Author Topic: Masquerade questions  (Read 18194 times)

Offline SiderAnne

• Cabbit
Masquerade questions
« on: March 15, 2010, 02:39:15 pm »
I remember reading some of the rules and things about the Kcon09 masquerade and had a few questions of my own about this year.

How dressed up do people get for this?
I know dresses/ties are required unless it's cosplay, but how formal does one dress?

What night is it usually on?
I can't stay the whole weekend (yay recession) but I want to bring an outfit if I'll be there that night. I might be able to rearrange when I'll go based on when the Masque is.

Do most people just wear plain masks with their outfit or is some effort put into making it a part of the ensemble? Decoration, size, shape, etc.
~~~* I don't always sing Ayumi Hamsaki in the shower *~~~

Offline Rathany

• Bunnygirl
Re: Masquerade questions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2010, 03:09:25 pm »
Masquerades have not done well for us either at con or as side events.  I don't know if we are trying to do one again this year. 
2003 - 2006 Kumoricon Attendee
2007 - Assistant Registration Manager - PreReg Side
2008 - Vice Chair
2009/2010 - Director of Relations
2011 - Return to Vice
2012 - herp derp

Offline SiderAnne

• Cabbit
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 04:25:04 pm »
Alrighty! I guess that answers a lot of them at once.
~~~* I don't always sing Ayumi Hamsaki in the shower *~~~

Offline Blood Huntress

• Cabbit
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 10:27:28 am »
When will we know whether there will be a masquerade or not?

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 11:12:38 am »
In all honesty, I wasn't too excited about the ones at Sakura-con either. I thought it sounded like a great idea, but when I actually went, it wasn't as much fun as I thought. Personally, I like the dances that go on at the cons more...but that is just me.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2010, 01:49:07 am »
I think everyone *me too* just likes getting all dressed up and wearing a mask, but yeah the dance itself wasn't much fun. At least not if you don't bring a date or don't make it to the ballroom dancing lessons beforehand. Unless there's a way to add some sort of element to the masquerade dance to make it differnt.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2010, 02:42:44 am »
It might be fun if we had someone host it. The host could match us up in random pairs so no one is left out. 0-0
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)
Shuichi Shindou (Gravitation EX)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2010, 02:45:11 am »
It might be fun if we had someone host it. The host could match us up in random pairs so no one is left out. 0-0

That's something along the lines of what I was thinking. Luck of the draw dances or something like that.
Would it have to be 18+ for that if you did random matching up?

Offline Blood Huntress

• Cabbit
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2010, 10:32:30 am »
I like that idea. My only personal problem with it, is that I don't really think I'd want to dance with some girl that I don't know... *thinks it's weird enough to dance with her best friend that's a girl* I have no problem with being matched up with a random guy for that though.

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2010, 10:43:55 am »
I had fun last year other then the fact my sister forced me to dance with people I didn't know (and it was my first time ever dancing at all)

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 09:49:46 pm »

That's something along the lines of what I was thinking. Luck of the draw dances or something like that.
I don't think we would if we had 1-17 years people go to one side and 18+ to the other when matching the pairs.

Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 09:55:31 pm »

I don't think we would if we had 1-17 years people go to one side and 18+ to the other when matching the pairs.

Fair point  8)

Offline lover-of-the-pepsi

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2010, 05:02:35 pm »
What about a sign up sheet or something? people could sign up to do the random pairing. there could be a sheet for guys, and one for girls. also, making sure there are an even amount of people signed up would be important too so no one feels left out  ;)

Oh, and an extra thought to the sign up sheet thing......they can be divided by age, what gender you want to dance with, etc. :)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2010, 05:05:37 pm by lover-of-the-pepsi »
"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2010, 02:05:34 am »
What about a sign up sheet or something? people could sign up to do the random pairing. there could be a sheet for guys, and one for girls. also, making sure there are an even amount of people signed up would be important too so no one feels left out  ;)

Oh, and an extra thought to the sign up sheet thing......they can be divided by age, what gender you want to dance with, etc. :)
I like that idea XD but we would have to have the sign up sheet up earlier so there would be time for matching people up. What i'm worried about is people forgeting/not showing up.
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2010, 04:38:03 am »

I like that idea XD but we would have to have the sign up sheet up earlier so there would be time for matching people up. What i'm worried about is people forgeting/not showing up.

It would have to be something that doesn't take much planning or time to pull off, like luck of the draw or something like that.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2010, 05:22:35 pm »
Would it be too complicated to do a computer thing? as people enter the "ball room" they could tell us a name (or number we could assign them) and enter it into a computer. then, have the computer randomly match people up. if someone decides to leave, all they have to do is let us know and we can take their name/number off the list. although......even after typing this up, i'm already starting to see some possible problems  :-\
« Last Edit: April 10, 2010, 11:41:34 pm by lover-of-the-pepsi »
"A friend is someone who will help you move. A best friend is someone who will help you move a body" -Unknown

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2010, 10:06:40 pm »
Would it be too complicated to do a computer thing? as people enter the "ball room" they could tell us a name (or number we could assign them) and enter it into a computer. then, have the computer randomly match people up. if someone decides to leave, all they have to do is let us know and we can take their name/number off the list. although......even after typing this up, i'm already starting to see some pssible probles  :-\
I agree.
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline Lynx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2010, 11:49:21 pm »
I vote to keep the Masquerade going. I believe that people should be able to enjoy the dances provided and I've always loved it. I mean honestly, the feeling of being a wallflower and then asked to go onto the dance floor, isn't that just something that makes you feel good inside? You were approached, by someone you don't even know and out of all the other people, you were picked.

I know that there are a lot of guys out there who aren't as brave or daring about it since they're shy, but because of Masquerades, I've been a lot more confident. The mask hides me, it allows me to become someone who is not afraid to meet new people. Once I've met those people, it's then the process of getting comfortable or just enjoying the one time dance motions and having fun.

Sakura-Con's masquerade was a blast. Pulled a few random people in the short timespan I had there. I had a small group and our mission was the dance with random wall flowers. It worked, people smiled, and I'm sure they felt glad they were pulled. Don't you want to feel like one of those people? It's not a dedication, it's not a date, it's one dance. Anymore than that, is up to you as the one chosen to be pulled.
[Insert Snazzy Signature Here]

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2010, 12:11:41 am »
I really do like the masquerades too.
I think another one of the main things was people didn't like the music.
We could always mix in some "normal" music with the more dancy tune music. I'm sure that would make an instant difference in how people feel towards the dance.

Offline Lynx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2010, 12:20:43 am »
Also,

Final Fantasy 8 - Waltz for the Moon
[Insert Snazzy Signature Here]

Offline Mr Silmero

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 06:36:25 pm »
After being part of staff and seeing the "minor" problems associated with the Masquerade last year I would rather we just not do it for a few reasons.

1. it cuts into the rave/dance time (MANY minors had a huge problem with this in 2009)
2. last year there was no mask creation panel so very few people had actual masks to wear, they had to be loaned out by staff

3. (so big it gets a few spaces) all the masqureades just devolve (evolve?) into the regular dance anyways after a few dances so what is the point of putting off what is going to happen anyways?

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2010, 08:37:16 pm »
hmm......valid points.

Offline kai-chan

• Cabbit
    • Kawaii Factor
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2010, 09:22:07 pm »
i really dont like it, i dont like dancing to the music during the event. its nice to wear a mask and nice cloths but other than that it sucked. All i did was chat there with my friends and danced for about 10 mins.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2010, 10:21:13 pm »
I enjoyed the masquerade a lot, even though I was just bouncing the inside.  I even got a random guy and girl to go out and dance together.  The dance seems like one of those honest dress up features of the con that goes with the whole cosplay theme most associated with anime cons.

As for the problems...
After being part of staff and seeing the "minor" problems associated with the Masquerade last year I would rather we just not do it for a few reasons.

1. it cuts into the rave/dance time (MANY minors had a huge problem with this in 2009)
2. last year there was no mask creation panel so very few people had actual masks to wear, they had to be loaned out by staff

3. (so big it gets a few spaces) all the masqureades just devolve (evolve?) into the regular dance anyways after a few dances so what is the point of putting off what is going to happen anyways?

Most of these problems are easy to deal with. 

(One) Cuts into dance/rave time.
   This is an anime con, dressing up seems more appropriate then a regular dance and is only taking up one of the two nights dance slots. Taking up rave time doesnt matter much seeing how they go, or at least they did this con, way longer then they were suppose to so that makes up for any loss of time.

(Two) No mask creation panel.
   If we have the money and space, I'd run the panel.  It is a pretty easy thing to run, just a bit messy. 

(Three, and this is the hard one) No one is running the damn thing!
   Ya no one did ANYTHING the whole ball.  It was just music and everyone did what they wanted.  Did it dissolve into just a normal dance?  Depending on how long you were there, ya it kind of turned into a regular dance until certain songs came on and then many were back to the ball style dancing.  The problem?  Well It does need a little structure to keep a ball going.  People also don't know all that many dances, so most dance a bit then after they try a few times and flop around they go hang out on the side to cool off or until they start feeling another song.

Is there a solution?  If enough people want the dance to go on with improvements, yes there are solutions.  We can have someone direct the dance, maybe have some sort of quick and easy mix and match going on, more formal ball dancing the whole time, all have been mentioned in previous posts.  It just takes some one/people to want to form these ideas out a bit and then run them by the right staff division head.  Just so you all know, last I heard from the staff that would need to run this, THEY DON'T WANT TO BOTHER WITH THE DANCE, they don't care. This came from their own mouths, I was there.  That was last years staff so this doesn't mean its the same this year, but probably close.  So if the dance is going to change, people who want it have to step up and help.

I'll be reading this to see what, if anything, changes.  If anyone wants to try and get something going for this, if it has not been looked into already, send me a message.

Offline bou12345318

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2010, 12:07:53 am »
mabye we should have 2 seperate sessions so there can be more room to dance 0-0
Kumoricon 2011
TK (Digimon 2nd Season)

Offline RobinSena

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2010, 01:44:25 pm »
I love doing the masquerade and ballroom dancing.  Even if you just end up talking, dancing, then talking, etc, it's still dancing with fun music, people and costumes =^_^= and the way I look at the rave vs. masquerade is that there are lots and lots of raves year round, but there's only a few masquerades.  Half the fun of going to the conventions is different things, so it makes sense to have two different types of dances than the same thing for two nights, especially if one of them is more exotic.  :)
"Well, it's going to look pretty good then, isn't it?  The One Horseman and the Three Pedestrians of the Apocralypse." Terry Pratchett

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2010, 04:05:28 am »
I love doing the masquerade and ballroom dancing.  Even if you just end up talking, dancing, then talking, etc, it's still dancing with fun music, people and costumes =^_^= and the way I look at the rave vs. masquerade is that there are lots and lots of raves year round, but there's only a few masquerades.  Half the fun of going to the conventions is different things, so it makes sense to have two different types of dances than the same thing for two nights, especially if one of them is more exotic.  :)

This one

Offline Blood Huntress

• Cabbit
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2010, 03:44:17 pm »
This is going to be my first con, and frankly I'm rather looking forward to the masquerade. I'm not really the type of girl to wear dresses or just waltz out onto the dance floor to dance with a complete stranger. I feel though that A: Your identity not being 'revealed' and B: Not knowing anybody there will make cause for the more shy types like I to be more likely to dance.

Also, just the whole sound of the music, everybody in formals and masks... It just adds a mystique to the environment, a feeling that you only find in movies and anime. Who wouldn't want to attend something like that at least once in their lifetime?

Now, I don't know if any of what I just said made sense to anybody other than myself... but yes.... >.<

Offline SadisticVampire

• Cabbit
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2010, 10:21:01 pm »
I think that the Masquerades are fun. It's a time to just be silly and have fun while dancing to music in masks.
I think it would be a lot of fun if we had more Japanese music as well, but that might be a bit much to ask. Perhaps we can find some way to work around budget cuts and make a cheaper, but still just as fun, Masquerade. I'm not sure how to do that completely, but I'm sure that something could be figured out to make it possible.
This IS BloodyWhisker, but I lost my password to my old account and cannot get it back because I no longer use the email I registered with.. xD Yes, I fail, I know.

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2010, 10:54:26 pm »
                    Here's a possible solution to the people not knowing how to dance formally: Have a panel teaching people how to dance formally (like usual) and make it the people who come to the panel's responsibility to ask other people to dance at the Masquerade. That way they can guild the people who don't know how to dance through it.
Or even maybe have a group of devoted individuals do it
Just an idea.
Trinkets and Tragedy Co-Manager
2013 cosplay: Stocking from Panty and Stocking with Garter belt.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 12:29:26 am »
This past year we did have a live action panel that showed everyone multiple dances and edicate, but sadly there is only so much room per room.  Not everyone who showed up got in, we had to shoo people away this year which was a vary sad thing to do.  I wanted everyone including myself, to know at least one dance, but the room was SOOOO full. :(

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #31 on: May 17, 2010, 08:50:00 am »
This past year we did have a live action panel that showed everyone multiple dances and edicate, but sadly there is only so much room per room.  Not everyone who showed up got in, we had to shoo people away this year which was a vary sad thing to do.  I wanted everyone including myself, to know at least one dance, but the room was SOOOO full. :(
Oh I see. Well then I guess then you could just have a large group of devoted people who you have taught formal dances to and have them go around asking people to dance at the Masquerade. Once again that was just a suggestion.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #32 on: May 23, 2010, 04:33:58 pm »
Sounds like a good idea.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2010, 04:00:27 am »
Hey I like that sounds of that alot too.

There could be a group of people who want to help run this, have them learn formal dances and walk around and ask people to dance. Maybe they don';t even have to learn formal dances and just kind of be like hired hosts?

Hmmm.... so the Ouran High Host Club panel is being canceled this coming con cause they cannot afford the food to feed everyone or something like that right? Or because arranging the tea with the hotel is nightmarish? What if they hosted the dance instead? There could also be females dressed in their school uniform asking the males around to dance.

Just a thought.

Then instead of killing off the host panel and the masquerade dance as official events... you can combine them into one.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 04:07:31 am by kimiski »

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2010, 10:27:32 pm »
@Kimi: I love it! When I go to the next meeting I'll bring it up ^^

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2010, 04:02:14 am »

Hurraaayyy~  :D

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2010, 06:37:02 pm »
Yay!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:38:41 pm by camname21 »

Offline Blood Huntress

• Cabbit
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2010, 01:45:30 pm »
?!?!?!?!!?!?!They're canceling the Ouran panel?!?!?!?!

Offline Felix

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #38 on: June 01, 2010, 05:46:56 pm »
I think the masquerades are a lot of fun. I love dancing with people even though I'm not the best dancer... I really like the mood with everyone in masks and fancy costumes. On the other hand... I've never been a big fan of raves. At the raves I've been to I just stood around until I got bored and left. We already have one whole night devoted to a rave - it shouldn't be that big a deal to have a masquerade that takes up only part of the second night. I remember seeing a lot of people dancing and enjoying themselves.

The fact that the dance lesson panel had to turn people away is proof that people are interested. A mask-making panel is also a great idea.
Done: Blue Spirit (A:tLA), Sollux Captor (HS)
will do: Yukio (AnE), Robin (YJ), genderbent Nilus (MAOH), Dave and Signless (Homestuck); other things I'm forgetting

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #39 on: June 01, 2010, 09:09:41 pm »
The fact that the dance lesson panel had to turn people away is proof that people are interested. A mask-making panel is also a great idea.
UH HUH!
I'm pretty sure a majority of people that went to the masquerade are not forum trolls, and its just a few loudmouths that don't like it and squeal :(

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #40 on: June 02, 2010, 01:07:23 pm »
?!?!?!?!!?!?!They're canceling the Ouran panel?!?!?!?!

Just the tea serving portion

Offline Lady Locust

• Chibi
« Reply #41 on: June 02, 2010, 02:46:15 pm »
Both of the dances have got to be my favorite parts of Kumoricon. I was very bummed that I didn't get to enjoy the rave last year, but the Masquerade definitely made up for it. Though, I think in general last year didn't go so well, it was still fun and amazing, but there seemed to be A LOT of problems going on last year that maybe won't happen this year.
Either way, the masquerade was still amazing, and if volunteers that actually want to run it are needed, I'm sure some of my friends and I would be happy to help : D
Kumoricon '16 cosplays:
Smoky Quartz (Steven Universe)
Punk girl Roxy (Homestuck)

Offline Kallika

• Catgirl
« Reply #42 on: June 14, 2010, 07:09:34 pm »
I wished I could go to the rave but seriously, the masquerade was really fun, some random guy asked me to dance and it made me really happy (but a bit awkward since it was my first time dancing..ever) and this year I'm a lot more confident so I would most likely ask a guy or two to dance..(is that a bit strange :P?)

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #43 on: June 14, 2010, 07:36:19 pm »
I wished I could go to the rave but seriously, the masquerade was really fun, some random guy asked me to dance and it made me really happy (but a bit awkward since it was my first time dancing..ever) and this year I'm a lot more confident so I would most likely ask a guy or two to dance..(is that a bit strange :P?)

No way! I'm sure a shy guy would just as much like being asked as a shy girl!

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #44 on: June 14, 2010, 08:06:26 pm »
What problems have there been with the masquerade?
I HAVE SUCCUMBED AND GIVEN MYSELF A SIGNATURE! :000
Kumoricon 2010 Cosplays: Kyouya Ootori, Spain, Yoru

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #45 on: June 15, 2010, 02:03:58 pm »
None, other then dress code issues getting into the dance.  THAT is what the organizers don't like, when people who don't look at the rules ahead of time bitch and complain about how they didn't know.  They don't like dealing with them.  That was the only thing I heard. 

And if we had people running a little event inside the dance, I think we would get even more positive feedback for the masquerade (as mentioned previously.)

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2010, 11:19:48 pm »
But, that's the point of a Masquerade! To dress up, put on masks and dance. It's wrong to show up to a formal dance in informal clothing. It would be like showing up to prom in a pair of jeans and a t-shirt. tsk tsk. Besides if your planning on going to a con you should always check out the website a few days before. They almost always post whats going on.
I found out last year about the masquerade and was bummed that I couldn't go because I wasn't formally dressed. But, I'm planning for it this year so it makes it more special.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #47 on: June 17, 2010, 07:50:27 pm »
Yep, and if you had a costume you already had your formal wear.

Offline J3l1yspy98

• Cabbit
    • My DA Account
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2010, 12:44:55 am »
@kimiski  That's a brilliant idea! I would happily volunteer for that :D Let's just see if I can get started on sewing my tux XD
Symbol of Resistance

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #49 on: June 19, 2010, 09:38:28 am »
http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=13089.msg597910#msg597910
On the link above I've start a kind of questionnaire on the "Host club idea" (look at the last 2 pages if you have no idea what I'm talking about)
I've started this so I can show the council how many people like this and would volunteer so that it has a better chance of being approved.
Also I've put people who liked it on here on a list in that topic. So go check it out?

Also it may or may not get shut down so once again I apologize if I did something I shouldn't have.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2010, 01:38:33 am »
^_____^

Offline Vysh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #51 on: June 25, 2010, 06:02:46 pm »
Sorry if this question has already been asked:
SO is there going to be a masquerade this year? I've heard that there wasn't going to be one.
And another one:
 Could something be done about the music choice for the masquerade? Last year the music was really fancy, which makes since of course, but it was very slow and nobody could dance to it. I think i remember the only time everyone dance together was for Time Warp and that isn't classical at all.
I was a Prinny and Ryouga Hibiki for K-con 2011, got any pictures? I'd love to see them

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2010, 11:53:03 pm »
There's likely going to be a ball this year, though not necessarily a masquerade. How slow was it? The music should be rather fancy and definitely slower than modern music, at least.

Offline Vysh

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #53 on: June 26, 2010, 03:47:01 pm »
I'll keep that in mind and search out a fancy coat to go over my cosplay... the Ball will be on the second day right?

And about the music, yes, It was fancy and slow which makes since, but It sounded like some Spainish Classical music that could not keep a constant tempo. At some points it was probably half the speed of a normal classical tempo, which is very hard to dance.
I was a Prinny and Ryouga Hibiki for K-con 2011, got any pictures? I'd love to see them

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2010, 12:56:02 pm »
None, other then dress code issues getting into the dance.  THAT is what the organizers don't like, when people who don't look at the rules ahead of time bitch and complain about how they didn't know.  They don't like dealing with them.  That was the only thing I heard. 

And if we had people running a little event inside the dance, I think we would get even more positive feedback for the masquerade (as mentioned previously.)

Would it be possible to put up signs around the hotel a couple hours before and/or the day before? like, we could have them at the registration point, lost and found, and a few panel sites....

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #55 on: July 11, 2010, 10:16:49 pm »
It will be on the schedule, where and when the dance is.  If people look at the info Kcon gives them, just like for everything else at con, they will find the dance listed there.  We don't lack people coming to the dance, so there will be no need for a sign.

This year there probably wont be a mask involved, making it even easier to have proper dress. (cosplay or nice clothes)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 10:17:26 pm by camname21 »

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2010, 08:31:20 pm »
Maybe a mix of the two music types?
I enjoyed being able to dance to both the fast and slow music at the black and white ball Fanime has.

I also really liked the mask thing, it was kind of fun to have hidden my face. I brought extra masks (cheap dollar store ones) that I gave to people who didn't have them.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2010, 09:50:34 pm »
Soooooooo I just heard rumor that there was fellatio (male oral sex DO NOT GOOGLE UNLESS YOU ARE 18+!!! I'm trying to be both cautious and gentle given the subject matter)  going on in the last masquerade. I do not know whether or not this is true, but I am pissed off to holy hell if it is.

To prevent measures like this from happening again/happening at all, can we make sure there's plenty of hotel security at the large events? I went to the masquerade myself and didn't see the event (Thank god) but also didn't see any security.
Kumoricon '12: Effie Trinket from "The Hunger Games"

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2010, 08:12:56 pm »
I have no idea if this did or did not happen because I wasn't at the masquerade last year but, I do know that the likely hood of anything like it happening this year will be very slim due to the fact that we have our hosts who are volunteering. I'm not the official coordinator so the only thing I can do is make sure to ask the hosts to keep an eye out for any fishy activities.
~Mina aka Annie

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2010, 10:22:28 pm »
I think that might have some sway. Well, if you guys find someone and don't know what to do, find me. No punches will be thrown, but I have a feeling a bucket of water might be dumped.

That aside, where is this happening, anyways? My friends will more than likely really want to go.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #60 on: July 21, 2010, 04:06:44 am »
I was around that whole room last year and I didn't see anything of the sort. Sounds like a wild rumor to me.
Not to fond on the idea of hotel security there after them overly playing their role in last years Kumoricon either. I think Kumoricon staff and the yoojimbo are well equipped to take care of happenings like that (I know for fact they had to deal with people getting drunk and being stupidly loud, not necessarily last year but one Kumoricon in particular) Attendees too just need to speak up and go get someone on staff if they see that kind of stuff going on. And I agree with a lot of us dance hosts there there is a slim chance of something like that not going unnoticed.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2010, 04:08:45 am by kimiski »

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #61 on: July 21, 2010, 04:18:00 pm »
I think that might have some sway. Well, if you guys find someone and don't know what to do, find me. No punches will be thrown, but I have a feeling a bucket of water might be dumped.

That aside, where is this happening, anyways? My friends will more than likely really want to go.
It will be on the kcon schedule of events so just keep an eye out

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #62 on: July 21, 2010, 06:03:53 pm »
I saw no fellatio. Sounds like a rumour to me as well.

Also, if it happens this year, can I request that there be chairs along the walls? I got pretty tired and wanted to sit down, and sitting on the floor in a big dress is difficult.

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #63 on: July 21, 2010, 06:42:53 pm »
Also, if it happens this year, can I request that there be chairs along the walls? I got pretty tired and wanted to sit down, and sitting on the floor in a big dress is difficult.

I second the chair request.

It'd be fun if there was a wallflower area where shy people can stand. That way other people know it's okay to ask them for a dance. I always feel bad for people who are just standing on their own watching the crowd. I thought it was fun to ask random people for dances.

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2010, 10:13:47 pm »
@lychee-twist:
Well then you should be a host! This year instead of having the masquerade we're having a fancy ball with people who have volunteered to act as hosts in the sense where you ask people to dance. If your interested please feel free to email me. The only things that are required is that you learn how to do a few dances.

I'll make a not to ask the person who's in charge of the dance about the chairs

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2010, 11:42:19 pm »
I'll make a not to ask the person who's in charge of the dance about the chairs
Awesome, thanks :D

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #66 on: July 22, 2010, 11:22:17 am »
the idea was to not have wallflowers, that is why there were no chiars.  Bad on kcon for not realizing people get tired >.< 

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #67 on: July 22, 2010, 11:49:41 am »
im quite upset about there not being a masqurade this year. i made a spicific costume for it and everything. but now that there isnt one i dont feel the need to bring another costume to change into.
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline lychee-twist

• Bunnygirl
    • My deviantART
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2010, 01:19:58 pm »
Director's Park might be a romantic spot for an impromptu masquerade that's outside the convention if it doesn't work out officially.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2010, 02:19:34 pm »
im quite upset about there not being a masqurade this year. i made a spicific costume for it and everything. but now that there isnt one i dont feel the need to bring another costume to change into.

What do you mean?
There is one.

It's being hosted by the Ouran High Host Club members and other host volunteers. (I is a volunteer  ;))
« Last Edit: July 22, 2010, 02:20:15 pm by kimiski »

Offline snowshoedtiger

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2010, 06:01:58 pm »

What do you mean?
There is one.

It's being hosted by the Ouran High Host Club members and other host volunteers. (I is a volunteer  ;))
Indeed, we just don't wear masks. ^^

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #71 on: July 23, 2010, 12:07:43 am »
Masquerades have not done well for us either at con or as side events.  I don't know if we are trying to do one again this year. 

The masquerade in '08 was amazingggggg. :OO

Offline chelseahavoc

• Bunnygirl
    • Chelseahavoc's DA
« Reply #72 on: July 23, 2010, 07:43:50 am »

THIS! i had somuch fun in 08! mainly cuz we could wear what ever we wanted as long as it was within con guidelines and had masks.... but if your taking a brake sitting down why couldnt you removed it to breathe? D:
kumoicon 2013:
day 0: ANIMAL CROSSING Mayor
day 1: morning- Guu (hare + guu)
day 1: afternoon- Terra (ff6)
day 2: chibi moon (sailor moon)
day 3: Princess Zelda (loz:oot)

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #73 on: July 23, 2010, 01:46:04 pm »

THIS! i had somuch fun in 08! mainly cuz we could wear what ever we wanted as long as it was within con guidelines and had masks.... but if your taking a brake sitting down why couldnt you removed it to breathe? D:
Yeah, and all of the decorations and music were perfect~~
AND we all got dancing lessons prior to the event. ;3

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #74 on: July 23, 2010, 05:52:28 pm »
So the dances are getting worse?  We gave out lessons last year but we wont even have those (for the people just going to con) before hand this year. :(

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2010, 10:07:24 pm »
I know this is a little late, and has mostly been cleared up, but I thought I'd say this: I'm really glad there's going to at least some kind of dance. Last year I didn't get to go (it went too late so my parents didn't want me to go), but this year I'm allowed.

Thanks to the volunteers.

Also, I think it would be good to have some kind of pairing-up system. I like the idea of having a list to sign up on. I also hope there still is a dance class earlier in the day. Even though I didn't go to the masquerade, I did go to the dance class and I really enjoyed it.
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2010, 10:19:49 pm »
I know this is a little late, and has mostly been cleared up, but I thought I'd say this: I'm really glad there's going to at least some kind of dance. Last year I didn't get to go (it went too late so my parents didn't want me to go), but this year I'm allowed.

Thanks to the volunteers.

Also, I think it would be good to have some kind of pairing-up system. I like the idea of having a list to sign up on. I also hope there still is a dance class earlier in the day. Even though I didn't go to the masquerade, I did go to the dance class and I really enjoyed it.

A paring up system was one of the earlier ideas, but I think in the end there just couldn't be a neat and efficient way to do it, which is another reason the host idea was decided upon. If someone can think of a good way to do organize it and run it, it would be good but for this year I don't think the hosts could keep track and plan something like that on top of making sure to learn their dancing and entertain the guests as the event. I don't think a dance class is planned before the ball either, another reason for the hosts learning some dancing, so we can drag guests out and show them how then move on to asking someone else to dance. I like the dance class idea, but I don't think ones planned and its too late in the game for this year to plan one. The events schedule (I read) is supposed to be done at the end of this month?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything >.>

Offline Rexyisashark

• Cabbit
    • Rexyisashark's DeviantART.
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2010, 10:21:46 pm »
A paring up system was one of the earlier ideas, but I think in the end there just couldn't be a neat and efficient way to do it, which is another reason the host idea was decided upon. If someone can think of a good way to do organize it and run it, it would be good but for this year I don't think the hosts could keep track and plan something like that on top of making sure to learn their dancing and entertain the guests as the event. I don't think a dance class is planned before the ball either, another reason for the hosts learning some dancing, so we can drag guests out and show them how then move on to asking someone else to dance. I like the dance class idea, but I don't think ones planned and its too late in the game for this year to plan one. The events schedule (I read) is supposed to be done at the end of this month?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong on anything >.>

Thank you for summarizing that for me. I probably should have just read all of the other comments, but...
Sakura | Tsubasa: Reservoir Chronicles | 100%

Princess Fuse | Okami | 90%

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2010, 11:31:31 pm »
Um.. simple way to do a pair up and takes no preparation.  You cut the music announce it is pair up time, anyone who wants to BE PAIR WITH SOMEONE comes forward and we (hosts) quickly throw them at them to dance.  The dance then resumes as normal, or we the pairs do a dance by themselves and then it starts up again.  EZMODE solution. 

You can now clap.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2010, 11:56:45 pm »
Um.. simple way to do a pair up and takes no preparation.  You cut the music announce it is pair up time, anyone who wants to BE PAIR WITH SOMEONE comes forward and we (hosts) quickly throw them at them to dance.  The dance then resumes as normal, or we the pairs do a dance by themselves and then it starts up again.  EZMODE solution. 

You can now clap.

I can see people getting annoyed with that though, having the music stop. Those who aren't afraid to ask others to dance usually go around asking anyway so we don't need to cut the music to have those same people come up and and have us pair them. We need some type of method that doesn't interrupt the flow of the dance and somehow includes the shyer of the bunch.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #80 on: July 27, 2010, 12:08:09 am »
Well there is no need to stop the music, it can always just be switched to something else or just have people jump into what is on.  As for addressing shy people?  You have everyone who wants to do pairs go grab someone on the wall! (or something similar)  There will be plenty of people on the walls, trust me.

Personally The intro-ing shy people into a dance, is not a vary productive thing to do unless you are an ass about it.  Yes you can do it nicely too, but there are going to be tired people and there will be those who are just too shy.  The other person has to know when to push it or give up and grab her friend! :D   This is not an easy thing to judge.  If you want shies dancing however that is just about the only way to do it.  I don't see something like raising your hand working at all.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2010, 12:18:57 am »
Maybe our King could announce over the microphone as a song starts if anyone wishes to be randomly paired up to dance please step forward. From their hosts can pair people up and if there's anyone left over from pairing up the dancers, a host can jump in to fill that spot? This can happen once in a while, the rest of the time hosts (as well as the other non shy people) will be going around asking people to dance, conversing, doing host things. xD

Anyway, if anyone wants ideas seen for hosts or people running the dance they should be posted more in here: http://www.kumoricon.org/forums/index.php?topic=13089.0
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 12:20:14 am by kimiski »

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2010, 12:43:37 am »
That works

Offline Sui Fong

• Chibi
« Reply #83 on: July 31, 2010, 06:14:42 pm »
I remember reading some of the rules and things about the Kcon09 masquerade and had a few questions of my own about this year.

How dressed up do people get for this?
I know dresses/ties are required unless it's cosplay, but how formal does one dress?

What night is it usually on?
I can't stay the whole weekend (yay recession) but I want to bring an outfit if I'll be there that night. I might be able to rearrange when I'll go based on when the Masque is.

Do most people just wear plain masks with their outfit or is some effort put into making it a part of the ensemble? Decoration, size, shape, etc.

Hey, thought I'd answer this for ya. as far as the formality, cocktail dresses are fine, but something nice. and cosplay of course is ok. Last year it was on sun night (sat night was a concert). and as far as the masks go, i saw everything from painted on to really nice, so whaatever you want pretty much. Any more questions?
2013 (in the works): Soi Fong (Bleach), Faith (Mirrors Edge), Agito/Akito (Air Gear)
Stay tuned for more information at a later date.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #84 on: August 01, 2010, 06:09:13 pm »
As far as I know, masks are not required this time around.

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2010, 08:21:27 pm »
What if we built on the wallflower area for shy-er people idea? we could have a section along the wall people can go to in order to be randomly paired up with someone. There could be a host or two there to do the pairing up. When the pair is done dancing, they can come back to the area and be randomly paired up again, or just go off and do whatever. That way, everyone gets a chance to dance with a random partner without fear of someone not showing up after signing up.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2010, 08:33:52 pm »
Me likes, just how will we inform EVERYONE?  And then will we put a huge sign up, or section off an area with something?

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2010, 08:56:39 pm »
hmm......what about a sign or something at the entrance of whichever room is used for the dance, so people could see it before going in? or for like the first half hour the hosts could carry a sign indicating that there is a random pair up area. I'll try to think up some more options, but those are my two favorites so far.......

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #88 on: August 11, 2010, 01:34:29 am »
does anyone know if we have a song suggestion thread up? because if not one should be made so we can have a better list of dances this year.

Offline Cassiopeia

• Bunnygirl
    • Cake on a Plane!~
« Reply #89 on: August 11, 2010, 01:12:53 pm »
If you have a suggestion for a song, send it to me. Through email, preferably.

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #90 on: August 11, 2010, 01:32:35 pm »
What's an email I should use, then?

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #91 on: August 11, 2010, 02:17:12 pm »
Probably the one that says email in her profile.