Anime or SciFi

Anime
11 (30.6%)
SciFi
8 (22.2%)
Both Equally
17 (47.2%)

Total Members Voted: 33

Author Topic: Anime is good, but I like SciFi better.  (Read 8242 times)

u2205

Anime is good, but I like SciFi better.
« on: January 03, 2010, 05:34:28 pm »
I don't know about you guys, but I'm really a SciFi guy myself. I do enjoy quite a few Animes but I will, and have always been, a SciFi nerd. Because of this I feel a bit weird at Anime Conventions because the do focus on Anime. Is there anyone else out there that's a huge SciFi fan like me?

Offline Styx

• Sailor Scout
Re: Anime is good, but I like SciFi better.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 06:14:24 pm »
Well... no.  I mean... Moderately?

I know what Star Trek is, does that count?

I like the IDEA of Sci-Fi, but not enough to, go out, get books, that sort of thing.  But I did really love the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series.

Also, I do get this reference:  There ARE FOUR LIGHTS!

Lolzors.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 07:35:34 pm »
I had to go with the both equally choice. Plus much anime falls into the sci-fi category. And for the next while, my local library has mostly sci-fi books that I have read, and I can't tell if much new is coming out, so this Winter may be so devastatingly dull to me, no football, and nothing to read at work.

I wonder if this computer is genuinely infected???
Have Fun

Jay

Offline tofutakeout

• Bunnygirl
    • Deviantart
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 08:02:54 pm »
The "Syfy" Channel is one of my favorite channels and its definitely a favorite genre of mine. But in truth I love them pretty much equally.

I'm for science.
da/tumblr
Pull the trigger, pull the trigger, pull the trigger. BOOM

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 08:36:05 pm »
I'm a SciFi guy, but more in the SteamPunk sense.

I need to find a way to get to SteamCon next year.
moderators gonna moderate </shrug>

Offline Styx

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 09:15:50 pm »

I'm for science.

I agree, because anything can be solved... with Science!

Offline acton

• Sailor Scout
    • Acton's Hermitage
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 11:09:38 pm »
I am a big Science fiction guy. For me my interest in anime come out of anime  with a strong space opera or science fiction theme for example Ghost in the Shell series.

Offline Trumby

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2010, 12:51:53 am »
I'm not really sure if I like either of them better. Maybe anime a bit more..but I still do love scifi. Not sure I would ever go to a normal scifi con, though I am going to the Star Wars Celebration this year because I love me some Star Wars <3
2011 New Cosplay Plans: Boba Fett, Hoshi (Arakawa Under the Bridge), Malcolm Reynolds

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2010, 01:35:49 am »
I never got that much into sci-fi, but it's pretty chill.

Then again the only reason I got into anime was because of me basing around a career for animation :P
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 08:08:04 am »
They both suck on a whole but have their moments of brilliance.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2010, 09:20:22 am »
Pretty much any genre of media is going to suck as an average, so that's a pretty pointless thing to say.  There's a lot of really bad anime out there, and there's a lot of really bad Science Fiction out there, but neither genre invariably qualifies the content as "suck". 

Anime is just a term used to describe Japanese Cartoon Animation.  It's really just a culture-based art style used to portray storylines.  The content of the storylines is what I'm really interested in.  I tend to totally disregard animation style as long as scripting and acting are good, unless the animation is just completely botched.

Science Fiction on the other hand is a method of storytelling which I think is not only intriguing, but a great source of technological progress for society.  I think that a story which is capable of stimulating the mind and generating productivity is extremely powerful and valuable, especially in our uninspired and monotonous modern lifestyle.

As an unrelated note, I don't consider Star Trek or Star Wars (or other such media) SciFi by definition because they're illogical; the underlying principals that act as a foundation for their story is scientifically inconceivable.  I'd consider them Tech Fantasy.  But I guess I'm probably the only one who holds to such an anal nomeclature and obsolete denotations when the social connotations are so vastly different, so I'm not really going to argue in favor of my stance there.  I just want it to be known that when I say Science Fiction, I mean, literally, fiction based on science.

Also, because Star Wars allegedly took place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, wouldn't it be Historical Fiction? ;]

Offline ~boogiepop~

• Bunnygirl
    • Glorious Me
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2010, 10:40:05 am »
Oh Matt, you and your harsh statements made me realize how much I miss you ;.;
WHY DO THE FORUMS SUCK SO BAD?

~2012 cosplay mofos~
Ramona Flowers- Scott Pilgrim, Miria Harvent- Baccano!, Filia- Skullgirls, Milk- Pop'n Music

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2010, 02:48:02 am »
Also, because Star Wars allegedly took place a long time ago in a galaxy far far away, wouldn't it be Historical Fiction? ;]
Star Wars and Star Trek are definitely fantasy, not science fiction. The term "Anime" is used in a generally more nebulous fashion than what you have described so I don't think you're correct here. I'm too lazy to write more now. 
Oh Matt, you and your harsh statements made me realize how much I miss you ;.;
<3
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:54:58 am by ha~ma »

Offline SiderAnne

• Cabbit
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 03:44:03 pm »
I am saying that my interest was first in SciFi... and got expanded to include anime/manga.

I definitely wouldn't be the animefan that I am without SciFi. Cuz I wouldn't understand anything anime if I hadn't been exposed to the time/space continuum, antiheroes, and erratic chronology that SciFi opened up for me.
~~~* I don't always sing Ayumi Hamsaki in the shower *~~~

Offline Darknight2433

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 04:18:09 pm »
I'm way more of a Syfy (lololol) fan then anime, I love it.

Offline NARUNIK

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2010, 04:28:22 pm »

I'm for science.

Like Alchemy! WOOO!!

I like Star Wars.

I agree, because anything can be solved... with Science!

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 06:39:13 pm »
Patrick a.k.a. Mr_Mustash, if you love Fantasy and Sci-Fi so much I've got one name for you, "Orycon", it's a convention for fans of sci-fi and fantasy that's held every November here in Portland. This year once again it'll be held at the Doubletree Hotel next to lloyd's Center (Kumoricon's old stomping grounds.) If you love sci-fi and fantasy so much sign up for it, come to the convention, and have yourself a jolly old time ya' dig dude?
And also I'm an aspiring writer of sci-fi and fantasy so if you want to talk about it just PM me or e-mail me.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 06:41:01 pm »
Go to Dragoncon in Atlanta! I think more writers show up there. At least the writers I really like don't seem to be listed as attending Orycon.
Have Fun

Jay

Offline FynХоук

• Cabbit
« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2010, 12:37:45 pm »
I have to agree, SciFi is so much better then Anime. I love Stargate, Star Wars, Star Trek...etc. and SciFi books like Neal Stepenson and John Brunner!

I am Dark Link from 'The Twin Links'
I am the writer and mind behind all skits and videos.
I am awesome!

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 01:17:48 pm »
I only liked anime because I was into scifi and I got into technology stuff. My favorite Authors (in order) are Ray Bradbury, Phillip K. Dick, Kurt Vonnegut, H.p. Lovecraft and Terry Goodkind (yes more fantasy but ;;;>_>)
my favorite book is Sirens of Titan, closely followed by the masterpiece collection of Ray Bradbury vol. 1. Also I didn't know there was any other movies aside from Starwars before age 7 :D
so yes. I LOVE scifi :3

Offline RemSaverem

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2010, 06:37:15 am »
Ok first of all props to nightlotus because wow, slave Leia cosplay! Woo, kudos to you for having that kind of self-confidence!

2nd: This was my first Orycon. Orgycon???? Er, I know they have room parties...of which I did not partake...um??? *blushes* I know nothing of this.

the_creation_station@yahoogroups.com held our first fan creation-themed room at an SciFi con at Orycon 2009, & it was a tremendous amount of fun. If anyone wants to talk about some of  the differences experienced between KC & OC, that would be interesting.

Oh & speaking of H. P. Lovecraft (again @ nightlotus), we showed a Lovecraft fanfilm (featuring my aunt, & for which I help with publicity & editing), "Pickman's Muse", & held a Lovecraft fandom panel, at Orycon in our Creation Station!

Ellen. 2003: Fanfic panelist & contest judge.
2004: Beta Station Coord. 2005: Fan Creation Station Coord.;pre-event assistant to the con chair.2006: Fanfic Mgr/C.S. Coord.
2007, 8, 9, 10: Fan Creation Manager. 2011: Writing & Editing Coord (Publicity).

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2010, 01:16:50 am »
haha that cosplay is going to kill me so hard ;;>_>
but yes! i'm excited for it.
And now that I hear all these things about Orycon i may just have to attend :D
I love lovecraft :3 even throughout horrible scenes of pain and death he never goes (that) overboard and he really creates a world I physically find myself entering. Its so rare with modern writers to ever get the feeling of actually being there, but i find that in my favorite stories, I'm much more engaged visually even than i would be in a movie. Its pretty much impossible to describe how amazing it is to get sucked into an amazing sci-fi novel :3
I honestly have never been as connected with an anime or manga (even though they are inherently visual) than I have been with a simple page of printed word that creates a world i love! :3
*ranting now*

Offline ha~ma

• Sailor Scout
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2010, 06:21:31 pm »
Star Wars and Star Trek are definitely fantasy, not science fiction.

I would suggest leaving now. >:/
Science Fantasy thread imo

Offline Animeman73

• Catgirl
« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2010, 07:22:17 pm »
Actually Mr_Mustash I can tell you for a fact they've been cleaning up their act on that score. They do still have parties but as I said, they've really cleaned things up.
One cannot truly live life without having a sense of honor.

Offline DancingTofu

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #24 on: January 12, 2010, 07:21:47 am »
Star Wars and Star Trek are definitely fantasy, not science fiction.

I would suggest leaving now. >:/
Science Fantasy thread imo
This term is brilliant. :D

Offline jaybug

• Catgirl
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2010, 08:24:18 pm »
I recommend reading John Varley. I was flipping through the channels and hit C-SPAN and Brian Lamb was interviewing Tom Clancey (sic?) Anyway Tom said that John Varley was the best writer in America, he just happened to write sci-fi. So of his works my favs would be the Titan/Wizard/Demon trilogy, and The Golden Globe.

What, you never heard of Larry Niven, or Robert A. Heinlein? Isaac Asimov? I suggest you don't know sci-fi. lol
Have Fun

Jay

Offline Blue Leader

• Chibi
    • Blue Banshees Productions
« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2010, 10:45:35 am »
There's no doubt that I'm a sci-fi nut, especially when it comes to Star Wars (booyah!), but I like anime as well. I'd have to say that I enjoy both equally. :)

By the way, is anyone else here going to the Star Wars Celebration V?

This Year's Cosplay:
Jedi Knight, Heat Guy J(?)

Offline NightLotus

• Bunnygirl
« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2010, 04:52:50 pm »
I'm so jealous Patrick T^T
if i had the money i would be there with you :(
but i don't :'(