Author Topic: 2010 Cosplay Contest Rules & Sign-Ups  (Read 19763 times)

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
2010 Cosplay Contest Rules & Sign-Ups
« on: March 10, 2010, 09:34:46 pm »
Rules and sign-ups can be found here.
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline Pai009

• Cabbit
Re: 2010 Cosplay Contest Rules & Sign-Ups
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 03:50:04 am »
If you just want to participate in the Workmanship portion of the contest what do you fill out on the entry form?

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 07:20:58 am »
question do the spots fill up fast for skits? Because that way can finish our script

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2010, 08:08:22 pm »
If you just want to participate in the Workmanship portion of the contest what do you fill out on the entry form?

(1) Check entry type = "Costume only"
(2) select solo costume (or group costume if in a group)
(3) Enter your name; leave Title of skit blank ; enter email address
(4) enter your name & name of character you're cosplaying as; enter badge type (A=Adult; M=Minor; C=child <-- basically we're asking how old you are, but this is easiest); put a check next to the costume category that you fit in (novice, journeyman, master)
(5) Select appropriate MC instructions - likely either "just read my character's name and my name" or you can write in what you want the mc to say. then email the form to cosplay@kumoricon.org.

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2010, 08:13:40 pm »
question do the spots fill up fast for skits? Because that way can finish our script
You can send in your entry before the script is finished and then send an update later on - changes are allowed (nothing is set in stone until the actual convention). This way you can be assured that you actually have "dibs" on a spot (the sooner the better!!).

In previous years, Kumoricon has not run out of spaces for skit entries - we often have a few skits that drop out at last minute due to illness or other problems - however, costume entries sometimes have to be limited because we occasionally get way too many people wanting their costumes judged and don't have enough time to judge them all (there are about 4 hours allotted to judging, and we typically offer about 4 minutes per costume / costume group).

When you send an update, be sure to state in the email that it's an update and show "original" and "new" data so that I know what data has changed (also so I don't accidentally create a duplicate record thinking that you're a new entry rather than an update). Quite simple, really.

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2010, 09:37:22 pm »
Does the art/ character referece that you submit have to be "official"? for example, my friend and I want to enter the contest this year with vocaloid outfits from a video, but there aren't really any official arts that are good on the detail. So we made our own designs. would something like that work? or other people's fan art?
check out my facebook page!! www.facebook.com/macnleecosplay

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 01:40:47 pm »
Does the art/ character referece that you submit have to be "official"? for example, my friend and I want to enter the contest this year with vocaloid outfits from a video, but there aren't really any official arts that are good on the detail. So we made our own designs. would something like that work? or other people's fan art?

Bring in what you used to develop the characters.
Basically the documentation is used to remind the judges of who the character is (and sometimes the character may be one that the judges haven't seen) and allow them to see how accurately you reproduced the character.
So in your case bring photos of the vocaloids that you used to create your character. What sources did you use to guide you in picking to add particular features?

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 04:49:27 pm »
^ Alright thanks! We used a mix of snapshots from the video, fanarts, and some ideas from other cosplayers.

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2010, 03:05:02 pm »
The cosplay contest says: No excessive violence.  A few people were wanting to do a theatrical fight scene out of an anime using real martial arts, will this be allowed?  If not, is there another contest or event happening during the con where we could do a skit like this besides going out of the con area?

Offline StarryShay

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2010, 12:37:57 pm »
Sorry if this has already been asked, but when will we know if we get a spot?

Offline CLAP_attack

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviant Art
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2010, 01:40:02 pm »
wait. does this count as just regular skits to ?
kcon plans 2013 ' plans ;

Minato Arisato - P3 ( 50% )
Renzou Shima - AnE ( 0% )
Finny in wonderland - Kuroshitsuji ( 0% )

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2010, 06:48:47 pm »
I'll email you back as soon as I receive your entry and let you know.
Current count:
6 skits
6 costume entries.

Please send in your entries soon!!!!

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #12 on: July 17, 2010, 01:10:57 pm »
I'm filling out a form for Nya and myself, and I'm a bit confused on the "name and character portrayed" section. For our characters, we're doing Vocaloid alt outfits. Do I need to specifically put when I want us to be called onstage, or just the character names? For example, should I write "Meiko" or "Dark Woods Circus Meiko"?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline meep

• Bunnygirl
    • blog
« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2010, 05:50:42 pm »
I'll email you back as soon as I receive your entry and let you know.
Current count:
6 skits
6 costume entries.

Please send in your entries soon!!!!
I emailed me and Shay's entry a while back... I still have not gotten a reply

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 01:46:49 pm »
Will stage combat be allowed in the cosplay contest skit?

Offline majinekochan

• Catgirl
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2010, 04:25:28 pm »

Ok. So I have a similar question. If cosplaying a character from a book, and there's little to no art (official or fan) what should I do? Should I include a written description, and/or draw out the character myself?
Also, the wings for this cosplay (easily half of the costume) were built by a friend of mine, who wouldn't be attending Kcon. Would this disqualify me from the workmanship category, even if I did the rest myself?

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2010, 05:17:38 pm »
Will the tech rehearsal be at 8AM Sunday again?

Offline tdoiwitcohe

• Cabbit
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2010, 09:59:19 am »
Under "entrant name" in the registration form, do you need badge names or actual names?
Kumoricon 2010: Kabuto

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2010, 03:47:47 pm »
As soon as I receive your form, I'll let you know.   :)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2010, 03:49:53 pm »
I'm filling out a form for Nya and myself, and I'm a bit confused on the "name and character portrayed" section. For our characters, we're doing Vocaloid alt outfits. Do I need to specifically put when I want us to be called onstage, or just the character names? For example, should I write "Meiko" or "Dark Woods Circus Meiko"?

We need your name so we know which name to put on the certificate should you win. The character name can be whatever name you want - it's mostly so we can distinguish between person A and person b. (so Meiko would be fine for chara name)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2010, 03:51:20 pm »

I emailed me and Shay's entry a while back... I still have not gotten a reply

I didn't receive it for some reason (at least I think so, I checked your profile and I don't have any emails from the email addy listed in your profile.). Please resend. Not sure what happened to it

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2010, 03:59:33 pm »

Boy, you go on vacation without internet access and questions build up!
Several answers to questions:

Tdoiwitcohe:  entrant name is the name you want to see on the certificate should you win. I would expect that you'd rather have your real name there rather than a badge name.

LtCommanderRichie:  things are scheduled by programming. due to various other things happening in the Main events hall, we will unfortunately be forced to have the tech rehearsal starting at 8 am.
I will be sending out a full schedule for all cosplay related items to all who have preregistered for Cosplay within the next few days.

Various, regarding stage combat:   no actual physical contact with the stage combat. So you can pretend to whack each other with swords, or swing fists at each other (without actually hitting the other person). No projectiles - because those can easily be misdirected and fly out and whack an audience member.

majinekochan: bring the source material you used to create your costume. How did you figure out that your character wears that color and has clothes shaped like that? Likely you printed out a picture or uploaded the picture to your cell and had that with you while creating the costume. That's what we're looking for. 

"Also, the wings for this cosplay (easily half of the costume) were built by a friend of mine, who wouldn't be attending Kcon. Would this disqualify me from the workmanship category, even if I did the rest myself?" 
          That's fine. Just tell the judges which parts you created yourself and which parts were created by someone else.

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2010, 11:44:06 pm »
I never got a reply email from my entry. Should I resubmit? I sent it in a couple weeks ago.

Offline Jamiche

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2010, 12:36:31 pm »
To be on the safe side, resubmit.  Email to cosplay@kumoricon.org
2015-2016 Director of Programming
2014 Assistant Director of Programming
2008-2013 Director of Programming
2007 Tech Manager & Video Room Coordinator, Manga Library & Cosplay Chess
2006 Video Room & Karaoke Manager
2005 Video Room Coordinator

Offline TalkNerdToMeBaby

• Sailor Scout
    • Facebook
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2010, 01:07:32 pm »
Okay. I'll have to do the same thing as well. I never got a response. Thanks!
Kumoricon 2011 Cosplays:
Secret - Disney
Secret - (Maybe)

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2010, 03:26:09 pm »
Sounds good.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2010, 10:24:00 pm »
So how long are walk-ons? Ten seconds? Thirty seconds?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline tdoiwitcohe

• Cabbit
    • My Deviantart page
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2010, 11:00:17 am »
Do we have stage dimensions yet?
Kumoricon 2010: Kabuto

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2010, 11:03:52 am »
Walk-ons should be no more than 30 seconds - if it takes longer to do your bit, then consider calling your entry a skit (besides, that doubles your chances of winning something since you'll be entering both costume and skit)  :)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2010, 11:04:51 am »
Do we have stage dimensions yet?

In theory, we're using the same stage as last year (given it's same hotel / same room and all ) 
Last year it was: "about 36' wide by 16' deep and 2' high. "
There may or may not be a 6' wide by 12' or 18' long catwalk about 1' off the ground.
All staging is made of 8' by 6' pieces. 
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 11:11:22 am by Runa »

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2010, 11:15:32 am »

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2010, 08:08:39 pm »
Walk-ons should be no more than 30 seconds - if it takes longer to do your bit, then consider calling your entry a skit (besides, that doubles your chances of winning something since you'll be entering both costume and skit)  :)
Okay, I think we'll just stay as a walk-on since we want to do something cool as a skit someday :]
So I put on my form that I'd like our music to start playing as the MCs announce us. Including that, the music is a bit over 30 seconds. Is that okay?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2010, 08:16:02 pm »
Okay, I think we'll just stay as a walk-on since we want to do something cool as a skit someday :]
So I put on my form that I'd like our music to start playing as the MCs announce us. Including that, the music is a bit over 30 seconds. Is that okay?
Yeah, they'll just fade it out at the end. That's what they did for us last year.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)
-Cordelia (Fire Emblem Awakening)
-Marauder Ashe (League of Legends)
-??? Who knows what else. Probably a cosplay I can wear my glasses with.

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2010, 08:19:05 pm »
Yeah, they'll just fade it out at the end. That's what they did for us last year.
I actually put a fade in myself lololol. I'm a fancy-pants. But that sounds good too, I'd have to shorten it by about ten seconds but I'm lazy.
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2010, 09:28:38 pm »
I actually put a fade in myself lololol. I'm a fancy-pants. But that sounds good too, I'd have to shorten it by about ten seconds but I'm lazy.
Lol It's better to have it be longer than shorter just in case.
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline nyahaha

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2010, 09:08:24 am »
Yay! you finished the music katie?

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2010, 02:14:00 pm »
I've replied to ALL entries I've received up until now (8/31 2:13 PM). If you've sent in an entry and have NOT heard from me, I did not receive it. Oh, and going offline Thurs 9/2 thru end of convention.  :)

Offline bunny_jean

• Catgirl
« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2010, 03:16:38 pm »
I've replied to ALL entries I've received up until now (8/31 2:13 PM). If you've sent in an entry and have NOT heard from me, I did not receive it. Oh, and going offline Thurs 9/2 thru end of convention.  :)
We can still just hand them into you directly at the convention correct?
Line up:
-Kageyama (Haikyuu)

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 08:42:54 am »
Yes, up until the time of the pre-meeting on Saturday night. :)
I'll not be checking email after 3PM Thursday, so if you submit after that time, I'll need the paper version (since I seriously doubt there will be free internet at the hotel and I am not paying $13/day just to get email...).

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 01:38:25 pm »
Oh, just got the word from tech guys:
We prefer audio be provided as a WAV or MP3 file on a USB stick or burned onto a CD.  :)

Also, got confirmation that (1) we WILL have live feed in green room and (2) in theory Cosplay will be recorded (but no news on how we get copies)

Offline LtCommanderRichie

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 02:20:26 pm »
Alrighty, MP3 burned onto a CD it is since I own no USB sticks.

I don't need the CD back if you ever find me, so feel free to use it to your own nefarious ends and write over it when all's said and done.

We bring them to either the pre-meet or the tech rehearsal, yeah?

Offline fleur_fraise

• Bunnygirl
    • ka-san
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 06:43:17 pm »
I'll put my mp3 on a CD, but just in case it doesn't work, will it being on my iPod work in an emergency?
Current Kcon Plans:
-Ringo Oginome
-Anarchy Stocking
-Roxy Richter

Offline Soramunesanzun

• Catgirl
« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 08:09:20 pm »
hurr durr I am excited but there is so much changing i'm gonna have to do augh. I really hope my time slot for the costume judging is as close to the performance itself as possible 8I

Offline Runa

• Catgirl
« Reply #43 on: September 02, 2010, 02:49:29 pm »
Speaking of schedules....
In addition to Cosplay, the Main Events will have “Robotech Unplugged” 11:30-1 and Axis Powers Hetalia Screening 1:30-3, so our schedule is not as open as it traditionally has been. Please be sure to keep this schedule handy so you know where to go and when.

Notes for each event are included in description:
=========================================================
When: 20:00 –21:00 SATURDAY (yes, 8PM-9PM SATURDAY! )

Where: Workshop (aka Forum – this is NOT Creation Station, but rather another room likely in the other building across the street; check the map)

What: Cosplay pre-meeting
Who: At least ONE member of each group MUST check in.

Why: Final Deadline for all entries / changes; get schedule for tech rehearsal and costume judging; ask Cosplay staff questions; hear any last-minute announcements; officially check-in as a participant.
           - PLEASE arrive on time to reduce chaos and staff stress.
           - Costumes NOT required at this meeting
When: 08:00-11:00 Sunday

Where: Main Events Room

What: Cosplay technical rehearsal

Who: ALL skit entrants and walk-ons. (Sorry, this is the only time that we could get – be glad it wasn’t set for 5AM-8AM.)

- Walk-ons will walk across the stage once each to get a feel for the size of the stage and runway, and to determine when and where to pose.  Walk-ons will be the first time slot – 08:00 to about 08:15 - since this is rather quick. Costumes NOT required at this meeting, but a good idea for those who wish to "test" how difficult it will be to get on/off stage in the costume.
- Skit entrants. Please arrive on time. This is a technical walk-through to help coordinate ninja assistance, lighting, music, etc., not a full rehearsal, so you will only be on stage long enough to test your audio and confirm technical queues. You can rehearse elsewhere afterward.
- You may stay or leave at your discretion, however if you miss your turn, your group will be disqualified. (Besides, if you stay, you can see the other acts)
When: 1100 - 1530 Sunday

Where: ROUNDS (aka Green Room)

What: Costume Workmanship judging.
- Be sure to arrive at least 10 –15 minutes prior to your scheduled time slot – if we are running ahead of time, we may pull you in sooner.
- Costumes REQUIRED (duh).

- Bring your costume documentation (you will keep it with your possessions so we don't accidentally lose or damage it)

When: 1530 Sunday

Where: ROUNDS (aka Green Room)

Who: All entrants must be present in Green Room.

What: Preparation to go on stage – NOTE: Seating starts at 15:30, so if you have elaborate costume or props, you may come down earlier, but Please don't interrupt the costume judging)

- Costumes REQUIRED (duh). 
- We were PROMISED a video feed into Green Room.

When: 16:00 Sunday

What: Cosplay Contest
            - Follow directions of Green Room "Mom," cosplayer wranglers, and stage crew for when and how to head to the stage for your act.
            - After you act is over, you may either find a seat in the main events hall or return to the Green Room to hang out or watch the rest of the competition on the video feed.

?? PM Sunday - "Half-time Show" and Winner announcements
            After Cosplay Competition ends, The Anime Hunters will put on a special skit to entertain the audience while the judges compile the results and determine winners. Please stick around for that since it's expected to be good. As soon as the judges are finished deciding (they're rather efficient!!), they'll announce the results and call the winners up on stage to take a bow*.

* Prizes will be available in the programming suite starting a few hours after the winners are announced. (Winners receive certificates and will be allowed to CHOOSE THEIR OWN PRIZES from the selection of prize packets).

Offline camname21

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #44 on: September 02, 2010, 07:00:11 pm »
Why is there no Workshop Forum for this on the maps given to us??