Poll

Is it anime?

Yes
0 (0%)
No
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: June 20, 2005, 11:29:45 pm

Author Topic: Is Loonatics: Unleashed Anime?  (Read 2120 times)

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
Is Loonatics: Unleashed Anime?
« on: June 20, 2005, 11:29:45 pm »
If you've heard or not heard, Looney Tune characters are being "Updated" and put into a new series called "Loonatics: Unleashed" (I believe that's the correct title).  In some clips and an article that I came across online, I noticed that a few people interviewed commented on giving the characters and story a sort of "Anime look/style."

As an anime fan, I felt insulted by the fact that some people think they can call something Anime just because of how it looks.  To me it felt more like the person they interviewed said that just to get some new anime fans interested in the series.

This has been in the back of my mind for awhile and I wanted to hear what others thought about this.

Offline EvilMonkey

• Founder
  • Catgirl
    • http://evilmonkeysean.livejournal.com
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 12:43:53 am »
Well, if you go by definition, then yes.  "Anime" is the french word for 'animation'.  We've given it the connotation that it's Japanese related, but in reality it's meant to describe all animation.

There are a few other non-japanese animations that we still title 'anime', and there is a sort of 'style' that can be attributed to 'anime', and that's usually the viewing style of how it's drawn.

For a long time US animation was drawn like a theater, there was the stage, and actors moved across it.  Just look at Scooby Doo for a perfect example of this.

Anime is usually more stylized, and tends to draw more extreme camera/viewing angles for certain shots.  US animation has been incorporating that, but there is still a sort of 'flatness' to some of the 'cartoons' nowadays.  There are others that have a much more 'anime' style influence to them (Teen Titans, for example).

I haven't seen the Loonatics: Unleashed, but it does at least seem worthy to see how well/poorly they fif at recreating this.
~Sean Larson~

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2005, 01:25:05 am »
It's suppose to come out this fall according to what I've found.

Maybe I was bitter at the idea that, well one, they're changing something that I really liked during my childhood that I never really found anything wrong with it.  Also, I just didn't like how the person being interviewed for it sounded more like "Yeah, see the character designs we have for them?  See how we've now made them more into superheros?  It's an anime!"

Offline Seraph

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2005, 01:42:33 am »
best idea imo is just wait and see what happens.  it may be turn out to be a well done show or it can fall flat on its face.
"Hm, the Moe is strong with this one..."
Kylite-"You and your TV Tropes!"<Refering to This Troper's ruined voc

Offline Negima

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2005, 02:02:34 am »
Quote from: "Kurimono"
best idea imo is just wait and see what happens.  it may be turn out to be a well done show or it can fall flat on its face.

I'm guessing the latter