Author Topic: Dance Request/Suggestion  (Read 8216 times)

Offline LanaChan

• Oni
    • http://www.livejournal.com/~lanachan
Dance Request/Suggestion
« on: December 23, 2004, 02:07:56 pm »
Alright here's the deal. I've been going to Sakura-con for 5+ years and have been to both Kumori-Cons. Out of all of these...

... there has been a grand total...

of ONE DANCE when the music was primarily anime-related/j-pop/j-rock.

Not that I have anything against other music... but if I wanted to dance to Trance/House/"Dance" mixes, I'd go to clubs. If I wanted 80's music I'd turn on my radio or pop on a couple of my CDs. At an anime con, I want to dance to anime-related music!

If it were a problem getting it, then I'd understand. But DUDE! I brought a stack of CDs with anime music on them. The DJ played...

...a grand total...

of ONE SONGoff of them! All he would have had to do was put them in, hit "Random" and BOOM! The dance is on with anime music.

My sister has the ParaPara Power of Animation mixes. All you have to do is turn them on and people can dance for hours! And with Tofu Records it's not like the stuff isn't out there.

So what do you say? Can we PLEASE have some TM Revolution at the dance next year? Some Two-Mix? Anything Hayashibara? Gackt? Acess? Utada Hikaru? Weiss? Le Arc en Ceil (sp?)? Some stuff from Initial D?  Any Yoko Kanno? Kotayni Kinya? The list goes on but PLEASE! A dance with more than one anime related tune in a three hour period.

Offline Daystar

• Secretary
  • Sailor Scout
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2004, 03:45:39 pm »
i think any dance that doesnt have rap music playing at it is fine with me... anime music would be an added perk =^.^=
'04 Volunteer
'05 Assistant to the Operations Director
'06 Info Booth
'07 Panels Staff
'08 Panels Coordinator
'09 Panels Coordinator
'10 Assistant Programming Director
'11 Assistant Programming Director
'12 Assistant Programming Director

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2004, 10:58:27 pm »
I have to agree. I don't think there was nearly enough "anime" music. I was at the dance for about 30 minutes and I heard TWO "anime" songs.... I obviously left at that point. I wasn't going to give up precious sleep for that. I didn't come to the dance to hear the same old crap that's playing every weekend at EVERY club... Sorry if I sound a little obnoxious, but I thought that we made it clear to the DJ in these forums BEFORE the dance that that was what we wanted. As far as obtaining music, I know THAT wasn't the issue... there is plenty out there, plenty of people offered to loan their stuff, and there was plenty of time to get it together. I also felt the sound in the room wasn't that great either. I've been to many clubs and many concerts, and I felt that it all could've been much better (I don't believe those speakers were designed to be played that loudly. I am not at all complaining about how loud it was, just that you must use the proper equipment and make sure it CAN play at the levels you will be playing it at.). The dance floor was also WAY too small, but I realize that that much might not have been in the cons control.

I realize that's quite the complaint, but I feel you guys are more than capable of making the improvements for next year. ;)

Offline FilkAeris

• Chibi
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2004, 02:20:38 pm »
I utterly agree with those calling for more anime music.  That one glorious dance at Sakuracon was one of the best dances I've ever attended.  I would /love/ to see that kind of fun again.

Heck, when I gave the DJ my anime mix at Kumoricon this year and asked him to play "Go!!" from Naruto, he balked a bit because he was afraid it would "kill the floor".  I got the same complaints at Sakuracon last year, but they refused to even play /any/ anime music.  At least the Kumoricon DJ was understanding and gave it a shot, and the crowd /loved/ it!

We're not going to walk out if you start playing anime music, DJ dears!  We're anime fans!  At an anime /convention/!  If there's one thing that'll guarantee you a happy crowd, it's ANIME related music!

...if we want to go to a rave, we can go somewhere else.  After all, not to beat a dead horse or anything, but...this /is/ an anime convention.  ^_^

KUMORICON 2014: BEST. CON. EVER! LET'S DO IT ALL AGAIN IN 2015!

Offline Ronime

• Chibi
    • http://www.ronime.net/
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2004, 08:59:47 pm »
when you go to a rave at an anime con, id expect there to be *gasp* OMG!!! ANIME MUSIC! >.<
beware the ronime XD

Whats the point in being the director if i cant be evil dictator every once in a while?

http://www.ronime.net

Anonymous

Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2004, 01:14:42 am »
GET ONE PEICE MUSIC IT ROCKS ALL THE BEGINNINGS AND ENDINGS AND THE DANCE DANCE CARNIVAL MUSIC AS WELL im sorry if im so excited its just that One Peice rocks

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 10:17:29 pm »
I completely agree with the previous posters (especially my salem peeps  :D ) about the need for a dance with ALL ANIME MUSIC.  

Honestly, when I went into the dance all I heard was this super lame and super loud rave music.  I walked right out and went to find something else to do.  I really find it amazing that at previous cons there was a big lack of anime music at the dances.  And DJ's that refuse to play ANY anime music???  What gives?
The trick is not minding.

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2004, 02:40:33 pm »
We seriously needed anime music at the dance last time and it was borng to be at a ANIME convention without anime music

Anonymous

Re: Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2005, 02:42:01 pm »
Quote from: "LanaChan"

If it were a problem getting it, then I'd understand. But DUDE! I brought a stack of CDs with anime music on them. The DJ played...

...a grand total...

of ONE SONGoff of them! All he would have had to do was put them in, hit "Random" and BOOM! The dance is on with anime music.

To be fair to the DJ's though giving someone a stack of CDs while the dance is going on and saying, here play this, just doesn't work and is unfair.  For one there is the PG-13 rating to be concerned with.  It only takes one song with explicit lyrics to send hoards of parental complaints to shut down the con.  Second, there is the flow of the dance to be concerned with.  If your unfamiliar with the music, and are trying to play the crowd to get the most people staying on the dance floor the last thing you want to do is play an ackward song, such as the one from the stand alone complex that was spun.  Music without a beat, kills the dance floor and makes everyone look for a different room, no matter how cool it sounds at home with your peeps.  And third, this is the second Kumori con, the first one the dance was done off a lap top computer.  At least this one had mixing to it.  I think this years dance was much better than last years.  And I'm expecting this years to be even better.  
      Whenever I listen to a DJ I want one song to beat match into another, no matter what the type of music.  I can put my own computer on random and stay at home listening to anime music.  At a dance I want to feel the beat and be amazed at how smooth the transition from one song is to another.  If I hear a harsh transition between songs, it makes me want to flee from the crappy mix.  The very thought of putting songs on random for the dance makes me not want to show up for the dance next year.  That kind of live juke boxing doesn't require a person, it's a cue list.   And I think it's a step backwards for the dance.

Offline rarnom

• Chibi
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2005, 06:18:22 pm »
Sorry guest-person, but I for one disagree.  I'd gladly take a bunch of anime songs put on 'random' over a stream of loud and obnoxious non-anime rave music that smoothly transitions from one song to the other.

I do agree that it is kind of unfair to bring a stack of cd's at the dance and drop them at the dj and say 'play these' just because that is putting someone on the spot, but if it is an issue of keeping the dance pg-13 then I don't see how playing anime music would even pose a problem seeing as how anime music is typically either /instrumental/ or /in Japanese/.  If anything, playing standard rave music might pose more of an issue with parents.

what needs to happen here is better planning based on what con-goers want.  If the dance has a person in charge of music content, maybe this person should start NOW by taking requests and asking people to suggest titles or even better, sending mp3's or making other ways for people to get their requests in.  There needs to be a 'go-to' person that anyone can contact with all dance related issues.

Either way, this is apparently an issue that probably should be dealt with more aggressively.  Sure there are only a few people on this thread complaining, but I am sure there are more who feel the same.
The trick is not minding.

Offline Irnogs

• Chibi
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2005, 11:39:31 am »
Yep, Rarnom's right. And like I said above, we told the DJ in the forums what we wanted played BEFORE the dance, so why didn't we hear it? I don't want rave music and an anime convention. If I wanted rave music, I'd go to a rave. The con's in Portland for crying out loud, so I'm sure that there was one going on right down the street if THAT'S what I wanted. And besides, when a DJ is hired for an ANIME convention, and given ample time to plan on what to play and such, I think that it's their responsibility as a PAID PROFFESSIONAL to familiarize themselves with what people are requesting to be played. It's their JOB!

Offline Kyuubi

• Catgirl
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2005, 05:57:19 pm »
i agree with Irnogs

Offline Hige

• Sailor Scout
Hello
« Reply #12 on: January 19, 2005, 05:00:44 pm »
YES I AGREE we are going to An Anime Convention then we listen to ANIME MUSIC At the dance not stuff we can hear on a Radio or at School dances...ANIME ANIME ANIME THATS WHAT WE WHANNA HERE
ROCKIN ANIME MUSIC BWA HA HA!!!!
cRaNk It Up AnImE mUsIc!!!!
ひげ 馬
Cosplays 2010
Pirate France
Young Russia
Belarus
Canada
Possibly-Oz or Hungry
America depends on Jacket

Offline Bunny_Mae

• Sailor Scout
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2005, 01:46:17 pm »
I completely agree with everyone who has posted. We are at an anime convention, so why wouldn't we want anime music? And people still listen to the radio and dance to it even though there isn't a smooth transition from one song to the next. All the weddings I have been to have had DJ's that have played whatever the crowd requested and there was no planning, no transitions involved. If all that the DJ's has to do is push the play button on a computer then why do we even need to hire a special DJ? Why not have somone that we know will play what we want be the DJ? Guy, who did the AMV's last year, could do it! I mean anybody could do it! If anything, just provide us a stereo system and a lap top with a media player and we can bring our own CD's and just randomly play them. Heck, all we really would need is a stereo with, like, a five CD player and some a good speaker system and we can put them in a hit 'random' or 'shuffle'. I mean how hard can it be?
~I'm Addicted to Chocolate, I used to Snort Cocoa~

Offline DashtheGnome

• Cabbit
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 07:42:15 am »
Quote from: "Daystar"
i think any dance that doesnt have rap music playing at it is fine with me... anime music would be an added perk =^.^=
I second that!
Dash
Staff preservation 2007
Cat Ear Tech 2005-2007
I wanted everyone to survive the con.

Offline BakazokuJoe

• Sailor Scout
    • http://bakazoku.net/
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2005, 03:24:52 pm »
Anime music for the anime people.  I listen to normal music all year but while at a convention I have to admit that I want the experience to be fully anime!
What is your favorite?

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/airotciv87
^^
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2005, 07:57:57 am »
please, please, PLEASE have anime music for the dance ^^ it would be good to have some TMR and DDR music to dance too ^^ since it is, after all, an anime convention ^^
i am asthenophobic, Cleithrophobic, dinophobic, and geroscophobic.

but i am NOT Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2005, 11:00:24 am »
Who all listens to Japan-a-radio?
~Sean Larson~

Offline Neko_Chan

• Bunnygirl
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2005, 11:09:09 am »
Quote from: "QEvil"
Who all listens to Japan-a-radio?

I have two things... Neither of them are that though. xD Once on a flight to and back from Florida to Salt Lake City to Eugene I heard a few Japanese songs on thoes in-flight radios... But when the stupid ass 'The Notbook' movie was playing, you couldn't listen to /just that station/. It made me angry.
And Second, I listen to Morrich alot on my computer, so I'm always up-to-date on Japanese music... Not that I know who's singing it most of the time. I also watch Pop.Japan.TV on AZN TV (It was International channel until just recently).

I agree, I think an Anime convention should have Anime music. Rave music annoys me, except when it's in that opening part of 'Invoke' from T.M. Revoultion.

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2005, 01:47:33 am »
Wow, i never made it to the dance last year because we drove up there from Salem the whole time instead of staying in a hotel, but was it really that bad? I mean...wouldnt you expect anime music at an ANIME convention? Please no rap! I could gag. If i wanted to dance to rap i could just go out a Saturday night to dance. Lets pack the dance room with otaku in cosplay shakin the night away!

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Anonymous

Dance Request/Suggestion
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2005, 02:01:49 am »
very interesting...

Offline shadowfox

• Catgirl
    • http://www.myspace.com/airotciv87
^.~
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2005, 12:12:28 am »
Quote from: "kimiski"
Wow, i never made it to the dance last year because we drove up there from Salem the whole time instead of staying in a hotel, but was it really that bad? I mean...wouldnt you expect anime music at an ANIME convention? Please no rap! I could gag. If i wanted to dance to rap i could just go out a Saturday night to dance. Lets pack the dance room with otaku in cosplay shakin the night away!

agreed T_T i cant dance to rap AT ALL!!! considering i dont really like rap anyways T_T
i am asthenophobic, Cleithrophobic, dinophobic, and geroscophobic.

but i am NOT Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobic