Author Topic: Anime Clubs / Gatherings / Resources.  (Read 2824 times)

Offline MGmirkin

• Oni
Anime Clubs / Gatherings / Resources.
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:12:56 pm »
Any chance on a new section of the forum or a dedicated thread for folks looking for anime friends, that is to say any formal or informal anime groups around town or in different parts of the country (if you want to expand it that far)?

I'd like to meet up with other like-minded folk to watch anime, but have no idea who to contact or where to go. Seems like there needs to be some kind of clearing house for folks just wanting to get together however informally or for people wanting to start up their own watching group and find others to join them...

Heck, if it's a good idea, folks could even use THIS thread if a Mod wants to make it sticky or something.

I guess the idea is to in some way generate real-life interactions by way of this site. Or to have some way of finding similar folks.

Maybe there could even be different groups for different interests: manga, anime, cosplay, and the various sub-genres and derivatives thereof.

So, for example someone could post up:

----------

"Informal cosplay group in Beaverton, OR.

Generally meets second saturday of the month

Appx 15 active members, looking for more.

PM for details on location & time"

Etc.

----------

Just a thought. Didn't see a section this kind of thing seems to fit directly into. So, figured I'd post it here. I assume it would be of general interest?

Best,
~MG

Offline KHking

• Catgirl
Re: Anime Clubs / Gatherings / Resources.
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 04:15:23 pm »
I like the idea... but so many all already established I don't know if it's worth it.

Save Caprica!!

Offline MGmirkin

• Oni
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 04:15:41 pm »
For instance, I know there's NOVA: Northern Oregon & Vancouver Anime

I think there's a PSU anime group, probably a PCC one too?

Are there other informal get-togethers? Are there any "Meetup" groups in the Portland area? I tried searching, but only came up with things about "animals" rather than "anime."

If there's a bunch of smaller groups in one locale, would it make sense for them to hook up and expand into one or two larger groups?

Just some ideas.

~MG

Offline MGmirkin

• Oni
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 04:19:32 pm »
I like the idea... but so many all already established I don't know if it's worth it.

So many what are established? Informal anime groups? Well, I'd say: "great! post them!" (Assuming they're looking for new membership.) Contact info, web sites, if any, etc.

I think it could be a nifty resource... And, like I said, it's not just for establishing "new groups," but for maybe listing / finding existing / well-known (in some circles) groups... I'd rather find an existing group than try to establish a new one. Just don't have a clue where to look or who to talk to. Tentatively contacted the NOVA-anime group. Would have contacted the PSU group or the PCC group, but I figure they're specific to students of those campuses and may not be for non-students.

Anywho, if it fills a need, I think it would be cool. :)

Best,
~MG

Offline Hazuza

• Bunnygirl
    • DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 04:40:02 pm »
Isn't this what the Plan Your Own Adventure forum is for?

... Well, it isn't exactly an organized "resource", though there are a few clubs listed.
---

EDIT:
Ohwait you're gonna make this a list. xD That sounds pretty cool, actually.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010, 07:19:48 pm by Hazuza »

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2010, 07:14:22 pm »
I'd like to get into a Tabletop RPG group, but I'll settle for an anime group, too. My place might be a little too small for a gathering of more than like 5 people, though T_T
Weekends in south King county, WA (from south Seattle to Auburn) would be best for me.