Author Topic: Watch the anime or read the manga?  (Read 6432 times)

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
Watch the anime or read the manga?
« on: January 29, 2010, 09:25:55 pm »
i prefer to read the manga so i can give the characters their voices instead of having to suffer through their voice if its bad in the anime.

Offline KogaRyu

• Catgirl
Re: Watch the anime or read the manga?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 09:49:21 pm »
I enjoy both and kinda go on series by series basis. Stuff like Gantz or Initial D I prefer to read, due to the fact that a 3-5min conversation in the manga will get stretched to fill an entire episode in the anime often leaving you on lame and needless cliffhanger.

Team Koga

oslapedo

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 09:52:23 pm »
It dependsss.

FMA, Gunslinger Girl manga = way better.

FLCL, Cowboy Bebop anime = way better.

Generally the thing that came out first will be better but I'm sure there are exceptions.

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 09:52:36 pm »
Manga. Got tired of watching anime, takes too long, and I only like rewatching old series I like. (like Wolf's Rain)

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 09:54:13 pm »
the animes usually seem to just drag things out and have the longest conversations. the mangas just get to the point.

oslapedo

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 09:55:49 pm »
Truth. I like manga more but some anime are better, like my spiffy diagram shows.~

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 09:57:12 pm »
yeah, that IS one spiffy diagram.

and the mangas are cheaper! :]

Offline Kimiski

• Bunnygirl
    • Kimiski's Artwork
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 10:58:06 pm »
It dependsss.

FMA, Gunslinger Girl manga = way better.

FLCL, Cowboy Bebop anime = way better.

Generally the thing that came out first will be better but I'm sure there are exceptions.

Agreed, it really does depend.
Some animes I just get so caught up in the beauty of the animation as well as the way the story is told and the music. On the other hand, with manga I love when it's more detailed and goes more in depth with the plotline and characters pasts.

Attendee since: 2004
Volunteer since: 2010
Staffer since: 2012

Offline The_Geek

• Chibi
    • My Deviant Art
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2010, 01:47:33 pm »
I prefer the manga in almost anything I've seen other than Kuroshitsuji. That was just the perfect plot with the perfect ending.
All depression has its roots in self-pity, and all self-pity is rooted in people taking themselves too seriously.
                                + Tom Robbins

Offline Man of the Public

• Catgirl
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2010, 05:23:51 pm »
The answer is both.

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2010, 11:37:20 pm »
i like being able to tote around a manga book so you can read it if you're bored.

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 09:14:00 am »
Mainly the manga because it doesn't (always) take it's sweet time with scenes.  Plus in most cases the manga is the original version so I like to read the creator's idea.

To give an example on the time part, I watched Eyeshield 21 where the scene included a flashback while they were playing.  The one play and the flashback took a total of 8 minutes.  I went back and checked the manga for that scene and it was 3 pages.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2010, 12:51:17 pm »
I like anime personally...although I do agree that the original creator's work is usually distorted when animated, I still prefer watching it over reading it. My G/F & I can watch it at the same time then...we love to watch movies & shows together. I don't really spend a lot of time reading with the little free-time I get.

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2010, 07:45:47 pm »
mostly Manga because It helps me study movements and the art tends to be more detailed. And it's easier to carry around with you to enjoy at your leisure. I also feel it's less expensive. >_>
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2010, 08:17:46 pm »
Most anime just seems like a bunch of fillers with no real linear story; you can skip around without missing much usually. I do like the animation in anime far better than manga, though. I prefer dubbed anime (as uncool and blasphemous as that sounds), because I like to be totally immersed in the art itself rather than the words at the bottom (sometimes I don't even pay attention to the plot.) Also I don't have to listen to a bunch of 6 year old squeaky voices. .... supervillains are an exception to that, of course >.>
In my own opinion, manga has far lower standards in its art and mostly what I see is a bunch of speed lines. .. I guess that depends on if you're reading shounen or shoujo, though.

To each their own. Being an artist myself, the most important thing is the art, so ... that's why I choose anime.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2010, 08:38:35 pm »
would you recommend eye shield? chris really likes the manga
superjaz, that is jaz with one z count'um ONE z!
Proud mom of 2 awesome kids

oslapedo

« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 08:50:30 pm »
If I HAD to choose a medium I'd pick manga. Easily accesible, inexpensive, art, awesomeness, you can just flip through boring parts instead of having to sit through it, more engaging, etc etc etc

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 09:20:44 pm »
would you recommend eye shield? chris really likes the manga
It's worth a look I think.  I only saw a handful of episodes off of youtube and it seemed pretty good.  From what I remember it feels a little slower than one might imagine while reading it.  Thankfully they don't drag one game out for a dozen episodes.

Offline Cyprus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 09:24:56 pm »
Most anime just seems like a bunch of fillers with no real linear story; you can skip around without missing much usually. I do like the animation in anime far better than manga, though. I prefer dubbed anime (as uncool and blasphemous as that sounds), because I like to be totally immersed in the art itself rather than the words at the bottom (sometimes I don't even pay attention to the plot.) Also I don't have to listen to a bunch of 6 year old squeaky voices. .... supervillains are an exception to that, of course >.>
In my own opinion, manga has far lower standards in its art and mostly what I see is a bunch of speed lines. .. I guess that depends on if you're reading shounen or shoujo, though.

To each their own. Being an artist myself, the most important thing is the art, so ... that's why I choose anime.
This^ I also prefer the blasphemous dubs as I don't like to read my television lol.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2010, 09:34:30 pm »
except for YuYuhakusho that follows the manga So well!

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2010, 10:42:13 pm »
the manga is just so much better

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2010, 11:46:58 pm »
I'm going to eke by on a technicality, which this thread topic states, watch or read, it does not say BUY!

I got into this whole thing because I wanted to support good animation. It just so happened that I read a few manga, and got sick to death of reading American comic books afterwards. Some series, say Fruits Basket, you HAVE to read the mabga, or you just won't know the 1/2 of the story. And for me, even if you read the manga, you still may not get the entire story. Karin, or Chibi Vampire is another example, but even the manga cuts off too fast.

I think this argument is like deciding which is better, painting or sculpture. They serve two different purposes.

The biggest problem I have with manga, is that libraries or something like Netflix doesn't carry them, so I would have to actually buy them to read them.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Tanuki19

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2010, 11:50:22 pm »
I'm going to eke by on a technicality, which this thread topic states, watch or read, it does not say BUY!

I got into this whole thing because I wanted to support good animation. It just so happened that I read a few manga, and got sick to death of reading American comic books afterwards. Some series, say Fruits Basket, you HAVE to read the mabga, or you just won't know the 1/2 of the story. And for me, even if you read the manga, you still may not get the entire story. Karin, or Chibi Vampire is another example, but even the manga cuts off too fast.

I think this argument is like deciding which is better, painting or sculpture. They serve two different purposes.

The biggest problem I have with manga, is that libraries or something like Netflix doesn't carry them, so I would have to actually buy them to read them.

i liked the chibivampire manga so i decided to buy the first disc of the Karin anime and the plot was ENTIRELY different! it was a whole nother story but with some of the same characters!

Offline dshwshr55

• Chibi
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2010, 03:22:26 am »
I gotta agree with the Netflix thing. If you're into anime more (or maybe less) than manga, Netflix is less than $10 a month. If you spend more than $10 on manga per month, the alternative is watching it instead, where you can see up to 10 or so episodes for the price of one manga. Almost anything there, too.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2010, 04:43:25 pm »
Karin, as opposed to Chibi Vampire, is one of those production company ploys to milk as much out of the market ASAP before it dies. There's plenty of those.

Storied such as Kanon, Clannad, I would prefer to view the anime, as the series were done so well, that you can really feel the pacing and the drama unfold, whereas if you were speedreading a manga, you may miss the subtle cues.
Have Fun

Jay

oslapedo

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2010, 04:58:09 pm »
KEY/KyoAni anime are gorgeous, the manga adaptions don't even compare.

Offline superjaz

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2010, 06:41:14 pm »
also angelic layer anime is pretty different then the manga, good different

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2010, 08:17:48 pm »
I'm not a big fan of manga that seem to have taken cels directly from the anime. Gantz and Hellsing are two that come to my mind. Not that there is anything wrong with them, I just feel a big WHY?
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2010, 11:18:00 pm »
Storied such as Kanon, Clannad, I would prefer to view the anime, as the series were done so well, that you can really feel the pacing and the drama unfold, whereas if you were speedreading a manga, you may miss the subtle cues.
Wow, this reminded me of one of my favorite mangas.  It's Kanon, an unofficial version, but it is done incredibly well.  The pacing follows the slow and subtle speed and one of the best chapters has about 5 sentences through 20 pages.

Agreed with Angelic Layer anime > manga.  The manga, while fun, seemed too rushed and I would have enjoyed it if they stretched it out just a bit.