know what to do, find me. No punches will be thrown, but I have a feeling a bucket of water might be dumped.

That aside, where is this happening, anyways? My friends will more than likely really want to go.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2010, 04:06:44 am »
I was around that whole room last year and I didn't see anything of the sort. Sounds like a wild rumor to me.
Not to fond on the idea of hotel security there after them overly playing their role in last years Kumoricon either. I think Kumoricon staff and the yoojimbo are well equipped to take care of happenings like that (I know for fact they had to deal with people getting drunk and being stupidly loud, not necessarily last year but one Kumoricon in particular) Attendees too just need to speak up and go get someone on staff if they see that kind of stuff going on. And I agree with a lot of us dance hosts there there is a slim chance of something like that not going unnoticed.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:08:45 am by kimiski »

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2010, 04:18:00 pm »
I think that might have some sway. Well, if you guys find someone and don't know what to do, find me. No punches will be thrown, but I have a feeling a bucket of water might be dumped.

That aside, where is this happening, anyways? My friends will more than likely really want to go.
It will be on the kcon schedule of events so just keep an eye out

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2010, 06:03:53 pm »
I saw no fellatio. Sounds like a rumour to me as well.

Also, if it happens this year, can I request that there be chairs along the walls? I got pretty tired and wanted to sit down, and sitting on the floor in a big dress is difficult.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2010, 06:42:53 pm »
Also, if it happens this year, can I request that there be chairs along the walls? I got pretty tired and wanted to sit down, and sitting on the floor in a big dress is difficult.

I second the chair request.

It'd be fun if there was a wallflower area where shy people can stand. That way other people know it's okay to ask them for a dance. I always feel bad for people who are just standing on their own watching the crowd. I thought it was fun to ask random people for dances.

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »
@lychee-twist:
Well then you should be a host! This year instead of having the masquerade we're having a fancy ball with people who have volunteered to act as hosts in the sense where you ask people to dance. If your interested please feel free to email me. The only things that are required is that you learn how to do a few dances.

I'll make a not to ask the person who's in charge of the dance about the chairs

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2010, 11:42:19 pm »
I'll make a not to ask the person who's in charge of the dance about the chairs
Awesome, thanks :D

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:17 am »
the idea was to not have wallflowers, that is why there were no chiars.  Bad on kcon for not realizing people get tired >.< 

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2010, 11:49:41 am »
im quite upset about there not being a masqurade this year. i made a spicific costume for it and everything. but now that there isnt one i dont feel the need to bring another costume to change into.
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2010, 01:19:58 pm »
Director's Park might be a romantic spot for an impromptu masquerade that's outside the convention if it doesn't work out officially.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2010, 02:19:34 pm »
im quite upset about there not being a masqurade this year. i made a spicific costume for it and everything. but now that there isnt one i dont feel the need to bring another costume to change into.

What do you mean?
There is one.

It's being hosted by the Ouran High Host Club members and other host volunteers. (I is a volunteer  ;))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:20:15 pm by kimiski »

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2010, 06:01:58 pm »

What do you mean?
There is one.

It's being hosted by the Ouran High Host Club members and other host volunteers. (I is a volunteer  ;))
Indeed, we just don't wear masks. ^^

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2010, 12:07:43 am »
Masquerades have not done well for us either at con or as side events.  I don't know if we are trying to do one again this year. 

The masquerade in '08 was amazingggggg. :OO

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2010, 07:43:50 am »

THIS! i had somuch fun in 08! mainly cuz we could wear what ever we wanted as long as it was within con guidelines and had masks.... but if your taking a brake sitting down why couldnt you removed it to breathe? D:
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2010, 01:46:04 pm »

THIS! i had somuch fun in 08! mainly cuz we could wear what ever we wanted as long as it was within con guidelines and had masks.... but if your taking a brake sitting down why couldnt you removed it to breathe? D:
Yeah, and all of the decorations and music were perfect~~
AND we all got dancing lessons prior to the event. ;3

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2010, 05:52:28 pm »
So the dances are getting worse?  We gave out lessons last year but we wont even have those (for the people just going to con) before hand this year. :(

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2010, 10:07:24 pm »
I know this is a little late, and has mostly been cleared up, but I thought I'd say this: I'm really glad there's going to at least some kind of dance. Last year I didn't get to go (it went too late so my parents didn't want me to go), but this year I'm allowed.

Thanks to the volunteers.

Also, I think it would be good to have some kind of pairing-up system. I like the idea of having a list to sign up on. I also hope there still is a dance class earlier in the day. Even though I didn't go to the masquerade, I did go to the dance class and I really enjoyed it.
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2010, 10:19:49 pm »
I know this is a little late, and has mostly been cleared up, but I thought I'd say this: I'm really glad there's going to at least some kind of dance. Last year I didn't get to go (it went too late so my parents didn't want me to go), but this year I'm allowed.

Thanks to the volunteers.

Also, I think it would be good to have some kind of pairing-up system. I like the idea of having a list to sign up on. I also hope there still is a dance class earlier in the day. Even though I didn't go to the masquerade, I did go to the dance class and I really enjoyed it.

A paring up system was one of the earlier ideas, but I think in the end there just couldn't be a neat and efficient way to do it, which is another reason the host idea was decided upon. If someone can think of a good way to do organize it and run it, it would be good but for this year I don't think the hosts could keep track and plan something like that on top of making sure to learn their dancing and entertain the guests as the event. I don't think a dance class is planned before the ball either, another reason for the hosts learning some dancing, so we can drag guests out and show them how then move on to asking someone else to dance. I like the dance class idea, but I don't think ones planned and its too late in the game for this year to plan one. The events schedule (I read) is supposed to be done at the end of this month?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything >.>

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2010, 10:21:46 pm »
A paring up system was one of the earlier ideas, but I think in the end there just couldn't be a neat and efficient way to do it, which is another reason the host idea was decided upon. If someone can think of a good way to do organize it and run it, it would be good but for this year I don't think the hosts could keep track and plan something like that on top of making sure to learn their dancing and entertain the guests as the event. I don't think a dance class is planned before the ball either, another reason for the hosts learning some dancing, so we can drag guests out and show them how then move on to asking someone else to dance. I like the dance class idea, but I don't think ones planned and its too late in the game for this year to plan one. The events schedule (I read) is supposed to be done at the end of this month?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything >.>

Thank you for summarizing that for me. I probably should have just read all of the other comments, but...
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2010, 11:31:31 pm »
Um.. simple way to do a pair up and takes no preparation.  You cut the music announce it is pair up time, anyone who wants to BE PAIR WITH SOMEONE comes forward and we (hosts) quickly throw them at them to dance.  The dance then resumes as normal, or we the pairs do a dance by themselves and then it starts up again.  EZMODE solution. 

You can now clap.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2010, 11:56:45 pm »
Um.. simple way to do a pair up and takes no preparation.  You cut the music announce it is pair up time, anyone who wants to BE PAIR WITH SOMEONE comes forward and we (hosts) quickly throw them at them to dance.  The dance then resumes as normal, or we the pairs do a dance by themselves and then it starts up again.  EZMODE solution. 

You can now clap.

I can see people getting annoyed with that though, having the music stop. Those who aren't afraid to ask others to dance usually go around asking anyway so we don't need to cut the music to have those same people come up and and have us pair them. We need some type of method that doesn't interrupt the flow of the dance and somehow includes the shyer of the bunch.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2010, 12:08:09 am »
Well there is no need to stop the music, it can always just be switched to something else or just have people jump into what is on.  As for addressing shy people?  You have everyone who wants to do pairs go grab someone on the wall! (or something similar)  There will be plenty of people on the walls, trust me.

Personally The intro-ing shy people into a dance, is not a vary productive thing to do unless you are an ass about it.  Yes you can do it nicely too, but there are going to be tired people and there will be those who are just too shy.  The other person has to know when to push it or give up and grab her friend! :D   This is not an easy thing to judge.  If you want shies dancing however that is just about the only way to do it.  I don't see something like raising your hand working at all.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2010, 12:18:57 am »
Maybe our King could announce over the microphone as a song starts if anyone wishes to be randomly paired up to dance please step forward. From their hosts can pair people up and if there's anyone left over from pairing up the dancers, a host can jump in to fill that spot? This can happen once in a while, the rest of the time hosts (as well as the other non shy people) will be going around asking people to dance, conversing, doing host things. xD

Anyway, if anyone wants ideas seen for hosts or people running the dance they should be posted more in here: http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=13089.0
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:20:14 am by kimiski »

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 12:43:37 am »
That works

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2010, 06:14:42 pm »
I remember reading some of the rules and things about the Kcon09 masquerade and had a few questions of my own about this year.

How dressed up do people get for this?
I know dresses/ties are required unless it's cosplay, but how formal does one dress?

What night is it usually on?
I can't stay the whole weekend (yay recession) but I want to bring an outfit if I'll be there that night. I might be able to rearrange when I'll go based on when the Masque is.

Do most people just wear plain masks with their outfit or is some effort put into making it a part of the ensemble? Decoration, size, shape, etc.

Hey, thought I'd answer this for ya. as far as the formality, cocktail dresses are fine, but something nice. and cosplay of course is ok. Last year it was on sun night (sat night was a concert). and as far as the masks go, i saw everything from painted on to really nice, so whaatever you want pretty much. Any more questions?
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2010, 06:09:13 pm »
As far as I know, masks are not required this time around.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2010, 08:21:27 pm »
What if we built on the wallflower area for shy-er people idea? we could have a section along the wall people can go to in order to be randomly paired up with someone. There could be a host or two there to do the pairing up. When the pair is done dancing, they can come back to the area and be randomly paired up again, or just go off and do whatever. That way, everyone gets a chance to dance with a random partner without fear of someone not showing up after signing up.
"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2010, 08:33:52 pm »
Me likes, just how will we inform EVERYONE?  And then will we put a huge sign up, or section off an area with something?

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2010, 08:56:39 pm »
hmm......what about a sign or something at the entrance of whichever room is used for the dance, so people could see it before going in? or for like the first half hour the hosts could carry a sign indicating that there is a random pair up area. I'll try to think up some more options, but those are my two favorites so far.......

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2010, 01:34:29 am »
does anyone know if we have a song suggestion thread up? because if not one should be made so we can have a better list of dances this year.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2010, 01:12:53 pm »
If you have a suggestion for a song, send it to me. Through email, preferably.
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2010, 01:32:35 pm »
What's an email I should use, then?

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2010, 02:17:12 pm »
Probably the one that says email in her profile.