Author Topic: Should comic book store carry manga?  (Read 5112 times)

Offline mizushimo

• Cabbit
Should comic book store carry manga?
« on: July 17, 2012, 07:56:02 pm »
A local comic store owner is thinking about carrying manga again. He tried to do this once a few years ago but barely sold anything. Now that Border's is gone he's thinking of trying again. What do you guys think? Is it a good idea? Can comic book fans be tempted to buy manga or are fanbases too seperate?

He also asked me to suggest some manga title that he could stock. Do you guys have any recommendations? I think they'd have to appeal to his regular customers. So maybe manga that are a little more mature and/or violent that aren't as well known as say "One Piece" or "Naruto" (he had no luck selling those). Also, they'd have to be titles that are currently licensed so that he could order them easily.

The only one I could think of was "Vagabond" (currently being published by Dark Horse). I have read so much manga but so little of it applies...

Offline EveofAbyss

• Bunnygirl
    • Facebook
Re: Should comic book store carry manga?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2012, 09:43:08 pm »
Absolutely! Comic fans and manga fans tread very much the same ground. The two are aspects of a common fandom, as far as I'm concerned, and I have seen many comic book stores that carry the "otaku supplies" to great success. Things From Another World is the big example that comes to mind. I most definitely would encourage comic book stores to carry manga and take advantage of the interest in comic books' Asian cousin.

As far as titles to carry: Claymore is still running and...awesome beyond description, lol. I don't read that much manga, so I'm not up on what is currently going, but I know there's a lot. Banya: The Explosive Delivery Man is one I personally love, but have never noticed anyone else mentioning. It is uber-violent but also very fun. There are also always the older titles like Akira, Trigun and Fullmetal Alchemist, too.

Buy my book of poems!
Lord Otaku commands you!

Offline Washougal_Otaku

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2012, 06:32:42 am »
Simply put: yes.

Manga is, in essence, Japanese comics. The best thing for a comic book store, or any place, is to offer as much diversity. There's a comic book store a block from my home that has a meager manga section, and the owner hates manga. Yet there was enough of a demand for it, so he has some. For people like me, it gives me a reason to go in. (Not really big on comics...).
My cosplay plans for 2022 (thus far): Vanir from Konosuba
My son's plans this year (thus far): Penguin Chiyo-chan from Azumanga Daioh

Offline Borzoi_Feet

• Sailor Scout
    • Fanart on Deviant Art
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2012, 11:20:12 am »
To echo but hopefully add more emphasis. YEEES.

Manga ARE comics. Manga in Japanese MEANS comics. I'm sick of the weird ass racism applied to this art form (though it also happens to animation too). That in stores comics from different countries end up being segregated, like it's embarrassing to be seen next to each other. Japan owes how manga became thanks to Osamu Tezuka, who in turn LOVED Walt Disney and American comics. We shouldn't be enemies! We should be inspiring each other! *A*

Sorry for the mild rant! ^^; As for recommendations, anything by Urasawa Naoki should be a good start. Alive by Kawashima, Mushishi by Urushibara, Wandering Son by Takako Shimura... really, any Josei and Seinen manga should do.
For all your stupid fandom comic needs: http://lilithnanhart.deviantart.com/

Offline Acheron

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2012, 11:32:08 am »
Going against the grain here, I wouldn't automatically say yes, but I wouldn't say no either. From what I've heard in the local indie bookstore scene, manga is the number one thing that gets shoplifted, and that's not even taking into account "hobotaku", the people who sit in front of the bookshelf, read manga like they were in a library, and get really bitchy when told not to.

Yes, manga are comics, and it will bring diversity to the store, but it may not be profitable for the owner, and might even bring in a crowd they don't want. I would also recommend more seinen/josei type comics like Borzoi_Feet suggested, as their readers seem a little more courteous than your average One Piece/Naruto fan. They're also something that American comics readers are more likely to get into than straight shonen/shojo.
Kumoricon 2014:

Offline Prinz Eugen

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2012, 03:37:45 pm »
To echo but hopefully add more emphasis. YEEES.

Manga ARE comics. Manga in Japanese MEANS comics.
You can argue from the general to the specific, but not from the specific to the general.
Manga are comics, but not all comics are manga.

I'm sick of the weird ass racism applied to this art form (though it also happens to animation too). That in stores comics from different countries end up being segregated, like it's embarrassing to be seen next to each other. Japan owes how manga became thanks to Osamu Tezuka, who in turn LOVED Walt Disney and American comics. We shouldn't be enemies! We should be inspiring each other! *A*

(1) More manga available for sale anywheres is always a GOOD thing :-)

(2) Personally I like the wares to be separated by country, so we can better appreciate the differences in cultures. Most wine shops I visit separate wines by country and sometimes by region too. A pinot noir grape expresses itself VERY differently in the nearby Wilamette Valley compared to Burgundy, France even though the latitudes are similar.

Vive La Différence!

Offline iceytina

• Cabbit
    • Cashlin Snow's Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 11:02:51 pm »
Yes. My comic education went like this: Sailor Moon > Pokemon > Astro Boy > American Comics > Korean Manhwa > Taiwanese Manga.
Comic book stores should carry Japanese and American comics, and hopefully, if there was a good enough demand, even comics from other countries too.
My comic shop is Odyssey Comics in Vancouver. They have a small shelf near the back of the store where used Manga is, and only have that because people sold the Manga to them. But they admitted that when they have Manga, they get phone calls from people who come and buy it fairly quickly... hint hint for them ...

The question here is not so much "is there a demand?" as "can I market my store right so people know I have Manga here?"
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:03:24 pm by iceytina »

Offline hotdgumi

• Cabbit
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 09:18:20 pm »
I totally think so! If my local comic book store held manga id go and buy some in a heartbeat! I think a few good mangas to sell are highschool of the dead (that one would be popular I would think especially for the male customers) blue exorcist (its pretty awesome im obsessed with both the anime and the manga, and maxoka magica.  :)
2014 Kumoricon cosplaying as magnet Megurine Luka, Matryoshka Luka, and random cat anime girl :D